PDA

View Full Version : ARRGH!! No Internet!

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-09, 04:01 PM
I didn't realise how much I depended on having Net access until this week.

By accident, I discovered I could get to a few sites on my phone, but only a few. I can't check my email, I can't tell the DMs of the 2 games I am in what has happened, I can't contact my own players for a game I am trying to start and I can't blog.

Hopefully, Telstra will fix it today but it's only until now that we know it's their fault and not ours.

Tavar
2009-12-09, 04:13 PM
That really sucks. Of course, this is from someone who losses internet for at least a week every year when he visits his grandparents.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-09, 04:30 PM
You can plan for that sort of thing though. This happened out of the blue.

Closak
2009-12-09, 04:38 PM
Man that sucks.

I know that i tend to go completely bat**** insane when my internet isn't working :smallannoyed:

Weimann
2009-12-09, 04:42 PM
I agree that stuff like that happening out of the blue can be a mjor peeve at least and a complete anxiety attack at worst.

It's much easier when you can plan for it. During summer I usually go without Internet for 7 or 8 weeks a year, but that's manageable, because I can make sure to have no online arrangements during that time.

RS14
2009-12-09, 05:21 PM
I can't check my email, I can't tell the DMs of the 2 games I am in what has happened, I can't contact my own players for a game I am trying to start

I'm willing to email/pm/post whoever you need to contact. Provide relevant information in the thread.

Though it occurs to me that you may simply not be able to access your contacts list, in which case there's not much I can do.

Try your local library.

Elm11
2009-12-09, 07:10 PM
ah, good ol' telstra. As reliable as firelock weaponry in the middle of a monsoon. this is why i use optus :smallbiggrin:.

Seriously though, i hope it's fixed soon. I know how much of a pain it can be when your lines of communication collapse at the most important times.

Pocketa
2009-12-09, 11:43 PM
Go outside, have some fun.

Engineering camp.
No Internet for over a week.
Classes did not necessitate it.
No wireless.
No phone reception.

Best. Week. Of my life.

Day 1.) Get to camp, I'm one of like 10 girls in a program of 300 people. This oughta be interesting. I introduce myself to everyone, including 3 roommates who all have the same name. I end up sitting with the popular kids because I felt at home with'm. It's like a half day, because we get there in the evening.

Day 2.) Realize that the populars are picking on other people, decide it's totally uncool, so I hang out with people everyone (read: 20 people who felt out of place because their rich engineer parents sent them to the camp against their will, so not everyone) said were huge nerds. We have a beast time, and I'm the only girl brave enough to do this. That night, we go bowling, and I'm terrible at bowling, but a good time is had by all. Of course, the arcade machines are busted.

Day 3.) We're taken to a lake, we have a ton of pizza and midwestern soda that I thought wasn't brand name but was, it's just obscure to me but totally not to them (Sundrop! WOOO!), and we go on a fishing quest. The prize? Sitting next to me in the bus, and at the theater the next night. Everybody gets around 5 fish, so we all sit together. There are quests NPCs, a scavenger hunt, etc. Pretty bomb.

Day 4.) We watch Transformers. I sit in the middle of all my buds, they share popcorn, candy, and drinks with me. It's good to be me.

Day 5.) We part, but we had great times, and exchanged numbers.

Every day, we were given an opportunity to go to the gym or stay at camp. Most people go to the gym, because there's a pool. Turns out half the guys there are certified life guards, and super ripped. Most people are from Missouri, I'm from Cali, and it was a definite blast. I'm totally going back next year.

And thank goodness I didn't have the Internet to distract me.

This Saturday, my friend is taking me out for a day.

$20 for transport
$50 for tickets
$30 for lunch
$40 for dinner
---
$140

I'm not paying a dime, because that's against his family's principles (letting a girl pay) and the tickets were a gift to them, but I won't be on the Internet, or on the phone, or connected to tech that day at all. And he's a total sweetie for making this our monthly day (we do something like this every month).

BUT NO INTERNET.

kpenguin
2009-12-09, 11:45 PM
Hopefully you can head down to the local library or internet cafe or wherever and do all your stuff there.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-09, 11:54 PM
Go outside, have some fun.

