PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Iaijutsu Katana Chucker

Choco
2009-12-08, 12:29 PM
K so I was bored and started thinking, the biggest problems with Iaijutsu Focus are:

1) The weapon has to come from the sheath and there is no "Quick Sheathe" feat, so you really only get the bonus once per round without pulling some gnome weapon cheese or carrying multiple weapons (we'll get to this later...) etc.
2) Due to the text specifically stating that Iaijutsu damage only occurs when the opponent is "flat footed", simply denying dex to AC is not enough (though this itself is debatable, since the CA text for the Scout's Uncanny Dodge says "cannot be caught flat footed" with a note to see the Barbarian's class ability in PH, where it says he keeps dex. Depends which interpretation the DM wants to use).
3) Relating to #2, the time when Iaijutsu Focus is most useful is if you win initiative during the first round of combat and during surprise rounds. However, you are usually not in melee range of the target at start of combat so even if there was a way to get around #1 or you use Sapphire Nightmare Blade, you still only get 1 attack.

So I quickly came up with the following build to make a Iaijutsu character a royal PITA the first round of combat.

Iaijutsu Katana Chucker
{table="head"]Class/Levels|Feat Selection/Relevent Special Abilities

Samurai1|Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes

Samurai2|Weapon Focus (katana)

Warblade1|Point Blank Shot

Warblade2|

Warblade3|

Bloodstorm Blade1|Precise Shot, Throw Anything, before lvlup retrain Weapon Focus to a thrown weapon

Master Thrower1|TWT(Defensive Throw), Quick Draw, retrain Weapon Focus back to katana

Iaijutsu Master1|Weapon Finesse (katana)

Master Thrower2|Weapon Proficiency(katana)

Master Thrower3|TWT(Doubletoss) or TWT(Sneaky Shot)

Master Thrower4|

Master Thrower5|TWT(Weak Spot), Two-Weapon Fighting

Iaijutsu Master2|Lightning blade

Iaijutsu Master3|

Iaijutsu Master4|Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Iaijutsu Master5|Strike from the Void

Bloodstorm Blade2|Martial Throw

Bloodstorm Blade3|Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Precise Shot

Bloodstorm Blade4|Lightning Ricochet

Bloodstorm Blade5|Blood Wind Ricochet

[/table]

This is a build with late game in mind, so the PrC and feat selection order might be modified to make this build better low level. Anyway, the basic idea behind this build is to carry a multiple Katanas (20 recommended preferably all +1, perhaps have an NPC carry them for you and hand them to you as you are drawing, this is in addition to your main katana that you do not throw and use should the enemy survive the first round) and throw as many as possible during the first round of combat.

This build has Dex as the primary stat and Cha as secondary. Dex is for attack rolls mostly, Cha is for uber Iaijutsu damage.

Items that are HIGHLY recommended with this build are:
Belt of Battle
Some way of getting haste, not a weapon enchant for obvious reasons
Cha + Dex boosters
Str booster if you want to carry all the katanas yourself

Anyway, the important stuff, what each PrC gives you:

Iaijutsu Master
1) Allows you to use Dex mod with the Katana, which is cool since it allows this build to be Dex/Cha centered.
2) Lightning Blade add your Cha mod to initiative checks. Dex+Cha+4 to init checks in a Dex/Cha build = you almost always go first.
3) The first big one, Strike from the Void. This adds your Cha modifier to EVERY ADDITIONAL DAMAGE DICE granted to you from Iaijutsu Focus.

Bloodstorm Blade
1) Allows you to use a katana as a thrown weapon with no penalties.
2) Martial Throw allows you to use Sapphire Nightmare Blade with said thrown katanas for Iaijutsu damage if the foe survived the first round.
3) Lightning Ricochet returns your thrown katanas to you (makes collection after battle easier, enemies wont run off with them).
4) Blood Wind Ricochet allows you to hit enemies with total cover if you got an "enemy path" to them.

Master Thrower
1) Defensive Throw basically ensures you will never be hit with an AOO for throwing while threatened.
2) Doubletoss lets you throw 2 katanas with a standard action (good for surprise rounds). Or if you like take Sneaky Shot instead, it denies the opponents their Dex bonus to AC for that attack which works VERY well with #3 right below..
3) The other big one, Weak Spot. This makes your throws ranged touch attacks at the price of not applying your Str bonus to damage (yeah, like you were doing that with this build anyway).

