PDA

View Full Version : Nerdgasmic!

Serpentine
2009-12-08, 05:22 AM
So tell me, folks, what gets your nerdgasm on? What gets you really excited?
Could be non-nerd stuff, I suppose, but that'd be going against my reason for starting this thread, which is:

The queen ant I caught last night is digging a big tunnel in my new AntWorks space-agey ant farm! :smallbiggrin: She's stopped digging down, and I think she's now enlarging the tunnel into (hopefully) a nursery...
Gotta figure out how to join two together at some point. There's a picture on ThinkGeek of two joined together at the sides by what seems to be some sort of screw and a piece of clear hose, but I don't think I have the resources or skills for that.

Who
2009-12-08, 05:40 AM
What gets my nerd on? Easy, Doctor Who christmas special (Only 18 more days to go!). That and the new Ghostbusters game, contiuity nods galore. What do you do with an ant farm anyway?

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-08, 05:44 AM
I've never heard of these, but they look really cool.

Unfortunately, it looks like if you want to join them together, you needed to have thought of it ahead of time.

Linky (http://www.antworkstoys.com/contents/en-us/d21.html) to tunneled AntWorks farms.

Zincorium
2009-12-08, 05:45 AM
Successful water-cooled electronics.

Let's face it, when you introduce a liquid into an environment full of potential shorts and it doesn't blow up in your face, that's pretty awesome.

I just recently got my own watercooling system set up, and it's... ugly. Ugly but functional.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-08, 05:57 AM
Mythbusters crushing the puny Apollo hoax theory between the pincers of Logic and Science. Mythbusters in general, actually.
20 sided fuzzy dice. I don't own a car, and I want some.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-08, 06:01 AM
20 sided fuzzy dice.I have some of these! My daughter got them for me for Christmas two years ago. I love them.

Shyftir
2009-12-08, 06:01 AM
New Mechwarrior game is coming out soon. /nerdgasm

Serpentine
2009-12-08, 06:02 AM
What do you do with an ant farm anyway?What do you do with pet fish, anyway? :smalltongue:
I've never heard of these, but they look really cool.

Unfortunately, it looks like if you want to join them together, you needed to have thought of it ahead of time.

Linky (http://www.antworkstoys.com/contents/en-us/d21.html) to tunneled AntWorks farms.Aww man, they look ossum!
Assuming this is the species of ant I think it is, the workers can get through the air holes in the lid (put tape over them, once I figured that out. Actually, I put pins in them first, cuz I didn't think of tape...). I may see if there's some way of sealing on a horseshoe-shaped piece of tube to let them into a second farm...
edit: A local hardware store gave me free screws for my bed* once. I might go back there and see if they have any thoughts... May even buy one of those joiny ones for it.

*for, not on!

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-08, 06:15 AM
*for, not on!

That would sort of be 'gasmic, wouldn't it?

Ravens_cry
2009-12-08, 06:17 AM
I have some of these! My daughter got them for me for Christmas two years ago. I love them.
Ever used them in game?:smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-08, 06:30 AM
Ever used them in game?:smallcool:Well, no. If I had them available for a game, I wouldn't have them hanging from my rear view mirror. Also, that pesky rope in between them would make it awkward to roll them. :smallcool:

Athaniar
2009-12-08, 06:32 AM
I went to a sci-fi convention the day before yesterday, it was awesome. A great hall filled with nerds and nerd stuff. Props, celebrities, stormtroopers... real awesome. Also, I bought three RPG books for a total of *opens universal currency converter* 12 dollars (LotR RPG Core Book and two Star Trek books) there.

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 07:43 AM
:smallcool: Spoiler tagged because.. Well, I don't want to ruin the surprise for the UK meetup attendees.

UK meetup attendees, please don't click on the spoiler, cause you'll ruin the surprise.

Seriously, if you're planning on attending the UK meetup this weekend, don't click the spoiler.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/Meet-Dice2.jpg
Meet-gifts. :smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 07:59 AM
Those look awesome.

Glad you found somebody else, sorry I kinda got busy with RL and such. >.>:smallfrown::smallredface:

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 08:04 AM
Those look awesome.

Glad you found somebody else, sorry I kinda got busy with RL and such. >.>:smallfrown::smallredface:

No worries. :smallsmile: And yes, they did turn out quite well.

Dispozition
2009-12-08, 08:17 AM
Iron Man. That just turns me on, seriously :P

But actually, Iron Man is cool, but simply because he wears a powered suit. Big ass mechs are pretty much the go with me. When I recieve a game I ordered a few days ago I'll probably have a nerdgasm.

