PDA

View Full Version : Worst Agony You've Experienced

Tequila Sunrise
2009-12-08, 09:13 PM
I'm on a prescription painkiller right now because I have a toothache. Toothache pain is the only agony I've ever felt that makes me want to die, and that includes breaking my femur (upper leg) and having my heart broken.

How about you?

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 09:15 PM
I got shot in the thigh once...
luckily the bullet passed through and didn't mess up anything major, but it hurt so bad I fainted.

Setra
2009-12-08, 09:16 PM
Worst pain in a single moment? Having a shot in my gums, the pain didn't last long but it was enough to make me cry. Not even breaking my wrist was that bad.

As far as Agony goes, I once had a bowel condition that lasted about a week. It was quite horrible, but I'm mostly suppressing the memories of it so I can't describe it well but.. suffice to say I wouldn't have been surprised if my intestines were in a blender.

thorgrim29
2009-12-08, 09:17 PM
Uh... details please (on the shooting, not the bowel infection)? And op, wisdom tooth removal for me.

comicshorse
2009-12-08, 09:17 PM
When I was 12 I had to have a circumcision. I woke up halfway through the operation.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-08, 09:18 PM
I have impaled my forehead on the head of a nail and gotten hit with a dirt clod, both requiring stitches. But the worst, oh the worst pain was when, I don't know why, my big toe got infected and swollen with pus. Every brush of cloth, every bump against the ground was pure agony. Try falling asleep like that. I should have gotten it lanced sooner, but I was afraid of the pain of the needle. Looking back, that was pretty stupid of me.

Setra
2009-12-08, 09:18 PM
When I was 12 I had to have a circumcision. I woke up halfway through the operation.

... ... ... ... OW.. that made me hurt THINKING about it.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-08, 09:19 PM
The WADA test. A catheter threaded from my femoral artery to my brain, they put half of the brain asleep and ask me questions, then they move things around and put the other half of my brain to sleep and ask me questions. This was much more painful than the brain surgery itself.

Linkavitch
2009-12-08, 09:24 PM
Getting a mild concussion after slipping on the ice during a broomball game and hitting my head.

Jack Squat
2009-12-08, 09:25 PM
Well, I was going to say that time I had that killer migraine from a concussion; but after reading these I think I'll just quit complaining about any pain I have ever again.

Setra
2009-12-08, 09:25 PM
The WADA test. A catheter threaded from my femoral artery to my brain, they put half of the brain asleep and ask me questions, then they move things around and put the other half of my brain to sleep and ask me questions. This was much more painful than the brain surgery itself.
I'm going to have to stop reading this thread.. all of the sudden I got this huge headache from reading that.. I mean just.. OW

DraPrime
2009-12-08, 09:26 PM
Burning oil was once spilled on my stomach. It was pure burning agony.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-08, 09:26 PM
Menangitis to the brain. :smallyuk:

For those of you who don't know, Menangitis is when a virus causes your immune system to attack your own body.

Tavar
2009-12-08, 09:28 PM
Hmmm....not sure. Toss up between spilling hot bacon grease across half my hand then taking a 4hr car ride home, or the time I got a viral infection in my small intestine: it caused it to swell , and after a couple days I actually went to the hospital, and was put on a morphine drip. Thought apparently, while on the drip I was hilarious. My wisdom teeth actually came out pretty well/

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 09:28 PM
Uh... details please (on the shooting, not the bowel infection)? And op, wisdom tooth removal for me.

driveby. me and some friends were playing soccer and someone started shooting at us from a car. we all ran but I got hit in the thigh. hurt so badddd

also- to comicshorse - why the hell did you get circumsised at 12? Jewish law says you get circumcied 8 days after birth.

also, wisdom teeth? mine was really large and round, the doctor slipped with knife when peeling the gum, slicing across my tounge. deep, but not too deep. thanksfully the toungue is really good at regeneration. imagine biting your toungue. now imagine doing it really hard, while you are at the dentist to get your mouth cut up and having 4 localized injections.

Starscream
2009-12-08, 09:30 PM
Fell 14 feet onto a cement floor. Spread eagle, basically. Hit with my face/arms/legs/torso simultaneously. It would be easier to list the body parts that weren't in agony for a week.

comicshorse
2009-12-08, 09:31 PM
also- to comicshorse - why the hell did you get circumsised at 12? Jewish law says you get circumcied 8 days after birth.

It was for medical reasons not religious

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-08, 09:31 PM
...Maybe he was a convert? Never mind.

Worst Agony, hmmm...When I get a really horrible, skin peeling rash. It's beyond regular uncomfort. It bothers me so much I literally rip my skin off.

golentan
2009-12-08, 09:32 PM
I got to hold my friend's hand as they died. That hurt more than anything, but I wouldn't want to have missed it, at the same time.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-12-08, 09:33 PM
Nothing particularly bad, but when I was 7 or 8 a jellyfish stung me all up the entirety of both my legs.
Now, being young, I naturally tried to pull the jellyfish off, using my hands.

Apparently, people came over from across the beach to see who was getting murdered.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 09:34 PM
I got to hold my friend's hand as they died. That hurt more than anything, but I wouldn't want to have missed it, at the same time.

sorry for your loss
how did it happen?

DraPrime
2009-12-08, 09:35 PM
driveby. me and some friends were playing soccer and someone started shooting at us from a car. we all ran but I got hit in the thigh. hurt so badddd

Why on earth were they shooting at kids playing soccer? Did these people just really hate the sport?

golentan
2009-12-08, 09:36 PM
sorry for your loss
how did it happen?

I don't want to talk about it.

Zocelot
2009-12-08, 09:36 PM
Having menangitis was the worst thing overall (it lasted for about a week), but specifically having to get a spinal tap for it. A spinal tap is when they stick a needle in your spine and extract some spinal fluid. I was barely lucid when it happened, and it was still the most pain I've ever felt.

Gossipmonger
2009-12-08, 09:37 PM
I had really bad appendicitis when I was about 12. I was doubled over in pain.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 09:42 PM
Why on earth were they shooting at kids playing soccer? Did these people just really hate the sport?

I wasn't really thinking about it that time. my general line was more like: (translated from spanish):
oh godhgodgodgod **** **** ***** **** I'm bleeeding I'm bleeding help

the police investigated, apparently the field we were on was their turf and they though we were a rival gang. nobody else got hurt, thank god.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-08, 09:54 PM
OK, I have no right to complain about anything hurting ever again.

With that said, it's a tossup between resisting an arm bar for 3 minutes and a groin kick. The first was slightly less pain at any given moment, but distributed over a much longer period and leaving said arm barely usable for the next hour. If you're male, you know about the second.

Recaiden
2009-12-08, 09:58 PM
I'm glad I haven't hurt that much.

For me was only having my wisdom teeth out.

Tavar
2009-12-08, 10:01 PM
groin kick....If you're male, you know about the second.
Oh, I know that one alright. I did wrestling freshman year high school. They still joke about the "Kick X in the Balls day":smallfrown:. Even if they didn't go all out, or really aim, still hurt.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-08, 10:01 PM
Wasn't as painful as some things, but I got hit on the tip of my Mr.Sunshine with a Badminton Birdie. And it was spiralling. And it was going fast. So Yeah. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoYeah)

thorgrim29
2009-12-08, 10:02 PM
full on kick? crap, I've almost vomited from an errant dodgeball, I can barely imagine a kick. And the driveby.... that's just crazy, some people are nuts. I mean, even if you had been a rival gang, in what possible way could a game of soccer be a reasonable excuse for a driveby?

waterpenguin43
Being bitten by a rabid dog in my CAUTION, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT!!!:Strotum. REALLY, DON'T!!!
DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE WHITE TEXT!!

DarkElfGangsta
I got another one, this one recent -
I got a ring stuck on my middle finger, couldn't remove it using the reguler methds. went to hospital. they gave me a a manual ring cutter. half an hour later the ring cutter's teeth were filed off completely, ring barely scratched. went to a ddifferent hospital. tried their ring cutters. went thru 3, no results. by this point, my finger is completely swolen, and a purple-black. the doctor comes, gives me two tranq. shot on the finger base, oils it, starts pulling. I fainted. apparently they tore something in my finger, so they decided to stop puulling. my finger is looking really bad, no feeling what so ever, 3 times it size. we called a jeweler from town, who brought his diamond cutting tools. this had to be done extremely carefully, as one small movement could cut off my finger. 20 minutes later, the ring was cut through.
the finger is fine now, no longer purple, and is usable.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-08, 10:04 PM
Being bitten by a rabid dog in my CAUTION, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT!!!:Scrotum. REALLY, DON'T!!!
DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE WHITE TEXT!!

...I'm sorry...I think I just dislocated my jaw there...

Me...I've been pretty VERY lucky...I guess I would have to say when I had to have a tooth pulled...That was fused to my jawbone.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-08, 10:05 PM
Having my tonsils removed.

waterpenguin43
2009-12-08, 10:06 PM
...I'm sorry...I think I just dislocated my jaw there...

Me...I've been pretty VERY lucky...I guess I would have to say when I had to have a tooth pulled...That was fused to my jawbone.
Ouch.
PS: I was 8 at the time.

Eon
Belly flopping twice. same spot. and they wondered why i didn't want to try another entry dive.
nothing compared to everyone elses but...

Temotei
Hm. I must...stop complaining. Migraines are terrible and all. Umm...worst agony is hard to remember. A lot of things have hurt.

Probably something emotional, like my parents' divorce, or my great grandma's death.

Physically, I'm going to have to say either my worst migraine, which literally had me thinking I was upside down and was blurring my vision to the point of blindness.

Worst taste ever: Tamiflu.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-08, 10:07 PM
Ouch.
PS: I was 8 at the time.

...Holy...

...Where did you have to have the shots?

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 10:15 PM
how did he get to your rectum? like in between the chicks, through pants?
also OUCH

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-08, 10:16 PM
also OUCH

Not his rectum. His scrotum.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 10:18 PM
Not his rectum. His scrotum.

:smalleek:
*instinctively protects area concerned with radio, looking around for small dogs.*
that....is something no guy should ever need to go through.

Halna LeGavilk
2009-12-08, 10:22 PM
Ouch. Wow. Just ouch.

Worst pain I get is when my leg cramps from lack of potassium or dehydration- the whole muscle in my calf hardens like a rock and the pain shoots up my whole leg. Hurt so bad I once woke up, sweating. The sheets were soaked, indicating this had been happening for at least a minute or two.

DraPrime
2009-12-08, 10:23 PM
:smalleek:
*instinctively protects area concerned with radio, looking around for small dogs.*
that....is something no guy should ever need to go through.

Although the rectum isn't exactly fun either.

Perenelle
2009-12-08, 10:32 PM
For some reason I used to get really, really bad cramps in my calves in the middle of the night whenever I stretched. It felt like the muscle was about to rip apart because it tightened so much. :smallsigh: Hurt really bad. and I got them almost every night and always woke up in excruciating pain. and they took a while to wear off, so I sat there for about 3 minutes clutching my leg rocking back and forth... It was terrible. I was afraid to go to sleep because I expected to get them so I stayed up until 11pm every night and ate two bananas before I went to sleep hoping that it'd help. It didn't. :smallfrown:

Luckily they suddenly stopped a few months ago. thank god.. It was really scaring me.

Syka
I have 2.5 examples.

The .5 is because I don't consciously remember it. When I was 20 months old I had a colonoscopy that, evidently, I kept waking up during. Now...I don't remember this at all, but the fact that 20 years later I still bear the psychological scars and resultant physical response from it, I'd say it was pretty agonizing.

The first one is a my unaided menstrual cramps. I'm on the Pill right now so they are mostly bearable, but pre-Pill and when I was on too low of a dose, it is the most excruitiating pain I have felt. The only thing that came close was a bad bout of stomache flu/possible food poisoning I had which had my upper abdomen in extreme cramps for 24 hours. But yeah, my menstrual cramps are generalized, and strong. I do not throw up from them (or anything else for that matter), but all I am capable of doing even with painkillers is laying curled up and try to go to sleep, which usually fails. I am often crying, and I can not concentrate on anything to the point I can't read (a major thing for me). I am not a wimp, either. Aided, they can still hurt like a bitch but I can get through them and work through it without too much difficulty.

The only other one was when my ex broke up with me and then proceded to let me know he cheated on me (during the break up I was told he hadn't loved me for a while, yada yada yada). I didn't throw up then, either, but I was dry heaving for about half an hour, it was an hour before I could make myself move. The fact I was in both physical and emotional pain makes that probably the most agonizing thing I've dealt with. The cramps are bad, but having some shred your life to pieces? I was numb for about 3 days, then I ignored the whole situation and dealt with it in bits and pieces over about a year. That was hard enough; if I had dealt with it all at once, I don't know that I'd have gotten through it as well as I did.

golentan
Although the rectum isn't exactly fun either.

It's so tempting to make a F.A.T.A.L. joke right about now.

Not that I don't sympathize. I winced when I read that. I was kicked in... that general area once, and it was terrible.

Let's see, physical pain for me had to be getting stabbed in the arm. Guy stabbed me, and twisted the knife.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 10:41 PM
The only other one was when my ex broke up with me and then proceded to let me know he cheated on me (during the break up I was told he hadn't loved me for a while, yada yada yada). I didn't throw up then, either, but I was dry heaving for about half an hour, it was an hour before I could make myself move. The fact I was in both physical and emotional pain makes that probably the most agonizing thing I've dealt with. The cramps are bad, but having some shred your life to pieces? I was numb for about 3 days, then I ignored the whole situation and dealt with it in bits and pieces over about a year. That was hard enough; if I had dealt with it all at once, I don't know that I'd have gotten through it as well as I did.

he sounds like an butthole. do you know why he was an jackass about it though? unless you dont wanna talk about it

TruorTupnm
2009-12-08, 10:44 PM
While wrestling at the age of six, the other guy did something, and I didn't know from how to go with the flow, apparently, so the tendons and slash or ligaments of both knees were ripped. I do not recommend it. They got better, but now, both knees are tricky and will randomly land me on my face. Always a surprise, these knees!

Additionally, this didn't happen to myself, but I was reminded of it with the DarkElfGangsta person's story ---> Some guy at my middle school was dunking a basketball and got his ring stuck in the hoop on the way down. Ripped his finger directly outwards. He was one of a set of identical twins, before that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-08, 10:45 PM
Not even going to go into emotional.

Physically... both happened within a week of each other. I tore a tendon in my knee. Total freak accident while playing soccer. Just jogging along, feeling fine, leg just collapses, twists sideways and rips. Don't sleep for 3 days.

Week later, still in agony, I get... something. Dunno what it was to this day, but worst stomach pain ever. I was hallucinating I was in such pain, and couldn't eat for nearly a week, hurling everything that went down. Could barely even hold down gatorade. Lost 20 lbs.

Edit: In fact, while I was doing so I would have swore I was heaving solid waste from my lower bowels. Can you actually reverse the process from such a depth?