So the build as I have it (a lot of feats, TWF for instance, arent needed but helpful) SHOULD result in quick, 1-round kills against even multiple enemies.

If there is a surprise round, use Doubletoss to fire off 2 katanas as ranged touch attacks at 1-2 foes and get some Iaijutsu damage in that way.

You should have easily won init the first combat round so you get 8 katana-chucking ranged touch attacks in a full round action (4 base, +1 haste, +3 TWF), then use the belt of battle to get another full round action and 8 more attacks. That's 16 attacks right there, the vast majority of which should hit due to them being ranged touch attacks and you having a godly high Dex. +2 if you got the surprise round in. That makes 18 attacks, each of which will have Iaijutsu damage applied, with each dice of Iaijutsu damage also beign increased by your Cha modifier.

Really painful build. Even if an enemy is immune to being caught flat footed (or even never denied dex depending on interpretation, see point #2 way at the top) 18 katana hits should still weaken them up a bit.

Also, I mentioned it sporadically before, but keep your normal, heavily enchanted katana seperate and dont throw it, that one is in case the fight lasts more than 1 round and you are reduced to using your best/main katana with Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

So what do y'all think? Any suggestions?

EDIT: For a different flavor and MUCH more power, take TWT(Palm Throw) instead of TWT(Doubletoss) or TWT(Sneaky Shot), and take Weapon Finesse instead of Weapon Proficiency(katana) and throw daggers instead.

UglyPanda
2009-12-08, 12:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Iaijutsu focus doesn't require a katana at all. I think there's at least one build out there that uses daggers and Master Thrower's palm throw.

Choco
2009-12-08, 12:35 PM
If I remember correctly, Iaijutsu focus doesn't require a katana at all. I think there's at least one build out there that uses daggers and Master Thrower's palm throw.

It doesn't, but I did it cause the Iaijutsu master gets finesse with em. I know, very minor damage boost overall but I kept it for flavor.

Mongoose87
2009-12-08, 12:38 PM

Problem: Hurling a two-handed sword is awesome.

Choco
2009-12-08, 12:39 PM
Problem: Hurling a two-handed sword is awesome.

16 of em in 6 seconds even more so :smallbiggrin:

That being said, you can modify this to use literally any melee weapon you proficient with. Katana was just my choice for flavor.

Fastmover
2009-12-08, 02:29 PM
Is there a way I can do this with only a three class limit? My DM only allows two standard and one PrC, no ToB or Unearthed Arcana or psionics. So I can only have the other completes, core, and OA.

Choco
2009-12-08, 02:40 PM
Is there a way I can do this with only a three class limit? My DM only allows two standard and one PrC, no ToB or Unearthed Arcana or psionics. So I can only have the other completes, core, and OA.

Yeah, you can do it without Bloodstorm Blade or Warblade. Bloodstorm Blade is really there to let you throw any melee weapon you proficient with and have it return to you for easy collection. Warblade is there cause of Sapphire Nightmare Blade (which lets you get Iaijutsu every other round for one attack). You can do without them if you use daggers (take TWT(Palm Throw) instead of TWT(Doubletoss) or TWT(Sneaky Shot), and take Weapon Finesse instead of Weapon Focus(katana) and throw daggers instead) as your thrown weapons and you can replace the 5 levels of Bloodstorm Blade with something else. Though if you got a 3 class limit then I would replace the Warblade levels with Samurai, then do either 5 more levels of Samurai or Iaijutsu master depending on what saves you value most.

Samurai10/Iaijutsu Master5/Master Thrower5 or Samurai5/Iaijutsu Master10/Master Thrower5 is what you would end up with

Fastmover
2009-12-08, 02:45 PM
Sweet! Thanks yo, I'm going to enjoy the build.

golentan
2009-12-08, 02:48 PM
I now have this mental image of practicing on a pole. We see the mighty warrior crouch, flexing and preparing to draw. There's a cut to the pole, and a dozen katanas strike, dicing it into tiny sections, and embed themselves edge first in the wall behind it.

This is now one of my favorite builds. Of all time. I did think though, that Iaijutsu focus only applies to melee.

Choco
2009-12-08, 02:49 PM
Sweet! Thanks yo, I'm going to enjoy the build.

That's good to hear!

You will have to shuffle some feats around to get the prereqs for the PrC's down, and this build assumes you are a human (or allowed flaws to get an extra feat). Other than that you good.

This is now one of my favorite builds. Of all time. I did think though, that Iaijutsu focus only applies to melee.