GoC
2009-12-08, 08:21 AM
At the moment nothing.
Things that have in the past:
1. A new realization/concept in physics or rationality. Seem to have run out of easily accessable instances of these...
2. Mathematical analysis.
3. Working on constructing mega-large numbers (beyond your comprehension I'm afraid:smalltongue:).
4. Making grobots.
5. Certain webcomics when read for the first time (to date Drowtales: Moonless Age, some parts of Schlock Mercenary and Girl Genius).
6. Some computer games I was addicted to.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-08, 09:10 AM
Ok, not all really considered nerdy, but they are things I get nerdy about.
1. New art supplies, especially DMC thread.
2. Musical gadgets and new sheet music.
3. Webcomics, lately Girl Genius, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Sinfest.
4. The German language, usually.

dangerprawn
2009-12-08, 09:35 AM
Finding a new dictionary. I've got just over 20 different dictionaries for special topics. Things like Geography, Musical Composers, Word Origins, Biographical, a reverse dictionary.

I've got a dictionary of pirates. This one, actually. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K6A3HDQQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And an actual hardcopy of the Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue. Or, you know, thieves cant.

Ilena
2009-12-08, 09:42 AM
So tell me, folks, what gets your nerdgasm on? What gets you really excited?
Could be non-nerd stuff, I suppose, but that'd be going against my reason for starting this thread, which is:

The queen ant I caught last night is digging a big tunnel in my new AntWorks space-agey ant farm! :smallbiggrin: She's stopped digging down, and I think she's now enlarging the tunnel into (hopefully) a nursery...
Gotta figure out how to join two together at some point. There's a picture on ThinkGeek of two joined together at the sides by what seems to be some sort of screw and a piece of clear hose, but I don't think I have the resources or skills for that.

omg thats awesome!!!! ive always wanted to have a queen ant, and have a 20 gallon fish tank with a connection pipe to another one that has a food source, and have another one connected to that with another colony .... ant wars! ... ya im evil ... :P

Gullara
2009-12-08, 11:32 AM
:smallcool: Spoiler tagged because.. Well, I don't want to ruin the surprise for the UK meetup attendees.

UK meetup attendees, please don't click on the spoiler, cause you'll ruin the surprise.

Seriously, if you're planning on attending the UK meetup this weekend, don't click the spoiler.

You do not know how badly I want to come to the UK meet up now.

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 11:38 AM
You do not know how badly I want to come to the UK meet up now.

:smallbiggrin: depending on how many actually show up there might be a few left over after the meet that could be up for grabs on a first come, first serve basis for people who want one.

Ilena
2009-12-08, 11:56 AM
I want them too but im not even close to the uk :P

truemane
2009-12-08, 11:58 AM
Latin!

Any time I can throw down some spontaneous Latin in an otherwise normal conversation, it's a good day. Same with outdated or seldom-used words (like gruntle!), formal psychological phenomena, Shakespeare quotations, pedantic grammatical corrections and anything else where the lint trap in the back of my brain coughs up a nugget of perfectly useless information (and it's got LOTS). I get extra points when the recipient of this information thinks I'm competing with them, socially, or that I'm trying to make myself sound smarter than they are.

It's even more fun when the lint trap coughs up something that falls under the particular sphere of expertise of the person with whom I'm speaking. Like busting out some crazy historical fact in front of a History Teacher. Or some obscure piece of slang in front of a member of a fringe group.

Makes me smile all day when that happens.

Gullara
2009-12-08, 12:02 PM
:smallbiggrin: depending on how many actually show up there might be a few left over after the meet that could be up for grabs on a first come, first serve basis for people who want one.

I would sell my soul for one of those. I'll be checking right after the meet up if there are any extra.

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 12:13 PM
I would sell my soul for one of those. I'll be checking right after the meet up if there are any extra.

Ooohh.. Nice.. A spare soul could come in handy at some point. I'll have to remember that.

smellie_hippie
2009-12-08, 12:13 PM

I would sell your soul for one of those as well... :smalltongue:

Pauwel
2009-12-08, 12:17 PM
Whenever I get my hands on a new synthesizer I have massive nerdgasms. My latest acquisition is a Moog Little Phatty, my first analog synth, and I immediately went crazy with the knob-tweaking.
Listening to music and analysing odd time signatures and/or harmonies also tends to give me nerdgasms - though I usually just listen to the music ;)

Gullara
2009-12-08, 12:32 PM
Ooohh.. Nice.. A spare soul could come in handy at some point. I'll have to remember that.

I would sell your soul for one of those as well... :smalltongue:

Hey hey hey, hands off the soul people:smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-08, 12:37 PM
Hey hey hey, hands off the soul people:smallamused:

*puts away scythe and black cowl*

awwwwww...:smallfrown:

Miklus
2009-12-08, 12:42 PM
Is this the ultimate nerd music video???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI

Personally I like computer games way too much...and astronomy!

Gullara
2009-12-08, 12:45 PM
*puts away scythe and black cowl*

awwwwww...:smallfrown:

Who knew my soul was so desirable?

