PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Items

Mythestopheles
2009-12-08, 11:29 PM
Is there any way to make Alchemical Items a viable attack method? It seems pretty interesting to me, have a character who goes around throwing Alchemical stuff at people. Maybe a homebrew someone made? I'm not skilled enough at homebrew to attempt it myself.

Thanks

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-08, 11:37 PM
Is there any way to make Achemical Items a viable attack method? It seems pretty interesting to me, have a character who goes around throwing Achemical stuff at people. Maybe a homebrew someone made? I'm not skilled enough at homebrew to attempt it myself.

Thanks

I think most alchemical items count for sneak attack, and you could always put an explosive rune on the bottle as well (I'm AFB atm so I'm not sure if breaking the bottle will trigger the rune. I think it will)

Sinon
2009-12-08, 11:49 PM
You can get SA (3.5) as long as the alchemical item does damage (no tanglefoot bags) and requires an attack roll (so a direct hit with alchemist's fire, but not the splash or ongoing damage.)

Zeta Kai
2009-12-08, 11:52 PM
Achemical? Like, without the use of chemicals? Isn't that just magic? :smalltongue:

Temotei
2009-12-08, 11:59 PM
It would be kind of funny to have explosive runes cast on a bottle of acid or something and suddenly it explodes when an adversary reads them and then acid spills all over them for additional damage.

Another idea is just a nice little spell after you give it to them, or set it near the enemy. Like magic missile. Little monster is sitting there while you take a few steps back and cast magic missile to blow open the alchemist's fire.

Just an idea.

And yeah...achemical? :smallamused:

Leon
2009-12-09, 12:21 AM
See if you can track down the Combat Alchemist from the Iron Kingdoms setting (No Quarter #20)

It has a selection of "spells" that it can turn into unstable concoctions to affect a foe aswell being able to produce normal alchemical items .
Alchemy in IK is much much better than in Core

Mystic Muse
2009-12-09, 12:23 AM
Achemical? Like, without the use of chemicals? Isn't that just magic? :smalltongue:

DARN YOU! you got to the joke before me.:smallannoyed:

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-09, 12:30 AM
Alchemy in IK is much much better than in Core

If I may ask, how so? :smallconfused:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-09, 01:27 AM
Personally, I houserule alchemical items as follows:

The Djinn's Alchemy Lab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75871)

It gives them a little more bang for your buck. :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 01:45 AM
Is there any way to make Achemical Items a viable attack method? It seems pretty interesting to me, have a character who goes around throwing Achemical stuff at people.
Perhaps you're thinking of alchemical, not achemical, as Zeta Kai pointed out. "A-" is a Greek prefix meaning "without". "Al-" is an Arabic prefix meaning "the".

The following quote applies to me, here:
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

(Dagnab holiday carpet cleaning sales call rushed me into sending this when I wasn't finished putting the pieces together. Hope this makes more sense.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-09, 01:48 AM
Perhaps you're thinking of achemical, not alchemical. "A-" is a Greek prefix meaning "without". "Al-" is an Arabic prefix meaning "the".

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark TwainThat is perhaps the worst use of a Samuel Clemens quote I've seen in, oh, 15 minutes, at least.

Sliver
2009-12-09, 01:52 AM
Achemical? Like, without the use of chemicals?Perhaps you're thinking of achemical, not alchemical. "A-" is a Greek prefix meaning "without". "Al-" is an Arabic prefix meaning "the".

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Uhh.. He.. Did think of Achemical, it says so, exactly like it says in the title of the thread..

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 02:12 AM
Uhh.. He.. Did think of Achemical, it says so, exactly like it says in the title of the thread..
Yeah, I know. Got interrupted by a stupid sales call when I was putting that last post together, and posted it before it made any sense whatsoever. I wanted to be sure I attributed the first pickup of the name goof correctly, so I grabbed that quote (of course, all I really needed was poster's name). And then I hit "Submit Reply" on the way to grab the phone before quoting the OP.

Leon
2009-12-09, 10:09 AM
If I may ask, how so? :smallconfused:

Core Alchemy gets very little in the way of options, is basically limited to a small selection of damage/debuff and that about it - splat books expand upon it somewhat.

IK has quite a broad array of alchemical options including non magic and magic healing capabilities, wider range of damage/Debuff options. In addition to having the base class and a nice selection of feats that boost alchemical production.

