PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Block spell (PEACH)

Zom B
2009-12-08, 11:33 AM
Sensory Block
Brd ?, Sor/Wiz ?
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 feet + 5 feet/2 levels)
Target: One creature/level
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 round/level)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Each affected target is completely unaware of your presence, unless you harm them in any way or attempt to manipulate their surroundings or belongings. You may speak or even shout in their presence, move about near them, and even be in physical contact with them without their knowledge. Even some extrasensory or supernatural sensory capabilities such as scent are affected but not blindsight, blindsense, or tremorsense. If you manipulate the affected targets’ surroundings and any of the targets would be able to sense the object being manipulated by hearing, smelling, seeing, tasting, or feeling the change (such as opening a door or picking up an item), the targets are entitled to another will save. If the item is on their person, they receive a +4 bonus on the will save.

Personally, I think that the spell needs some tweaking. As it stands, these are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Way better than invisibility, in that it blocks more than just visual perception of you.
Targets are affected until you attempt to manipulate the environment.
Less likely to be abused/broken because it requires Concentration, meaning that you won't be casting any other spells while this is active.

Cons:

You must be aware of the creatures in order to affect them.
The creatures must be susceptible to mind-affecting spells.
As far as I can tell, you do not know whether your enchantment spells have been successfully saved against or not, so you don't know whether those guards will see you or not.
Will not protect you from a non-True Seeing-enhanced Scry like Invisibility might, or any other means of monitoring you. If used in a futuristic setting, cameras would be unaffectable.

Because of the pretty big cons, I'm personally leaning towards level 1. Unless it's tweaked, of course. Also, I'm back and forth on whether the spell needs to be an Enchantment or Illusion spell.

DracoDei
2009-12-08, 11:47 AM
I seem to recall that you are aware of if your Enchantment spells work... useful when casting them secretly in diplomatic situations.

Zom B
2009-12-08, 11:53 AM
I seem to recall that you are aware of if your Enchantment spells work... useful when casting them secretly in diplomatic situations.

The reason I seem to remember that is that I remember that you can make a Bluff check to convince someone that they succeeded in Charming or Dominating you. Maybe I'm wrong on that too.

Temotei
2009-12-08, 05:12 PM
Since the spell only makes the enemy unaware of your presence, that lowers the level.

I'm not an expert at spell levels, but my guess would be either 1st or 2nd level. Invisibility sphere is a 3rd level spell, and this is, arguably, not as good.