Anywho what was the topic of the thread again? Oh right, I'd have to say that the origin of most of my nergasms come from getting a new fantasy RPG or new Magic cards.

Icewalker
2009-12-08, 12:59 PM
Significant advancements in transhumanist esque fields and elements on a commercial scale. For example, the EyeTap (http://www.nerdmodo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/eyetap-thumb1.jpg) (not commercial yet. :smallfrown: )

Mystic Muse
2009-12-08, 01:44 PM
me and my friends getting together for a quality game of D&D.

although that really just makes me happy. doesn't make me have a nerdgasm.

Shyftir
2009-12-08, 02:53 PM
I remember one time me and a buddy hit up the game store and bought a game thinking it had two-player co-op mode for Armored-Core. I nerdgasmed in the store upon finding it, audibly.

After we got back to his house we realized that the co-op was ONLINE ONLY. We were very annoyed. I mean seriously, who does that...

Telonius
2009-12-08, 02:57 PM
I work at a science journal. All I have to do is read one of the papers that comes in every day. Science as it happens!

Lioness
2009-12-08, 05:56 PM
New books, Baron Munchausen (not the actual guy...), and learning awesome words, like defenestration. And then learning their roots.

bibliophile
2009-12-08, 06:27 PM
Space travel.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 06:31 PM
Any and all things related to:

Final Fantasy
Dr. Who
Star Wars

Also:
Plotting ways to circumvent the D&D Wish rules that I know I'll never use.
Alphabetising my DVDs
Pretending to squish the heads of people who are far away

And I'm really proud of myself for not looking in the spoiler, coz I'm going to the UKITP meetup. I am however now bursting with anticipation to know what's so good that RPG would sell their soul for, and I'm getting one for free (maybe).

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 06:41 PM
And I'm really proud of myself for not looking in the spoiler, coz I'm going to the UKITP meetup. I am however now bursting with anticipation to know what's so good that RPG would sell their soul for, and I'm getting one for free (maybe).

You're not getting one. You're getting two.:smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 06:57 PM
You're not getting one. You're getting two.:smallbiggrin:

I really hope they aren't puppys now. Because my landlord doesn't allow pets :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2009-12-08, 07:04 PM
:smallcool:

where did you get these done? I'd kill for some

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 07:19 PM

YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!!!! :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2009-12-08, 07:21 PM

PM sent.. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2009-12-08, 07:57 PM
Space travel.
Absolutely. Watching, hearing, feeling the rumbling inferno claw it's way towards the heavens on a trail of smoke and thunder.
Space travel is AWESOME.

Setra
2009-12-08, 09:04 PM
Trailers for videogames I am highly anticipating

Right now only Final Fantasy XIII related stuff does it.

... .. Uh.. I mean.. I'm not a Square-Enix fan! *Flees*

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 09:46 PM
playing agaainst soulja boy on halo 3.
he was surprisingly good.

Perenelle
2009-12-08, 10:08 PM
Star Trek, Explosions, Mythbusters, Greek Mythology, UNCG Summer Music Camp :smallbiggrin: , and Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff. I'm probably missing something. :smalltongue:

ooh! random sciency-facts! :smallbiggrin:

waterpenguin43
2009-12-08, 10:12 PM
Music from Kirby and Pokemon, among several other things.

Trobby
2009-12-08, 10:13 PM
Star Trek, Explosions, Mythbusters, Greek Mythology, UNCG Summer Music Camp :smallbiggrin: , and Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff. I'm probably missing something. :smalltongue:

ooh! random sciency-facts! :smallbiggrin:

I'd say "Firefly", but I think that's covered by Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff.

Hmm...Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Edit: *Checks the first page* Oh, our OWN nerdgasm things?

...Well, most of those qualify anyway...of course THESE FORUMS are my main fuel, but if there is one thing and one thing only I nerdgasm for?

Video Games. Classic. Video. Games.

More classic, more better. Give me a Super Mario Bros. Any Super Mario Bros. Link? Hell yeah. Samus? Awesome. Kirby? SOOO CUUUUTE! Pokemon? Well..a little more lukewarm than the others, but still awesome.

Once you get past 1996 though, it starts to wane a bit. I mean there's still some good classic games, but a lot of it starts to become too "new" to really make me salivate.

Of course, if it happens to be a REALLY GOOD new game, or a game that is based on one of the classic awesome titles...

Mmm...though in case you couldn't tell, I AM mostly a Nintendo Nerd...but only by trade. I will play any other console if the opportunity presents itself, and the game is good.

DnD is also way up there. And Star Wars. And DnD Star Wars (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/).

Also, Disney Cartoons. I think that liking them counts as a nerdy thing now, yes? Especially the stuff that was on during the Disney Afternoon, like Ducktales, Tailspin, Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, Timon & Pumba, etc.?