Now, I'm almost completely immune to novacaine and was feeling almost every bot of a root canal. It was bad, but nothing like the above combination.

Crispy Dave
2009-12-08, 10:45 PM
Emotional pain by far /emo

RS14
2009-12-08, 10:48 PM
Not even going to go into emotional.

Ditto.

Worst physical pain was probably a spinal tap when I was an infant. Fortunately, I remember nothing. :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2009-12-08, 10:49 PM
he sounds like an butthole. do you know why he was an jackass about it though? unless you dont wanna talk about it

It was complicated, to say the least. Suffice to say, we both handled the last several months of the relationship poorly and one of us should have broken it off long before when it actually got broken up. I don't think his intention was to be a jerk, but I do think it was the only way we would have broken up and stayed broken up. We'd both previously mentioned it, but neither of us had the balls to stick to it. We were each others first real relationship, and had been together over 3 years, and got together when he was 15 and I 16.

So...yeah, it was not handled well. He just happened to end up the bad guy because he was silly and cheated. Neither of us is particularly clean, his part in it was just particularly mean (my main issue was lack of backbone...I still hate myself for that sometimes :-\). I honestly don't hold anything against him, nor am I angry anymore. It is easily the worst pain I have ever been in, though.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-12-08, 10:58 PM
@ DarkElfGangsta: What was that ring made of?!

For some reason I used to get really, really bad cramps in my calves in the middle of the night whenever I stretched. It felt like the muscle was about to rip apart because it tightened so much. :smallsigh: Hurt really bad. and I got them almost every night and always woke up in excruciating pain. and they took a while to wear off, so I sat there for about 3 minutes clutching my leg rocking back and forth... It was terrible. I was afraid to go to sleep because I expected to get them so I stayed up until 11pm every night and ate two bananas before I went to sleep hoping that it'd help. It didn't. :smallfrown:
I had that when I was a kid, when I stretched my toes straight down every night. Then my mother told me that the toe stretching was the problem; I stopped and instantly stopped getting nightly cramps. (Well I still get one once in a blue moon, but I never have to eat a banana!)

My sympathies. Mine didn't cheat, but she did tell me how boring a guy I am.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-08, 11:05 PM
@ DarkElfGangsta: What was that ring made of?!

a combination of metals. dont know what it's called in english, but Iron, some silver, and tungsten I think.

to Fox
that's still no excuse. this may sound chaovinistic, but guys should never ever make their ladies cry.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-08, 11:07 PM
voluntary

getting the tip of my funny bone tattooed (that bone that stick out slightly on the inside of your elbow joint when you bend it to a 90o angle). worse than getting the ditch done by far... only place i've EVER asked for a breather when it was done

medical/involuntary

had 2 wisdoms out - both impacted. The 2nd was alright (and they perscribed codeine, so the following 2 weeks recovery was WONDERFUL). The first??? Oh lord. It was cracked tooth, i'd lost half the crown and it was infected. They had to numb the main nerve (which caused me to have temporary blindness - interesting experiance), cut a flap into the gum, saw the tooth in half and then leaver out both the clean back half and the infected front half - which came out in 5 pieces.

that and having my teeth scaled - THAT SUCKED THE MOST. Worst than the elbow. Worse than multiple shoulder dislocations. It was agonising because i had such bad plaque build up. no fun at all.

Escef
2009-12-08, 11:11 PM
An ex-girlfriend stopped talking to me. I was still hung up on her and had really brought it on myself. (In retrospect, she was no prize, either. Very angry, hate filled girl. Saddest part was she probably hated herself more than anything else.) But I was in and out of a stupor for two days. I was able to bring myself out of it because I had to go to work. The routine of work was almost reassuring, it helped. Some good did come of it. I started to radically change my life at that point. I donated my hair to charity (I had hair down to the small of my back, I shaved it all off), and not too long after my goatee went as well. And I joined the Army, because I realized my life lacked purpose, and I sought to find one. Just over four years later and I'm getting out of the Army. It is no longer my place.

There was also when I had my lower wisdom teeth removed. The uppers were no problem at all. The lowers required my gums to be cut open, the teeth sawed in two, and the chunks removed. They knocked me out for it, but after it wore off it was the first time I hurt so badly that I felt I needed the painkillers.

There was also the time I twisted my ankle really bad. I've rolled my ankles so many times it isn't funny. It hurts like hell, but passes soon enough. But when I twisted it this time, it was bad. Everytime I put weight on it there was an accompanying string of curses. I couldn't walk on it for a couple days, and was limping for a few more.

Achilles
2009-12-08, 11:12 PM
I got a rash on my scro....er.... private parts from salt water at the beach. You don't know pain until the skin starts falling off your genitals. That's a lie, there are lots of painful things, but that is up there.

Syka
2009-12-08, 11:15 PM
Darkelf, he did that a lot. :smallsigh: As I said, it was in decline for a while. There are no hard feelings there.

Pancake, are you masochistic? Lol. If I didn't want a side piece so bad, I'd avoid boney places at all- my fox didn't hurt a bit. It was pretty cool actually. Alas, I want a side piece, despite the ribs and the fact that right under my ribs is super ticklish. Am I masochistic too? >>

ETA: Everyone is mentioning wisdom teeth. I had all four of mine out at a time, one socket even got infected. Other than it being incredibly uncomfortable, I don't remember it hurting-hurting too bad. But then...I was on painkillers the entire time I was healing pretty much. I don't even remember what it felt like. >>

dps
2009-12-08, 11:23 PM
Getting out of the shower, I once accidentally smacked the big toe on my right foot on the track that the shower door runs on, and split it open (my toe, not the shower door) length-wise all the way to the bone. I think that was probably the worst pain that i remember feeling.

When I was 2, I ran a pencil into my ear canal and ruptured my eardrum. That probably hurt worse than splitting open my toe, but I don't remember what it felt like.

RS14
2009-12-08, 11:32 PM
ETA: Everyone is mentioning wisdom teeth. I had all four of mine out at a time, one socket even got infected. Other than it being incredibly uncomfortable, I don't remember it hurting-hurting too bad. But then...I was on painkillers the entire time I was healing pretty much. I don't even remember what it felt like. >>

Mine didn't hurt too bad either, and I was only taking over-the-counter painkillers. I think a lot has to do with the situation the teeth are in, particularly how close they are to the nerves. I had mine our early, to avoid such problems.

Escef
2009-12-08, 11:33 PM
Everyone is mentioning wisdom teeth. I had all four of mine out at a time, one socket even got infected. Other than it being incredibly uncomfortable, I don't remember it hurting-hurting too bad. But then...I was on painkillers the entire time I was healing pretty much. I don't even remember what it felt like. >>

Bolded section explains all. When I had my uppers pulled I was given percocets, but I didn't use them, it wasn't that bad. I ended up flushing the pills. Last thing I needed was a bottle full of percocets in my barracks room if they decided to do an inspection. The lowers? I took the percocets. The night I discovered I really needed them sucked. I'd left them at my barracks room about an hour's drive away while staying overnight at the ladyfriend's place. I must have downed around 3200 mgs of ibuprofen in under 2 hours, and when that didn't work I tried rubbing rum on my gums in an effort to de-sensitize them. (That didn't work either.) I went to the local clinic in the dead of the night (had the ladyfriend drive, I was in too much pain to concentrate on the road), and they gave me something as a stop-gap until I could retrieve my percs. (The doc cautioned me to lay off the ibuprofen for fear of doing liver damage.)

RedMorganne
2009-12-08, 11:37 PM
{Scrubbed}

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-08, 11:39 PM
...I...Oh my God...

...I wish there was something more I could say...

Escef
2009-12-08, 11:45 PM
don't want to depress you guys but...

Well... You win the thread... I somehow doubt it to be much of a consolation. :smallfrown:

Chas the mage
2009-12-08, 11:52 PM
...reading all this scared the crap out of me.

I was gonna say it was when I got a boxers fracture or tore a muscle on my hip.

I got the boxers fracture by getting hit in the hand by a fastball while in full swing... it hurt like all hell but i didn't say anything...

I my hip muscle when I was sprinting. the previous weekend I went on a 20 mile hike, without stretching or warming up. then iw as doing track and after sprinting ~60 yards I stopped entirely and coulden't so much as touch my foot to the ground

Zeuy
2009-12-09, 12:10 AM
I was abused by my parents for 14 and half years: mentally, physically, and sexually. Then I moved out and struggled with self-esteem issues while I lived at friends' houses and tried to finished high school. Deeper issues are barely starting to emerge after six years, which constantly remind of that time of my life.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-09, 12:22 AM
I don't mean to belittle anyone, but I think the guy meant physical pain. if not, I'll shut up.

both of you have my simpathy and good will.

ozyran
2009-12-09, 12:28 AM
This. (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/what-i-learned-today/83157-wear-your-gear.html)

My wife and I wrecked on a motorcycle last year. We came off the motorcycle as a single unit, and when we landed, we landed as a unit; I was a cushion for my wife, who weighed more than 140 lbs with full riding gear on. We were moving at 20+ mph when we hit the ground and I had the wind knocked out of me.

Needless to say, I had slight difficulty breathing (just bruised ribs, not broken ones thankfully), and my arm - pinned under me when my wife and I landed - didn't feel too good afterward.

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 12:32 AM
Well, for physical pain its got to be the first (of three) times I dislocated my left knee. I was playing soccer (goalie) and dove for a ball. For whatever reason when I landed I heard my knee pop and then the worst pain of my life,. I looked at my kneecap and it was about two inches to the left of where it should be. Then about 30 seconds later it popped back in. I honestly wished I'd passed out, but no luck.

The next two times didn't hurt as much thankfully.

blackfox
2009-12-09, 12:48 AM
Physical pain--nothing really sticks out, but then again my pain tolerance is all sorts of messed up. The one I remember being the most upset over was breaking my arm, when I was 6. Which is likely just because I was 6.

Wisdom teeth--was TRIPPING on whatever they gave me intravenously, refused codeine, and took normal doses of ibuprofen for a week and was fine. And all four were impacted. :smallconfused:

Emotional--whenever I feel like I won't be able to break the cycle.

Egiam
2009-12-09, 01:02 AM
Oh.. and gals in the playground... you all have no idea how painful a strike to the balls is. (Captain Obvious to the rescue)

Anyway...

I have had a type one allergic reaction to a snickers bar. It was not painful... but not being able to breath is an unpleasant experience. I would prefer the shot in the gums to it. I was on a roadtrip at the time. My parent thought that I was getting overly dramatic, describing how I felt. I wasn't. I was really in a life-threatening situation. Thank the Sovereign Host for modern medicine.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-09, 01:10 AM
Excuse my cynicism (not that you likely will)... :smallyuk: ...ok, ANYWAYS, I'm seriously pondering the authenticity of some of these claims.

Manicotti
2009-12-09, 01:12 AM
I go through fits of agony whenever I log onto other forums and witness the abortions of coherent thought conceived therein.:smalltongue:

Seriously, though - worst physical agony = spraining my ankle playing soccer. I overbalanced when I stopped the ball with my foot; the ball and my foot went one way, and the rest of me went somewhere else perpendicular to that.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-09, 01:12 AM
Probably that time when I was sitting in the car.

With a hole in my head above my left eye, from a rock bigger then my head/I couldn't lift it with two hands) landing on my head.
The blood seeped inside my eye and was just terrible.
And then the noises made my migraine act up.

And I wasn't on painkillers at the time.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-09, 01:15 AM
Ok, I think this thread needs to be sent to every football jock who tries to belittle the 'lil soccer pansies'.

Hey, tough guy, remove the inches of padding and the codpiece from within thine trousers and let's see what kinda man you are.

Setra
2009-12-09, 01:20 AM
Well, for physical pain its got to be the first (of three) times I dislocated my left knee. I was playing soccer (goalie) and dove for a ball. For whatever reason when I landed I heard my knee pop and then the worst pain of my life,. I looked at my kneecap and it was about two inches to the left of where it should be. Then about 30 seconds later it popped back in. I honestly wished I'd passed out, but no luck.

The next two times didn't hurt as much thankfully.
I hardly remember the first time I dislocated my knee, I think I passed out, and I don't remember being in pain when I woke up. So I can't call that agony..

Nowadays though my knee is incredibly easy to dislocate (I can do so by sitting wrong), but it doesn't seem to hurt that badly, luckily. Though to be fair, whenever it happens I am as still as can be until it pops back in place, I don't want to know how much it would hurt if I tried to move it.

scsimodem
2009-12-09, 01:32 AM
I've got a couple.

First, my kidney stone. Just...ow. Now, I, being a guy, don't have a basis for comparison, but I hear that it's as bad as labor pains and I BELIEVE IT! I spent all morning switching back and forth between thinking it would kill me and hoping it would. The worst part was all the people I know wouldn't give me a ride to the hospital because they thought it was a muscle cramp. This makes even less sense if you read the second one.

My first college was the United States Naval Academy. Within a couple of weeks of getting there, I got a stress fracture on my right shin. For those of you who don't know, stress fractures from running crack vertically, so we're talking a crack with the potential to be a foot long. However, it was hard to spot on X-rays. The orthopedist said my leg was broken, but the geniuses back at my company told me I was being a wuss. They took away my crutches and I had to run on that thing for 6 days before I snuck off to physical therapy and subsequently dropped out. To this day, I feel no pain when exercising. I have to pace myself carefully, or I will completely collapse mid-run and have to rest...in excruciating pain...for 15 minutes or more before I can stand up.

Number 3 below that is a distant third...food poisoning.

Manicotti
2009-12-09, 01:34 AM
Number 3 below that is a distant third...food poisoning.

How does that feel, incidentally? I've been using it for months as an excuse to skip class.

Temotei
2009-12-09, 01:41 AM
You people...I love this thread. These stories are just...painful to read. :smallamused:

scsimodem
2009-12-09, 01:42 AM
How does that feel, incidentally? I've been using it for months as an excuse to skip class.

Imagine 10 hours where 5 out of every 15 minutes is spent hurling so hard you pull every muscle in your back and abdomen within the first hour. I kept everybody in the two room suite I live in awake all night. One of them said I sounded like I had the worst hangover in history, only 10 times longer.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-09, 01:43 AM
Like a tiny spiked ball bouncing around in the upper areas of your stomach.

Depends on what kind of food poisening you exactly got, though.
But I got a light case of food poisening a couple of weeks ago and thats how it felt like.

Manicotti
2009-12-09, 01:57 AM
Interesting. It does indeed matter what kind you get, but I always imagined it like...really bad diarrhea + nausea, or something.

Kneenibble
2009-12-09, 01:59 AM
After reading through the thread, I more fully realize that nothing I have experienced in my life so far is worthy to be predicate of this grave word agony.

Thajocoth
2009-12-09, 02:07 AM
Most pain... Probably when I accidentally locked my thumb in the car. It's still attached and working fine.

Other contenders:

- When I lept off the couch onto a glass table. I don't remember it (was a toddler), so I've no idea how much pain I was in.

