PDA

View Full Version : Poison making

BobVosh
2009-12-09, 07:44 AM
I have a player who made a character to mess around with some poisons. I'm sure he is starting to get annoyed that the poisons have only worked once in 5 levels. If he isn't that is kind of weird.

Anyway to the point of this post: What tricks and tips are there for making poisons that have a high DC and reasonable effects. Currently level 12, and I will allow him to retcon feats. He just got a large quantity of money (20k). So most options should be open.

Items he has currently: +8 circumstance bonus alchemical kit.
A sheath that he can put a dose of poison in. Anytime he draws a weapon from it the weapon is coated in poison.

Also: what are the rules for poisons on a blade? How long do they last? 1 hit, etc?

kamikasei
2009-12-09, 07:57 AM
I'm sure others with rules knowledge greater than I can point you toward poisons from this or that sourcebook that would provide higher than normal returns on investment in terms of DC and lethality for their cost to craft. However, I would offer a more general view: don't bother trying to make effective poisons with the existing rules, just houserule it. Especially if the character is heavily poison-focused. 3.5 poisons are crap, and you're better off coming up with a system that works for your game than shoehorning your goals in to a system that doesn't support them.

Also (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison):

A poisoned weapon or object retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched (unless the poison is wiped off before a target comes in contact with it). Any poison smeared on an object or exposed to the elements in any way remains potent until it is touched or used.

Put a poison on a weapon, and it lasts until the weapon scores a hit after which it's gone, unless you wipe it off first.

Sliver
2009-12-09, 08:57 AM
There is that book that could interest you.. Poisoncraft (http://www.bluedevilgames.com/poisoncraft_main.htm) It has all kinds of charts for making your own poison, for how much damage, for how long or what kind of condition it will create.. It has feats and special PrCs also.. Metapoison feats.. hehe

BobVosh
2009-12-10, 12:13 AM
Put a poison on a weapon, and it lasts until the weapon scores a hit after which it's gone, unless you wipe it off first.

That's what I thought.

There is that book that could interest you.. Poisoncraft (http://www.bluedevilgames.com/poisoncraft_main.htm) It has all kinds of charts for making your own poison, for how much damage, for how long or what kind of condition it will create.. It has feats and special PrCs also.. Metapoison feats.. hehe

Metapoison feats? O.o How do those work?

Sliver
2009-12-10, 01:17 AM
Metapoison feats? O.o How do those work?

Well, those are feats that allow you to change existing poisons, either at the creation process or even before using it. You roll Craft (poisonmaking) with a DC of what you needed to make the poison +X and stuff happen. Bless poison (apply poison to undead), Degenerating poison (works on oozes now too!) or stuff like delaying the poison effect, disguising the poison, making it harder to neutralize (like needing double casting of neutralize poison) and so on.. Yes, there is maximize, empower, quicken and extend too.. Ohh it affects plants too..