PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Topic Question

BlankDeceit
2009-12-08, 06:58 PM
I would like to start by saying that this is not a discussion of the update schedule; I am aware that such topics are forbidden on this site and do not wish to violate any proscriptions. However, I find that rule itself to be surprising and was wondering if a representative of these forums felt it appropriate to offer a more exhaustive explanation than what I found on the rules page. Why is the discussion of when/how often/under what circumstances comics are posted under such a broad blanket ban? Would it not be sufficient to moderate whining and baseless complaints as spam rather than quash all speculation within the community?

I believe that this topic is within the rules set for the forums. If I have misinterpreted them, I apologize in advance.

BRC
2009-12-08, 07:48 PM
I would like to start by saying that this is not a discussion of the update schedule; I am aware that such topics are forbidden on this site and do not wish to violate any proscriptions. However, I find that rule itself to be surprising and was wondering if a representative of these forums felt it appropriate to offer a more exhaustive explanation than what I found on the rules page. Why is the discussion of when/how often/under what circumstances comics are posted under such a broad blanket ban? Would it not be sufficient to moderate whining and baseless complaints as spam rather than quash all speculation within the community?

I believe that this topic is within the rules set for the forums. If I have misinterpreted them, I apologize in advance.
Because such discussion serves no useful purpose, and often either degregates into whining or is whining framed as speculation.
The forum dosn't need a thousand posts complaining that the comic hasn't updated. Asking why it hasn't updated is just one step away from complaining, especially since The Giant has made his answer on the topic clear, and since the comic has no defined update schedule, it cannot be Late. So asking "Why hasn't the comic been posted" is the equivalent to the kid in the backseat of the car whining "Why arn't we there yet".
Speculation, even if an official answer isn't expected, is banned for a similar reason. Without more knowledge of Rich's life , there is almost no evidence on which to base our speculations, so the topic can't go anywhere besides two or three theories, with the rest of the topic being people whining (However eloquently) that the comic (Which has no defined update schedule) is Late.
What's more, a thousand posts whining that the comic isn't up does nothing besides slow down the server, push legitimate discussions off the front page, and give the mods a headache.

In summary, the comic has no schedule, and as such can never be Late. Therefore, any questions or speculations about why it's late are at best disguised whining.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-08, 09:53 PM
Because such discussion serves no useful purpose, and often either degregates into whining or is whining framed as speculation.
The forum dosn't need a thousand posts complaining that the comic hasn't updated. Asking why it hasn't updated is just one step away from complaining, especially since The Giant has made his answer on the topic clear, and since the comic has no defined update schedule, it cannot be Late. So asking "Why hasn't the comic been posted" is the equivalent to the kid in the backseat of the car whining "Why arn't we there yet".
Speculation, even if an official answer isn't expected, is banned for a similar reason. Without more knowledge of Rich's life , there is almost no evidence on which to base our speculations, so the topic can't go anywhere besides two or three theories, with the rest of the topic being people whining (However eloquently) that the comic (Which has no defined update schedule) is Late.
What's more, a thousand posts whining that the comic isn't up does nothing besides slow down the server, push legitimate discussions off the front page, and give the mods a headache.

In summary, the comic has no schedule, and as such can never be Late. Therefore, any questions or speculations about why it's late are at best disguised whining.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Also, "But if we all complain hard enough & often enough, Rich will have to work faster, & we'll get our comics sooner. Right?" Because of course, Rich not only owes us all free entertainment, & should give it to us quicker than he is safely able. Right. :smallsigh:

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-08, 10:18 PM
Why is the discussion of when/how often/under what circumstances comics are posted under such a broad blanket ban?

Because, like the other Inappropriate Topics, Rich isn't interested in funding a forum to talk about that. More to the point, such comments and threads always end poorly. No one but Rich has any information to share about when the next comic will be here. A single comment about, "gee, haven't had a comic in a while," tends to spiral into a flurry flaming in very short order.

Would it not be sufficient to moderate whining and baseless complaints as spam rather than quash all speculation within the community?

No. It would be neither sufficient nor desirable. Such speculation, which has in the past ended up with such gems as "the comic is canceled" and even "Rich is dead" is not at all useful to the community. It just creates an inevitable flame war.

So, we avoid the topic altogether. As much work as it is to lock speculation/complaint threads, it would be many times more to watch, read, and judge when such threads cross some fuzzy line.