- When I was hit by a car, launched into the air, and landed such that one of my keys inserted into my side (perpendicular, as if there was a keyhole there), and all my keychain-thingies were destroyed in the process (including folding a piece of metal in half. It was a rectangle. I estimate it was about 3" x 1" x 1/8", but I'm probably off.)

- I once stepped backwards off a treehouse-type thing and landed on my wrist. Only time I've broken a bone.

- Didn't have my impact shorts tight enough while snowboarding, so they weren't covering the right places. It was near the end of the season, so the snow was a bit melty, with patches of ice and the ability to see the ground through the snow in some spots. The mountain punched me pretty hard in the side of the leg.

- When I wound a tennis net too tight, the catch snapped off, and the handle swung around and hit my in the nads.

-----

As for people discussing intestinal difficulties... Spoilered for people that don't want to know.
For many years now I've had trouble. It's slightly wider than a baseball and fairly hard. I've destroyed my share of plungers, and always make sure to get the good plungers with thicker rubber so they'll last maybe a year instead of a month. Pipes in the US aren't actually big enough to handle my output. Sometimes the plunger won't even work and I'd need to break it up with a plastic knife to make it go down, though that's not incredibly common. At most, that might happen half a dozen times in a year. I only go every 2-3 days. Hurts every time. I avoid sitting for several minutes after too...

Very unhealthy, I know, but dietary changes are not an option.

Setra
2009-12-09, 02:23 AM
As for people discussing intestinal difficulties... Spoilered for people that don't want to know.
For many years now I've had trouble. It's slightly wider than a baseball and fairly hard. I've destroyed my share of plungers, and always make sure to get the good plungers with thicker rubber so they'll last maybe a year instead of a month. Pipes in the US aren't actually big enough to handle my output. Sometimes the plunger won't even work and I'd need to break it up with a plastic knife to make it go down, though that's not incredibly common. At most, that might happen half a dozen times in a year. I only go every 2-3 days. Hurts every time. I avoid sitting for several minutes after too...

Very unhealthy, I know, but dietary changes are not an option.
Someone knows my pain!!

Uh.. Sorry

Yarram
2009-12-09, 02:25 AM
Probably when I was bit by a redback spider... It didn't necessarily hurt as much as the time I had a needle go through a mouth ulcer, but it just went ON and ON.

Thajocoth
2009-12-09, 02:29 AM
Oh, I forgot about the time I tried to give blood. It was very painful, so I was making a squealing noise which distracted the nurse. She went too far, out the other end of my vein. After telling me she popped my vein and can't take blood from that arm now, she asked if I wanted her to try the other arm. I declined, left my car at the hospital overnight, and called for a ride. (I was in no position to drive.)

Temotei
2009-12-09, 02:57 AM
Oh, I forgot about the time I tried to give blood. It was very painful, so I was making a squealing noise which distracted the nurse. She went too far, out the other end of my vein. After telling me she popped my vein and can't take blood from that arm now, she asked if I wanted her to try the other arm. I declined, left my car at the hospital overnight, and called for a ride. (I was in no position to drive.)

Was she doing it wrong that it hurt? I don't remember it hurting that badly. Just really annoying stings.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-12-09, 02:58 AM
Worst pain I can recall is when I fell out of that tree that one time. I grabbed the branch that was just within reach and swung my legs up to hook onto it, but before I could get a good grip with my legs, I lost my grip with my hands. I fell in such a way that I landed on my shoulder blades and I'm really lucky that neither of my knees ended up in my face. The truly painful part was the way my spine had to bend for my knees and shoulders to end up occupying the same point in space. It hurt so bad that I writhed in agony for a few seconds before I blacked out. I couldn't walk without help for 4 days and was in vicious pain for a week. I still get a dull ache from it from time to time. I probably should've seen a doctor. Given what I know about anatomy, it's really incredible that I didn't break anything or do any real harm to myself. You'd think a guy in his early twenties would know better :smallamused:

RobertoBlasini
2009-12-09, 02:59 AM
Getting shot in the eye with an airsoft pellet while you're taking a piss is pretty agonizing, let me tell ya. I was on bed rest for four days because of it. I was in a friend's house when it happened, too.

Meirnon
2009-12-09, 03:02 AM
To Roberto, I'd say something completely inappropriate about his mother. The worst I've felt, though, would be suffocation. This still applies to his mother.

(Don't worry, RL friends here, it's an ongoing joke).

EDIT: if being crushed and suffocated doesn't count (Roberto's mom is a heavy-set woman), having a hernia was pretty bad. I was in 3rd or 4th grade and went to school with it for 3 days. Felt like someone was stabbing my left testicle. On the fourth day I was in debilitating pain that kept me from moving, so my parents finally decided it was a good idea to get it checked.

Arutema
2009-12-09, 03:22 AM
Let's see:

Getting dumped on New Years Eve was pretty nasty.

Physically:
Taking a groin hit in a bicycle accident wasn't very fun, but fortunately I was young and the area wasn't quite so sensitive yet.

Falling and landing knee-first on a concrete floor was pretty nasty. Nothing broken, but took a long time to heal.

Wisdom tooth removal with complications afterward was bad, but I had vicodin for that.

In general, I consider myself lucky at avoiding physical injuries.

Thajocoth
2009-12-09, 04:13 AM
Was she doing it wrong that it hurt? I don't remember it hurting that badly. Just really annoying stings.

I've always squealed from the pain while getting any needle to the arm. Could be sensitive nerves, I guess, if it's not normal for that to hurt so much. Or I could just be a wuss. You never know.

-----

I just remembered another, since somebody mentioned getting hit in the eye... In middle school, I was running to class, through the snow, and looked up at the snow falling. (First snow of the season.) Then, suddenly, the end of a tree branch scraped against the side of my eyeball. I'm VERY VERY lucky it hit PRECISELY where it did. My vision wasn't impaired from it, but it hurt a lot. The eye was scarred (or whatever it's called) on the side for a couple weeks.

And I also had a giant rubber band snap in my eye when I was in elementary school. Was at a place called "Space Plex". They had a tower of rubber band things for kids to climb. My hand slipped, and the combined speed of me falling towards it (since my hand was not supporting me in that direction anymore) and the rubber band snapping upward (since my hand was pressing against it prior to that slip), was quicker than my reflex to blink. I was at least not looking forward.

I'm pretty sure I've remembered and posted any noteworthy pain I've gotten at this point... But I thought that after my previous post too.

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 04:46 AM
also OUCHHe probably won't see this now, but I lawled :smallbiggrin:

Edit: In fact, while I was doing so I would have swore I was heaving solid waste from my lower bowels. Can you actually reverse the process from such a depth?1. Ew.
2. I think I have heard of something like that, but I don't have anything more definite than that...
- When I lept off the couch onto a glass table. I don't remember it (was a toddler), so I've no idea how much pain I was in.I did that when I was little, too :smallbiggrin: I don't think I particularly hurt myself, though.

For me:
- When I was little, I put my hand right on a hotplate trying to climb on the bench. That's one I don't remember, but my sister tells me our babysitter was useless.
- I'm not very kind to my tailbone. The first time, I sat down on a tap. I can't find a picture of the sort it was, but it was pointy bit up. I had a big scratch at the top of my bum crack.
The second time, while drunk, I slid down a door onto one of these:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/1/6/7/2/1/webimg/278669128_o.jpg
I landed, with all my weight, tailbone-first right on the corner of the handle. I don't know whether it was good or bad that I was drunk (on the one hand, it dulled the pain somewhat. On the other, I probably wouldn't have done that if I were sober), but I was rolling around on the ground in pain for quite a long time afterwards. Sleeping that night was very uncomfortable, especially as I was on a couch. For a long time I couldn't do sit-ups at all, and after that could (maybe still can) only do them on something soft. Dr. Mum gave me painkillers to take to school for 6-12 months afterwards. I think I probably broke my tailbone, but X-rays in that area are an infertility risk, and they couldn't have done anything about it anyway.
- Mentioned this one recently, getting anaesthetic injections in my infected toenail big toe (that's irony, right?). I counted 10 that I felt, I think there were a couple more I didn't count, and then a couple after that that I didn't feel. Pull out one of your toe hairs, very slowly, and you might start to get an idea of what it felt like.

Others I know:
- My mother's hip used to occasionally get a really intense pain that she claimed was worse than childbirth. When she was a teenager she had a bone disease in her hip that caused it to dissolve away, and she had to go to hospital for more than a year while it grew back. Decades later, she had a hip replacement (she now sets of hand-held metal detectors). Supposedly, this pain has nothing to do with those. She takes epilepsy tablets to prevent the episodes.
- My mother also once ran into a metal road railing while riding her bike. Probably didn't hurt as much as her hip, but she got bruises all up her side and down her thigh. She still had the stains from them a year later.
- My dad was once stung by a catfish. It hurt a lot, so he called... someone, I can't remember who, to ask about it, and was told to get to a hospital. He decided it wasn't so bad... then 15 minutes later crawled into the emergency room in agony.
- Again, I think the above was worse, but my dad was also once in a motorbike accident (actually, he was in 3: all not his fault, all witnessed by a police officer, and all paid for a trip to England. And all before I was born :smallannoyed:). He ended up in the gutter with the bike on top of him, and the... exhaust? something very very hot resting on his calf. He tried to get the cop's attention to help him up, but he was more interested in calling the person responsible an idiot. He now has a shiny, smooth patch the size of a floppy disc on his leg.
- I think my sister had a car door close - and latch - on her finger, too.

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-09, 04:52 AM
I once had two of my toenails torn off when a heavy wooden door was closed on my foot. But that would really just be the soup and salad for the main course of HORRIFIC PAIN contained in this thread.

KuReshtin
2009-12-09, 05:11 AM
The two most painful things I've experienced were both leg-related.
First one was a partially torn calf muscle, incurred while at (American) football practice which pretty much had me bedridden for three days. Couldn't put any weight at all on that leg, and when I went to see the doctor about it, they said that since it didn't tear all the way through, they wouldn't do anything about it, so just rest for a while.

The second one has been a couple of times when I've had cellulitis, which is an infection of the subcutaneous tissue, usually in your lower leg. The pain from that is best described as having had your skin peeled off the leg and then refastened with fishing hooks. Last bout of that had me hospitalised for a week, while getting antibiotics through IV four times a day. The antibiotics were so potent, they actually started to irritate the veins to the point where they started closing up, so I had to get the cnnula redone three times during the week I was at the hospital.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7Tn9Kao9lf8/Sx95KhoZ6-I/AAAAAAAAAB8/l4KJMO31ff8/s144/2009-08-30%2009.03.19.jpg

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 05:15 AM
The two most painful things I've experienced were both leg-related.
First one was a partially torn calf muscle, incurred while at (American) football practice which pretty much had me bedridden for three days. Couldn't put any weight at all on that leg, and when I went to see the doctor about it, they said that since it didn't tear all the way through, they wouldn't do anything about it, so just rest for a while.You think that's bad? My cousin had his calf torn off, or close to it! :smalltongue:
He was riding on the bullbar of a ute, when he fell off. His leg got caught on the metal, while the rest of him went under the front - run over or bleeding to death, take your pick. He's alright now, but he nearly died, and he has a huge scar right over his calf muscle. Don't have any more detail than that... I wonder whether he has any pictures of it on Facespace...

edit: I'm very, very sorry to say that this is the best I've found so far. So sorry. I hope to God I can find a better... You can see some of it on the lower leg, anyway. I think that's it...
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1959/205/46/530960210/n530960210_2375583_9769.jpg

daggaz
2009-12-09, 05:26 AM
Losing the love of my life and being abandoned in a foreign country, which led to a six year suicidal depression..

But if we are talking about boo-boo's, I had a double root canal with no anesthetic of any kind, not even aspirin. I broke the arm off the dentist's chair.

HotAndCold
2009-12-09, 05:29 AM
Chronic severe menstrual cramps. For years, the first day of that time of month involved long periods of being curled up in a miserable little ball on my bathroom floor. Because of course the pain alone wasn't enough, oh no, it had to come with a nice heaping dose of nausea, too. Ah, nothing says joy like dry heaving over and over until something manages to come up, because if you feel like puking that much, then obviously actually managing to puke will alleviate the feeling some!

Yeah, not so much.

But now I'm on that wonderful invention called The Pill and have been blissfully cramp-free for half a year now. It's tilde-worthy~

--

As far as more instantaneous agony goes, I had an abscess on my armpit a bit ago from folliculitis. It had to be cut open and drained, and I got stuck in my armpit with the anesthesia needle about half a dozen times, and that thing hurts, especially considering I wasn't expecting it to be any worse than having blood drawn. >_o It felt like getting bitten by some small vicious animal, followed by a burning sensation right under the skin. 6 times over.

And while this wasn't nearly as painful, putting a band-aid over the cut from that the next day instead of getting some sort of medical bandage that didn't involve adhesive on my armpit? Not the best idea I've ever had. :smallsigh:

Innis Cabal
2009-12-09, 05:30 AM
After surgery I had a tube inserted into my side to drain fluid and blood out of my body. This was all gravy untill they went to remove it. A foot of the stuff later I was in so much pain I almost through up. The words "Breath in, this'll pinch" will never be heeded again in a medical office.

KuReshtin
2009-12-09, 05:33 AM
You think that's bad?

I didn't say it was bad, I just said it was one of the two most painful things I have experienced.

Well, nut-shots apart, but they've been discused before in this thread, so I thought I'd skip those.

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 05:34 AM
edit: I didn't mean to belittle you/it or anything, just teasing and it made a useful combination reminder/seguay(sp?). Sorry.

I don't think it hurt her, but a friend of mine has a tube going from her brain to her stomach... She'd told me before that she had a "shunt" from her skull, but I imagined it as maybe a couple of inches in the base of her skull to her spine. Not 2 feet from somewhere in her head, down the front of her throat (can see it now she's pointed it out), through who-knows-where into her stomach! :smalleek:
Really drove it home that what she fairly casually refers to as this surgery she had when she was younger, she was talking about pretty damn major surgery.

Grimlock
2009-12-09, 05:54 AM
Mental anguish watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen!
Physical pain- dunno really! Not done anything bad enough I suppose!
But Transformers 2 was aweful though!

Iethloc
2009-12-09, 06:15 AM
I've got a few experiences to share.

The worst physical pain I've ever had was a horrific ear infection in 6th grade. At one point it felt like molten lead was being poured into my ear, and for several minutes all I could do was roll around on the floor, screaming. Some antibiotics cleared it up very quickly, but then I got what looked like hives, so I had to stop taking it. However, just a few months ago when I was browsing through wikipedia, I found an article on the anti-biotic I was on. Amoxicillin.

The stuff known to cause a non-allergic rash.

