PDA

View Full Version : makeing a poltergeist

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-09, 09:04 AM
I want to play a telekinetic/possesing ghost in an upcoming game. Our party objective is to bring down this LG totalitarian nation. My plan was to function as an accident based assassin and ruin holy men's reputations by possesing them.

-How would I optimize telekineses/possesion?
-How would everyone else use such a character to cause unrest and destabilize a region?
-Can a ghost use telekinesis while possessing?

15th level, ghost is LA +5, so 10 class levels. 30 point buy. standard starting cash.

Cyclocone
2009-12-09, 09:16 AM
Master of the Unseen Hand from Complete Warrior.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-09, 11:32 AM
ya, i know about that one but i still need to get skill ranks from somthing leading up to that. Whats good to put a few levels into?

Optimystik
2009-12-09, 11:37 AM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) only has 4 LA, and its racial levels and psion levels stack.

EDIT: It's also not undead, so the "holy men" will have a much harder time dealing with you.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-09, 11:43 AM
Is it just a psionic ghost thats not undead?

Do they also get telekinesis at-will as a Su ability?

Edit: i can't get to the SRD at work :smallfrown:

erikun
2009-12-09, 11:48 AM
The Unbodied can use Telekinetic Force at will, which is very similar to Telekinesis. (It's basically the psionic version of the spell.) It is an incorporeal monsterous humanoid, effectively a floating phantom brain, so is not undead. It has 4 racial hit dice, but manifests as a 4th level psion (meaning you can add the RHD to your psion levels for powers known, but it doesn't stack with any other classes).

Ecalsneerg
2009-12-09, 11:50 AM
Yep, that's pretty much what it is. It does have 4 HD and +4 LA, but it manifests as a 4th level telepath, so it's really only the LA if you planned to go psion anyway.

Optimystik
2009-12-09, 11:52 AM
Yes, and yes. Telekinetic Force at will (Su), Assume likeness at will (Su), cannot be identified as a psionic creature, permanently Incorporeal. Monstrous Humanoid instead of undead, so you can't be turned.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-09, 11:56 AM
I really hadn't planned on going full caster since we have one in the group any way.

I know theres better builds (necropolitan 15wiz for example) than a telekinesis one but i find telekinesis entertaining.

note: we're required to be undead for the campaign.

edit: can't do thrust with telekinetic force can you? i thought the telekinesis spell was split into 3 powers for psionics.

erikun
2009-12-09, 12:04 PM
You're right, Telekinetic Thrust is a seperate power. (3rd level power, so an Unbodied Telepath 1 could know it) I don't recall if Master of the Unseen Hand requires Thrust or just Force, though, if you're going that route.

Also note that a simple Protection from Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm) spell will prevent possession, or more accurately, will prevent you from doing anything while possessing someone. Trying to possess an actual Cleric will be very risky, so you might want to go after lower clergy members, or high-ranking members of society to undermine the church.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-09, 01:16 PM
MotUH requires Telekinesis, not thrust or force, but is focuses on combat manuvers and thrusts. Getting MotUH as a psion doesn't really work without a few mechanical changes to either the class features or to the the psionic version of telekinesis (making it one power).

Also yes i would be stupid to think i could just grab the high priests body and run with it. Although i did get my DM to approve the item possesion rules from BoVD so i can "hide" through a protection spell.

Cyclocone
2009-12-10, 08:04 AM
If you need some extra levels, check out the Dungeon Crasher Fighter ACF from Dungeonscape (it gets Grandmastery of Throwing Fools into Walls).

While you're at it, you could check out the Suel Lich (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf) (p.34), it's got the whole posession thing too, while also being an Evil, Evil lich.

Also, Fiend of Posession (FF; free preview here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030411a)) is (somewhat obviously) tailor-made for posession, although qualifying might be tough.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-10, 09:26 AM
I think i looked at the fiend of possesion and it wasn't really fantastic (class abilities wise).

Dungeoncrasher variant is in Dungeonscape i assume and will buff my hurling folks into walls ability? sounds win.

What do you guys think of Hexblade? Gives the skills to get into MotUH, Mettle and Cha to saves agains magic, lots of durability right there. Also can get a familiar, not that huge but i can get Lifebond with it and get +4 turn resist (and somthing else i can't recall) when it's around.