Schlega
2009-12-08, 10:19 PM
I work at a science journal. All I have to do is read one of the papers that comes in every day. Science as it happens!

I am so jealous right now. My biggest recent nerdgasm was reading this (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090903163725.htm). MAGNETIC FREAKING MONOPOLES, PEOPLE!

Trobby
2009-12-08, 10:31 PM
Incidentally, that 8bit video? The beetle that appears on the pyramid?

That's a Buzzy Beetle. And Super Mario Bros. was the first game in which they appeared. There are very few enemies like it (unless you count Spinys, but they really don't count since they can so easily be defeated by fireballs), though the spike-top Buzzy Beetles were a pretty unique adaption in the Paper Mario series. As well as the Bony Beetles from Super Mario World, which incidentally could also sprout spikes.

Setra
2009-12-08, 11:09 PM
Is this the ultimate nerd music video???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI

Personally I like computer games way too much...and astronomy!
Okay there's two words for that video... "HOLY ****"

I mean seriously, that's AMAZING.

golentan
2009-12-08, 11:28 PM
Let's see. Number 1, far and away, RPGs. I have owned... AD&D 2e, 3e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 4e (sold it recently though. Bleck), Gurps, WoD (changeling, mage and werewolf in new, vampire in old), Exalted, Traveller (multiple editions and formats), MnM, D20 modern, Star wars D6, Star Wars Saga, Shadowrun, Naruto, BESM, Dark Heresy, and Call of Cthulhu over the years. And probably half a dozen others I got as PDFs off online stores. And now I'm writing my own, with every intent to publish by second quarter 2010. It's gotten to the point where some of them blur into each other, esp. all the d20 clones, and I can't remember whether certain things are items, feats, or class features without looking it up.

Now, second thing: Biology. I love animals. Love love love. I will sit and stare at a squirrel or fish for hours, taking notes on their behavior and morphology. If I find a dead one, I'll see how it's articulated (while wearing gloves, of course, I'm not a moron). Humans too, but they confuse me in all sorts of ways. And they won't let me near any more bodies.

Now, third thing: Video game... videos. I don't play that many video games, but I love catching Yahtzee ripping some poor unsuspecting game a new one, or watching a video playthrough of TF2 strategies. Abridged series tickle the same set of nerves, for some reason.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-08, 11:45 PM
Cavestory. Definitely cavestory. (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/) The sheet beautiful retroness of it is turly nerdgasmic.
Other than that... probably rolling a 20 (or a 1, in the old days) for a pivotal thing, causing you to succeed spectacularly against all odds in whatever RPG. That's always cool.

Then again, in less game-y terms but still definitely nerdy terms, far and away....
Lolita. Lo. Lee. Ta. (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/nabokov/lo_excerpt.html) Nothing can compare.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-09, 12:11 AM
I would sell your soul for one of those as well... :smalltongue:*hatches plan*
But since this is several hours after hippie saw this, he's probably got it to much more than a plan by this point.

Lord Blace
2009-12-09, 12:53 AM
1. My Mauvey.
2. TOR!!!
3. Fallout 3... actually, a lot of video games.
I'm sure I'll be able to think of more later.

Rogue 7
2009-12-09, 01:23 AM
Really good chapters of my favorite Manga. When Negima and Naruto updated on the same day last week, and were both absolutely awesome, I was giddy for the rest of the day.

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 02:10 AM
More classic, more better. Give me a Super Mario Bros. Any Super Mario Bros. Link? Hell yeah. Samus? Awesome. Kirby? SOOO CUUUUTE! Pokemon? Well..a little more lukewarm than the others, but still awesome.I own a SNES, and Lufia, Bubsy (most recent acquisition), Super Mario World (I think), Yoshi's Island (my favourite game ever), Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, Lion King, and various others including a Gameboy converter and accompanying Pokemon Blue.
But the cable's broken, and I need to buy a new one to play any of them again :smallfrown:

My queen's tunnel is now a total of about 5 inches (not taking into account possible distortion from the gel and plastic), including two bends at the 1 and 2 inch marks. There's also a small side-tunnel at the 4th inch.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-09, 02:13 AM
Star Wars. So hard. SO HARD.
Celebration is going to be in August in Florida, and I'm going to cosplay Ahsoka and my best friend is going to cosplay Shaak Ti and we are nerding out horribly.

Labyrinth and David Bowie illicit much excited fangirling.

The Beatles.

Joker/Harley Quinn...

Mmm, that may be it.

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-09, 03:31 AM
Things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUlRc2i1Jg&NR=1).

Athaniar
2009-12-09, 03:55 AM
More things:

New RPG books. I collect them. Also Dragon magazines. I collect them too.