My ear canals still have some swelling, and I get to enjoy a short relapse whenever I get a cold (nothing NEARLY as bad as the first time around, thankfully). And since I also have similarly long-lived swelling in my right nostril, my right sinus was completely swollen shot when I got the flu a month or so back. The pressure on the right side of my face built up so much that my right eye became bloodshot, teary and quite painful.

Another one not related to the above
Off the top of my head, the worst emotional agony I ever had was a couple weeks before aforementioned flu, when I was at a friends house. It was really late at night and both my friends decided to catch some sleep, but I had already stayed up too late and so trying to get sleep was hopeless for me. I have a lot of trouble staying hydrated, and apparently the lack of sleep aggravated it so much that by the morning I was drinking a full glass of water every few minutes, and just kept going to the bathroom right afterwards. The inside of my mouth was so dry that the inside of my cheeks was becoming gray, dry and rough. Of course, I also felt woozy and uncoordinated. For several hours. Not many things are scarier than seeing your body start slowly dying and not being able to do anything about it, but this time a nap cleared it up, no need for a trip to the hospital.

Most likely related to this dehydration problem is the frequent cramps I get in my lower legs, especially in my right foot and calf. The muscle constricts quite hard and it feels like it is actively trying to rip itself from the bone. When this happens it's hard but possible to move it, but that only makes it hurt several times worse. This only happens rarely, so I haven't been to the hospital about it.

And once again!
This one's much shorter. In the 4th or 5th grade, we were playing a game in gym. I don't remember what it was called, but it involved standing in a circle with a bunch of other people holding hands, and then twisting and entangling everyone's arms and then having another person try to disentangle them. My right arm was apparently attached to a particularly difficult knot, so it was being pulled on quite hard, to the point that I started screaming that the other person stop. They didn't, and my shoulder was dislocated (again, no trip to any doctors for me). My right arm can't bear as much weight now, and I can painlessly dislocate it again at will (and painlessly pop it back in with a loud noise if I do it right). Apparently the connecting tendons are so loose now that just the force of gravity can do this.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-09, 06:17 AM
seguay(sp?)psst - segue

Also...

Childbirth.

<.<
>.>

Maelstrom
2009-12-09, 06:27 AM
Telling the doctors to stop any further life saving measures on my 20 month old daughter who had spent the last 30 days in the PICU with cancer.

In the last two weeks she had slipped into a coma and slowly deteriorated and her heart eventually stopped while my wife and I were there.

Having to watch the doctors open her chest and try to restart her heart was just too much to bear...

Nevrmore
2009-12-09, 06:27 AM
This is not an attempt to gross anyone out, or just to talk about genitalia, this is simply a story of a horribly painful injury that happened in the swimsuit area.

Now I see a few guys have talked about getting kicked/otherwise bludgeoned in the balls. That hurts, no doubt, but it'll go away in an hour or so, assuming there was no serious damage caused. But I know of a far greater pain.

I was in I'd say sixth grade, my friend decided to pretend like he was kneeing me in the testicles. Unfortunately for me, I am incredibly flinchy and I leaned into it, but it wasn't my balls he hit. His knee collided with the head of my penis. Hard. The head almost instantly bruised over. Now, I don't know if any guys have tried to urinate when the tip is completely bruised, but it is like trying to pass fire from Hell itself out through your urethra. I couldn't piss for several days, it just hurt too bad, which had the lovely side effect of horrible intestinal cramps. It was probably the worst week or so I'd ever endured in my life.

In second place was probably the ear infection I got a year or so ago. At times, the throbbing pain was so intense that I started just hitting my forehead on the wall in some sort of misguided attempt to allocate the pain to other parts of my skull. I downed Tylenol like I was a re-lapsing alcoholic with a stolen bottle of whiskey and overly-militant cops on my ass.

Mx.Silver
2009-12-09, 07:08 AM
Physically there's been a few.

I pressed my palm against an iron when I was about 6, thinking the iron was switched off. It wasn't. Lots of screaming ensued.

Fell out a tree when I was 12. The drop to the ground was about 3 metres and probably wouldn't have been all that bad had there not been a wall under the the tree; which my head smashed into on the way down. I still have a rather large scar because of that.

There have been a few others (broken finger, groin shots, getting stabbed with a craft knife and various other burns) but these two stand out as being particularly painful.

I'm not going to go into my emotional experiences, as experience has taught me never to bring them up in conversation.

Toastkart
2009-12-09, 07:20 AM
I can't think of any particularly agonizing experiences off hand. I've had a few accidents, but none of them hurt that badly.

I do, however, suffer from chronic arthritis in both of my knees and my upper and lower back (to a lesser degree) and have for the past ~15 years or so. I'm only 25.

Swordguy
2009-12-09, 07:29 AM
Compound fracture of the right leg from a land mine simulator while on a training exercise (workups to Iraq). The tibila was pulverised from an inch above the ankle to 3" below the knee, where the tib compounded through the skin. The fibula compounded through the skin - both ends of the break. If you've seen the movie The Descent, the chick who gets her leg broken about half-way through had almost exactly the same break I did. Except that was just her tibila, not the fib as well.

Unfortunately, we were in a fairly heavy woods at the time, so couldn't get a BHawk in there to evac me out. We used the heat shields from my rifle as a splint and I had to walk back to the staging area, using my rifle as a crutch (my platoon sergeant friggin hated me, and so wouldn't detail any soldiers to litter me out or help). 3 miles and change. I have no memory of the trek from after the first mile or so, until I woke up on the ambulance floor. The ambulance had hit a major pothole and I fell out of the bed-thingie and snapped the same fibula again (higher up the bone) on a protrusion.

Then I got to the hospital, and its blessed supplies of morphine.

This is why I'm no longer in the military (sweet, sweet tax-free VA disability payments...). 5 surgeries, 6 months of physical therapy, and my lower right leg is almost entirely metal. Airports hate me. :smallannoyed:

Whammydill
2009-12-09, 08:04 AM
When I was 13 I had testicular torsion....twice. The testicle gets twisted and the cord gets cut off. Massive pain...imagine having a vise-grip clenched down on your testicle for hours; or getting kicked in the balls rapid-fire to where the pain from one kick blends into the next and you don't get used to the pain. First time it corrected itself. Happened again two weeks later and I went to the ER where I lay screaming louder than the guy about 3 bays down who got shot. Nothing helped with the pain and it was like 2am so they had to get a urologist in there so that took a while. Took them forever to do everything of course....though when in that much pain seconds are weeks. Eventually they sedated me dunno what took so long. They did a simple surgery to correct the torsion then used something to keep things in place so it didn't happen again....on either testicle.

HellfireLover
2009-12-09, 08:22 AM
Sacroiliac injury. The pain was so bad I couldn't walk and my hips locked.And it made me feel thoroughly sick, so one morning I managed to get in an acceptably painful prone position in front of the porcelain god, threw up, started crying, and then realized I couldn't actually get back onto my feet as I had nothing to let me level myself up with my arms. It took me twenty minutes to get laid down on my stomach and crawl the two meters from my bathroom to the kitchen, whimpering, in order to a) get painkillers and b) get help. (Husband rescued me, eventually. I got such a talking to. :smallfrown:)

Ilena
2009-12-09, 09:01 AM
Well .... lets see .... in this life, I got hit in the head when i was about 6ish with a 20 lb sharp rock, still have the scar from it,

got bucked off my horse more recently 4 times, last time i thought i broke my hip, though my bones seem to be strong and it was just a massive massive bruise, but hurt like hell and i couldnt walk for a week,

other then those two nothing too major,

the last thing is either a past life memory or just my brain being really really really messed up, but either way it feels as real as any memory i have now, but i remember myself being murdered ... basicly on the side of the road, throat slit, a little more but ya ... that one thing is probably the single worst thing for myself,

Talya
2009-12-09, 09:09 AM
Giving birth.

Deadly
2009-12-09, 09:09 AM
Toothaches. Feels exactly as if the teeth are about to explode from too much internal pressure, like they could crack down the middle any moment and fracture into tiny pieces like a grenade. Makes you want to just smash your jaw against something hard repeatedly... or crush it. Luckily a few painkillers have usually done the trick for me, but while it lasts it's a hell and you can't do anything else because the pain is just constant and impossible to ignore.

If only dentists weren't so damned expensive, I could actually get it fixed.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-12-09, 10:24 AM
Giving birth.
Really? I've heard it's not as bad as the movies make it out to be.

Toothaches. Feels exactly as if the teeth are about to explode from too much internal pressure, like they could crack down the middle any moment and fracture into tiny pieces like a grenade. Makes you want to just smash your jaw against something hard repeatedly... or crush it. Luckily a few painkillers have usually done the trick for me, but while it lasts it's a hell and you can't do anything else because the pain is just constant and impossible to ignore.
There are a couple of temporary solutions. One is sex. The other, as I discovered yesterday, was shouting at my car radio at the top of my lungs.

Whammydill
2009-12-09, 10:30 AM

Ironically typical hospital birthing position is about the worst in the myriad of birthing positions. School of Cynicism teaches that hospitals/anesthesiolgists/them/they like you in pain and discomfort because it keeps them in $$$. :smallcool:

This may earn me male jerk-of-the-thread award, but of all the things listed; childbirth is the only thing listed that someones body is designed for. As such should be omitted /hide,cower,dies

Talya
2009-12-09, 10:52 AM

It varies. For me it was (relatively) short, but it certainly was the most intensely painful thing i've experienced. The pain is forgotten quickly afterward.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-09, 11:18 AM
For me, emotional pain hurts more than physical pain. Worst physical pain would probably be tied between:

1. When I was about 12, I was going to a family day at the beach with my mum and younger brother. Dad stayed behind at home, but before I left, he told me "Why are you wearing jeans to the beach?" Like a naive idiot, I took his advice, changed to bermudas, and one hour later, I'm on the beach biting into my wallet while the medics apply antiseptic to my shredded knees(the keloids are still there, which is also why I almost never leave the house in anything higher than mid-calf). Because my brother didn't notice that I'd stopped running, slammed into my back, and sent me skidding knees first across the metal grille in front of the escalator.

2. My younger brother was once again responsible for this one(this time, around age 11-ish). He over-filled the kettle(old metal type that you heat over an open gas-stove). When I went to take it off the fire, it spilled excess boiling water over my (non-existent) treasure trail, both inner thighs, and a fair bit of the upper part of *ahem*. Thankfully, no scars that I could find after it healed. Interestingly, some 9 years later, he would trip over a flare while undergoing training in the army, leaving him with a big burn on his inner thigh.

Edit: Just remembered that I have had migraines where it feels like the head just won't quit cramping, and even pouring nearly scalding hot water from the shower over my scalp didn't help very much.

Re: Childbirth. I've also heard that the supine(face-up, legs spread) position that hospitals are so fond of is the worst position to give birth in. My mother claims that squatting(as though removing something else from somewhere else) is probably the easiest(which, she claims, is also why so many first-time teen mothers who don't realise they're pregnant, possibly through ignorance, wind up giving birth in the bathroom). I've also heard that going on all fours(which is how most animals would give birth in the wild, although, maybe more likely lying 3/4 face down) is also easier. The main reason that hospitals pick supine over prone, I would guess, is because it's easier for them to look inside, in case they need to turn the baby around, or whatever. Also, less strain on the arms/legs compared to going on all fours(but wouldn't you rather have less pain where it actually counts...?:smallyuk:)

Dr. Bath
2009-12-09, 11:44 AM
When I was 13 I had testicular torsion....twice. The testicle gets twisted and the cord gets cut off. Massive pain...imagine having a vise-grip clenched down on your testicle for hours; or getting kicked in the balls rapid-fire to where the pain from one kick blends into the next and you don't get used to the pain. First time it corrected itself. Happened again two weeks later and I went to the ER where I lay screaming louder than the guy about 3 bays down who got shot. Nothing helped with the pain and it was like 2am so they had to get a urologist in there so that took a while. Took them forever to do everything of course....though when in that much pain seconds are weeks. Eventually they sedated me dunno what took so long. They did a simple surgery to correct the torsion then used something to keep things in place so it didn't happen again....on either testicle.

Yeah torsions are pretty bad, luckily for me I was operated on within about half an hour of diagnosis so wasn't in pain for too long. Go NHS! Twice though... :smalleek: I feel for you.

I had something worse though. I can't remember the name of the illness, but basically some of the organs in the gut swell up and get all-up-ins other organs' faces. It's all the pain of apendicitis, with nothing to fix it, so it lasts a week.

ow. That was not fun.

Keshay
2009-12-09, 11:52 AM
Physical: Playing Horseshoes, an opponent totally missed the sandpit, hit the outside of one of the logs surrounding, off of which the horseshoe took an amazing bounce and hit me in the kneecap, which shattered the thing. Unmercifully, I did not lose consciousness, and stayed awake the whole 35 minutes it took to get to the hospital. Kneecap broken in three by blunt force trauma is not a pleasant experience.
Also, getting stung 100+ times by the inhabitants of a wasp nest in the ground. Thankfully I'm not allergic, but damn did that hurt like hell.

Emotionally: Toss up between father dying and preganant girlfriend leaving. Dad dying because the torture continues to this day. Mom became emotionally labile and can't manage to hold herself together. Girlfriend because she disappeared after declining at the last minute to come to my family reunion. Upon returning I find the apartment empty, and a note telling me I'm not the father. Kicker is, I was going to propose while on vacation, had the ring and everything. Neat way to lose a wife and child without ever having had either, isn't it?

Miss Nobody
2009-12-09, 12:39 PM
When I was 6, I broke one of my teeth and had to have it removed. I've been afraid of dentists for many years after that experience.
On the subject of baby teeth, there was one obnoxious molar that used to give me toothaches every night for a couple of weeks before it just fell out.

Also, I fell out of a tree when I was 10. That hurt.
And I tripped and fell on a concrete alley at the age of 11. I still have a scar on my right knee.

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-09, 12:50 PM
I hurniated a disc in my back at L5 S1, in rehab for it and it still hurts a little from time to time. Its by far worst pain I have ever had in my life, even worse then braking my ankle and dilocating my shoulder.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-12-09, 03:41 PM
Heartbreak and walking on a broken shin.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-12-09, 04:11 PM
To everyone who've had to watch a loved on die: I'm sorry to hear it. Hasn't happened to me yet, so I can only imagine.

Personal Update: Today my dentist pulled out my aching tooth. Even with localized anesthetics, I actually felt my tooth and its nerve screaming NOOO as it was ripped out. My gods, I'll never forget to brush twice a day again.

I hurniated a disc in my back at L5 S1, in rehab for it and it still hurts a little from time to time. Its by far worst pain I have ever had in my life, even worse then braking my ankle and dilocating my shoulder.
No kidding, that's the disc my father has sciatica in. I never saw my father in groaning agony until I drove him to the ER for that.

Exeson
2009-12-09, 04:15 PM
Anesthetic not being injected deep enough into my back during an operation. So not feeling any pain and then suddenly *snip! Exeson screams*

Yeah that was not nice.

Winthur
2009-12-09, 04:17 PM
When I woke up in the operating theatre just in time to hear something along the lines of "Nurse? Where's my scalpel?"

