PDA

View Full Version : Dice Witch

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-08, 09:46 AM
Does anybody have a player like this? One who consistantly rolls twenties all the time. You think that they're dice are loaded so you give 'em new ones...and they still consistently roll twenties again? how do you deal with soemthing like that?

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 09:53 AM
Actually, sometimes it's the character, not the player. I had a character who on divine intervention checks (1% per level for clerics, 1% per five levels for non-clerics, 2e + homebrew rules), consistently rolled natural 01% on the dice every friggin' time. Imagine a level 1 cleric with a deity at his beck and call.

t_catt11
2009-12-08, 10:05 AM
If they are not cheating, and you know this for a fact, then their character is beloved of the gods, and you deal with it. :smallcool:

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-08, 10:11 AM
One of my GMs has a theory behind something similar to this: "If the plot demands (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BecauseDestinySaysSo) that it was meant to be, then the dice will roll accordingly (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RandomNumberGod)."

To be fair, this has lent us natural 1s in spades in countless fights, but the few 20s that reared their heads were crucial.

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 10:21 AM
One of my GMs has a theory behind something similar to this: "If the plot demands (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BecauseDestinySaysSo) that it was meant to be, then the dice will roll accordingly (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RandomNumberGod)."

To be fair, this has lent us natural 1s in spades in countless fights, but the few 20s that reared their heads were crucial.

I have to firmly agree with this. I played another character (female elven cleric of [insert nature deity here], again same 2e+homebrew) who was loved by and in love with a human bear totem barbarian. The only way out of a dungeon was to smash down a wall, and the only one who could do it was the barbarian, and only while he was raging (couldn't rage at will). We set off a fireball trap on a door, and I crit fumbled on the save. Insta-kill (I had like 10 HP left after the last fight). At seeing the death of his one, true love, the barbarian raged and smashed right through the wall, since there were no enemies to kill. The plot demanded my death, and I accepted the crit fumble with grace, knowing that it was deemed necessary by the gods. The dice always know the plot of the game before you do, and act accordingly.

bosssmiley
2009-12-08, 11:59 AM
Does anybody have a player like this? One who consistantly rolls twenties all the time. You think that they're dice are loaded so you give 'em new ones...and they still consistently roll twenties again? how do you deal with soemthing like that?

See if they weigh more than a duck. If they do: "burn the witch!" :smallamused:

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 12:02 PM
See if they weigh more than a duck. If they do: "burn the witch!" :smallamused:

"She turned me into a newt!"

Emmerask
2009-12-08, 12:03 PM
If you are good at dicing you can roll 20s all the time without using loaded dice... I´m not saying it must be the case here though :smallwink:

nekomata2
2009-12-08, 12:09 PM
"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

But really, i have a friend who always rols well. Long since sure he doesn't cheat, because he ALWAYS rolled in the open and his dice were always easy to read, but he was a dice jesus. He didn't often roll below a 15, hardly ever rolled below a 10, and tended to get small string of 20s, including 6 in-a-row with 6 separate dice.

My dice are bi-polar, always either high or low, never in the middle, and more often low.

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 12:15 PM
"I got better..."

pffh
2009-12-08, 12:28 PM
I'm like this when I DM, rarely roll under 15 so many encounters become much more lethal then I intend them to be.

On the other hand when I play I usually roll well for my stats but then roll poorly when playing. So I guess it evens out.

Mongoose87
2009-12-08, 12:29 PM
Personally, I never roll above 10 on initiative, and only roll 20s on skill checks, when playing a melee character. I'm the anti-witch.

Seatbelt
2009-12-08, 12:38 PM
The more work I put into an NPC the easier the encounter is for the players. I statted a vampire beguiler 7 levels above the party (so high on the CR chart it didn't grant them XP for beating it, because fighting one of those should have been a TPK) with the intention of messing with the party's mind a bit. Lots of save or suck, illusions, mind control, etc. She had all kinds of invisibility and stealth skills and things so as to not get caught. Her damage output was abysmal and I wasn't going to use the few save or die to death spells she had. So the party should have lived, after a very long night.

But the bastards rolled amazingly well on their saves. The fighter with a negative will save even after the cloak of resistance and 6 class levels NEVER failed a save, on DC 19 saves no less. She rolled terrible on all her stealth checks. Everything I threw at them bounced off like they had cast "Protection from Shenanigans" by an friggin epic level mage. They hunter her down and turned her in to mist.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-08, 12:40 PM
I have 2 people similar to your description.

The first is the one that is (effectively) 5 stats based on 3d6, and one stat that is 1d6/2 round down + 15 (I like high stats), and he rarely, if ever, has a stat below 13.
The other rolls normally EXCEPT when he's trying to pull off something insane, at which point he'll get amazing rolls until the very end. This was one of my favorites...

Him: "I disguise myself as Zard, the wizard."
DM(me): "Okay, but he's well known, so you'll take a nasty penalty."
Him: "Natural 20! Okay, I talk to the guard. 'Let this man go, the guard in the next town over wills it.'"
DM: "You sound nothing like him, roll a bluff check at a nasty penalty."
Him: "Natural 20!"
DM: "He asks to see your scrying glass, so you can show him."
Him: "I... tell him I left it at home..... 18!"
DM: "And he got a natural 1 on his sense motive. *sigh* He lets the prisoner go."