Well, exact wording is "If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage based on the result ofan Iaijutsu Focus check."

All you gotta do is draw a melee weapon, never says you can't throw it after you draw it :smalltongue:

Zom B
2009-12-08, 02:49 PM
Might have to do this exact thing next time someone says, "Hey, let's create 20th-level characters and just have some fun."

By the end of the night they'll be going, "But...but you're throwing freaking KATANAS! THROWING them!"

Prime32
2009-12-08, 03:25 PM
This is now one of my favorite builds. Of all time. I did think though, that Iaijutsu focus only applies to melee.That wouldn't matter with bloodstorm blade anyway, since it treats thrown attacks as melee attacks.

Haven
2009-12-08, 06:41 PM
:D :D

This is beautiful.

Better optimizers than I: can this be done with Factotum instead of Samurai?

Darrin
2009-12-08, 07:49 PM
Are you familiar with the Gnome Quick-Razor and The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny_But_Youre_Dead_the_other_melee_Kille r_Gnome_for_your_pleasure)?

Granted, LogicNinja's original build didn't use Iajutsu focus, but I think it's not too tough to add.

Tanaric
2009-12-08, 07:50 PM
Are you familiar with the Gnome Quick-Razor and The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny_But_Youre_Dead_the_other_melee_Kille r_Gnome_for_your_pleasure)?

Granted, LogicNinja's original build didn't use Iajutsu focus, but I think it's not too tough to add.

1) The weapon has to come from the sheath and there is no "Quick Sheathe" feat, so you really only get the bonus once per round without pulling some gnome weapon cheese or carrying multiple weapons (we'll get to this later...) etc.

I'd hazard a guess at a "yes".

NEO|Phyte
2009-12-08, 07:53 PM
That wouldn't matter with bloodstorm blade anyway, since it treats thrown attacks as melee attacks.
Not by default, but they can use swift actions for it.

The Gilded Duke
2009-12-08, 08:26 PM
Is there some way to get 10th level bloodstorm blade in there?
Being able to get a hit in on every single available target with Iajutsu Focus would be really nice.

Maybe...
Human Fighter 2 (EWP Bastard Sword, Weapon Focus Bastard Sword, Quick Draw, Improved Initative)

Warblade 3 (Pick up Point Blank Shot)

5 Iajitsu Master (Skill Focus Iajitsu from class)

10 Bloodstorm Blade

Should get you everything you need
Skill Focus should help make your checks, human helps with the skills
Probably good to get some skill boost items.
Can use Str to attack and damage, high charisma primary, Strength secondary for your attacks.

Peregrinus
2009-12-08, 10:16 PM
As a DM, I'd never allow it. Then again, as a DM I also removed the "have to be flat-footed" BS from Iajitsu Focus. The same reason applies to both, Iajitsu works uses physics to increase the speed of a strike made from a draw, thereby increasing the damage. You'd loose that speed benefit if you then threw the weapon (because it's from centrifugal force), but at the same time, whether or not the guy is expecting it ain't gonna make a difference.

Then again, in the OA game I ran, the Samurai/IM was preforming on par if not better than the Fire Shugenja in the party as far as raw damage output goes, so I don't see a need to "fix" Iajitsu Focus.

Geddoe
2009-12-08, 10:56 PM
K so I was bored and started thinking, the biggest problems with Iaijutsu Focus are:

If only that was the case. The rules for using IF in combat state that you apply iaijutsu any round in which you draw a melee weapon and attack in the same round against a flat-footed opponent. This means that true Iaijutsu use in D&D is draw once and make as many attacks as you can make against flat-footed opponents for iaijutsu damage.

Gensh
2009-12-08, 11:05 PM
What about iaijustu-ing sword-chucks? You could probably stuff in some junk about drawing both blades simultaneously by pulling the chain.

Darrin
2009-12-08, 11:15 PM
I'd hazard a guess at a "yes".

Whoops. Apparently I was skimming a little bit too quickly.

Some other methods to get around the sheathing thing:

Gloves of Storing/Gloves of the Master Strategist/Kimono of Storing.

Gloves of Endless Javelins

Servant Horde ("Pick up any weapon I drop and put it back in my scabbard")

Choco
2009-12-08, 11:16 PM
Is there some way to get 10th level bloodstorm blade in there?
Being able to get a hit in on every single available target with Iajutsu Focus would be really nice.