Kallisto
2009-12-09, 05:36 PM
I've also heard that the supine(face-up, legs spread) position that hospitals are so fond of is the worst position to give birth in.

I have heard that as well. However, I believe it's the position the least fatiguing for the mother-to-be. I have tried squatting and pushing, and ended up throwing up from the effort. I'm sure having had contractions for 12 solid hours and not having slept in the last 24 hours didn't help. ;)

Worst than childbirth, though, was the milk coming in. I would have gladly given birth a second time, rather than being in that kind of pain for 5 to 6 days. I wasn't breastfeeding, so I could find no comfort in expressing a bit of milk, and in Quebec they don't give medication for preventing the engorgement. It was easily the worst pain I ever experienced. I'm a very lucky woman, all things considered.

Eldariel
2009-12-09, 05:42 PM
Most of the bad hits I've taken have been bad enough to numb my senses. I don't think pain has ever even made me pass out. I mean, displaced thumb is probably the worst thing I've got that actually still caused pain.

Faulty
2009-12-09, 05:43 PM
Maybe a tie between when... I broke my wrist snow boarding and ended up being in so much pain that hours after the break I had trouble eating. Doesn't help that the pain in that wirst flaires at times. Or when I got the flu for 15 straight days and at times was little writhing in pain groaning, gritting my teeth and pulling my hair because I was in so much pain. That sucked.

Elm11
2009-12-09, 07:24 PM
Well, i'm fairly new to this life business, and i'm sure i've got alot of pain coming my way over the next umpting years, but i've had a couple of nasty experiences over the least 14 years.

Two years ago when i was canyoning with my father and some friends of his, i was abseiling down a waterfall, and stepped into a large overhang i didn't know was there. Because of that, i slipped into the overhang, and my second hand (the one you use for practically nothing while abseiling. I use mine as a backup rope control, by placing it on the rope for friction.) was caught between the rockwall i was traversing and the rope. At which point my weight kicked in and i swung into the overhang. Well, most of me did. My finger remained trapped under the rope and was violently flayed by the friction and pressure. The bone was shattered, the muscle spread across the wall and the finger rendered completely useless for a long, long time. it also almost dislocated my whole arm.

Yeah, that one hurt. Alot.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-09, 08:01 PM
probably watching my Grandpa die and knowing there was nothing I could do.

ziratha
2009-12-09, 08:04 PM
Probably all those times I had peritonitis. The first time was god awful, the last time actually wasn't that bad. For those of you who don't know, peritonitis is like appendicitis without your appendix bursting.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-09, 08:08 PM
I have heard that as well. However, I believe it's the position the least fatiguing for the mother-to-be. I have tried squatting and pushing, and ended up throwing up from the effort. I'm sure having had contractions for 12 solid hours and not having slept in the last 24 hours didn't help. ;)

I'm guessing part of that is due to trying not to flatten the child, making the face-down position somewhat uncomfortable to support. So maybe we need "birthing beds"(something similar to a massage table, but inclined) with depressions for the arms/legs and an indented region where the bump goes.

Worst than childbirth, though, was the milk coming in. I would have gladly given birth a second time, rather than being in that kind of pain for 5 to 6 days. I wasn't breastfeeding, so I could find no comfort in expressing a bit of milk, and in Quebec they don't give medication for preventing the engorgement. It was easily the worst pain I ever experienced. I'm a very lucky woman, all things considered.

I think I read something about that in the local Reader's Digest recently. Think maybe the doctors would do better to say "Sometimes, the milk doesn't come immediately," rather than "Don't worry, you'll have milk when you need it." Also, supposedly warm baths will help to relax the ducts and whatnot.

Solaris
2009-12-09, 08:15 PM
Well, I was going to say that time I had that killer migraine from a concussion; but after reading these I think I'll just quit complaining about any pain I have ever again.

I know, right?
I, uh, yeah. My back's about it for pains, and that doesn't even rate compared to a lot of y'all.

Alarra
2009-12-09, 08:34 PM
I didn't find childbirth so bad. The contractions were painful, but they were transient and if you just breathed for a few seconds it was over. And by the time the actual birth occurred, the epidural had done its work nicely and it didn't hurt much at all. Apparently I waited much longer to get mine than most women do. I have a pretty high pain tolerance. But really, because I knew it wouldn't hurt for long and that there was a reason and it would be fixed in a matter of hours, it wasn't so bad.

Worse, much worse really, than childbirth was the pain that I had in my hips for most of the pregnancy, especially the last couple months. (A pain that apparently hasn't gone away entirely as it decided to rear its ugly head on Saturday) Anyway, this pain was awful mainly because it never went away. It would often be tolerable, but for months I would have periods, sometimes days, where every step I took was hell, not to mention the agony that was stairs and our house has a lot of stairs, sitting hurt, laying in bed hurt, turning to try to find a position that didn't hurt would sometimes make me cry. But yeah, sucked. Especially since there wasn't really anything I could do to fix it.

I hurt myself a lot though. I have vague memories of excruciating pain from childhood. When I was learning to ride a bike and didn't know how to brake well and went out of control down a hill to flip over a fence and scrape the side of my face along the sidewalk, for example. Or when I fell hanging upside down from the monkeybars and had to get gravel removed from my head and staples. Or when I was playing catch with a basketball in our basement and my neighbor hit the light fixture and the cover landed on my head, requiring glass to be pulled out of it and more staples.

Oooooh, or when I slipped on grass and smashed my face into a car window breaking my nose, and then two days later when I was sitting on the sidelines of gym class (because my nose was broken and still rather tender and sore, so I shouldn't be playing basketball) and got hit in the face with a basketball, rebreaking it. That sucked a lot.

I've also had migraines where all I could do was curl up in a ball in the dark and whimper. And as for surgeries, because I've never woken up when it is happening, I never really find there's -that- much pain when I wake up. At least, brain surgery seemed relatively easy looking back at it.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-09, 08:35 PM
I broke my arm when I was younger. It hurt alot, but I'd never broken anything before so I had no idea. My mom took a look at it but it wasn't swollen or bruised so she thought it was just sprained. She wanted to take me to the doctor right then, but the Circus was in town that night, so I opted to wait until the next day.

Anyways I ended up with my broken arm in a make shift sling, wincing in pain everytime I moved, for about 24 hours.

Then there was the anestheticless root canal, but that story is less interesting.

Alarra
2009-12-09, 08:37 PM
The third time that I broke my wrist (yes, I'm a klutz) I thought it was just sprained/sore and ended up waiting over a week before it finally bothered me enough to have it looked at.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-09, 08:48 PM
Oh man. I didn't remember it when I was writing my first post, but one of these posts just reminded me of the time I hurt my spine. I think I was eight years old. My sister needed a mattress for something, so I was trying to yank the matress of the top bunk of the bunkbed I slept in. I couldn't lift it up (I was a weak kid and it was a heavy mattress), so I had my feet braced sort of crouched on the corner of the top bunk and was pulling the mattress up with both hands. You can see where this is going. So yeah, eventually it came up, and I went straight down to the floor. I think I landed just with my mid-back, with all my weight on it.

The pain was horrible, but what I remember most vividly was the stun. I couldn't move at all. I couldn't cry out. I could barely open my mouth when I tried. I was struggling to breathe. And no one was around. I don't know how long I lay there; it felt like a few minutes. I slowly regained mobility, until I managed to get onto my stomach and start crawling out of the room, croaking out "Mom! Mom!" as best I could. I could barely move my legs. A short distance down the hall my sister almost ran into me, having been heading to the room to see if she could help me with the mattress. I think I managed to tell her to run and get our mother, which she did. I remember her holding me on my lap crying hysterically for a while, as my mobility slowly came back.

There've been no long-term effects, thank God. The only one I noticed is that my spine at mid-back felt like it curved out more before, and afterwards it felt straighter. In retrospect, that could have been horrible.

EldritchExMachina
2009-12-09, 08:52 PM
Mine would have to be ultimately the fault of ocular rosacea. At the time I didn't know what the crap it was, went to a GP who sent me to an opthamologist (I believe that is how it is spelled). My left eyelid proceeded to swell up and it looked very much as though someone had accosted me in a most terrible manner with a focus solely on the left eye. To say that it was swollen would have been a gross understatement.

Convinced that it was an infection of some manner and seeking some manner of relief, I very stupidly requested that the infection be removed (there was pus aplenty). They obliged, but the anesthesia didn't take (it never takes with me, so this was not wholly unexpected). They proceeded to peel back my swollen eyelid, cut it with a scalpel, and then remove the infection with something that looked very much like a corkscrew (and from the opthamologist's motions, I could tell was used in a very similar fashion). I had screamed in agony only twice before, but this was the worst.

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 10:03 PM
Oh, I just remembered one that I don't actually remember happening (maybe very vaguely, but they're just as likely false memories). You remember how bicycles used to have a metal... thing, platform, flat thing where you put your bag, on the back? When I was very little, my sister put cushions on that, I'd sit on it and we'd go riding around town. Once, at the edge of town, with noone around... my foot went into the spokes. Mangled it pretty good, I think. My sister had to sit there with me and wait until someone walked past and could go find our mum (very small town, ~900 people, and mum was the only doctor there).
Same town, same sister, probably same bike: Going to see the footy, my sister was on her bike racing the rest of the family in the car. There was a point were part of the road went straight ahead, and another part bent around a shed of some sort. Sis was on the straight, we went round the bend, sis thought that was her chance to beat us and started pedalling all-out. I'm not sure what happened, but she went down. Hard. She landed with one arm bent so that the back of her hand scraped along the gravelly dirt, shattering fingernails.
There's more, though: The back of her hand was mauled, full of gravel and with bits of shattered fingernail about. Dr Mum applied anaesthetic, and got to work with tweezers removing rocks and nail. When she was scraping at a finger getting the nail out, it went something like this:
*scrape, scrape, scrape*
"****, I think that's bone."

Ishmael
2009-12-10, 02:03 AM
I'm not even going to go into emotional things. I've had my share, but nothing too traumatic, truthfully.

Physically,well, definitely the accident I had last summer. I got involved in a rock climbing accident and ended up sliding down a 100 ft. rock wall, then off a 15 ft. sheer cliff. Well, ok, that might be the worst emotional agony: looking down the rock while while you're sliding uncontrollably down at a cliff of unknown height, knowing very well you might die. Ugh, that was horrible. Or maybe the worst emotional part was knowing that, in injuring myself, I'd have to leave my summer job--and the the best summer of my life. Nah, facing imminent death trumps it :/.

Anyways, landing was...well, bad. Not as bad as it could have been--in that, well, I'm ALIVE, and not disabled for life. But I shattered my left foot, broke four ribs, four small bones in my back, and collapsed my left lung. No bueno. I was stuck in the hospital for four days, and I was on crutches for three months. Two surgeries thus far. I'm doing physical therapy, but I'm still limping and can't run, hike, or do anything really aside from walk.

Ugh.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-10, 02:18 AM
Really? I've heard it's not as bad as the movies make it out to be.While obviously not well versed in the actual birthing experience, I've been around the delivery room a few times (my daughter, two tours as labor coach for a surrogate mother, Pudding Troll, and GrandTroll right up until it came time for the actual pushing). I can say, honestly, that I feel the cinema often over dramatizes the normal hospital experience as far as the pain thing goes. However, what's often not mentioned in the "OMG IT HURTS SO BAD!" comparison is that the vast majority of deliveries these days are done with the assistance of some pretty hefty pain killers. Think, for a moment, that most women opt for the epidural. This is a nerve blocker placed just above the waist. It's effective enough that, during the actual delivery, mothers usually can't move their own legs. And it still hurts enough to cause involuntary interjections of discomfort (i.e. grunts, groans, moans, screaming, depending on the level of discomfort and the pain threshold). Imagine what the pain must be like to do it sans medicine?

Re: Childbirth. I've also heard that the supine(face-up, legs spread) position that hospitals are so fond of is the worst position to give birth in. My mother claims that squatting(as though removing something else from somewhere else) is probably the easiest(which, she claims, is also why so many first-time teen mothers who don't realise they're pregnant, possibly through ignorance, wind up giving birth in the bathroom). I've also heard that going on all fours(which is how most animals would give birth in the wild, although, maybe more likely lying 3/4 face down) is also easier. Everything I've heard and read from those who would know, including the birthing class we attended in Alarra's 7th month of pregnancy, confirm these assertions.

The main reason that hospitals pick supine over prone, I would guess, is because it's easier for them to look inside, in case they need to turn the baby around, or whatever. Also, less strain on the arms/legs compared to going on all fours(but wouldn't you rather have less pain where it actually counts...?:smallyuk:)Actually, no. The reason you're on your back and immobilized is because, if you go the "gimme the drugs" route, you've got a needle in your spine and you're hooked up to an IV, a fetal heart monitor, a contraction monitor, a urinary catheter, and several other mommy monitors that make it impossible for you to be in any other position for any length of time. The delivery staff would much rather you be in any position that's more comfortable for you and easier for the baby* but the risks are too high, once you opt for medication, to allow you to have the mobility that would require. Think about it, if you have to be relatively immobile for what could be 12 hours or more, is there any other position you can think of that you can maintain for that long (especially without reliable use of your legs)?

*Before she made the decision to get the epidural, Alarra was encouraged to get up and move around, sit in the shower, do whatever she felt would help her with the process. It was only after she got stabbed in the spine that she was told to stay in bed.

Ganurath
2009-12-10, 02:20 AM
Well, it's nothing so severe as childbirth, but I did have a toothpick impaling my left foot for six months.

ninjalemur
2009-12-10, 02:43 AM
Rusty nail in the foot.

Serpentine
2009-12-10, 04:48 AM
Ishmael: You've been doing the same, or a similar, job this year, haven't you? So you healed up alright?

llamamushroom
2009-12-10, 09:46 AM
[...] But really, because I knew it wouldn't hurt for long and that there was a reason and it would be fixed in a matter of hours, it wasn't so bad. [...]

Believe me, that was just the beginning.

Anyway, my worst was an abscess right on top of my tailbone. At first I was wondering why it itched it sit. A few weeks later, I could barely sit (first time round, I wrote "barely stand to sit", but that was just plain confusing). So Mum, in her doctor-ly wisdom, decided that she should get a specialist to look at it, which meant waxing that area. Not fun, but pleasant by comparison. Thankfully, antibiotics worked their magic, so all I have to do is make really sure I don't injure that area at all, or nasty stuff could happen. And I'm very glad I didn't have to have it operated on, as my Dad couldn't sit for months when he had his.

rakkoon
2009-12-10, 10:03 AM
Wow, all I had was a night in which I woke up every 15 minutes to take a drink and swallow. Throat hurt so much that swallowing in my sleep was not an option. All my other throat aches seem minor compared to that one

onthetown
2009-12-10, 10:32 AM
I've had a few. No broken bones yet, but I get myself into trouble a lot.