New Warcraft stuff, like expansions, patches, and books. When Cataclysm was announced, I was on WoW listening (well, not really) to a guy with the live feed telling us all about the news. When the announcement arrived, well, it was something special. Probably even better than actually watching the feed, because I got to hear (well, not really) other players' reactions.

New episodes of TV series I like. The latest (well, the one before that, actually, but I don't count clipshows as real episodes) episode of Death Note I saw, for example, was awesome. Also new movies, of course, especially when watched in cinema.

New Order of the Stick comics, of course.

New novels, occasionally.

HotAndCold
2009-12-09, 04:58 AM
-Luxurious yarns. Feeling up a skein or sample of bamboo yarn, for example, is just wonderful.
-Getting to use some of the more obscure members of my vocabulary, like "callipygian" or "defenestration".
-Learning weird facts that I did not previously know, like how loofahs are grown from seeds!
-Doing simple arithmetic on paper with pencil. It's just more satisfying that way.
-Awesome OotS updates
-Awesome RvB updates
-Anything that makes me go "oh holy ****!" in general
-Learning and/or explaining the complex history of a fictional world/character
-Snow :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 05:50 AM
Having been re-reading the comics I can now safely add Tsukiko to the list.

And while the fact that I'm madly in love with her (yes I know she's a stick figure, leave me alone), but also it's partly the fact that she's a Mystic Theurge. I don't care if they're underpowered. SO. MANY. SPELLS!!! I would sell RPGsr4me's soul to be one :smallcool:

KuReshtin
2009-12-09, 06:49 AM
Having been re-reading the comics I can now safely add Tsukiko to the list.

And while the fact that I'm madly in love with her (yes I know she's a stick figure, leave me alone), but also it's partly the fact that she's a Mystic Theurge. I don't care if they're underpowered. SO. MANY. SPELLS!!! I would sell RPGsr4me's soul to be one :smallcool:

RPG's soul is already being sold to me by, so far, RPG himself, Smellie Hippie and Bor. You're going to have to stand in line to sell his soul. It's mine!

rakkoon
2009-12-09, 10:33 AM
Dice, dice , dice.
Wooden ones, spinning top shaped ones, silvery metal, any kind of dice will do.
If I find a new one, life becomes (even) better for a day or so.

Gullara
2009-12-09, 10:44 AM
Trailers for videogames I am highly anticipating

Right now only Final Fantasy XIII related stuff does it.

... .. Uh.. I mean.. I'm not a Square-Enix fan! *Flees*

I'm with you there, Final Fantasy games are great.

Oh and I forgot new Fantasy novels, I love a good book.

And what is with everybody and my soul:smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 10:50 AM
I'm with you there, Final Fantasy games are great.

Oh and I forgot new Fantasy novels, I love a good book.

And what is with everybody and my soul:smallamused:

Apparently it tastes like raspberry, which as we all know is a nerd's favourite flavour.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-09, 10:51 AM
Apparently it tastes like raspberry, which as we all know is a nerd's favourite flavour.

I thought it was Mountain Dew?

Or Dr. Pepper if you're strange like me...

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 11:02 AM
I thought it was Mountain Dew?

Or Dr. Pepper if you're strange like me...

Dr. Pepper is awesome.

I have nothing useful to say, just thought I'd mention it.

Gullara
2009-12-09, 11:06 AM

Really? *tastes* What do you know, my soul is delicious.

Shyftir
2009-12-09, 11:15 AM
Did I mention BattleMechs? Oh I did? Well STILL BATTLEMECHS!

Oh and when a favorite author releases a new book, like when the new WoT book came out. (I know different author) Or when ever Modesitt comes back to Recluce.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-09, 02:56 PM
Sixth Edition of the Hero System Rpg.

Cthulu flavored mouthwash.

Usb powered pet rock.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 03:04 PM
...Cthulu flavored mouthwash.

Usb powered pet rock.

I need more info on both of these. NOW!!! :smalltongue:

Athaniar
2009-12-09, 03:30 PM
Speaking of drinks, my absolute favorite is Vanilla Coke. Both nerdgasmic and tastegasmic!
Making up words is fun.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-09, 03:35 PM
I need more info on both of these. NOW!!! :smalltongue:
I saw the last one in a Thinkgeek catalogue.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 03:44 PM
Speaking of drinks, my absolute favorite is Vanilla Coke. Both nerdgasmic and tastegasmic!
Making up words is fun.

It's bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

cycoris
2009-12-09, 03:45 PM
1. Philosophy
2. Linguistics
3. Literature
4. Pedantic grammatical corrections
5. Craft supplies
6. Tie-dye
7. Dr Pepper and all-nighters

...I'm sure that there are more, I just can't think of them right now.

HotAndCold
2009-12-09, 06:06 PM
Usb powered pet rock.

Working 2 gig thumb drive that is also a Transformer (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/56/Device_Label_Ravage.jpg).

Coplantor
2009-12-09, 07:22 PM
Right now, google wave.

