PDA

View Full Version : Does Rich time the comic updates?

Olorin Maia
2009-12-08, 04:45 AM
I haven't been reading the comic live until recently, but I was wondering if Rich often updates slower when the comic is progressing slower. I know in novels the author can write very tediously when the plot is progressing slowly, in order to show the passing of time. Does Rich do something similar?

*note* this is NOT a "when will Rich update thread; this is a "is Rich using a particular story telling technique thread*

Prowl
2009-12-08, 04:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that producing only two new comics in the past four weeks is not a storytelling device.

TDG
2009-12-08, 05:29 AM
Actually the comic update schedule is largely determined by the phase of the moon, the phase of the moon as seen from Jupiter, the number of open doors within Buckingham Palace and a herd of Gazelles outside of Nairobi. From all best estimates the comic was supposed to be updated today, but the Queen was sleepwalking last night and threw the whole thing off track.

rainbowjo
2009-12-08, 05:44 AM
Actually the comic update schedule is largely determined by the phase of the moon, the phase of the moon as seen from Jupiter, the number of open doors within Buckingham Palace and a herd of Gazelles outside of Nairobi. From all best estimates the comic was supposed to be updated today, but the Queen was sleepwalking last night and threw the whole thing off track.

...I think you win at life

Turkish Delight
2009-12-08, 05:49 AM
Despite claims to the contrary, I'm absolutely convinced that the comic updating is tied to the number of locked threads by people asking when the comic will update. This is why it often takes awhile for it to at last be posted; the people, unaware that they could get a new comic in minutes or hours just by posting six threads asking when the new comic is coming and getting them locked, have to start getting a bit antsy before the pre-requisite number is reached.

If they truly understood the reality of it, we could be wrapping this comic up within the week. The forum wouldn't be much fun to read, though.

This week's number is 12, so we may be waiting awhile.

Mugen Nightgale
2009-12-08, 05:58 AM
Sheriff is probably on his way.

rangermania
2009-12-08, 06:16 AM
Come on people do not automate this one... This is not a "When it will be up?" thread.

This guy is asking if Rich is following a realtime basis with the comic. And the answer is a perfect "NO":smallbiggrin:

rainbowjo
2009-12-08, 06:51 AM
Come on people do not automate this one... This is not a "When it will be up?" thread.

This guy is asking if Rich is following a realtime basis with the comic. And the answer is a perfect "NO":smallbiggrin:

I dunno though, the when the soul-splice arc started getting intense we got pretty good update rates, much better then currently.

factotum
2009-12-08, 07:33 AM

It's still pretty much tantamount to asking "Is there a reason the latest comic isn't posted yet?"...

Turkish Delight
2009-12-08, 07:57 AM
It's still pretty much tantamount to asking "Is there a reason the latest comic isn't posted yet?"...

Since blatantly asking the question gets your thread locked, and yet the underlying sentiment is very much the elephant in the room when the comic gets two updates in four weeks, it's not surprising people try to find a work-around by rephrasing things or hiding the true intent in some fashion.

Someone around here should learn how to say 'When is the next comic?' in Latin.

Spirited Charge
2009-12-08, 08:32 AM
I dunno though, the when the soul-splice arc started getting intense we got pretty good update rates, much better then currently.

I agree. I think that the speed of updates depends on two things (outside of Rich's everyday life).

1) Is it a major plot point? I would asume that such strips, in the most general terms, were already planned ahead. For the soul-splice example, Rich had probably thought about what would happen there a long time ago. This idea follows along the lines of having a overall story arc.

2) Is it continuous? Does the new strip have a direct connection to the previous one, or is it 'relatively' off topic? Starting an essay, at least for me, is the hardest part of the essay. Once I've got it rolling, it is a lot easier to move from line to line.

truemane
2009-12-08, 09:24 AM
Someone around here should learn how to say 'When is the next comic?' in Latin.

Quando Gigans libellum picturarum secundum provulgabitis?

Colloquially:
When will the Giant publish his next comic?

Literally:
When will the Giant spread his next trashy book of pictures among the ignorant masses?

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-08, 09:50 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: It doesn't matter how you word it, discussions about when the comic gets posted is not permitted.