One day, helping my coach with horseback riding lessons, it was storming really badly outside and making the indoor arena sound just nasty. It was the first time riding for the little girls that I was helping with, so my coach asked me if I could walk by one of the ponies to make them feel safer since the wind was making the girls (and the ponies) nervous. The other pony in the arena suddenly spooked; the one I was walking beside shouldered into me as hard as he could, knocked me over, jumped ON my shoulder, clipped me in the back of the neck, then kicked me to send me flying 10 - 15 feet across the arena to get me out of the way so he could run off with the other pony. The doctor told me if he had aimed his kick a little higher on my neck, I would have been paralyzed or dead. Instead, I got majorly bruised muscles, pulled tendons and ligaments, and the inability to move my head and neck (and basically at all) for a week. No, I don't hate the pony; he used to be my favourite when I was learning to ride, and the poor thing was just scared. My mother does not feel the same way about him.

When I was 10 or so, I was running through my back yard barefoot, and tripped over a broken tree stump that the neighbours hadn't dug out. It tore open the entire bottom of my foot and some of my toes. It took us a week to get the blood stains out of the kitchen floor after I went laughing/crying back to the house (I tend to laugh when I get hurt because of my own stupidity :smallamused: ).

And finally, last year, another horse incident. I was riding my horse around dusk and decided to try some jumping (mistake number 1). He refused the jump the first time because he saw something in the back field... I should have wised up at that point and just switch to something else , but I was determined to get at least one jump in that night (mistake number 2) because he had been behaving really badly over jumps for the past few weeks. Well, I got the jump in the next time around, and a bit more. He spooked and threw himself sideways in the air while rocketing himself over the jump - my horse is a master of kung-fu fighting, apparently - which in turn threw me off of him. I landed on my head and bruised the same damn muscles from when that pony ran me over, plus I got a concussion. I was so weak and shocked by it that I had to pull myself up using the horse, who calmed down as soon as he saw that this wasn't just a little fall, and then he proceeded to lead me down to the stable and to the phone by making me grab onto him and keeping me walking when I would have just stopped. By the time somebody got to the barn they found me curled up on the barn aisle floor, shaking and going into major shock, with my horse standing over me and being snippy to anybody who tried to get to me.

His concern for me afterwards was still greatly undermined by his kung-fu feat of athletics. :smallbiggrin:

Zovc
2009-12-10, 11:02 AM
About five/six years ago, I was racing my friend (on bicycles) down a street. We were coming back to his house from the grocery store, I didn't know we needed to make a turn and I was on the inside of the turn (I was to the right and it was a right turn), and my friend turned past me. His back tire stopped my front tire and I went straight off the bike, face-first into the street. I tore off roughly the bottom right quarter of the skin on my face, one tooth went into my lip, and the three others were flattened 'inwards' (towards my throat). Luckily no teeth came out, and the dentist we got a hold of on short notice was able to snap the teeth back into 'socket'. Surprisingly, the quick treatment led to excellent recovery. I only needed two root canals and have only a few scars on my upper lip. The shots weren't very fun. I didn't really suffer any pain from the incident--likely from the adrenaline--but this was my most gruesome injury. I looked like two-face during the recovery.

I had a blister on the bottom of my foot (right before my heel on the inner side of the arch), and it had been exposed to mud and bare ground, etc. I was somewhat paranoid of it getting infected, so I put some GermX on it... I was writhing in pain on the floor for a few minutes.

Lost Demiurge
2009-12-10, 11:09 AM
Mine would have to be ultimately the fault of ocular rosacea. At the time I didn't know what the crap it was, went to a GP who sent me to an opthamologist (I believe that is how it is spelled). My left eyelid proceeded to swell up and it looked very much as though someone had accosted me in a most terrible manner with a focus solely on the left eye. To say that it was swollen would have been a gross understatement.

Convinced that it was an infection of some manner and seeking some manner of relief, I very stupidly requested that the infection be removed (there was pus aplenty). They obliged, but the anesthesia didn't take (it never takes with me, so this was not wholly unexpected). They proceeded to peel back my swollen eyelid, cut it with a scalpel, and then remove the infection with something that looked very much like a corkscrew (and from the opthamologist's motions, I could tell was used in a very similar fashion). I had screamed in agony only twice before, but this was the worst.

Mm, I've been there too. I don't think mine was Rosacea, but my three of my eyelids DID get infected and formed cysts over the course of two-three years. So they gave me a local and went in.

The local wasn't good enough. OH god...

Worst part? He could only do one eyelid per session. Had to go back two more times.

My wife had her bout with her worst pain to date back in November. Got herself a kidneystone, and the pain was so bad she was vomiting every 20 minutes or so. Couldn't lie down, couldn't sit, couldn't walk, none of those would let her be comfy when it was moving.

Still, it passed in the end.

Ormagoden
2009-12-10, 11:26 AM
I had to watch Eragon in the theaters.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-10, 11:36 AM
Sweet!

Want to trade?

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-10, 11:56 AM
Huh. Just remembered more (true) horror stories. Probably forgot them because of #3:

#1 I was stung by a wasp when I was 10. Swelled up the whole right-side of my face(reminded of this by the "Two face" post above) for the better part of a week, and possibly contributing to the second incisor on that side being partially behind the first(the left side of my upper teeth form a relatively smooth curve. Come to think of it, the right upper teeth are way crooked compared to the left).

#2 During remedial training(military PT for those who fail their tests) a couple years ago, I sprained my left ankle on the second last session while running. I managed to limp all the way to the bus-stop, then from the bus depot to the train station, and then to another bus, and then home, but the next day, I had to tell my boss I couldn't make it in(I'd reassured her the night before that I would be in the next day), as apparently, a good night's sleep tells your body to shut off adrenaline. Between an umbrella, my mother, and my younger brother(both of them smaller than me!), we managed to drag my 70kg(157lb) frame down to the nearest clinic(a mere 100 feet away once we actually got out of the lift to the ground floor). This particular injury is still not fully healed, nearly 20 months later. Coupled with the fact that I'd sprained the right ankle almost exactly a year before that(and then proceeded to give a presentation in class at a private course I was taking at the time, but that time, the pain kicked in some 6 hours later), this led to some really bad walking on my part. Still, I've actually regained proper walking motion, even if my legs pop and crack when I stand or walk(the first few steps I look like a drunk, unless I concentrate on positioning) after prolonged sit-downs.

#3 I slipped and fell in the rain on my first day of reservist training. Doctors in the hospital tell me it was just a back sprain(with a mild cut/bruise on the back of the skull), which I will attribute to the fact that my back muscles were built up from years of carrying heavy books around.

Zovc
2009-12-10, 12:19 PM
Did I mention that my bike accident occurred the day after I got my braces off? AWESOME!

Like I said, my teeth snapped back into place, so they are now back where they were, but that was a pretty low blow as far as 'morale' was concerned.

I still kind of chuckle at the fact that I just sat up from that, saw my friend coming to me, spit some blood out of my mouth off to the side and said, "This sucks."

Ishmael
2009-12-10, 12:57 PM
Ishmael: You've been doing the same, or a similar, job this year, haven't you? So you healed up alright?

Yeah, it was this year. I got injured on 6 July 2009. Oh, I said last summer, didn't I....I meant this summer, I suppose :P. And I'm healing ok, though I'm still in physical therapy, alas...

Ilena
2009-12-10, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it was this year. I got injured on 6 July 2009. Oh, I said last summer, didn't I....I meant this summer, I suppose :P. And I'm healing ok, though I'm still in physical therapy, alas...

well hey for a guy who fell off a mountain your doing pretty dam good :P

FoE
2009-12-10, 01:35 PM
I once got sawed completely in half. The worst part was the hours of sewing that followed.

Kara Kuro
2009-12-10, 01:40 PM
I'm rather accident prone... I've broken quite a few bones in my body (arm, leg, shattered elbow even) and none of those even compared to when I was about seven or eight and had to have Lumbar Puncture, or spinal tap, call it what you will I can all but completely guarantee that it will be the most painful experience of my life.

I'm a bio/biochem double major and I've dissected cadavers and prepared feral pig carcasses for ball-sized catering events, but even now when I watch medical dramas I have to change the channel when they do an LP.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-10, 01:44 PM
I'm rather accident prone... I've broken quite a few bones in my body (arm, leg, shattered elbow even) and none of those even compared to when I was about seven or eight and had to have Lumbar Puncture, or spinal tap, call it what you will I can all but completely guarantee that it will be the most painful experience of my life.

I'm a bio/biochem double major and I've dissected cadavers and prepared feral pig carcasses for ball-sized catering events, but even now when I watch medical dramas I have to change the channel when they do an LP.

My little sister used to have to get those while she had leukemia (ages 2-5). I remember volunteering to take them for her, because I was her older brother, and we didn't understand the way those things worked. I also remember standing outside the room when she got one, hearing her scream in pain, and feeling like someone had stabbed me.

I so hope I never need one of those. >.<

Kara Kuro
2009-12-10, 04:08 PM
My little sister used to have to get those while she had leukemia (ages 2-5). I remember volunteering to take them for her, because I was her older brother, and we didn't understand the way those things worked. I also remember standing outside the room when she got one, hearing her scream in pain, and feeling like someone had stabbed me.

I so hope I never need one of those. >.<

My dad had cancer when I was young and needed a transplant, I was the match. Obviously I wanted to help my dad, but yeah... Yes, they're horrible. Wouldn't wish them on many people.

Gem Flower
2009-12-10, 04:22 PM
Reading this thread... I will never complain about pain, ever again.:smalleek:

Zovc
2009-12-10, 04:29 PM
Reading this thread... I will never complain about pain, ever again.:smalleek:

I try not to. I tend to hold up well in painful/dangerous situations, but I've panicked quite a few times when people close to me start fighting.

Lorn
2009-12-10, 05:30 PM
Too many to list.

Purely pain-wise, a re-enactment spear, from someone who wasn't pulling their blows nearly as much as they should, to the groin comes pretty high on the list. That hurt. A lot.

Then there was last year at about this time. Very, very ill. Confined to my bed for three, four weeks. Couldn't get to the bathroom without assistance, due to the fact that the effort of standing up almost caused me to pass out. Could barely eat or drink. Massive, unending headache/neck pain, which quadrupled every time I moved as much as a finger. I'd sleep about 8 hours every 24, and wake up approximately every 30 minutes literally drenched in freezing sweat. Constant nausea, constant dizziness. Hallucinations. Any dreams I had were incredibly lucid, and they ranged from making out with my closest female friend in a perversion of the cathedral in Durham to literally disembowelling myself due to intense feelings of inadequacy. The latter was so realistic I checked myself for about five, ten minutes when I woke up.
Throughout this, I honestly thought I was going to die.
Oh, and there were people messing around with hammers, steel and wood about five metres below me, that was fun...

I have a habit, however, of just not complaining about things or making a big deal about them unless I literally have no choice. I'm someone who will happily walk around in the snow in a t-shirt or possibly fracture a thumb during re-enactment and continue on regardless.

thubby
2009-12-10, 05:50 PM
the worst was probably tooth drilling with effectively 0 sedation or pain management.

Setra
2009-12-10, 05:55 PM
the worst was probably tooth drilling with effectively 0 sedation or pain management.
When I was 7 or 8 I refused to take Novocaine for my first filling, this may explain my phobia of them.. except I don't recall it being that bad.

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-10, 06:20 PM
I've cracked my head open on the cabinet corner and smashed my face against hard concrete.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-12-10, 06:21 PM
Yeah torsions are pretty bad, luckily for me I was operated on within about half an hour of diagnosis so wasn't in pain for too long.

Well that's lucky for you, my GP misdiagnosed it (thought there was something wrong with my appendix) and it was eighteen months until I got it fixed. It wasn't constant pain for that time, but every couple of weeks one testicle (usually the left one) would get twisted out of position and I'd be completely unable to move for half an hour or so. Finally went to a real hospital, and had the fixing-up surgery a week later.

Runner-up would be dislocating my knee when I was thirteen and putting it back in by myself because there was noone else home. That must have done some long-term damage, because when I was in cold places last year it got very stiff and painful.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-11, 12:50 AM
What a fascinating little thread. I feel compelled to share!

The worst pain I ever experienced was when I ran myself over.

<_<
>_>

Yeah... I used to deliver pizzas. Funny story.

So, my last night on the job, two days before getting on a plane to head back to school, I get out of the car with my last delivery, hot in the bag. That very night, I had received my best tip ever, so I was in high spirits.

I give the lady at the door her pizza, get her signature on the receipt, turn around, and find my car creeping towards me on the driveway. Both myself and the customer lady start freaking out. I didn't know what was going on, and instead of doing the smart thing and getting inside the car and slamming on the break, I tried to stop the car with my own super-human (read: non-existent) strength.

The car bumped into the corner of this poor bewildered person's house, stopping. Except it never actually touched the house. My lower right leg was between the house and the bumper.

The car stopped, I hopped inside and put it in park, and realized what went wrong: I had never put the car in park in the first place, and it had slowly creeped up the driveway as I was giving the lady her pizza. It picked up considerable speed.

I apologized to the lady, and then the adrenaline wore off, and I almost blacked out from the pain. I collapsed to the driveway, and in a half-conscious daze called the pizza shop and told them I'd been in an accident (with myself). Then, I called my parents, and asked for them to take me to the emergency room. I didn't know whether my leg was broke or not, but I was nearly blind with horrid pain. Oh, the memories...

After one of the longest car rides in my life, my leg propped up in the back seat, myself crying like an infant, we got to the hospital and they did an X-ray. Fortunately, nothing was broken, but I had a wicked contusion. I flew back to school on crutches, to a gaggle of very confused friends.

I'm also a very slow healer. They told me I would be off the crutches in two weeks: I was on those damn crutches for two months. Taking trams, hobbling to class, grinding my teeth to the constant dull throbbing ache of my blasted leg, which had swollen to the size of a grapefruit. What a wretched semester that was. My armpits were chaffed raw by the crutches, and my feeble arms ached too. Once, I hobbled to a distant class halfway across campus, only to find a note on the door informing that the class had been canceled. I collapsed on the grass outside the building, utterly defeated. Many people stopped to ask if I was okay, to which I responded "don't worry about it."

So yeah. That's easily the worst pain I've ever experienced. I've handled dental shots, getting my blood drawn repeatedly, horrid intestinal distress, all sorts of things like a champ. But running myself over was the worst thing ever. Myself vs. an internal combustion engine = lose.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-11, 01:34 AM
This thread is reminding me of people I know who seem to feel no pain at all. Like my 11 year old cousin, who, when he was younger, used pliers to rip his teeth out when he first heard about the tooth fairy (he wanted the money :smalltongue:).

Or my uncle, who ran his legs over with a tractor, breaking one, and then crawled back to his stick-shift truck and drove to my house (about a mile, on back roads) so that I could drive him to the emergency room. He looked at his legs in a very detatched manner, and never once complained about them hurting, just kept poking them to make sure the one was broken. >.<

I'm curious what their tales for this thread would be.