EDIT: Oh,and remembering my dreams, they are SO AWESOME!

Trobby
2009-12-09, 08:00 PM
I own a SNES, and Lufia, Bubsy (most recent acquisition), Super Mario World (I think), Yoshi's Island (my favourite game ever), Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, Lion King, and various others including a Gameboy converter and accompanying Pokemon Blue.
But the cable's broken, and I need to buy a new one to play any of them again :smallfrown:

Never got into Lufia, or Bubsy for that matter. Yoshi's Island, however, is probably my third or fourth favorite game ever, and easily my favorite Mario game. :3 (In case you are wondering, near the top 3 are Kirby's Adventure, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Golden Axe 2, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.)

I never had a Super NES though, so I had to rediscover Yoshi's Island through the GBA remake. :( (Though incidentally, thank you GBA remakes! ^w^) And I was a Pokemon Red kid myself. Despite my preference for Squirtle.

Other thing that makes my gamer heart warm: Seeing well-versed girl gamers. I remember when they were thought to be unheard of. It's always nice to see good gaming diversity. ^.^

Star Wars. So hard. SO HARD.
Celebration is going to be in August in Florida, and I'm going to cosplay Ahsoka and my best friend is going to cosplay Shaak Ti and we are nerding out horribly.

Oh Rabbi...never change. :smallredface:

Kallisti
2009-12-10, 12:13 AM

...is nerdlust a word if nerdgasm is?

Seriously, though, how much would it cost to get a spare set mailed to the States? I want those so badly...

EDIT: In addition to RPGsr4Me's soul. That seems to be where the bidding starts.

llamamushroom
2009-12-10, 10:14 AM
1. Being told that my school was doing a musical for the first time in years.
2. Discovering that it's Les Miserables
3. Auditioning for Les Mis, and being able to get that oh-so-important F
4. Being cast as Javert. Apparently, I was the first person to be cast. Because I can play villains. And I get to grow my hair out even more.
5. LES MIS!!!

Sorry, we had the info night... technically yesterday. We did the whole "we'll work around your other commitments, but for the two weeks before the show YOU ARE OURS!" spiel, followed by the exciting announcement of a drama "bootcamp". And then we watched the concert version. With the possible exception of Thernardier, Javert is by far the coolest.

Again, sorry. I'm still nergasm-ing.

loopy
2009-12-10, 10:39 AM
I gave my artsy friend rachel a nerd/artgasm today when I gave her an Intuos3 9x12" Graphics Tablet I had lying around.

Her joy made me feel awesome, plus I get the benefit of her doing a bunch of art for me for free now, including the design of my next tat. :smallbiggrin:

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-10, 01:03 PM
My new gaming table that I made
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Random%20Crap/NewImage.jpg

Gullara
2009-12-10, 01:04 PM
My new gaming table that I made
*snipped*

That is so awesome.

Trobby
2009-12-10, 01:24 PM
That is so awesome.

Second'd for pure truth. That is indeed awesome. ;w; To think, we had to make due with game mats at my college, ones that would roll up and refuse to lay straight for our games. Ones we had to weigh down with books and STILL couldn't get to stay flat.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 01:25 PM
Second'd for pure truth. That is indeed awesome. ;w; To think, we had to make due with game mats at my college, ones that would roll up and refuse to lay straight for our games. Ones we had to weigh down with books and STILL couldn't get to stay flat.

You fools, slaves to the game mat industry. Nothing is better than the power of a cheapskate DM's words, and the imagination of his players :smallcool:

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-10, 01:44 PM
the table cost less then the 28by28 game mat sitting on it.

Trog
2009-12-10, 01:51 PM
Synthetic opal dice.
Most things Tolkein.
Dunnies and other vinyl collectibles, especially greyscale ones.
New DnD books.
Any new Zelda game.

Zovc
2009-12-10, 02:23 PM
I had a nerdgasm winning at a Friday Night Magic with my friend and my deck called "The Punisher." I was told by each of my opponents in one way or another that they wanted to punch me in the face.

Here's the deck's premise:

"Punish Ignorance" is a counterspell from Shards of Alara, it reads, "Counter target spell. That spell's controller loses 3 life and you gain 3 life."

You can play four of any given card in a type 2 ("standard") tournament. Therefore, I can make my opponent lose 12 life with 4 punish ignorances. In comes Countersquall.

"Countersquall" is another counterspell (from Conflux, the set immediately after Shards of Alara) that reads "Counter target noncreature spell. Its controller loses 2 life."

So, that's a total of -8 life. Wait... -12 - 8 = -20! I can win by countering spells?!

Thus, "The Punisher" was born. I played a deck with nothing but counterspells, draw spells, and two Profane Commands, just in case I couldn't quite kill them with 8 counterspells.