Maybe...
Human Fighter 2 (EWP Bastard Sword, Weapon Focus Bastard Sword, Quick Draw, Improved Initative)

Warblade 3 (Pick up Point Blank Shot)

5 Iajitsu Master (Skill Focus Iajitsu from class)

10 Bloodstorm Blade

Should get you everything you need
Skill Focus should help make your checks, human helps with the skills
Probably good to get some skill boost items.
Can use Str to attack and damage, high charisma primary, Strength secondary for your attacks.

You can drop the Master Thrower if you want, but IMO it is worth it to have all your throws be touch attacks. That, and with the Belt of Battle and TWF and Haste you can hit up to 16 different targets, all of which will probably connect due to being touch attacks. I have personally never been in a situation where I needed to hit any more than that, but whatever works better for yer game.

Better optimizers than I: can this be done with Factotum instead of Samurai?

Yeah, just get your DM to allow Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill. Samurai is the lvl 1 choice because of that, and this build relies on maxed out Iaijutsu Focus ranks. The 2nd level is cause of the feat and will save mostly.

If only that was the case. The rules for using IF in combat state that you apply iaijutsu any round in which you draw a melee weapon and attack in the same round against a flat-footed opponent. This means that true Iaijutsu use in D&D is draw once and make as many attacks as you can make against flat-footed opponents for iaijutsu damage.

Thats true, but most DM's I have known interpret it as the first attack after the draw. Hell, a DM I am playing under now only gives Leap Attack bonus damage to the first attack if you got pounce, because he reasons that is the only attack that has the momentum of the leap behind it.

What about iaijustu-ing sword-chucks? You could probably stuff in some junk about drawing both blades simultaneously by pulling the chain.

With the Bloodstorm Blade level you can throw ANY melee weapon you want. A sword-chuck would probably count as a double weapon, which as far as I know still counts as a single weapon for the purposes of drawing it, and is drawn in just as much time as any other weapon, so I cant see a problem with doing that. I was thinking about making this build use Fullblades just for milk the epic factor, but carrying about 20 fullblades is no easy task even for minion NPC's.

Gloves of Storing/Gloves of the Master Strategist/Kimono of Storing.

Gloves of Endless Javelins

Servant Horde ("Pick up any weapon I drop and put it back in my scabbard")

Yup, there are ways to get around it. I was thinking of a homebrew item, a "Scabbard of Endless Katanas" where the current one disappears upon dealing damage and re-appears in the sheathe.

The minion method is what I am assuming here since swords are heavy, especially for a dex build. A minion holding your swords and passing them to you as you reach for them should be allowable. Then he can pack them up nicely when they drop at my feet afterwards.

kjones
2009-12-08, 11:52 PM
I am currently laughing my ass off at the idea of this guy walking down the street, and suddenly turning and chucking 16 katanas at some poor random sod.

Oh, man. Sucks to be that guy.

Seriously, I'd love to play this character so much. What problems exist that can't be solved by throwing katanas at them?

The Gilded Duke
2009-12-09, 12:06 AM
I've been thinking of doing a Factotum/Iajitsu Master build myself, putting everything into Charisma and Int with some dexterity using the Gnomish Quickrazor.

Charisma, Int, and Dex to Initiative. Int and Dex to AC, (probably some way to add cha as well). Easy to set up for the max skill check with factotum, so 9x charisma to damage. Maybe use Slippers of Battledancing to get Cha to attack as well? (Use Factotum to gain an extra action to get the movement in)

Use Factotum spells to get grease to make non-balancer's flat footed. Probably some other methods as well.

Radar
2009-12-09, 05:19 AM
The longer i think about it, the more i'm certain, that if only one could squeze Time Stands Still maneuver in it, it would be just a steamroller short of being very specifically bizarre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbArvIqZzkI) (warning: meme heavy content). :smallbiggrin:

Apart from that, it's a very cool build and uses Samurai as it's base. :smallsmile:

Heliomance
2009-12-09, 06:13 AM
I'm fairly sure that there's a line in CW that says that if you cease to meet the prereqs for a PrC, you cease to gain its abilities. So once you've retrained your weapon focus back to katana, you don't get the abilities from Master Thrower anymore.

Darrin
2009-12-09, 07:17 AM
I'm fairly sure that there's a line in CW that says that if you cease to meet the prereqs for a PrC, you cease to gain its abilities. So once you've retrained your weapon focus back to katana, you don't get the abilities from Master Thrower anymore.

