PDA

View Full Version : Its a TRAP!!!

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 12:10 AM
Roll a Reflex save...

I was wondering if there was an upgraded version of the boobytraps presented in the DMG II... I will be playing a Kabold with the Races of the Dragon web enhancement...

I am thinking Rogue or Ranger with the Trapfinding alternative class feature...

Ormagoden
2009-12-09, 12:11 AM
What is a kabold? :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2009-12-09, 12:23 AM
What is a kabold? :smallwink:
A roasted kobold on a stick! *ba-Dom-TISH!*

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 12:28 AM
... silly hands... I said KOBALD... I guess eating a burger does not help...

Temotei
2009-12-09, 12:30 AM

:smallbiggrin: Kobald.

sambo.
2009-12-09, 12:32 AM
you mean......

Kebabold!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-09, 12:34 AM
Kobald reminds me of Cobalt.
It also reminds me of Quillbolt (http://www.cardexplorers.gr/primgs/QuillboltHedgehogTDGS_EN_C_1E_jpg_1f4370dcb17707a4 8edd3352cf59ea5c.jpg).

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 12:39 AM
A roasted kobold on a stick! *ba-Dom-TISH!*

Hopefully that is not what I will end up playing...

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 12:41 AM
Funny how mixing the O and A because your not paying attention can garner this much response...

Temotei
2009-12-09, 12:42 AM
Hopefully that is not what I will end up playing...

DM: "Alright. Your characters are starving..."
You: "Can a roasted kobold be starving?"
DM: "What?"
You: "Yeah. I'm playing a shishkebab kobold."
DM: "..."

root9125
2009-12-09, 12:45 AM
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7351/admiralackbar2jl1.jpg

Starscream
2009-12-09, 12:47 AM
Enjoy playing your kabobble.

Asbestos
2009-12-09, 01:02 AM
Kobald reminds me of Cobalt.
Not that surprising.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cobalt

Etymology: German Kobalt, alteration of Kobold, literally, goblin, from Middle High German kobolt; from its occurrence in silver ore, believed to be due to goblins

Seriously, Cobalt might as well be called Goblinanium.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-09, 01:04 AM
Seriously, Cobalt might as well be called Goblinanium.

... Best... Element... Ever. Wait, can you send a Goblinanium elemental at someone?

Starscream
2009-12-09, 01:10 AM
... Best... Element... Ever. Wait, can you send a Goblinanium elemental at someone?

Noe THERE'S Something Redcloak should summon.

infinitypanda
2009-12-09, 01:14 AM
Funny how mixing the O and A because you're not paying attention can garner this much response...

There's no "a" in "kobold."

Sliver
2009-12-09, 01:16 AM
Are there any survivors in this train wreck? no? Maybe in the next one..

chiasaur11
2009-12-09, 01:21 AM
There's no "a" in "kobold."

Or "I". There is, however, an I in goblin. This is why they aren't team players.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-09, 01:28 AM

But... ALL kobolds are bald! They're reptiles! /silly

I don't know about any other trapmaking resources for certain. I think Dungeonscape might have some stuff, though.

Magnor Criol
2009-12-09, 01:31 AM
I love this thread. :D

OP, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Are you looking for traps, or are you looking for Trapfinding-related builds? Are you wanting to make traps or beat them?

Kosjsjach
2009-12-09, 01:39 AM
Are you wanting to make traps or beat them?

Or both? I built myself a Desert Kobold Factotum 5/ Trapsmith X (both classes from Dungeonscape) once. A neat little exploit (that I didn't end up using for my build) was the feat Tactile Trapsmith from Complete Adventurer: it make your Disable Device and Search skills key off Dex instead of Int... except the Factotum ability Brains Over Brawn lets you add your Int to your Dex- and Str-based checks. :smalltongue: Essentially you'd be able to add both your Dex and Int mods to those checks (not to mention the possibility for Inspiration boosts).

Another_Poet
2009-12-09, 02:40 AM
http://carnell.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/derailed-train.jpg

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-09, 03:15 AM
Hmm... Here's a thought. What would the price and CR be of a hunter's bear trap? Heck, how would hunting traps work in D&D anyways? low damage but instant grapple? :smallconfused:

Temotei
2009-12-09, 03:20 AM
Hmm... Here's a thought. What would the price and CR be of a hunter's bear trap? Heck, how would hunting traps work in D&D anyways? low damage but instant grapple? :smallconfused:

There would have to be a Reflex save. If the being fails on their saving throw, and they don't move any more, they're allowed to try and disarm the trap with their foot/appendage still on the trap's trigger. And then there's those darn rope-based traps that have nets beneath people's feet.

Duke of URL
2009-12-09, 08:00 AM
Or "I". There is, however, an I in goblin. This is why they aren't team players.

There's no "I" in "team". However, there is an "M" and an "E".

Another_Poet
2009-12-09, 12:19 PM

If it's actually being used for hunting, I wouldn't bother with a CR. You buy it for a few gold pieces, make a very difficult Survival roll to figure out a route commonly taken by a bear in the region, place your trap and check it each week. The result of the survival roll influences the % likelihood of an injured bear when you checl your trap. The bear is injured (missing 1/4 hp) and immobile but can still fight (only one leg is clamped, and it still has its mouth). Hopefully you are smart enough to kill it with ranged attacks before approaching. Also, hopefully it is not smart enough to play dead until you approach. The bear's CR (and thus XP) is halved the first time you do this, and thereafter you do not get any XP for finishing off a trapped bear.

On the other hand if you want to use a bear trap against enemies, I would give the trap a mechanical location trigger, a +10 attack roll vs AC, 1d8 piercing damage, and a free grapple attempt +10 if it successfully hits its target. Alternately the target must make a DC 15 reflex save or be held immobile by the trap. Manual reset. CR 2.

Draz74
2009-12-09, 12:35 PM
If you want a trap-focused character, in addition to the Trapsmith in Dungeonscape, make sure to look at the Combat Trapsmith in Complete Scoundrel.

chiasaur11
2009-12-09, 01:31 PM
There's no "I" in "team". However, there is an "M" and an "E".

And there's no M or E in Goblin. QED.

Sliver
2009-12-09, 01:37 PM
And there's no M or E in Goblin. QED.

But there is "I"..

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 02:00 PM
Because I was playing a bald kobold (often pronounced as kabold or kobald around my table, hence the misspelling) I wanted to be true to the fluff and use traps and brains to conquerer my enemies...

I like Trapsmith and will PRC into it... What I was going for with the original post is...

The traps in the SRD are great for static locations but literally take days to set up, thus making them useless on the go. The DMG 2 shows us "booby traps", just small little traps that can be made in a few rounds with a penalty or in about a minute. I was wondering if there was anything that expanded on these traps or are booby traps and whatever I can build using the prohibitively expensive guidelines in the DMG...

Trapsmith helps buy making its own traps that advance with levels... anything else?