PDA

View Full Version : snow day itp

Jacklu
2009-12-09, 10:01 AM
Jacklu awoke this fine morning to find that the nor'easter scheduled to sweep through my home state had indeed delivered, and in spades. And thus did the first snow storm of the season hit and college classes were canceled. And there was much rejoicing. Yay. Huzzah. But wait, there's more! Today was the last day of scheduled classes to boot! So, with the exception of a single paper due emailed by Monday, Jacklu is officially done with college for the semester!

SO,

Are there any other snowbound posters out there today? Or maybe just entertaining tales of (in)conveniently timed snow storms?

Ilena
2009-12-09, 10:03 AM
According to reports friday saterday sunday are supposed to be snow days, which sucks because horse training is saterday and i am not driving a trailer in snow

Starscream
2009-12-09, 10:05 AM
The bad news: I'm currently in Florida, and we get no snow.

The good news: I graduated college 6 month ago, so I don't care about snow days anyway.

Enjoy shoveling!:smallcool:

Nameless
2009-12-09, 10:05 AM
*pokes sky*

Nope, no so for Nameless. .-.

Ilena
2009-12-09, 10:06 AM
The bad news: I'm currently in Florida, and we get no snow.

The good news: I graduated college 6 month ago, so I don't care about snow days anyway.

Enjoy shoveling!:smallcool:

Eh, its why we keep men around :P

Nameless
2009-12-09, 10:09 AM
Eh, its why we keep men around :P

Yeah, you just hurry up and make our dinner. And don't forget the tea, I like mine with two sugars.

What? If you can enjoy casual sexism, so can I. :smalltongue:

Who
2009-12-09, 10:13 AM
We hardly ever get any over here in Blighty.:smallfrown:

Zar Peter
2009-12-09, 10:14 AM
Thank godness we didn't get any till now because I didn't change the tires yet. Looks like work on weekend, though.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-09, 10:15 AM
We just got about 3 inches of cold, wet, heavy snow. Not enough to do anything but make for an oh-so-enjoyable morning of shovelling the driveway and following behind people in traffic who's idea of careful driving on freshly plowed roads is driving 30 mph under the speed limit and jamming on the brakes when something so much as implies it might be coming out into traffic...

...yeah, you can keep your snow.:smalltongue:

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 10:16 AM
Well here in Wisconsin we got dumped on. Now the wind is picking up and temps are headed towards negatives (with wind chill). Not a bad day to stay inside.

SMEE
2009-12-09, 10:16 AM
What's this snow thing you guys and girls are talking about? :smallconfused:

Ilena
2009-12-09, 10:17 AM
Yeah, you just hurry up and make our dinner. And don't forget the tea, I like mine with two sugars.

What? If you can enjoy casual sexism, so can I. :smalltongue:

No, no you cant, its my right, says so right here, look here this card, no no not that one this one! oh crap there it goes on the wind ...... hmmm well your just going to have to believe me :P of course i did mean it with humor.

And SMEE your just going to have to come up here and see it for yourself, though i hear eastward in alberta and such its about - 20 - -40ish area at the moment :P

Assassin89
2009-12-09, 10:22 AM
Well here in Wisconsin we got dumped on. Now the wind is picking up and temps are headed towards negatives (with wind chill). Not a bad day to stay inside.

I'm in the same area, but I'm still going to class regardless of the weather.

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 10:23 AM
Ouch, I'm in the western part and everything is shut down. Even the colleges.

Jacklu
2009-12-09, 10:24 AM
Jacklu doesn't mind shoveling at all. Good excessive and what not. That, and it is good fun with mah puppy. =3 ^_^ He likes us to bury him. =P If Jacklu was in charge of the weather, it would start snowing around here at the beginning of November.

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 10:26 AM
It's fun to shovel until it's -1 with windchill at 9:30 am. And it's supposed to get colder.

Ilena
2009-12-09, 10:28 AM
It's fun to shovel until it's -18 with windchill at 3:30 pm. And it's supposed to get colder.

corrected for you :P had to work at the barn for about 3 hours in that temp, though i was not prepared for the weather as the day before it was -5 ... and jeans do not make good cloths for cold windy weather :S

Gullara
2009-12-09, 10:29 AM
It has to be -40 degees C (with wind chill) for use to get school off, so its safe to say it usually only happens a couple times. Although a couple years back we got a whole week off of school, that was great.

