PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Equipment Tables

Thomo
2009-12-08, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure that I am missing something glaringly obvious, but is there anywhere that I can find a table listing equipment costs and weight etc - for mundane equipment like blank books, oil flasks, writing materials etc.
I've flicked through the PHB, DMG, AV and can't see one anywhere.

Sir Homeslice
2009-12-08, 06:34 PM
Page 222, PHB.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-08, 07:25 PM
I've flicked through the PHB, DMG, AV and can't see one anywhere.
That's because there isn't one.

You can handwave it. With an adventurer's budget, any mundane item is essentially free. The assumption is that most players are not interested in tallying silver pieces, or indeed tallying encumbrance.

cupkeyk
2009-12-08, 08:58 PM
The flask of oil was added in the errata. the blank book is a spell book or a ritual book with nothing in it. that's in the phb. I am not sure if ink is there.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-08, 09:48 PM
The flask of oil was added in the errata. the blank book is a spell book or a ritual book with nothing in it. that's in the phb. I am not sure if ink is there.
It's not.

As Kurald Galain said, 4E lets you handwave the costs of minor items like ink, quills, loose paper, pipes, etc.

If it's something with a game-mechanical benefit (such as Ritual Books, or Oil Flasks) it has a cost. Otherwise, it's between you and the DM.

Colmarr
2009-12-08, 10:02 PM
or indeed tallying encumbrance.

Interesting that you raise this.

I made a comment during our SSTL campaign about changing currency so my PC wasn't carrying so much weight in coins, and was met with a reply of "well, if you want to track encumbrance..."

I must admit to being floored by the response, given that we all use the character builder, which calculates encumbrance for you.

cupkeyk
2009-12-08, 10:13 PM
It's not.

As Kurald Galain said, 4E lets you handwave the costs of minor items like ink, quills, loose paper, pipes, etc.

If it's something with a game-mechanical benefit (such as Ritual Books, or Oil Flasks) it has a cost. Otherwise, it's between you and the DM.

Oh but there's magical chalk that never runs out... and i wonder if there's a magical inkpot. i know there's a magical quill that auto translates for you, i am sure you should be able to use it a normal quill. High powered PC's shouldn't settle for mundane items. lolz

Kurald Galain
2009-12-09, 03:01 AM
Oh but there's magical chalk that never runs out...

Indeed. It means that all wizards write their spellbooks in chalk. This also explains why spells mysteriously disappear from it when you retrain them :smallbiggrin:

Hal
2009-12-09, 09:17 AM
Handwaving is typically the best response. I'm not a big fan of worrying about encumbrance, especially because most non-Str based characters can usually only carry their basic gear without hitting the wall.

All of my characters, without exception, carry a hip flask filled with liquor of some kind. Usually dwarven whiskey. If you want to carry something like that for RP purposes, write it on there (and tell your GM). If it's something you think you'll ever use during an encounter/skill challenge, check the books first and then talk about it with your GM.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-09, 10:04 AM
All of my characters, without exception, carry a hip flask filled with liquor of some kind. Usually dwarven whiskey. If you want to carry something like that for RP purposes, write it on there (and tell your GM). If it's something you think you'll ever use during an encounter/skill challenge, check the books first and then talk about it with your GM.

Dwarven Whiskey
Power (encounter): minor action. You are dazed until the end of your next turn.

Tiki Snakes
2009-12-09, 10:07 AM
Dwarven Whiskey

Dwarven Whiskey
Special; If the target is a non-dwarf, they are stunned and take 5 (ongoing) acid damage. To their liver.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-09, 10:15 AM
Dwarven Whiskey
Special; If the target is a non-dwarf, they are stunned and take 5 (ongoing) acid damage. To their liver.

Dwarven Whiskey
Power (encounter): minor action. Close burst 5, target one dwarf in burst. Effect: you pull the dwarf adjacent to you, and it is immobilized and drooling until the end of its next turn.

nepphi
2009-12-09, 10:17 AM
Miss: Apologise profusely to the cleric before telling her you've always loved her. Half Damage.

Hal
2009-12-09, 10:50 AM
Dwarven Whiskey
Power (encounter): minor action. Close burst 5, target one dwarf in burst. Effect: you pull the dwarf adjacent to you, and it is immobilized and drooling until the end of its next turn.

I like where this is going.

Dwarven Whiskey
Power (At-will): Minor action. You take a -5 penalty to all Charisma-based skill checks until you take an extended rest. If the target of your skill checks is also consuming Dwarven Whiskey, you receive a +5 bonus to all Charisma-based skill checks. This effect may stack a number of times equal to your Constitution bonus without penalty. Continued stacks may be added, but each costs a healing surge. When you run out of healing surges, you fall unconscious.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-09, 10:55 AM
I like where this is going.

And, of course,

Dwarven Whiskey
Consumable. Standard action. Close burst 1.
Target: each creature in burst, including yourself.
Attack: +12 v fort, 3d6 fire damage on a hit.
Effect: All force effects in the burst are dispelled.

Mando Knight
2009-12-09, 11:18 AM
I was thinking more like the joke-ScotchIrishman (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScotIreland): BAC below 0.08 is lethal.

Dwarven Ale: Power (daily, consumable): You drink the ale. If you are a dwarf, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier, and consuming this beverage counts as your daily minimum intake of water for the purpose of Endurance checks. If you are not a dwarf, you are dazed (save ends).