Once you get into Bloodstorm Blade, the katana (and anything else you can get your hands on) becomes a thrown weapon. So that's not really a problem.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 08:36 AM
I'm unclear why you list your build as taking Weapon Proficiency (katana) at master thrower 2. You have that proficiency already from the samurai levels...

Darth Stabber
2011-02-22, 10:58 AM
I'm inspired to make a character that wears a kilt and throws huge greatclubs, yay caber toss
Lets see pyschic warrior/fighter2/Warblade?/BSB?/Master Thrower?

Monkey Grip + Expansion

Darrin
2011-02-22, 02:19 PM
I'm unclear why you list your build as taking Weapon Proficiency (katana) at master thrower 2. You have that proficiency already from the samurai levels...

Probably because he's using the non-gimpy version of the Samurai from Oriental Adventures (hence the bonus feat at ECL 2). OA Samurai are proficient with katanas only as two-handed martial weapons. Most OA samurai don't bother with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana) unless they are Clan Dragon and studying to become a Mirumoto Niten Master. Yes, you lose a bit of damage by not using a greatsword, but why do samurai insist on using katanas? Because:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/jp_wasnt/katana.jpg

(Although to be fair, the tanks in feudal Japan were made out of bamboo and paper...)

Greenish
2011-02-22, 02:48 PM
As a DM, I'd never allow it. Then again, as a DM I also removed the "have to be flat-footed" BS from Iajitsu Focus. The same reason applies to both, Iajitsu works uses physics to increase the speed of a strike made from a draw, thereby increasing the damage.Physics nothing. It's pure magic.

Probably because he's using the non-gimpy version of the Samurai from Oriental AdventuresOA samurai isn't a huge improvement over the CW one. Better skills and will save are nifty, but no class features bar Ancestral Weapon and a few feats from a very limited list is still quite meh.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 02:58 PM
Physics nothing. It's pure magic.

Eh, I'd have to disagree. Ever watch an anime where there is at least 1 sword fighter? He's facing off against a bad guy. Then BAM, black screen with just a slash of white across it. Then you see the sword fighter, facing away, behind the bad guy, who's facing us. Bad guy falls over, spurt of blood, you see the sword fighter's sword covered in blood, etc.

That's iaijutsu focus to me.

Greenish
2011-02-22, 02:59 PM
Eh, I'd have to disagree. Ever watch an anime where there is at least 1 sword fighter? He's facing off against a bad guy. Then BAM, black screen with just a slash of white across it. Then you see the sword fighter, facing away, behind the bad guy, who's facing us. Bad guy falls over, spurt of blood, you see the sword fighter's sword covered in blood, etc.Exactly.

Magic, just like I said.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 03:02 PM
Or physics. And training. Incredible precision and speed.

Greenish
2011-02-22, 03:23 PM
Or physics. And training. Incredible precision and speed.Charles Atlas superpowers are still superpowers. :smallwink:

Tam_OConnor
2011-02-22, 04:12 PM
Can you fit Wild Cohort in there anywhere? Because if you can, I've got a picture for you: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4096/shigerusanbynefar007.jpg

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:14 PM
Can you fit Wild Cohort in there anywhere? Because if you can, I've got a picture for you: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4096/shigerusanbynefar007.jpg

Okay, that picture means I NEED to make this build at some point. With a rhino companion/cohort.

Spiryt
2011-02-22, 04:15 PM
I've got interesting picture for this thread:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/156/d/e/Necromant_by_Ruslayer.jpg

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:17 PM
I've got interesting picture for this thread:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/156/d/e/Necromant_by_Ruslayer.jpg

... That picture has NOTHING to do with this thread.

Greenish
2011-02-22, 04:19 PM
... That picture has NOTHING to do with this thread.:smallamused: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CompletelyMissingThePoint)

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:24 PM
This thread is about sword-throwing, not resurrecting! I deny your allegations!

Choco
2011-02-22, 04:27 PM

It would not be too far fetched to put some points into handle animal and/or buy a trained war rhino, no changes to build required then. If you want an intelligent one, find/pay a wizard to make an awakened one and pay it for its services, etc. The rhino could even carry the katanas :smalltongue:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-02-22, 04:36 PM
This thread is about sword-throwing, not resurrecting! I deny your allegations!

How about this one then:

http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/B4386DEB-2CCF-4945-8AA4545D355A48FC.jpg

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-23, 02:29 AM
Troll Patrol: Mmm, necromancy. Closed.