Nameless
2009-12-09, 10:30 AM
Jacklu doesn't mind shoveling at all. Good excessive and what not. That, and it is good fun with mah puppy. =3 ^_^ He likes us to bury him. =P If Jacklu was in charge of the weather, it would start snowing around here at the beginning of November.

I don't have a doggie, however my kittie likes the snow.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/Mixed-2006-2007068-1.jpg

KuReshtin
2009-12-09, 10:30 AM
I'm sooo jealous of you guys that have snow.
I love snow. I want snow. Now!

Worst 'snowstorm' we've had here in my area of Scotland in the past 10 years, we got about 5 inches overnight, and that created complete chaos around here. People weren't ready for it. Some shops stayed closed, others were open, but closed early so that people wouldn't have to drive in the snow with limited/no daylight.

Me? I loved it. I was the only one that made it in to work on time (well, about 5 minutes late due to numbskulls driving 5mph ahead of me) an I was alone to cover the entire IBM general enquiry switchboard and HW fault logging desk that usually keeps 15-20 people pretty busy. It took about an hour for the next person to arrive.
That was fun.

...and jeans do not make good cloths for cold windy weather :S

That is so true. Jeans weren't meant to be used as winter clothes.

Nameless
2009-12-09, 10:33 AM
I'm sooo jealous of you guys that have snow.
I love snow. I want snow. Now!

Worst 'snowstorm' we've had here in my area of Scotland in the past 10 years, we got about 5 inches overnight, and that created complete chaos around here. People weren't ready for it. Some shops stayed closed, others were open, but closed early so that people wouldn't have to drive in the snow with limited/no daylight.

Me? I loved it. I was the only one that made it in to work on time (well, about 5 minutes late due to numbskulls driving 5mph ahead of me) an I was alone to cover the entire IBM general enquiry switchboard and HW fault logging desk that usually keeps 15-20 people pretty busy. It took about an hour for the next person to arrive.
That was fun.

That is so true. Jeans weren't meant to be used as winter clothes.

Scotland doesn't have snow? o_O

Silverraptor
2009-12-09, 10:35 AM
No snow where I live.:smallannoyed:

Ilena
2009-12-09, 10:36 AM
hehe ive also ridden my bike in the snow, that was interesting, and quiet fun, not sure why i did it but i did, though i hate snow because my car gets stuck in anything more then like 3 inchs of it, stupid low cars :S other then that its fine

Khaeta
2009-12-09, 10:39 AM
We've got a few inches here, and it's still coming down, but school's already started...:smallfrown:

The Extinguisher
2009-12-09, 10:42 AM
I have never had a snowday. That's not to say it doesn't snow here (I've once been up to may waist in snow), just that they don't give us snowdays here.

I've had a cold day before. less then -40, they gave us the day off.

Atelm
2009-12-09, 10:45 AM
Places like Finland where snow is practically a given this time of year, no such concept as "snow day" exists here. :smallsigh:

Jacklu
2009-12-09, 10:50 AM
It's fun to shovel until it's -1 with windchill at 9:30 am. And it's supposed to get colder.

You say that as if it is supposed to impress me. :smallconfused: :smalltongue: I've been camping in -30 F weather during a storm that put down two feet of snow over night. Most fun I ever had. :smallbiggrin: Jacklu is a polar bear when it comes to low temps. 0 F is about when I start considering if I should wear a sweatshirt out or not. :smallwink:

Ecalsneerg
2009-12-09, 10:59 AM
Scotland doesn't have snow? o_O

Not often, no. We're more inclined to rain.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-09, 11:15 AM
We got about 4 inches of snow on top of the two or so left from the last four inch storm we got on Saturday.

I'll go shovel and then I'll have my dad drive me to my friend's house instead of walking over after school, for D&D.