Ichneumon
2009-12-11, 01:44 AM
...used pliers to rip his teeth out...

That's horrific.

God, can't get the mental image out of my head...

Solaris
2009-12-11, 01:48 AM
But running myself over was the worst thing ever.

There is something awesome about that line.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-11, 02:08 AM
That's horrific.

God, can't get the mental image out of my head...

Mmm. Actually, I worry about this sometimes. Is it possible to not feel things like pain? The kid's a bit of a monster, as far as that goes. I remember when he was younger (like, 2-3), where he wouldn't cry if he got injured until after someone started fussing over him and making sure he was ok. In fact, my first memory of him is him jumping headfirst into a wall, falling down, and hopping up like nothing had happened. >.<

He doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, either. Which...will probably eventually lead to (more) trouble with the law. He's the only kid I've ever known to have stolen from stores at age 5 and broken into a house at age 11. >.<

Setra
2009-12-11, 02:53 AM
Mmm. Actually, I worry about this sometimes. Is it possible to not feel things like pain? The kid's a bit of a monster, as far as that goes. I remember when he was younger (like, 2-3), where he wouldn't cry if he got injured until after someone started fussing over him and making sure he was ok. In fact, my first memory of him is him jumping headfirst into a wall, falling down, and hopping up like nothing had happened. >.<

He doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, either. Which...will probably eventually lead to (more) trouble with the law. He's the only kid I've ever known to have stolen from stores at age 5 and broken into a house at age 11. >.<
I've heard of cases where children don't feel pain, and in general it's a very bad things as they do horrific things to themselves without realizing how bad that is supposed to be.

Pain exists for a reason, though I still don't think we should have nerves in our teeth >.<

Munsi
2009-12-11, 03:10 AM
in february of this very year i broke my foot in two places with three weeks before i went for rehearsals for a musical i'd been hired to perform. i could either quit the gig and have my plans for the next nine months cancelled, or tape the foot and man it out.

i chose the latter. doing choriography on a broken foot, night after night with only one day off to recover from the week is the worst thing ever, i thought i was going to die some of the nights.

Serpentine
2009-12-11, 04:58 AM
Yeah, it was this year. I got injured on 6 July 2009. Oh, I said last summer, didn't I....I meant this summer, I suppose :P. And I'm healing ok, though I'm still in physical therapy, alas...Aww. I know you were having so much fun with that, too :smallfrown: Will you be able to go back to it when you recover?
Is it possible to not feel things like pain?There's leprosy, but that's very localised as I understand it.
Weird :smallconfused: :smalleek:

onthetown
2009-12-11, 06:50 AM
Is it possible to not feel things like pain?

There's actually a very specific, rare nerve disease. Normally, when you feel pain, the impulse of pain will travel up to the brain and the brain will then recognize it, and that's how you feel it. With congenital analgia, the impulse never reaches your brain, so you don't recognize that you've been hurt. Stabbing yourself would just be a normal touch.

It's one of the rarest diseases in the world, though. Kids usually show symptoms of it when they're much younger because they bite their finger nails right off without getting the pain that tells them to stop, or bite their lips to shreds, or whatever.

Gotta love medical courses. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2009-12-11, 06:58 AM
^: What's their life expectancy like? ...I imagine it makes it rather easy for the males to render themselves incapable of reproducing normally at the very least.

Hmm. I went off of my pain killers when I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth cut out of my head, this being about two or three days afterwards and my then-girlfriend had pounced on me and was really, really, um... sexually pushy while I was drugged and recovering, so basically my entire body was sore and slightly injured from the stresses it had undergone while partially bedridden and not being able to tell that it was positioned badly due to the meds. This in addition to the fact that I really shouldn't have gone off of the meds because I took another pill as soon as the pain began to build up rather quickly and luckily so because I collapsed and lost a bit of time for the 30-40 minutes it took the medication to numb me up again due to the pain making it that hard to think.

The most intense pain that I have been more or less cognizant for would have to have been my slightly botched ingrown toenail surgery, where my toe started to stop being numb about a quarter of the way in, while things were being chopped up and I had to have some tool or another left in there until the second needle of anesthetic, which hurt worse than the first somehow, had worked its magic.

Again though, I think the pain was bad enough that I couldn't bring myself to fully concentrate on it and really appreciate it, y'know?

Dogmantra
2009-12-11, 07:06 AM
Well, it's certainly not as spectacular as running myself over, but it was still really painful. I managed to knock my own tooth out playing rugby. Well, that's sort of a lie, but I did a terrible tackle in a training session, and my chin somehow collided with the person I was tackling's shoulder. Pop. Out flew my tooth. That actually didn't hurt at all, it was just shock that made it bad. I was quickly driven to the school's medical centre, where they pushed it back into the gum. Without any sort of anaesthetic. They must've caught a nerve on the way down, because it hurt so much, and tears started streaming down my face like nobody's business. Then I got a little splint put on at the dentist which made me lisp for a while, but that didn't hurt at all.

The punchline is that I never enjoyed rugby, in fact, I hated it and that was one day that I thought I should at least try in that session. Oh, and the other punchline is that when I was picking my tooth up from the floor, someone else told me afterwards that at first, they saw me picking something white up and thought I was picking a daisy.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-11, 07:26 AM
There's actually a very specific, rare nerve disease. Normally, when you feel pain, the impulse of pain will travel up to the brain and the brain will then recognize it, and that's how you feel it. With congenital analgia, the impulse never reaches your brain, so you don't recognize that you've been hurt. Stabbing yourself would just be a normal touch.

It's one of the rarest diseases in the world, though. Kids usually show symptoms of it when they're much younger because they bite their finger nails right off without getting the pain that tells them to stop, or bite their lips to shreds, or whatever.

Gotta love medical courses. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm. Maybe? I dunno.

Or perhaps he simply doesn't care about pain? My aunt adopted him when he was 2, but he was already a bit of a thug in the orphanage...I dunno.

It just seems very strange to me.

potatocubed
2009-12-11, 07:45 AM

Further to the earlier answer, there is a condition called 'pain asymbolia' (thanks Wikipedia!) which lets people feel pain but remain unconcerned about it. This usually follows some sort of brain injury, though.

Additionally, even otherwise normal people have different emotional responses to the sensation of physical pain. Some people have hysterics over the tiniest scratch. Some people show up in casualty with all their fingers broken and 'degloved' - a term for where the skin has come loose from your hand and can be taken off like a glove - and say calm as you like "I've had a bit of an accident..." (Farming machinery + hand in the wrong place = squish.)

Phaedra
2009-12-11, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised by all the people on here going "Ah, I have migraines, but they're not as bad as other stuff". Migraines are pretty damn bad. They're definitely the worst agony I've ever experienced. All I could do was lie in a dark, silent room for a day (or more) and wish I was dead. My head felt like it was going to explode and any movement made me throw up. Which was, of course, movement, which added to the pain. They're pretty damned agonising.

I've not had one since I was 16, thankfully. I get a lot of bad headaches, but nothing on the scale of the migraines I used to get.

Player_Zero
2009-12-11, 08:07 AM
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now action it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Alpha Centauri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo) quotes aside, hmm... I stubbed my toe once, that was pretty bad. I almost said a bad word and everything.

Eh. Pain doesn't hurt very much.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-11, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised by all the people on here going "Ah, I have migraines, but they're not as bad as other stuff". Migraines are pretty damn bad. They're definitely the worst agony I've ever experienced. All I could do was lie in a dark, silent room for a day (or more) and wish I was dead. My head felt like it was going to explode and any movement made me throw up. Which was, of course, movement, which added to the pain. They're pretty damned agonising.

I've not had one since I was 16, thankfully. I get a lot of bad headaches, but nothing on the scale of the migraines I used to get.

I agree. I equate them with power tools.

What I think of as "migranes" are headaches that I would describe as long, thin drills applied to the backs of my eye sockets, as well and an excruciating pulling or tightening sensation along my jaw and cheekbones, as though screws were being tightened into my skull.

Ilena
2009-12-11, 08:45 AM
Ya Migraines are bad, thankfully ive only had one minor one, or just a really really really really bad headache, but i had to put my head down for about half an hour while it went away slowly, never had to do that for a headache before or sense. The most annoying pain is when my eyes burn, but that really cant be helped much, then theres the constant general pain, as in both knees and my right elbow currently hurt, no idea why, but they do. Yay for constant state of ignorable pain! But ya ive not really had as bad as some people here ...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-11, 08:52 AM
Probably that time when I was sitting in the car.

With a hole in my head above my left eye, from a rock bigger then my head/I couldn't lift it with two hands) landing on my head.
The blood seeped inside my eye and was just terrible.
And then the noises started a migraine.

And I wasn't on painkillers at the time.

So yes this, at that moment, except throw up, scream in pain.

onthetown
2009-12-11, 09:07 AM
^: What's their life expectancy like?

If it's not diagnosed, they end up hurting themselves without realizing it and can get into some pretty bad situations, not to mention you don't know that you have to prevent it. Imagine rushing your two-year-old to the hospital because he gnawed his fingernails down to the skin and beyond, and ended up with gangrene or something. If it isn't diagnosed for a long, long time, you've got a teenager doing stupid things to impress his/her friends and ending up killing themselves because the stupid things don't cause their body to hurt and make them stop.

If it's diagnosed, you can take measures to prevent it, but it's uncurable... I've heard of one or two people with it actually exploiting it like a circus sideshow or something. Doing "amazing" feats that would send a normal person into agony. I have a feeling they knew just how far they could push themselves, though, since they had been living with it for ages.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-11, 01:28 PM
Mmm. Actually, I worry about this sometimes. Is it possible to not feel things like pain? The kid's a bit of a monster, as far as that goes. I remember when he was younger (like, 2-3), where he wouldn't cry if he got injured until after someone started fussing over him and making sure he was ok.

Actually, that's my mother's current philosophy on child-care. Don't fuss over the kid the moment he loses his footing. In fact, with my (female) cousin, we used to laugh whenever she ran head-first into the coffee table. She would join in about 2 seconds later. That's how you "toughen" kids up, people.:smallamused: In all seriousness, parents should allow kids to injure themselves, as long as it's nothing permanent. There's a reason young children can regenerate even full fingers, vs just the tips, for adults.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 02:14 PM

I find that kids are very prone to not realizing things hurt. I never remember getting sore from doing strenuous activities as a kid, for example.

This one time, my dad caught me climbing up the house (a brick wall) as a kid, putting my fingers in the cracks to get a grip. I don't remember my fingers hurting, but they should have.

Also, simply relaxing (or at the very least, not panicking) makes any amount of pain tremendously more tolerable. I've heard (second hand) that a woman didn't think birth was a big deal at all the first time, but she got stressed out the second time and thought it was like hell.

blackfox
2009-12-11, 09:30 PM
"I've had a bit of an accident..."Ah man, that would be me. >.> I always underestimate the severity of my injury if I'm just going off pain. Always. Thus, 5 broken bones, all at different times, and one emergency room visit. And I was six then. :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2009-12-11, 09:36 PM
well i sliced the side of my hand (not palm but not back) from wrist to begining thumb knuckle. no pain, went to the boss, got a ride to the hospital. Doc went in with a swab (giant q-tip) and iodine, no pain. would not stop bleeding, we tied up my arm, squezed the vein up higher, i was pretty chilled out, blood pressure wasn't pushing past, they just couldn't cut off the flow. still no pain.

Enter the electronic cauterizer. This thing looks like a pen with a two pronged tip, no ink, just electricity. so this thing zaps me directly on the vein with enough electricity that the vein burns shut. Pain.

Here's the thing, i watched the stiches go in. The doctor didn't like me, i was talking to him, telling bad jokes to the nurse, and i was wearing a band shirt for the band Bad Religon, the shirt had a cross in a red circle with a slash across it, kinda like those street signs that tell you not to turn somewhere, except with a cross. What can i say, it was a band shirt. All in all he was showing my wound, via bad stitches, that he did not approve of me. That didn't hurt.

If you ever have a doctor say "electronic cauterizer" just have them take the limb off and go from there, it'll be less painfull.

Serpentine
2009-12-11, 11:34 PM
Actually, that's my mother's current philosophy on child-care. Don't fuss over the kid the moment he loses his footing. In fact, with my (female) cousin, we used to laugh whenever she ran head-first into the coffee table. She would join in about 2 seconds later. That's how you "toughen" kids up, people.:smallamused: In all seriousness, parents should allow kids to injure themselves, as long as it's nothing permanent. There's a reason young children can regenerate even full fingers, vs just the tips, for adults.My sister laughed at my nephew whenever he did something. You see mothers racing up and fussing over their little sweethearts searching for the barest scratch, and causing the kids to cry and freak out because they think holy crap something must be wrong, I must be really hurt!... It's the
*thump*
-seconds of silence-
wwwwaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
That you've really gotta worry about.

Extra_Crispy
2009-12-12, 03:29 AM
When I was younger, 10 I think, we were moving and my father picked up a box that had a smaller like 8lb fire extinguisher on it. The fire extinguisher rolled off right onto my foot. It did not hurt at first and I actually remember thinking it was rather funny as I saw my pinky toe nail go flying through the air. Few seconds later the pain hit.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, the top ones were "impacted" in the bone. So the young, new doctor, spent 30 min searching and scraping around to finally say "I cant see them I am going to get someone else to look" The novacain wore off, and they even ran out of nitrus oxide. This older doctor came in scrapped around for a while and pulled the right tooth, painful but not too bad, some of the novacain was still working. Got to the left tooth and had to search for a while, novacain completely gone, proceded to grab what felt like bone and with a series of twists and very loud crunches of bone cracking pulled the tooth. VERY Painfull. All I remember is popping the codeine they gave me immediatly and passing out in my chair at home.

One of the last surgeries I had for my burns I woke up being wheeled from surgery to recovery. I dont remember it, dont remember the pain or the whole situation. The nurse told me later that I went beserk. I kicked the metal rail on the bed so hard I broke it, I had plastic things on my legs so I did not hurt my foot. It took a nurse on each leg, one on each arm, and one to start giving me drugs. She said that they gave me 10mg moriphine (a fairly high dose) which stopped me for a few seconds, I then threw them all off and was still beserk. Repeat 3 more times and 40mg of moriphine later I was finally calm but not out, I told the nurses jokes and such in the recovery room.

Again towards the end of my burn care I built up such a tolerance to moriphine (see above) that it completely stopped working for me. So even though they would give me like 20-30 mg of moriphine before the 2 times a day bandage changes I would get no pain relief. Now just imagine them peeling off bandages that have been sitting on the wound for about 12 hours and have become part of the scab. They have to tear these off and I had no pain killers. Then they finally gave me a different pain medication, pills, dont remember what they were but they gave me like 2 or 3 times the usual dose and with those I finally had pain relief.

Serpentine
2009-12-12, 03:34 AM
What about getting the burns themselves, if you don't mind my asking, NicelyToasted?