Example: Core DnD will let you make a flask of acid (1d6)
In IK you can make a flask of Acid (damage depending on what type you make - some are better vs somethings, some are for Etching and some of healing)

Also there is plenty of Alchemical Creations that don't require the maker to have magical knowledge, which is not something that can be done in Core.

Is there any way to make Achemical Items a viable attack method? It seems pretty interesting to me, have a character who goes around throwing Achemical stuff at people. Maybe a homebrew someone made? I'm not skilled enough at homebrew to attempt it myself.

Thanks

Aside IK related things, there is a PrC in a Ebberon book that is passable for alchemy and i think Ebberon also has some new alchemical items, a couple of Feats in PHB2 including a tactical feat called Mad Alchemist

Sliver
2009-12-09, 10:23 AM
Did you check out Alchemy & Herbalists (http://dragonwing.net/Alchemy.htm)?

bosssmiley
2009-12-09, 10:39 AM
Google "Flask Rogue build".

Because by RAW you can sneak attack with thrown alchemicals. :smallwink:

Zom B
2009-12-09, 10:52 AM
I created the Heretical Scholar class as part of an ultra-low-magic campaign. It might work for you.

http://drop.io/HrSPrClass

Mythestopheles
2009-12-09, 11:27 AM
Whoops :smallredface:, Yeah I meant Alchemical. Thanks for clearing that up.

So basically I want to make a character who uses alchemical items, and can still be on par with the other characters, (By on par I mean Tier 3-4 by the way)

Asgardian
2009-12-09, 01:04 PM
Alchemical Weapon Capsules from CA (i think)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=4
I glommed this description from somewhere

Using an alchemical weapon capsule requires only a swift action if it is held in a properly attached weapon capsule holder (see below). Otherwise, applying an alchemical weapon capsule is the equivalent of applying a magic oil. The most common method of applying an alchemical weapon capsule is the weapon capsule retainer. This long leather thong, wrapped around a melee or thrown weapon just at the base of the blade or striking surface, holds a thin, fitted ring sized for a single alchemical capsule. Another, more expensive option is the triple weapon capsule retainer, which stores three capsules rather than only one. A character wielding a weapon with a triple retainer can use one, two, or all three capsules held as part of the same action.

Emmerask
2009-12-09, 01:49 PM
Its in complete adventurer and I love them :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 02:04 PM
I found this link (http://adamsouza.tripod.com/alchemy.html) for D&D 3.5 alchemy. Lot of good stuff there.

Zaq
2009-12-09, 02:35 PM
I don't have any real suggestions on the large scale (it's quite tricky without getting into third party or homebrew), but I love Blister Oil from Races of Stone. It's cheap, effective, and relatively unique, but it's very easy to overlook. It's quite worth it, though.

Also, there's some weird alchemical stuff in the Planar Handbook. (Atramen Oil is just so, so wrong...)

On the whole, I don't have much to add (I can't think of any classes or feats which really help, unless you count the Alchemist Savant, which is firmly on the magic side of the matter), but you should at least check Races of Stone and the Planar Handbook for a few alchemical toys.

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 02:59 PM
Sneak attack is the way to go as they are touch attacks... made against a flatfooted opponent, you only need to hit AC 10, not that hard... In addition Str is not that important allowing you to dump more into Dex and Int...

Alchemist Fire, catches people on fire... While only 1d6 damage a turn this is an extra 1d6 damage that requires no actions...

A quick aside: People who catch on fire, usually do not like being on fire... I would people spend the actions to not be on fire... this is just a fluff ruling...

Acid unlike Fire is harder to resist... there are also feats in the complete warrior PHB II called Grenadier and Mad Alchemist which can enhance the effectiveness of Alchemic weapons...

Mythestopheles
2009-12-09, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone, let's see what I can come up with.

Zom B: I quite like your homebrew, It's the kind of thing I'm looking for. A char who specialized in Alchemical (I didn't misspell it, yay.:smallannoyed:) Items.

Sliver: I couldn't access the link, is it broken?

Leon: Iron Kingdoms is a different setting... then again, I could easily add the alchemical aspects in. Do you have a link to the Alchemy portion?
Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Thanks

Mythestopheles
2009-12-09, 10:12 PM
Ok, so now I'm considering converting the Combat Alchemist (http://www.davidrm.com/rpg/ikwiki/doku.php?id=combat_alchemist) out of IK. The only main differences being grenades and blast powder, this shouldn't be too difficult. Regardless, any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.