PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Soulcaster: Would this work?

JasonP
2009-12-08, 07:23 PM
Would Dragonfire Adept 3 / Totemist 2 qualify for Soulcaster (Magic of Incarnum) as long as I pick up the Incarnum Spellshaping feat, take 8 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), and choose an Invocation that is at least a second level equivalent?

It would make sense for it to qualify as per the 'Dragonfire Adepts and Prestige Classes' sidebar on page 24 of Dragon Magic. This would allow me to advance my breath weapon and meldshaping at the same time which would make for a very versatile character.

Would it even be worthwhile to do Dragonfire Adept 15 / Totemist 2 / Soulcaster 3?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 07:34 PM
Assumin DFA prestige options are the same as Warlocks it depends on the pre-requisite for Soul caster-

If it says can cast a spell of x lvl and one of your invocations (Do DFA use them as invocations or as other thing?) meets that you are golden.

But if it says able to cast spells of x level, you don't qualify for it since you don't cast spells per se.

As for the build, why just Totemist 2? you don't open any chakra besides the Totem one and maybe the least ones (AFB), or does soul caster gives you accelerated rate of opened chakras?

JasonP
2009-12-08, 07:41 PM
Soulcaster would open up the least chakras at level 3 which is what I'm going for with this (instead of spending a feat to open up just one of the three least chakras, i would spend the feat to gain entry to this class and get all three with more essentia).
The specific requirement says "Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells." So I take it that's a no go from what you're saying?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 07:53 PM
Sadly yes; but I think it is pretty sensible to ask your DM if you can qualify with lesser invocations.

lesser invocations are the ones that are equivalent to 1st or 2nd lvl spell right?

JasonP
2009-12-08, 07:57 PM
Sadly yes; but I think it is pretty sensible to ask your DM if you can qualify with lesser invocations.

lesser invocations are the ones that are equivalent to 1st or 2nd lvl spell right?

Lesser Invocations are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels (the first one I would take would be a 2nd level).

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-08, 08:13 PM
If thats the case, I strongly suggest you talk to your DM to ask if you can qualify with lesser invocations