PDA

View Full Version : Physics to DnD

Crel
2009-12-08, 11:39 PM
Hey, me and my friends like to add physics laws to DnD to see how they effect our minimaxing or what something would do outside game mechanics. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of a formula to take dice of damage to Newtons of force. So far I've been using simple gravitational force equations because I wasn't sure how to measure the damage of a fireball, for example. Was wondering if you had any ideas of what I could do to get closer results, or if you've ever tried this to pull off insanity. So far we've broken lightspeed with a pig.

No, we don't actually use these in serious games; that's just nonsense.

Stabber1010
2009-12-08, 11:40 PM
I really, really, don't advise doing that.

Our physics /=/ dnd physics. Especially once you believe that space is vaccum, since you can create infinite falling damage.

Wings of Peace
2009-12-08, 11:58 PM
I advise you read this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of?num=10&pg=1).

Gralamin
2009-12-09, 12:01 AM
I believe somewhere in the 3.5 DMG, it actually states that "Unless otherwise noted, the D&D world follows Real world physics". Heck if I know where exactly it is though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-09, 12:36 AM
I can think of half a dozen ways to break the laws of thermodynamics in core. Or to make Perpetual Motion Machines. Not to mention things like fall speed, the commoner railgun and similar, and the travesty that is the Plane of Water. Don't do it, this will not end well.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-12-09, 01:37 AM
I sign the motion saying that this is a bad idea.

Realism is a fetish in gaming. Rules and the story you give those rules are abstractions for creating the illusion of realism and nothing more.

To give a strong example:
There's more to damage than just how much force gets put into a blow. It factors in things like whether or not that sword pierced one of your lungs or just gave you a flesh wound. Fall damage varies precisely because you may land on your head instead of on your ass. Not to mention that heroes have a certain . . . karma about them that makes them plucky and generally quick on their feet.

Basically damage and hit points simplify all those things.

Trying to model the laws of physics like this were some kind of forensic analysis of ballistics is just a waste of time.

Trying to break the game using physics is likewise a decadent exercise. Besides anybody here can tell you that you can break the game with the rules as written.