PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Candy for Christmas?

alchemyprime
2009-12-09, 03:42 PM
Hey all. Alchemyprime here.

I'm looking for this candy my dad eats. He calls it cactus candy, but all my google searchs are returning these... Gummy Bear Cactus looking things. What I'm looking for is a dried piece of cactus, that when you eat it its somewhere between a piece of a honeycomb and a dried pineapple.

Its like in little squares and we used to get it by his old work but he changed jobs and we haven't been down there in years. :smallfrown: So I was wondering if any playgrounders know about it? My mom said she remembered it was agave cactus, but she doesn't remember breakfast, so I'm not so sure...

Any help? Guys? Southwest Playgrounders, a little help?

Pocketa
2009-12-10, 10:01 PM
Is it these?

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2006/03/30/review-cactus-candy/

http://www.cactuscandy.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=31

It could also be "dulce de bisnaga", used for cactus candies. Try your ethnic markets and ask around there. You can get tons of weird candy in foreign markets (fact, seeing as my local international foods market caters to Hispanic, Filipino, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, British, and Martian consumers, so I'm used to seeing Capri Sun next to tapioca balls next to deer flank from NZ next to Marmite).

Kneenibble
2009-12-10, 10:05 PM
I only know there is such a thing called cactus candy from when John Waters was a guest star on the Simpsons.

*Homer acts homerphobic*
"Well! No cactus candy for you, mister! No... that's cruel. Take a teensy piece."

alchemyprime
2009-12-12, 10:20 PM
Pocketa, thanks to you mentioning dulce de bisnaga, I found Acitron. Not a decepticon, but it seems to describe the candy we get in California pefectly. A chunk of cactus, soaked in sugar to the point of supersaturation!

And Kneenibble, I love that episode. Dad didn't eat cactus candy for a few days. He had bought a whole box. I was one happy six year old. "YAY! HALF A BOX OF CANDY!" Mom and sis hate the stuff. Dad and I scarf it down.

Just realized that technically, we ate candied cactus. Hm.