Extra_Crispy
2009-12-12, 03:47 AM
No Extra Crispy :smallbiggrin:

They probably hurt alot but I dont remember the actuall burning. 140000 volts caused all the 3rd degree burns and knocked me out so I dont remember it. My parents tell me that when they saw me at the hospital I told them my neck hurt and I thought I had whiplash, that was the only thinng that hurt. I have deep 2nd to 3rd degree burns on my neck. Probably the shock made it so I did not hurt much.

Serpentine
2009-12-12, 03:51 AM
Hrm. It's been so long since I talked to you about it, must've gotten mixed up... I thought you got burned in a car accident or something. Fire as opposed to electricity, sorta thing... But I do have a mind like a broken seive.
Scars?

Extra_Crispy
2009-12-12, 04:19 AM
Ya it was a car accident. Hit an electrical pole backwards, powerline fell and ignighted the gas from the crushed gas tank. I got out of the car to get into the arc field of the power line. The 3rd degree was caused by the electric arcs while the 2nd was from the fire.

As for scars, I could write a book. As about 40% was 3rd degree, over all burns was about 70% I have massive scars all over. And some scars from donor sites, and faseotomies (spelling way off, basically where they slice you open to relieve pressure from fluid build up. If they dont the pressure cuts off circulation and kills the tissue)

Serpentine
2009-12-12, 04:23 AM
Thaaat's the one. Missed you, Your Crispiness :smallbiggrin:

Extra_Crispy
2009-12-12, 04:29 AM
How could you miss me I am a 6'4" 260lb bald guy with scars all over :smallwink: (luckly none on my face) Crispiness has a nice ring to it though. :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2009-12-12, 04:41 AM
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now action it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Alpha Centauri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo) quotes aside, hmm... I stubbed my toe once, that was pretty bad. I almost said a bad word and everything.

Eh. Pain doesn't hurt very much.

You reminded me of a game I wanted to buy. Thanks.

X2
2009-12-13, 09:29 AM
Watching Star Trek 1...

Amiel
2009-12-13, 09:36 AM
Not me personally, but this looks awfully painful and agonising.

Warning: do not click the spoiler if you have aversion to real medical phenomenon

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16136_1304996870015_1383317344_875438_7390806_n.jp g

Setra
2009-12-13, 10:54 AM

Warning: do not click the spoiler if you have aversion to real medical phenomenon

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16136_1304996870015_1383317344_875438_7390806_n.jp g
I feel sick to my stomach, and I used to watch people getting operated on while eating spaghetti! (( My mother watched hospital shows when I was a kid ))

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-13, 01:11 PM

Pardoning the rather rude manner in which I am phrasing this, but rather than just spoilering a picture and saying "This looks painful.", it would have helped if you'd said "Click here(inserting a link) to see a picture of 'X'(where 'X' is 'flesh-eating bacteria' or 'thumb skinned off to the bone')." As is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing.:smallyuk: Also, linking to pictures takes up less bandwidth than spoilering them(the page will still make a request to the image host if you spoiler it, whereas it will call up the image host only when you click the link).

Spamnation!
2009-12-13, 01:18 PM
Fell asleep once....
little cousin thought it would be funny to hit me with a paintball gun,
shot went wide and hit me in the crotch...
scared of paintballs ever since.

Amiel
2009-12-14, 01:27 AM
I feel sick to my stomach, and I used to watch people getting operated on while eating spaghetti! (( My mother watched hospital shows when I was a kid ))
Yeah, I found out that I wasn't cut out to be a doctor the hard way :(.

Pardoning the rather rude manner in which I am phrasing this, but rather than just spoilering a picture and saying "This looks painful.", it would have helped if you'd said "Click here(inserting a link) to see a picture of 'X'(where 'X' is 'flesh-eating bacteria' or 'thumb skinned off to the bone')." As is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing.:smallyuk: Also, linking to pictures takes up less bandwidth than spoilering them(the page will still make a request to the image host if you spoiler it, whereas it will call up the image host only when you click the link).

Or you know, you could've not clicked the spoiler. That's the easiest and by far the most logical and simplest thing to do. Not only was there warning attached with a big do not click sign, it was bolded and phrased in no uncertain terms. Secondly, it should definitely not be prefaced with a 'click here for' sign, that's worse. Thirdly, you're in the worst agony thread, if the content therein is disagreeable to you, do not enter here, it's as simple as that.

The image shows the conclusion to a bite by the white-tailed spider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_spider), however, the main indicator of that should be swelling; necrosis would've been caused by something else.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 01:37 AM

That's...so awesome. :smallbiggrin: Sorry. Not to be smiling at your pain, but seriously. That wound is so cool!

Amiel
2009-12-14, 01:40 AM
That's alright, it didn't happen to me; and it does look...funky (would probably not be the best word to describe it).

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-14, 11:44 AM
Amiel: I meant, if you'd done it like:

"This is an image of someone's hand bitten by a white-tailed spider (http://theimage'surl).", that would give us some idea of what to expect(and whether to click on it), and save the bandwidth of the poor sod hosting the image. Also, I pity the poor fellows who didn't want to click it, but found the image while checking their cache. Just my 2 cp, but I came from a generation where etiquette dictates that posting a link to an image is generally preferrable and more polite than posting the image itself.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-15, 01:49 AM
I, on the other hand, prefer the spoilered image. It doesn't require me to open a new tab or browser window in order to see it. I don't notice any difference in load time. The image itself is only about the size of 2-3 average avatars anyway, of which I load up to 30 on any given page I read (let's not even get started with the YOU thread). As for the host's bandwidth, I'm not positive, but I think that links back to Facebook (it's either that or some other photo hosting site) so I doubt that bandwidth is of large concern to them.

As for accidentally finding it in your cache, who regularly goes through their cache looking at images? I'm an IT for almost ten years and I don't find myself perusing my cache for any reason whatsoever. I purge it regularly, but never browse it.

Furthermore, judging by the fact that the mods/admins regularly post spoilered images, I don't think this breaches any etiquette in the eyes of most viewers or of this forum. (As an aside, as someone who's been "online" since the late 90's, I've not noticed this as being a matter of netiquette for several years.)

Temotei
2009-12-15, 01:51 AM
I, on the other hand, prefer the spoilered image. It doesn't require me to open a new tab or browser window in order to see it. I don't notice any difference in load time. The image itself is only about the size of 2-3 average avatars anyway, of which I load up to 30 on any given page I read (let's not even get started with the YOU thread). As for the host's bandwidth, I'm not positive, but I think that links back to Facebook (it's either that or some other photo hosting site) so I doubt that bandwidth is of large concern to them.

As for accidentally finding it in your cache, who regularly goes through their cache looking at images? I'm an IT for almost ten years and I don't find myself perusing my cache for any reason whatsoever. I purge it regularly, but never browse it.

Furthermore, judging by the fact that the mods/admins regularly post spoilered images, I don't think this breaches any etiquette in the eyes of most viewers or of this forum. (As an aside, as someone who's been "online" since the late 90's, I've not noticed this as being a matter of netiquette for several years.)

Well said.

psilontech
2009-12-17, 09:48 PM
I've broken bones, I've had my hand ripped open and been bit in the... ahem, groin area by a dog, I've had concussions and at least one near-fatal illness.

All of this paled in comparison to when my girlfriend of a year broke up with me.
Still haven't fully recovered.

Danin
2009-12-18, 04:18 AM
Emotional pain is... well, something different. I had to watch as my best friend died of cancer, but that's not something people can understand until they've been in the situation. That said, I have some good* physical pain ones.

*Good being a term used when looking (far) back on the situation and not having to ever feel it again.

I was part way through getting a tooth removed and I'm allergic to general and most local anesthetics, so I was doing it with just minor local freezing. Part way through, an emergency comes in and the dentist has to leave for about an hour. When he came back, the freezing had worn off, but due to my allergy he couldn't give me any more. Since the nerve was exposed, he couldn't rightly leave it, so I told him to finish it and just used a stress ball. Not one of my brighter moments.

I had an infection on the back of my neck that needed to be removed very suddenly. In the emergency room, because of the aforementioned allergy, they couldn't give me anesthetic. They ended up having to cut into my neck a lot farther than they initially hoped. They carved something the size of a d20 out of my neck about half an inch deep. THAT was unpleasant.

After a surgery that didn't go well (They accidentally cut my artery and didn't notice. Had a second surgery.) I was in some pain. Not being entirely in my right mind from the pain, when they gave me percoset (sp?) and assured me that it wasn't in the same family as what I was allergic to I happily agreed. After taking twice my recommended dose, I went home happy as an exceptionally high clam. It was about 40 minutes later that I found out that I am, in fact, allergic to it. I just don't get a regular happy reaction where I can't breath. About 1 in a hundred thousand people have a wacky reaction to narcotics and mine was a heart attack. Not the cardiac arrest part that kills you, just the pain and unpleasantness of it. While it could have been worse I'm really glad it wasn't. The ambulance got lost on it's way to my house and found me on the ground nearly a half hour later.

I once slammed my fingers in a steel rimmed oak door, smashing off 4 of my finger nails.

Had a nail go 4/5 of the way through my foot.

All in all, I'd say I've had a good run. Not much to do but look back on the situation and have a laugh or two.

Felixaar
2009-12-18, 05:38 AM
Well, when I was a kiddle, I was bit by my cousins dog. As I remember it I wound up with a cracked skull, but I was probably exaggerating. I also once split hot cooking oil on my hand. Also, whilst messing around with a pair of poi, I managed to nail myself in the testicles with both at the same time.

So, nothing MAJOR. I've never broken any bones, though I have broken my nose (and you can tell if you look close) from a soccerball to the face. Oh, and I was also hit with a tennis racket once. All these things, to me, seem to be mediocre levels of pain.

Which is a shame, really, because I'm trying to describe in our novel what it's like to be stabbed through the stomach. I'd probably give it a shot myself just for some perspective if it didn't have decidedly fatal outcomes.

Authors: We'd mutilate ourselves just to remember that word we're thinking of.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-18, 10:52 AM
Also, whilst messing around with a pair of poi, I managed to nail myself in the testicles with both at the same time.

I had to look at the gender icon and the avatar again, just to be sure, after reading that line.:smalltongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2009-12-18, 12:31 PM
I'm torn between my Girlfriends stories about what she went through, almost breaking the optical bones in my face and seeing someone who I seriously looked up to betray every principle he'd imparted on me.

Don't make me choose :smallfrown:

Tyndmyr
2009-12-18, 03:43 PM
Lit myself on fire, via an accidental detonator discharge in a heap of rocket engines. The blast/fire took out a chunk of the deck, and gave me a rather goodly amount of second and third degree burns. Also, burnt hair smells terrible.

Ive done many painful things, but fire hurts the worst.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-18, 05:23 PM
I got shot in the leg once

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-18, 08:07 PM
Lit myself on fire, via an accidental detonator discharge in a heap of rocket engines. The blast/fire took out a chunk of the deck, and gave me a rather goodly amount of second and third degree burns. Also, burnt hair smells terrible.

Ive done many painful things, but fire hurts the worst.

...you work with rocket engines? O_o

*hugs*

Felixaar
2009-12-19, 03:06 AM
I had to look at the gender icon and the avatar again, just to be sure, after reading that line.:smalltongue:

They're still there :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2009-12-19, 03:29 AM
Probably not as bad as some of the others here, but a friend of mine stepped on my foot when I'd had an ingrown toenail that had been infected for over two years.

Oh, and closed a sliding van door on my fingers and didn't notice until I I started to walk away only to get stopped short.

Kumori
2009-12-19, 03:47 AM
The worst agony I've ever had was a really bad case of Diarrhea. It was worse than it sounds. My poop was a very acidic liquid, and I do mean very acidic. It ate through the toilet paper like it was nothing and even went so far as to irritate the skin on my hand: I had a rash on my hand from wiping my butt because it was that acidic. Just imagine what my butt felt like....

rubakhin
2009-12-19, 03:48 AM
If you ever find yourself thinking, "Hey! Why don't I inject __ into __ ?", don't ever do whatever it is you are thinking about.

Unless it's like "Jesus into my life" or something.

In my case, it was not.

Serpentine
2009-12-19, 03:50 AM
Heh. As soon as I saw that Rubakhin had posted in here, I thought "uh-oh. Everyone's stories are about to get swamped". I was only slightly disappointed :smalltongue:
Good to see you again!

Recaiden
2009-12-19, 03:52 AM
Heh. As soon as I saw that Rubakhin had posted in here, I thought "uh-oh. Everyone's stories are about to get swamped". I was only slightly disappointed :smalltongue:
Good to see you again!

Exactly what I thought, but said a bit quicker. Ow.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-19, 12:19 PM
They're still there :smallbiggrin:

Well, duh. It's just that even though I don't post here as much as a few years ago, I still recognised your avatar as Dragonrider's, so the mention of guy-bits led to a brief moment of "disconnect", where I had to do multiple checks in order to make sense of it.

Zanaril
2009-12-19, 02:47 PM
When I was 7 or 8 I refused to take Novocaine for my first filling, this may explain my phobia of them.. except I don't recall it being that bad.

I didn't have when I needed a tooth filled either (they offered it, or rather prepared to give it to me until I asked if it was necessary), and it didn't really hurt either. The current constant twinges from my wisdom teeth are worse. :smalltongue:

Maybe I'm just not accident-prone, but I can't remember anything being that painful. I sprained my ankle a while back and almost blacked out, but then again I sometimes get dizzy if I stand up too quickly; I was more concerned about finding somewhere to sit down incase I fell over. I frequently stub my toes without feeling anything.

Trixie
2009-12-21, 07:29 PM
Huh. What would it be...?

I had three teeth removed, at once ~12 years ago. No analgesics, normal teeth. Plus a few more, but earlier, milk ones, and one at a time - these eventually regrow.

Huh, soviet-style medicare can hurt you! Pain means it heals! :smallyuk:

That was a long time ago, though. I've had tonsils removed, too, with weak painkillers (or one that began to worn off). That was back in my childchood, though, and I sort of forgot what the pain used to be, only burning sensation in my throat afterwards.

A few operations, but these had proper anesthesia. Huh. I remember pinching myself (strongly) a few times to check what is going on the first time I had that. That was bad idea - once it wore off, pinched place hurt more than the wound :smallsigh:

Strangely, a few things I expected to hurt hurt barely, if at all. I had a nail pushed through my hand, knee slashed with a sharp tile, face cut with a plastic sword (don't ask). Huh. Little pain, children are durable.

When I look back at all this, I'd pay a small fortune for all these treatments in the US, but I think I'd collect far higher insurance compensations for accidents (~200$, all told, for all the above in total). Plus, I'd sue the swimming pool for the tile. Huh. Maybe I'd be healthier now (a few returning issues). Or not. Or I'd be penniless, in huge debts to banks/hospitals. I wonder if mine was a good outcome? :smallconfused: