PDA

View Full Version : Golem Character? 3.5 help

AzureDistress
2009-12-08, 12:40 PM
I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make a golem character that doesn't have a huge LA? And please know that I do NOT wish to play a warforged. I really am trying to make a stitched up flesh golem that is medium size.

The presmise (if it'll help) is based off of Azure Balmung from .Hack//G.U. Don't open if you don't want spoilers
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/dothack/images/thumb/e/e0/AzureBalmung.jpg/440px-AzureBalmung.jpg
Essentially a tool/champion for Aura, 'goddess' of light from The World(who will be an aspect of pelor for the character) who is stitched up, has wings, and is a Golem/Mindless/e.t.c. Uses a longsword/katana
Reference Site (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Azure_Balmung)

One of my ideas is to use the flesh golem monster class, but that might suck. Another was to scale down the Hd of the flesh golem to make it medium in size.

Either way I plan on attaching wings to him and add on either fighter or Psionic Warrior

Can anyone help? Anything is helpful

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 12:44 PM
Ask you DM to homebrew a "lesser golem", or do it yourself. Otherwise, I don't know that an awakened construct or incarnate construct is the way to go for low LA.

Ryuuk
2009-12-08, 01:12 PM
Take a look at the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. Its an Intelligent Construct with 10HD and a +6 LA (taken form the 3.0-3.5 upgrade). The LA may be kinda high, but it seems to fit your concept. It's Alter Self at will might be able to give you wings if you bring it up with the DM. The relevant changes would be as follows:

Nimblewright: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; Balance +9, Jump +19, Tumble +22;
Combat ExpertiseB, Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Mobility,
Spring Attack; LA +6; Gains 20 bonus hit points (change to Construct type); HD
become 10d10+20 (75 hp). Change rapier-hand damage to 2d6+4/15–20, and
adjust Augmented Criticals entry accordingly. Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites:
Craft Construct, geas/quest, haste, limited wish, and polymorph any object;
Market Price: 22,000 gp; Cost to Create: 18,500 gp (including 7,500 for the
body) + 580 XP.

Mongoose87
2009-12-08, 01:13 PM
Play a warforged? Trade LA +1 for powerful build or large size.

EDIT: MY reading comprehension is poor.

Boci
2009-12-08, 01:19 PM
Is there any particular mechanical thing you need? Because you could just play a human/elf/anything which the described cometical features. I'm sure there is a graft somewhere for wings.

dsmiles
2009-12-08, 01:29 PM
Is there any particular mechanical thing you need? Because you could just play a human/elf/anything which the described cometical features. I'm sure there is a graft somewhere for wings.

If you went this route, you could play an Avariel. IIRC they are +2 LA.

Edwin
2009-12-08, 01:30 PM

There are grafts for a lot of things, hell, you can even get a pump that shoots saliva for you, but they're all so ridiculously expensive, he won't be able to pay for it unless he's high level.

But, if this is the way, there are wing grafts in one of the dragon books. Dragon Magic, probably.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-08, 01:34 PM
I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make a golem character that doesn't have a huge LA? And please know that I do NOT wish to play a warforged. I really am trying to make a stitched up flesh golem that is medium size.

The presmise (if it'll help) is based off of Azure Balmung from .Hack//G.U. Don't open if you don't want spoilers
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/dothack/images/thumb/e/e0/AzureBalmung.jpg/440px-AzureBalmung.jpg
Essentially a tool/champion for Aura, 'goddess' of light from The World(who will be an aspect of pelor for the character) who is stitched up, has wings, and is a Golem/Mindless/e.t.c. Uses a longsword/katana
Reference Site (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Azure_Balmung)

One of my ideas is to use the flesh golem monster class, but that might suck. Another was to scale down the Hd of the flesh golem to make it medium in size.

Either way I plan on attaching wings to him and add on either fighter or Psionic Warrior

Can anyone help? Anything is helpful

Play An Astral Construct as a character?
Warforged are constructs.

Boci
2009-12-08, 01:39 PM
If you went this route, you could play an Avariel. IIRC they are +2 LA.

Or raptorian, no LA.

Also Starbuck II, where is your avatar from?

Starbuck_II
2009-12-08, 01:45 PM
I have no clue, I was googling images for an avatar and it came up. Has a similar appearance to me so I chose it.

Cieyrin
2009-12-08, 04:35 PM
Take a look at the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. Its an Intelligent Construct with 10HD and a +6 LA (taken form the 3.0-3.5 upgrade). The LA may be kinda high, but it seems to fit your concept. It's Alter Self at will might be able to give you wings if you bring it up with the DM. The relevant changes would be as follows:

Nimblewright: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; Balance +9, Jump +19, Tumble +22;
Combat ExpertiseB, Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Mobility,
Spring Attack; LA +6; Gains 20 bonus hit points (change to Construct type); HD
become 10d10+20 (75 hp). Change rapier-hand damage to 2d6+4/15–20, and
adjust Augmented Criticals entry accordingly. Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites:
Craft Construct, geas/quest, haste, limited wish, and polymorph any object;
Market Price: 22,000 gp; Cost to Create: 18,500 gp (including 7,500 for the
body) + 580 XP.

OOO, I love Nimblewrights! *squee*

Now, if I could just manage to figure out whether I could bootleg one into Swiftblade and I'll be happy for quite a while. :smallbiggrin:

Kosjsjach
2009-12-08, 05:01 PM
The Soulstitched (http://www.oldrepublicknights.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6394).

This sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's not official, but it's certainly flavorful and doesn't seem overtly broken. It's basically Frankenstien's Monster meets Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas meets Warforged.

EDIT: Hold that thought, here's a version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6310251&postcount=21) from these very forums.

Thurbane
2009-12-08, 09:48 PM
You could also try an Awakened Human Effigy creature.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-08, 09:56 PM
You could also try an Awakened Human Effigy creature.

I second this one.

as for wings, you can use the aberrant feats to get them.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-12-08, 10:39 PM
Feathered Wings is a graft costing 10,000gp and giving one a flight speed of twice their land speed (good maneuverability).

JeminiZero
2009-12-08, 11:38 PM

Out of curiosity, why not warforged? Just retool the fluff so that his exterior is made of stitched up flesh and not wood and metal (not unlike terminator). They do gain half benefit from healing anyway.

I know nothing about Hack, but in D&D parlance, "Mindless" is a triat where the int score is 0 or some such. Essentially obedient unthinking minions like animated skeletons (and yes, golems) capable of only simple tasks. PCs are rarely allowed to play mindless characters. You might want to clarify what you mean by this term.

Wing-wise you can buy grafts as mentioned above. Some classes also give wings as class features (my favorite is the geomancer PrC, but there are also others like the dragon shaman).

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-08, 11:58 PM
.hack Wiki says: (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Azure_Balmung)

Azure Balmung seemingly has little to no personality. He mindlessly goes about his job of defending the system, seemingly specializing in destroying AIDA. Azure Balmung has no speaking lines, but speaks normally when using an Art. He also speaks (unvoiced) in corrupted text after receiving an item.

AslanCross
2009-12-09, 09:03 AM
Out of curiosity, why not warforged? Just retool the fluff so that his exterior is made of stitched up flesh and not wood and metal (not unlike terminator). They do gain half benefit from healing anyway.

I second this. There are many grafts that can make the wings work. See Magic of Eberron.

Cyclocone
2009-12-09, 09:13 AM
Crystal Keep has the Half-Flesh Golem template. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf)
No official LA though.

Also, Green Star Adept. You know you want to!

Prime32
2009-12-09, 09:44 AM
I second this. There are many grafts that can make the wings work. See Magic of Eberron.The dragonborn template would also grant wings while keeping your Construct type.

And yeah, there's half-golem. Half-dragonflesh can give you a 120ft fly speed if you attach two wings.

But seriously, a "golem" in D&D is something which cannot think for itself (and thus cannot gain class levels or use any kind of strategy) and is immune to magic. Your concept seems far closer to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat (or even an undead).

lord_khaine
2009-12-09, 11:17 AM
Feathered Wings is a graft costing 10,000gp and giving one a flight speed of twice their land speed (good maneuverabilit

Where is this from?

hamishspence
2009-12-09, 11:31 AM
But seriously, a "golem" in D&D is something which cannot think for itself (and thus cannot gain class levels or use any kind of strategy) and is immune to magic. Your concept seems far closer to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat (or even an undead).

Mostly.

Rare exceptions do exist though- the hellfire golem, demonflesh golem, and brain golem in Fiend Folio are all a lot smarter than the average golem.

And there are constructs which, while not called golems, are basically that- the nimblewright (MM2), which has a water elemental rather than an earth elemental bound into it, is intelligent, fast, and good at disguising itself.

(EDIT:- Apparently that one has been brought up)

For "stitched-up intelligent flesh golem" Heroes of Horror has one.

Admiral Squish
2009-12-09, 02:10 PM
I once made a villain who was a psion who'd awakened a psion-killer, then mind seeded into it's body. He was particularly evil because being able to surpress or resume the antipsionic field as a free action made him virtually untouchable to cast-tastic charries while still putting out 20d10 mind thrusts.

For your problem, though, he sounds like a mildly-reflavored warforged. Say the armor bonus is alchemically-strengthened flesh or somesuch. Talk to your DM about wings.