PDA

View Full Version : queries about Scrying

Kol Korran
2009-12-09, 03:18 AM
in regards to the spell Scrying... can it be done one someone's deceased body? what about if it was turn to an undead? the spell specifies a person, i was wodnering about these "borderline" cases.

also, can you scry on an object with the spell?

jmbrown
2009-12-09, 03:22 AM
Scrying targets a creature, not a person. Undead is a type of creature.

As for the dead body thing, that's a good question as I've never had to personally encounter it before. A body has no will save so is therefor technically an unattended, nonmagical object which scrying doesn't target.

But RAW doesn't always make sense so people just handwave that scrying also works on dead "creatures."

Temotei
2009-12-09, 03:24 AM
in regards to the spell Scrying... can it be done one someone's deceased body? what about if it was turn to an undead? the spell specifies a person, i was wodnering about these "borderline" cases.

also, can you scry on an object with the spell?

It doesn't work on objects, since the spell says it works on creatures. It might work on animated objects, though.

I'm sure it would work on a deceased person's body...they just wouldn't be allowed a Will save.

I'm pretty sure it works on undead, too, because the spell says creature, not person. Anyways, even if it was person, you'd only have to decide whether or not an undead person was still a person.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-09, 08:42 AM
I'm sure it would work on a deceased person's body...they just wouldn't be allowed a Will save.

Why's that? Corpses are objects in D&D.

In my games, killing someone is a great way to stop them from being scryed on.