PDA

View Full Version : Parrying build? (ToB)

2xMachina
2009-12-09, 06:16 AM
I can't seem to find any parrying builds around.

Been reading on the dandwiki, and saw a feat: Riposte v2 (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Riposte_v2_(3.5e_Feat)). Can't seem to find it outside it though, so I think it might be homebrew.

If the feat works, it'll be fun to have a TWF Warblade, who parries, then riposte for AoO (and using the class feature that adds Int to AoO). There's also a maneuver (counter) that gives AoO in return for a AoO I think. Would be fun to provoke a AoO to parry/riposte, then AoO them back. If it doesn't, is there a way to get AoO on parry? The original riposte only gives AoA on misses (and says nothing on parry).

BTW, about White Raven Tactics... Wouldn't having 2 warblades who can do it bypass the ruling that you can't do it on yourself?

A>B>A>B>A... for each Ini until Ini=1

Draz74
2009-12-09, 01:59 PM
I can't seem to find any parrying builds around.
That's because parrying, like this Riposte feat, is homebrew. And thus, I have no real suggestions about how to base a build on it ...

Note, however, that there are a few ToB maneuvers -- most notably Wall of Blades (Iron Heart 2) -- that simulate parrying, and do it pretty well.

BTW, about White Raven Tactics... Wouldn't having 2 warblades who can do it bypass the ruling that you can't do it on yourself?

A>B>A>B>A... for each Ini until Ini=1

Yes, they could WRT each other. No, they couldn't use that to swap turns back and forth and back and forth forever, because they only get one swift action per turn, and after using WRT they can't use it again without recovering their maneuvers.

quiet1mi
2009-12-09, 02:34 PM
There is Melee Evasion which functions like a parry... D20 + BAB becomes your touch Ac or your AC...

In a swashbuckling campaign, where armor impacts your ability to swim. Melee Evasion sounds good.... It would be better if it let you add your attack bonus... I could see that as a homebrew feat with melee evasion as a perquisite that does specifically that...

Mongoose87
2009-12-09, 02:56 PM
That's because parrying, like this Riposte feat, is homebrew. And thus, I have no real suggestions about how to base a build on it ...

Note, however, that there are a few ToB maneuvers -- most notably Wall of Blades (Iron Heart 2) -- that simulate parrying, and do it pretty well.

Yes, they could WRT each other. No, they couldn't use that to swap turns back and forth and back and forth forever, because they only get one swift action per turn, and after using WRT they can't use it again without recovering their maneuvers.

Two Ruby Knight Vindicators, on the other hand...

Draz74
2009-12-09, 03:07 PM
Two Ruby Knight Vindicators, on the other hand...

Even then, unless you are basing RKV on Warblade (which is not the usual entry to RKV), it wouldn't work, since Crusader manevuers aren't recovered via swift action.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-09, 03:16 PM
though not nessasarily parrying you could do a counter esc build

Some of the setting sun and some others that are pritty decent... could be a fun build.
especialy if you get roblars gambit or karmic strike which ever one lets you AoO if they swing at you.

Douglas
2009-12-09, 03:21 PM
Even then, unless you are basing RKV on Warblade (which is not the usual entry to RKV), it wouldn't work, since Crusader manevuers aren't recovered via swift action.
Unless, of course, you use the other big RKV ability to recover a maneuver with a swift action and a turn attempt. Even a Swordsage based RKV could do it if he could manage to get into the class and learn White Raven Tactics, which I'm pretty sure is possible with a few feats.

Draz74
2009-12-09, 03:25 PM
Unless, of course, you use the other big RKV ability to recover a maneuver with a swift action and a turn attempt.

Ah, I forgot about that one.

Probably because I consider RKV broken, and if one of my players asks for it, I'll nerf it or say no anyway ...