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 12:06 PM
You say that as if it is supposed to impress me. :smallconfused: :smalltongue: I've been camping in -30 F weather during a storm that put down two feet of snow over night. Most fun I ever had. :smallbiggrin: Jacklu is a polar bear when it comes to low temps. 0 F is about when I start considering if I should wear a sweatshirt out or not. :smallwink:

Oh I didn't mean it to impress. -1 isn't all that cold, it just stops being fun to shovel. (at least for me)

MRizzle08
2009-12-09, 12:18 PM
Urban legend at my college is that they haven't cancelled classes since the civil war. So no, no snow day here.

valadil
2009-12-09, 12:26 PM
It has to be -40 degees C (with wind chill) for use to get school off, so its safe to say it usually only happens a couple times. Although a couple years back we got a whole week off of school, that was great.

Fun fact, you don't have to specify scale at -40. -40F = -40C.

No snow days for me, I have work. The sad thing is that all of my work is done remotely. I have a desk with a computer at my workplace, but admin computers elsewhere. There's no reason this can't be done from home, except that my boss doesn't actually believe computers work that way.

Alleine
2009-12-09, 01:11 PM
It snowed for like the second time in history in my town or something. And by snow I mean "melted instantly upon hitting the ground". But the hills got a decent dusting that lasted for the whole day and might still be there if I bothered looking out a window.

Middle California is not all that prone to snow :P

Nameless
2009-12-09, 01:15 PM
*Attempts to create synthetic snow*

Alleine
2009-12-09, 01:17 PM
*Attempts to create synthetic snow*

Take water, put in freezer, wait. Take out ice, smash it into little bits, then pack it into a snowball and throw it at a friend. :D

Nameless
2009-12-09, 01:19 PM
Take water, put in freezer, wait. Take out ice, smash it into little bits, then pack it into a snowball and throw it at a friend. :D

Wouldn't it melt by the time I get to college though? :P

Emlyn
2009-12-09, 01:52 PM
If you want, I'll ship you some. We have more then enough.

SDF
2009-12-09, 02:05 PM
When I lived in International Falls we would only get a snow day if it was too cold in the Twin Cities 300 miles south of us. It was -46F one day and we had school and -34F the same week where it was canceled. At around -35F you can't play outside during recess...

Eon
2009-12-09, 05:30 PM
When I lived in International Falls we would only get a snow day if it was too cold in the Twin Cities 300 miles south of us. It was -46F one day and we had school and -34F the same week where it was canceled. At around -35F you can't play outside during recess...

isn't Minnesota fun when you get snow in winter?
The bus driver was 20 minutes late today and later I have to go out in the cold right after swimming of course. Brrr....

Zocelot
2009-12-09, 05:55 PM
We don't get snow days around here. We laugh at the silly American cities that shut down if they get a foot of snow. We did get about 6 inches of snow, then it rained all day making the ground a very unpleasent slush.

zeratul
2009-12-09, 07:19 PM
We got about six inches here, but we need a foot of snow and bad roads in order for schools to close here in Syracuse since our plow system is so good and everyone's used to driving in the stuff.

Tharivol123
2009-12-09, 07:32 PM
Only 10.5 inches here, but sustained winds of 30+ mph with gusts of 50. Goes without saying everything in town was closed, about a third of the city lost power, and a couple hundred people were evacuated to the middle school since they were without heat otherwise.

On a positive note, I got the phone call giving me a start date for my new job.

Edit: When I went to school up at Tech. this kind of snow fall was pretty common and classes have only been cancelled once or twice in the history of the school.

KilltheToy
2009-12-09, 07:40 PM
We had a snow day here in southeast Texas last Friday. Thus, my school district, being composed of people from southeast Texas, freaked out and declared it a snow day. On Thursday night, when the weather report was "it might snow Friday evening. Possibly."

I love my school district :smalltongue:.

Alteran
2009-12-09, 07:51 PM
Today we got the first significant snow of the year, which was immediately followed by the first significant freezing rain of the year. Fun times.

We had a few inches of snow combined with horrible rain/hail, but it's Canada in December. Nobody cares. I've had something like three snow days in the past 11 years, and I'm sure that I've had hundreds of days with worse snow than what Texas got recently. :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-12-09, 08:07 PM
Yup. We got 18 inches of snow overnight last night. It broke a record set back in the 1960s. I cleared my driveway (waist high drifts) in 39 MPH winds and a windchill in the negatives as well as helping my dad and his two neighbors clear the end of their driveways and their sidewalks. I was outside for a good part of the day. Half the town was closed.

