PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Random NPCs as PCs...

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:18 AM
I've been using Myth-Weaver's random NPC generator (http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_npc.php?do=npcgen) lately, and I've started generating characters with levels in "Any NPC" class and "Any PC" class, both at "low" levels. I've also been looking at their motives.

So far, the coolest one I've got so far (I think), is an evil Elf Aristocrat ("Nob") 2/Rogue 2 fixated with obtaining power.

Anyone else think that'd be a really fun campaign? Face skillmonkeying to change votes, snooping to obtain information, interrogating people, intimidating people to change votes, killing people to change votes, and killing people to remove votes... and trying to get away with all of that.

Optimystik
2009-12-09, 11:22 AM
Beguiler/Aristocrat would be immensely more successful. Charm the local hero, have him sing your praises at the rally. Read your rival's mind during the debate to both demolish his argument and air his dirty laundry.

If you don't mind being less sneaky physically, be a Telepath and do all of the above without anyone suspecting a thing.

Edwin
2009-12-09, 11:24 AM
Sound pretty fun.

Be prepared for the friendly neighbors cat to tear up your ass, though.

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:33 AM
Sound pretty fun.

Be prepared for the friendly neighbors cat to tear up your ass, though.

Alright, let's put Alor up against a housecat.

Alor, male elf Nob2/Rog2: CR 3; Size M (5 ft., 3 in. tall);
HD 2d8-2 + 2d6-2; hp 14; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12; Attack
+2 melee, or +4 ranged; SV Fort -1, Ref +5, Will +6; AL NE;
Str 11, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 15.

Languages Spoken: Common, Elven, Gnoll, Goblin.

Skills and feats: Appraise +5, Balance +3, Craft
(Armorsmithing) +5, Disguise +7, Forgery +5, Handle Animal
+8, Hide +4, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +2,
Knowledge (The Planes) +2, Listen +5, Move Silently +2, Open
Lock +4, Search +2, Speak Language +2, Spot +5; [Evasion],
Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Handle Animal).

Possessions: 3,300 gp in gear.

Now, I'm sure somethings could be moved around to make him fit the role we want, but this particular random NPC (not the one that spurred the campaign idea) could probably just tell the cat what to do with a handle animal check.

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:35 AM
Beguiler/Aristocrat would be immensely more successful. Charm the local hero, have him sing your praises at the rally. Read your rival's mind during the debate to both demolish his argument and air his dirty laundry.

If you don't mind being less sneaky physically, be a Telepath and do all of the above without anyone suspecting a thing.

Unfortunately, M-W's character generator doesn't include non-core (or even psionic) classes.

SaintRidley
2009-12-09, 11:38 AM
Now, I'm sure somethings could be moved around to make him fit the role we want, but this particular random NPC (not the one that spurred the campaign idea) could probably just tell the cat what to do with a handle animal check.

Didn't you know? Cats are immune to attempts to domesticate. In fact, they have a hidden Handle Human skill with a +15 modifier (+10 if they purr).

Zovc
2009-12-09, 12:21 PM
Okay, this is what I ended up giving Alor:

Longbow, Masterwork
-Arrows (40)
Dagger, Masterwork
Mithral Shirt
Bag of Tricks, Gray
Elixr of Truth

Alor has 44*gp left.

At what range does Alor engage the housecat?

*edit.