PDA

View Full Version : Feats that grant spell resistance?

Lysander
2009-12-09, 02:24 PM
Are there any feats a non-magician can take to gain spell resistance?

Myrmex
2009-12-09, 02:36 PM
Awaken Spell Resistance, from the Draconomicon.

Person_Man
2009-12-09, 02:37 PM
Awaken Spell Resistance, from the Draconomicon.

IIRC, you need to be a dragon in order for this to work, and the SR is based on your dragon hit dice. I'll have to check when I get home.

Milskidasith
2009-12-09, 02:38 PM
Out of curiosity, why do you want SR? It sucks for anything but NPCs.

Glimbur
2009-12-09, 02:45 PM
SR can be useful, but it's a double-edged sword because it also applies to buff spells, generally.

If your DM is in the habit of throwing some fireballs or scorching rays at you, and the party spellcasters don't cast Haste and Prayer and other buffs, then SR could be nice.

If, on the other hand, your friendly spell casters do cast buffs, then it is less helpful.

If the DM has recurring and smart opponents, they will use spells and techniques that get around your SR like Conjuration spells or buffing their side.

tl;dr SR isn't useless, but generally not worth getting.

Myrmex
2009-12-09, 02:45 PM
IIRC, you need to be a dragon in order for this to work, and the SR is based on your dragon hit dice. I'll have to check when I get home.

All true.

Out of curiosity, why do you want SR? It sucks for anything but NPCs.

Might be good for an arena build, a solo build, or a low magic setting.

Fastmover
2009-12-09, 02:54 PM
Fiendish Heretige

Fiendish Resistance

I think thats what I'm thinking of. I can't remember which book it is in though.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-09, 04:03 PM
There's at least one soulmeld for this. The Spellward Shirt gives SR 5, which increases by 4 for each point of essentia invested. It can be obtained with the feat Shape Soulmeld, but I don't reckon it will be very helpful if you don't have any essentia.

Levithix
2009-12-09, 04:34 PM
Sr can also be useful for the party buffer as it doesn't apply to your own spells.

If would also be good for a character concept that doesn't trust magic. (While this may not be an optimized character, it could still be a fun one)

I've found the difficulty in getting spell resistance without spells or items for pcs rather odd and annoying.

Eldariel
2009-12-09, 04:36 PM
Isn't there a rather amazing Soulmeld for SR to Shape Soulmeld+Extra Essentia?

Thurbane
2009-12-09, 09:23 PM
Not exactly SR, but Deformity (Madness) gives immunity to all things mind-affecting...

Darrin
2009-12-10, 12:27 AM
There's at least one soulmeld for this. The Spellward Shirt gives SR 5, which increases by 4 for each point of essentia invested. It can be obtained with the feat Shape Soulmeld, but I don't reckon it will be very helpful if you don't have any essentia.

Dispel Magic (which is SR: No) is also a pain in the tuchus, although there are certain magic items that can make your soulmelds much more difficult to unshape or dispel.

Glimbur
2009-12-10, 01:08 AM
Dispel Magic (which is SR: No) is also a pain in the tuchus, although there are certain magic items that can make your soulmelds much more difficult to unshape or dispel.

Dispel only suppresses the soulmeld for 1d4 rounds, like a magic item, but that can be enough. Also, with out class levels and by spending lots of feats, the best you can do is...
SR 13 1-5
SR 17 6-11
SR 25 12-17
SR 29 18-30
Assuming you pick up an Incarnum Focus item at level 12. They're 15K, so not cheap.

SR 13 at level 1 is nice, but requires 2 essentia plus Improved Soulmeld Capacity. An Azurin could take Shape Soumeld and Improved capacity and be one essentia short without a feat from getting a flaw.

By level 8 you're pretty sad.

Level 12 perks you up a bit, but this is due to me sticking the item in here too.

By level 20 an equal level caster needs to roll a 9 to break your SR. Assuming they have no CL boosters and are casting spells that allow SR, which is an unlikely combination.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-10, 03:54 AM
Another item that helps out with the Soulmeld shenanigans would be to get Drazzix's Vest from the DMG2. For Xty GP, you net yourself ~+5 to your previous SR.

Other ideas to consider would be to go Forsaker (3.0, Masters of the Wild), due to its SR explicitly stacking with all other types. Now, it's probably against the spirit of the design, but, you would honestly have to convince your DM, that, well psionics has the same impact on magic as magic does and vice versa, they are still different enough to warrant a Forsaker using psionic items.

That or just refluff the Forsaker to be racist towards Illithids and call it a day, so you don't have to find the Psionic X of the vest.