My first opponent was a red deck, completely "balls to the wall." (I gave rise to that term at the hobby shop, it caught on for some reason--it means... well, going all in, I suppose.) The exact worse possible matchup I could play against.

Turn 1 he plays a Mogg Fanatic, my friend Joey's like, "Wow, he resolved a creature, Alex, you lose." I am like, "Yeah..." Next turn he plays a Hellspark Elemental and I don't counter it. I forget to mention I was playing Agony Warp, but it's exactly the removal spell I needed to get me through the entire night.

"Agony Warp" (also from Conflux) reads, "Target creature gets -3/-0 and another target creature gets -0/-3."

So, he attacks me with both of his creatures and I kill them both on his turn, then I untap my stuff on my turn and am ready to start countering each spell he plays. Yep, The Punisher beat red deck no problem. For the rest of the night, I met up with combo decks.

I had a great time that night.

Trobby
2009-12-10, 02:47 PM
You fools, slaves to the game mat industry. Nothing is better than the power of a cheapskate DM's words, and the imagination of his players :smallcool:

Bah! You question my ability to roleplay without a playmat? :p I'll have you know I do both!

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 02:52 PM
Bah! You question my ability to roleplay without a playmat? :p I'll have you know I do both!

Last Panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0343.html)

Trobby
2009-12-10, 02:55 PM
Last Panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0343.html)

...I have absolutely nothing to say here. Well...except that I have nothing to say.

Who
2009-12-10, 03:00 PM
I had a nerdgasm winning at a Friday Night Magic with my friend and my deck called "The Punisher." I was told by each of my opponents in one way or another that they wanted to punch me in the face.

Here's the deck's premise:

"Punish Ignorance" is a counterspell from Shards of Alara, it reads, "Counter target spell. That spell's controller loses 3 life and you gain 3 life."

You can play four of any given card in a type 2 ("standard") tournament. Therefore, I can make my opponent lose 12 life with 4 punish ignorances. In comes Countersquall.

"Countersquall" is another counterspell (from Conflux, the set immediately after Shards of Alara) that reads "Counter target noncreature spell. Its controller loses 2 life."

So, that's a total of -8 life. Wait... -12 - 8 = -20! I can win by countering spells?!

Thus, "The Punisher" was born. I played a deck with nothing but counterspells, draw spells, and two Profane Commands, just in case I couldn't quite kill them with 8 counterspells.

My first opponent was a red deck, completely "balls to the wall." (I gave rise to that term at the hobby shop, it caught on for some reason--it means... well, going all in, I suppose.) The exact worse possible matchup I could play against.

Turn 1 he plays a Mogg Fanatic, my friend Joey's like, "Wow, he resolved a creature, Alex, you lose." I am like, "Yeah..." Next turn he plays a Hellspark Elemental and I don't counter it. I forget to mention I was playing Agony Warp, but it's exactly the removal spell I needed to get me through the entire night.

"Agony Warp" (also from Conflux) reads, "Target creature gets -3/-0 and another target creature gets -0/-3."

So, he attacks me with both of his creatures and I kill them both on his turn, then I untap my stuff on my turn and am ready to start countering each spell he plays. Yep, The Punisher beat red deck no problem. For the rest of the night, I met up with combo decks.

I had a great time that night.

Don't suppose you could PM me a deck list could you?

Zovc
2009-12-10, 04:10 PM
Don't suppose you could PM me a deck list could you?

Done and done. This was 10th/Lorwyn/Shards, for the record. Most of the deck survived rotation and is still probably plausible, although I hear aggro is all over the meta.

Pocketa
2009-12-10, 09:57 PM
NYTimes, picture for an article about e-readers, picture of a kindle with the book "The Diamond Age" on it.

Beauty exists!

Gullara
2009-12-11, 10:19 AM
Done and done. This was 10th/Lorwyn/Shards, for the record. Most of the deck survived rotation and is still probably plausible, although I hear aggro is all over the meta.

Hey could you PM me that deck list too.

Trobby
2009-12-11, 11:54 AM
Mmm...I think Magic TG was ruined for me on the day someone tried to make me playtest their new deck. They had essentially made a brand new Green deck, and wanted to test it out against their black regeneration deck.

I had played all of zero magic games before then. As you might imagine, I lost horribly. D:

There is hope though, as I now have a full-white deck after an open Magic tournament....though I'm still probably not going to get into it. <.<; Just...seeking out all the right cards seems like it would be way too time-consuming.

...Even if it is awesome.

FoE
2009-12-11, 12:15 PM
I had a nerdgasm during the Spectacular Spider-Man episode where Mary Jane Watson was introduced. I don't mind saying that I Squee'd (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squee) like a 13-year-old Twifan on crack when she showed up at Pete's door and said, "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

Gullara
2009-12-11, 01:15 PM
Mmm...I think Magic TG was ruined for me on the day someone tried to make me playtest their new deck. They had essentially made a brand new Green deck, and wanted to test it out against their black regeneration deck.