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-08, 12:57 PM
We have a player, I shall call him J.

J rolls like a beast. His dice love him. They cherish him. They would have his children. He lays a monk effectively in 3.5 not because the monk is any good, but because he keeps rolling so damn high everything dies in a hail of fiery punches.

Then one day J DM'd. Dice blessings were still in effect. TPK. TPK. TPK.

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 01:01 PM

J rolls like a beast. His dice love him. They cherish him. They would have his children. He lays a monk effectively in 3.5 not because the monk is any good, but because he keeps rolling so damn high everything dies in a hail of fiery punches.

I would recommend demoting this "J" person to player only at that point.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-08, 01:07 PM
I would recommend demoting this "J" person to player only at that point.

Nah, we just make him use other people's dice. It only seems to work with his. And yes, we checked his dice for weighting, sides, etc. They're legal. They just LOVE HIM FOREVER. I think he sold his soul to them.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-08, 02:51 PM
Well, It's definitely the player and not the character. Any character he plays becomes god. He always rolls at LEAST one 18 durring character creation. and no stat is below a 14.

I'm beginning to think that I should raise the average party level because of him...

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 02:54 PM
Well, It's definitely the player and not the character. Any character he plays becomes god. He always rolls at LEAST one 18 durring character creation. and no stat is below a 14.

I'm beginning to think that I should raise the average party level because of him...

Maybe just give everyone else a stat bump to catch up?

Starbuck_II
2009-12-08, 03:23 PM
Nah, we just make him use other people's dice. It only seems to work with his. And yes, we checked his dice for weighting, sides, etc. They're legal. They just LOVE HIM FOREVER. I think he sold his soul to them.

I can see that now:
Devil: So you want to sell your soul so you roll great?
Dude: Yeah.
Devil: Look, I know I'm supposed to trick you into a worse deal...but I gotta ask...are you sure?
Dude: Yes, just do enchant them already.
Devil: Done.

Admiral Squish
2009-12-08, 03:36 PM
I have the opposite. This player rolls natural ones ALL THE TIME. I think I've seen him roll higher than 10 like five times. He pulled a 20 out of his rear once during the final boss battle.

starwoof
2009-12-08, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't call myself a dice witch, but I have been called a luck sponge on many occasions. I have the kind of luck where nobody else near me can be especially lucky. Then I roll a ton of natural twenties. :smallbiggrin:

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-08, 03:56 PM
I have the opposite. This player rolls natural ones ALL THE TIME. I think I've seen him roll higher than 10 like five times. He pulled a 20 out of his rear once during the final boss battle.

Thanks to our critically failure rolls, I once effectively controlled a series of fiendish monkeys while dazed, disarmed, and nauseous.

Everything around me for for like four turns running rolled natural ones. I had a monkey sprain its face attacking me, another one sort of collapsing helplessly and foundering, and one so enraged it would only attack me because apparently a stunned drooling paladin is really irritating.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-08, 04:31 PM
My current DM has multiple dice called the Player Killer. He rolls crits multiple times per battle, once averaged ~5.5 on 10d6, and then there was the ooze situation...

3 oozes making hide checks, dc15 to spot. 5 member party, no one with a penalty to spot, but the only ranks in it are cross class. Level 7, he rolled the checks so we wouldn't know metagame. After the 3 oozes got surprise rounds, I figured out the odds of us failing the 15 separate DC 15 checks were worse than 00.5%. :smalleek:

sofawall
2009-12-08, 04:33 PM

I always roll ones as a DM, and seem to roll true random as a player.

Everyone loves when I DM a fight :(

jokey665
2009-12-08, 04:38 PM
My current DM has multiple dice called the Player Killer.

Heh, I've got an orange d20 that my players call the Player Killer. When it starts rolling 20s it don't stop until somebody's dead. It's crazy.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-08, 04:45 PM
I think the worst part is that every die he touches rolls super well all the time. It really sucks because one of my players uses a x4 crit weapon and now he wants it keened.

Kris Strife
2009-12-08, 07:15 PM
The fighter with a negative will save even after the cloak of resistance and 6 class levels NEVER failed a save, on DC 19 saves no less.

Was this a Cloak of Resistance 2 or higher?

Kallisti
2009-12-08, 08:38 PM
Everyone I play with is convinced I'm a luckstealer since I have disgusting good luck...except when I roll a 3. In our group, since the day I joined, everyone rolls a three every third or fourth roll. It's awful. But we always seem to get the high rolls when we really need them. They're all convinced I used witchraft to syphon off all the luck and save it for when we need it. And then when we were in Uncle's Games I touched all of the dice they were selling, to see if my curse spreads that way. So if you go to the Crossroads Mall Uncle's Games and all the d20's are rolling threes, Kallisti was here:smallamused:.

Ernir
2009-12-08, 10:15 PM
One of my friends is a d6-witch. He rolls 5s or 6s on them. Playing a D&D 3.5 Wild Mage is simply a CL boost for him.

It bites him in the ass in games where he has to roll low on the dice, but...

Asbestos
2009-12-09, 01:26 AM

I tend to be rather 1 heavy. 1s have actually spread to those seated nearest to me after I roll them. Truly, I am cursed.