PDA

View Full Version : 4e stacking penalties

cupkeyk
2009-12-08, 07:03 PM
If a wizard has an abberant mark of madness and a daily that lasts all encounter that attacks every round(flaming sphere, visions of avarice, grease, iluusory wall etc) will the -2 will penalty stack such that assuming three hits over 3 rounds resulting to a will penalty of -6?

Pramxnim
2009-12-08, 07:33 PM
Well, I don't recall off-hand if there were rules that prevent stacking of untyped bonuses from the same source, but just to be reasonable, I would rule that they don't stack, since they came from the same source (That particular feat on that particular character).

Kurald Galain
2009-12-08, 07:36 PM
Penalties from the same power never stack (PHB page 275).

The reasonable interpretation thereof means that penalties from Mark of Madness don't stack either, even though by a strict ruling thereof it is not a power.

cupkeyk
2009-12-08, 09:01 PM
It wouldn't be unreasonable then by RAW to have a -4(stacking) penalty from two(multiple) daily powers that both carry the penalty from aberrant mark of madness, eg a creature struck by both a flaming sphere and an illusory wall?

Gralamin
2009-12-08, 09:09 PM
It wouldn't be unreasonable then by RAW to have a -4(stacking) penalty from two(multiple) daily powers that both carry the penalty from aberrant mark of madness, eg a creature struck by both a flaming sphere and an illusory wall?

That definitely works, yes.

Pramxnim
2009-12-09, 12:17 AM
Well, if you're expending two daily resources to do so, then I'd allow it. Let's hope your DM is reasonable about it (disregard this comment if you are the DM in question).

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-09, 08:12 AM
I do not have the PHB in front of me but I would have sworn that I read that penalties stacked.

Edit: found it Page 275

Penalties: Unlike bonuses, penalties don’t have types.
Penalties add together, unless they’re from the same power.
If two monsters attack you with the same power and each
causes you to take a penalty to a particular roll or score,
you don’t add the penalties together; you take the worst
penalty.

By how that reads I would say RAW that as long as the penalties come to diffrent powers they would stack.

incubus5075
2009-12-09, 01:34 PM
By how that reads I would say RAW that as long as the penalties come to diffrent powers they would stack.

I agree, if you feel the need to pour two dailes into one target you need all the help you can get :) plus you spent a feat on the mark so as a DM I would allow it....that's just me though

cupkeyk
2009-12-10, 12:37 AM
Well the wizard in question is spamming Improved tome of readiness for Illusory wall every encounter, and he has one daily attack power for up to three encounters. A -4 to will is still huge.