I had played all of zero magic games before then. As you might imagine, I lost horribly. D:

There is hope though, as I now have a full-white deck after an open Magic tournament....though I'm still probably not going to get into it. <.<; Just...seeking out all the right cards seems like it would be way too time-consuming.

...Even if it is awesome.

I don't go out of my way to find cards, I just make a deck out of what I have and have fun.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 02:04 PM
Hey could you PM me that deck list too.

Prepare for an incoming message.

Gullara
2009-12-11, 02:10 PM
Prepare for an incoming message.

Excellent Beware the white text

KuReshtin
2009-12-15, 06:10 AM
Dice available!

We ended up with 11 people at the UK meetup, which means that 22 of the 40 dice have been given to the attendees.

So, I've got a bunch left.

Now, I've already had offers for RPGsr4me's soul for the dice, both from himself and others, so that's a good starting bid, I think.

Limited supply available. First come, first serve.
If you're interested, send me a PM, and we'll start negotiations.

Thank you.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-15, 06:13 AM
In the ten three minutes it took me to notice this update, how many PM's did you get? :smallcool:

KuReshtin
2009-12-15, 06:30 AM
In the ten three minutes it took me to notice this update, how many PM's did you get? :smallcool:

I've only had two so far. Yours was the first one.

The other PM I've got so far offered Smellie Hippie's soul for a pair of the dice.
The PM was NOT from Smellie Hippie.

Shyftir
2009-12-15, 06:33 AM
Actually getting to play WoW:TCG...

All my friends at home play magic or Yu-gi-oh!

My WoW:TCG buddies were at college...sniff

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-15, 08:33 AM
Books, linguistics, fantasy books, anything to do with the English language, 'classical literature', anything to do with learning Japanese, Ancient Greek, Latin or my current favourite language, writing, books.

I really like books.
Blackwells'; Blackwells' Norrington Room, big libraries, charity shops where I find books I've been looking for for years; G&S . . . lots of things really.
I mentioned a nerdgasm in RB back before this thread was made, it deserves recounting: my family are getting into my nerdiness by buying me really rather nerdy things for Christmas, and I love them for it.

GolemsVoice
2009-12-15, 09:07 AM
I really don't care much for rap and hip-hop, but I've got to ask:

playing agaainst soulja boy on halo 3.
he was surprisingly good.

The real thing? Wow.

Anyway. New books! New books! New technology, and new games. Actually, buying in general. Man. And working on completing my 1920s outfit, all I am missing is a vest and a proper shirt.

Trobby
2009-12-15, 12:41 PM
Books, linguistics, fantasy books, anything to do with the English language, 'classical literature', anything to do with learning Japanese, Ancient Greek, Latin or my current favourite language, writing, books.

I really like books.
Blackwells'; Blackwells' Norrington Room, big libraries, charity shops where I find books I've been looking for for years; G&S . . . lots of things really.
I mentioned a nerdgasm in RB back before this thread was made, it deserves recounting: my family are getting into my nerdiness by buying me really rather nerdy things for Christmas, and I love them for it.

In case you guys didn't notice, Koorly is the "Classy" nerd, the kind whose nerdiness is drawn from more traditional sources, like learning foreign languages, reading fantasy, studying histories, and other things that were considered very refined one and a half centuries ago.

...I miss one and a half centuries ago for this very reason, but I think the existence of computers makes up for it.

Still...I feel now like I could go for a bit of steampunk...but I don't actually know any good sources for Late Victorian style steampunk.

Can anybody help me here?

Quincunx
2009-12-15, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately not. All that I know, now, is that my fascination with the gears and non-electronic technology of steampunk is strongly linked with the "whirr, click click" sounds of a noisy old mechanical sewing machine as one leans on the pedal.

My name is Quincunx, and I am a fabric-aholic. (Hi, Quin.) I shop with my fingertips and pause at interesting textures. I sit spellbound by colors and prints available by-the-yard. Yes, I can sew it up into flattering garments, but does that move it into nerd territory. . .well, if it's not, there are those who have gone above (http://sydneyreef.blogspot.com/) and (http://www.enm.bris.ac.uk/staff/hinke/crochet/) beyond (http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/Quilts_-_Page_5.html) in their quest to unite crafts and nerdishness.

TheThan
2009-12-15, 03:40 PM
I had a nerdgasm during the Spectacular Spider-Man episode where Mary Jane Watson was introduced. I don't mind saying that I Squee'd (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squee) like a 13-year-old Twifan on crack when she showed up at Pete's door and said, "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

that is so totally awesome.

Dr. Bath
2009-12-15, 05:23 PM
Discworld football cards. Soon I shall be the proud owner of a full set.

Yes.