*remembers back when "snow day" meant fun* :smallsigh:

Jacklu
2009-12-09, 10:34 PM
Jacklu's school cancels classes because they are impaired when it comes to handling plowing of parking areas. I guess it is easier for them to cancel classes than find a way to get the parking lots plowed on the day it snows. If I was on campus I would complain louder, but where I commute, I don't mind not having to drive a half hour in. Not because the roads are snowy, but because around here people forget how to drive in the snow during the month and a half of summer we get. :smallsigh:

KuReshtin
2009-12-10, 03:10 AM
We've only had a few days with frost in the mornings here so far this winter.
I'm still waiting for the first car to be sitting next to the road in a specific bend in the road on my way to work. We usually get about five or six people go off at that particular bend every year, even if everyone knows that five or six people go off in that bend every year.

People around these parts just can't drive.

wxdruid
2009-12-10, 03:23 AM
I was busy at work, forecasting all the lovely snow, but we didn't get any here in St Louis, IL.

Totals
Grand Island, NE 10"
Des Moines, IA 10"
Davenport, IA 12"
Sioux City, IA 10"
Waterloo, IA 10"
Madison, WI 14"
West Bend, WI 13"
Minneapolis, MN 7"
Chicago, IL 3"
Sioux Falls, SD 5"

Trog
2009-12-11, 02:25 PM
This (http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-367071) is why my state is great. :smallcool:

EDIT: @^ We got 17.0" here. :smalleek:

ThreadKiller
2009-12-11, 02:36 PM
Meh, it was just cold over here in the Twin Cities. Definitely not fun to wait for the bus.

Ilena
2009-12-11, 05:00 PM
Well last report from the outside world says its TRYING to snow, maybe we might get a few little flakes? *starts taunting the weather* i bet you cant snow my car in! let alone anything else! *car gets stuck in 2 inchs of snow :P* So i will see what its like in .... 22 mins! woot!

Gem Flower
2009-12-11, 05:54 PM
Oh, snow days... I've never had one. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and unless you're in Toronto, there is no way we're gonna cancel school for snow. No offense to any Torontonians...:smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-12-11, 06:36 PM
...your lectures are canceled because of snow? What. The. Heck?

Lupy
2009-12-11, 07:04 PM
I live in Central NC.

We get about a foot every year, but over the course of maybe 4 snow days. We always get school off for snow, no idea right but I'm not complaining. The worst thing about snow here though is that elderly people freeze to death every year because they're alone in houses without heat. :smallfrown:

Linkavitch
2009-12-12, 09:28 AM
What do I do on a snow day? School. Only sucky part about being homeschooled.:smallannoyed:

Alteran
2009-12-12, 01:59 PM
Oh, snow days... I've never had one. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and unless you're in Toronto, there is no way we're gonna cancel school for snow. No offense to any Torontonians...:smalltongue:

None taken, but that's not entirely accurate. :smalltongue:

I live in Toronto, and as I said earlier, I've had perhaps 3 snow days in the last 11 years. I can expect one every 2-4 years, basically. So it can happen, but it's still a very rare event.

cycoris
2009-12-12, 04:00 PM
This (http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-367071) is why my state is great. :smallcool:

EDIT: @^ We got 17.0" here. :smalleek:

*gasp* I remember the Bascom Hill snowfights from when I was five.

I think we have 1.5" on the ground right now, and it's supposed to snow through Tuesday. Probably no chance of postponing my biology final though. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-12-20, 08:57 AM
I live in Central NC.

We get about a foot every year, but over the course of maybe 4 snow days. We always get school off for snow, no idea right but I'm not complaining. The worst thing about snow here though is that elderly people freeze to death every year because they're alone in houses without heat. :smallfrown:

...wow. You'd think, even if it's only for a couple of days, that the builders would plan for at least some degree of heating; people freezing to death sounds like hell. I guess it's all so alien to me since we have snow and subzero temperatures (Celsius) for a quarter of the year, so we're prepared.

I've seen/had exactly one day off education facility of any kind due to snow (I don't think my 7-years-junior little brother ever had any) over the 24 years of my life. To be fair, we had 30 m/s winds that day too, which might have been the primary reason.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 02:06 PM
It just snowed for the second (third?) time since I got to college. The yard is entirely white and several inches higher than it used to be.