PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Shift Fighting (3.5 idea help)

AzureDistress
2009-12-08, 06:44 PM
Ok, I'm tryingto make a low level character that could be able to be the do it all guy that can switch between weapons without being extremely nerfed. An example would be: has a Greatsword for damage, Scythe for tripping, and shield gauntlets for defense and fist fights.

Is there any way that I could use multiple weapons without being weak? I don't think that Tome of Battle would be a good fit, but any ideas would be nice. Lets assume that I start at 1st level and go up to 10th or so with average stats (maybe 28 point buy).

I was thinking either Factotem, or a base class I saw a while ago based off of the adapt rogue class from .Hack//g.u. which I can't find.

Any ideas? Comments? Advice?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 06:46 PM
Warblade with its weapon aptitude may help, also there is the shifting magic enchanment in the MIC, I believe it is a +1 enchanment but I am not sure. though that can be archieved until higher levels

AzureDistress
2009-12-08, 07:08 PM
I forgot about the morphing enchantment >,<

I still need to try and choose what class to choose, and feats that don't focus on specific weapons. I like the warblades ability, but it does nothing when I switch my weapon type mid-combat.

Haven
2009-12-08, 07:11 PM
Maneuvers generally work with any melee weapon, though. So you could probably be okay playing a Warblade or Crusader who avoids feats that deal with specific weapon types. Or maybe you'd do better with a Swordsage, since they get bonus feats that apply to whole groups of weapons at once.

Tengu_temp
2009-12-08, 07:19 PM
Most of the weapon-specific feats suck in 3.5 anyway.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 07:20 PM
Maneuvers generally work with any melee weapon, though. So you could probably be okay playing a Warblade or Crusader who avoids feats that deal with specific weapon types. Or maybe you'd do better with a Swordsage, since they get bonus feats that apply to whole groups of weapons at once.

Really? I always thought you only choose one weapon from the school...hmm another reason to get a morphing weapon for my swordsage

I forgot about the morphing enchantment >,<

I still need to try and choose what class to choose, and feats that don't focus on specific weapons. I like the warblades ability, but it does nothing when I switch my weapon type mid-combat.

The master of mask Prg class (Complete Scoundre and I believe in a web preview) can get you proficiency in all exotic weapons, and maybe in martial weapons too. And I think the aptitude weapon enchanment (ToB) lets you apply feats that target a specific weapon, with you aptitude weapon.

Draxar
2009-12-08, 07:31 PM
The master of mask Prg class (Complete Scoundre and I believe in a web preview) can get you proficiency in all exotic weapons, and maybe in martial weapons too. And I think the aptitude weapon enchanment (ToB) lets you apply feats that target a specific weapon, with you aptitude weapon.

Aye, combine these two, plus the Morphing (+1 bonus equivalent) and sizing (flat 5,000gp), and you've got a character that can use any weapon as if it was their favourite, and has a weapon that can be any weapon.

AzureDistress
2009-12-08, 07:46 PM
true, that would work. I could just eliminate the master of masks prc by only using martial/simple weapons.

My only problem with this is that these enchantments are expensive, and it'll make the weapon weak

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 08:03 PM
true, that would work. I could just eliminate the master of masks prc by only using martial/simple weapons.

My only problem with this is that these enchantments are expensive, and it'll make the weapon weak

And how does that make your weapon weak?

A lich have DR 15/Magic AND Bludgeoning, so you change your +1 morphing greatsword into a +1 morphing great club.

and I am sure there are other monsters that have DR/slashing or DR piercing ... undeads? I don't remember.

It is just versatility

AzureDistress
2009-12-08, 08:14 PM
true. What would you suggest for feats? Items?

Haven
2009-12-08, 08:19 PM
Really? I always thought you only choose one weapon from the school...hmm another reason to get a morphing weapon for my swordsage

Nope, it applies to all of them from a given discipline. The first-level discipline focus says "You gain the benefits of the Weapon Focus feat for weapons associated with the chosen discipline". Not a weapon, but weapons. The level four discipline focus doesn't need specific weapons, just whenever you initiate a strike from the chosen discipline.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 08:20 PM
Feats.... exotic weapon proficiency: any

items: +1 morphing methaline transmuting aptitude weapon

the methaline enchancement lets you change the metal of your weapon, Devils? Silver, Fey? cold iron Constructs? (IIRC some of them get DR/adamantine) adamantine, prison bars? adamantine, etc, that is for utiliy

Transmuting after striking an enemy the weapon changes so it can overcome the enemy's DR.

Aptitude, IIRC it lets you use any feat that target a specific weapon right? so if you get this and use it for Exotic weapon proficiency you virtually get every weapon in the books. Cheesy but I think it works as RAW

as for classe if you ar going the multy-exotic weapon aptitude you maybe want to consider Exotic weapon mastes (CWar)

Draxar
2009-12-08, 09:57 PM
items: +1 morphing methaline transmuting aptitude weapon

You need sizing for the full shebang – morphing only lets it change to stuff of the same size.

Aptitude, IIRC it lets you use any feat that target a specific weapon right? so if you get this and use it for Exotic weapon proficiency you virtually get every weapon in the books. Cheesy but I think it works as RAW

Cheeky, but I think you may be right.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-08, 10:08 PM
I'm working on a similar idea myself. Shadowsmith-10/ Elemental warrior-5. You'll always have a +5 weapon of your choice that does 2D6 extra damage.

Just gotta find the right way to enter it....