Engineering camp.
No Internet for over a week.
Classes did not necessitate it.
No wireless.
No phone reception.

Best. Week. Of my life.

Day 1.) Get to camp, I'm one of like 10 girls in a program of 300 people. This oughta be interesting. I introduce myself to everyone, including 3 roommates who all have the same name. I end up sitting with the popular kids because I felt at home with'm. It's like a half day, because we get there in the evening.

Day 2.) Realize that the populars are picking on other people, decide it's totally uncool, so I hang out with people everyone (read: 20 people who felt out of place because their rich engineer parents sent them to the camp against their will, so not everyone) said were huge nerds. We have a beast time, and I'm the only girl brave enough to do this. That night, we go bowling, and I'm terrible at bowling, but a good time is had by all. Of course, the arcade machines are busted.

Day 3.) We're taken to a lake, we have a ton of pizza and midwestern soda that I thought wasn't brand name but was, it's just obscure to me but totally not to them (Sundrop! WOOO!), and we go on a fishing quest. The prize? Sitting next to me in the bus, and at the theater the next night. Everybody gets around 5 fish, so we all sit together. There are quests NPCs, a scavenger hunt, etc. Pretty bomb.

Day 4.) We watch Transformers. I sit in the middle of all my buds, they share popcorn, candy, and drinks with me. It's good to be me.

Day 5.) We part, but we had great times, and exchanged numbers.

Every day, we were given an opportunity to go to the gym or stay at camp. Most people go to the gym, because there's a pool. Turns out half the guys there are certified life guards, and super ripped. Most people are from Missouri, I'm from Cali, and it was a definite blast. I'm totally going back next year.

And thank goodness I didn't have the Internet to distract me.

This Saturday, my friend is taking me out for a day.

$20 for transport
$50 for tickets
$30 for lunch
$40 for dinner
---
$140

I'm not paying a dime, because that's against his family's principles (letting a girl pay) and the tickets were a gift to them, but I won't be on the Internet, or on the phone, or connected to tech that day at all. And he's a total sweetie for making this our monthly day (we do something like this every month).

BUT NO INTERNET.

It seems that it's good to be you. :smalltongue:

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:56 PM
When I had an appartment (AKA lived in "the city," a city with a college) losing internet was no big deal at all.

I would just put [card/board game] in my bag, or throw my guitar's gig bag on and hop on my bike, then go to the honors dorms. I had a lot of friends there, and could use computers in the computer lab if I felt so inclined. If I wanted to use a more modern machine (rather than the 1980 sun microsystem computers in the lab), I could go to the computer science building, but I'd usually just hang out until dinner rolled around, then leave around midnight (biking through one of the ghettos! Woo!) and see if the internets work. If not, bedtime.

Also, I am good friends with the owner of a hobby shop, so I could always go play Magic/UFS/[random board/card game].

Now, It's just like... "Good thing I torrented [game]," or "Good thing I got that PS2 emulator (my console's graphics look so bad now that I've played the games on this computer)." Of course, games usually hold my interest for like an hour to maybe four hours, and then I want to socialize again.

I really wish I still lived in the city, I'm now 65 miles away, which is enough to visit occasionally. It stinks, as much as I like my friends there, I wish I was close enough to still be a casual friend or far enough to just move on. I only see them like once or twice a month now.

Pocketa
2009-12-10, 12:08 AM
It seems that it's good to be you. :smalltongue:

No, I just met people that weren't internet/tech/phone junkies, and it totally changed my perception of technology as well as the role it plays in my life. I can put my computer down for a week plus now. Not that I do, but whence vacation starts, I probably will. I had fun, but because I was in an environment with creative people that wanted to have fun. And not surf the internet.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-10, 01:39 AM
If the games were in the playground, I could get to them. One is on Enworld which won't load and the other is on a guys website and I can't remember the address.

As for my players, I'm contacting them through AIM or the forums of Rebelscum.com.

I think it might be back now, not sure as my PC always had its own peculiar way of connecting.