PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Boosting necrotic damage?

Hal
2009-12-09, 06:30 PM
I'm blanking. Are there any feats, or any pieces of equipment, which boost necrotic damage or modify powers that cause it?

Boci
2009-12-09, 06:51 PM
There's a feat that gives +1 to damage for powers with the necrotic or phychic keyword.

HMS Invincible
2009-12-09, 07:31 PM
Gloves of the shadowfell. Pretty sure there is a wizard feat too.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-12-09, 07:36 PM
Gloves of the shadowfell. Pretty sure there is a wizard feat too.

Just to clarify, Shadowfell Gloves give you a daily power of making the damage type on one power necrotic, and adding an additional d6/tier to the power's damage. (I was, however, told that I wasn't allowed to use this to make stinking cloud into a giant 5x5 square of sustainable 1d10 + 1d6 + 8. Ah well.)

erikun
2009-12-09, 08:00 PM
Dark Fury (PHB) adds +1 damage/tier to necrotic and psychic damage. Student of Moil (Dragon) adds +1 damage/tier to necrotic and cold damage. Both are feat damage, though, and don't stack.

Both are in the trial version of the DDI Character Builder. (I'm not sure if it's still available for download, though.)

Mando Knight
2009-12-09, 09:17 PM
There's also the Epic Destiny "Avatar of Death" from Divine Power, which allows you to ignore the first 20 points of an opponent's Resist Necrotic.

Hal
2009-12-09, 10:45 PM
Let me show my hand. Part of why I ask is I'm considering the "Paladin of the Raven Queen" article just released and imagining how to play that out. I'm familiar with the cold damage tweaking (Wintertouched + Lasting Frost), but the new powers work with both cold and necrotic damage.

Xallace
2009-12-09, 10:53 PM
Elves with the Aerenal background get a +1/tier Necrotic damage feat which, if I recall, provides the same bonus to attack rolls if the attack was made with an Action Point.

tcrudisi
2009-12-09, 11:47 PM
There's an Avenger feat just released which lets you +Wis mod to the first successful attack you make against your Oath target each round. I don't remember the name atm, but it was from the Avengers Essentials article.

HMS Invincible
2009-12-09, 11:58 PM
Just to clarify, Shadowfell Gloves give you a daily power of making the damage type on one power necrotic, and adding an additional d6/tier to the power's damage. (I was, however, told that I wasn't allowed to use this to make stinking cloud into a giant 5x5 square of sustainable 1d10 + 1d6 + 8. Ah well.)

Why doesn't it work? You might as well say it won't give bonus damage to every target in aoe spells.

Mando Knight
2009-12-10, 01:13 AM
Let me show my hand. Part of why I ask is I'm considering the "Paladin of the Raven Queen" article just released and imagining how to play that out. I'm familiar with the cold damage tweaking (Wintertouched + Lasting Frost), but the new powers work with both cold and necrotic damage.

Just use a holy symbol weapon and grab Weapon Focus for it for both your weapon and implement powers. That's how everyone else does it. :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2009-12-10, 01:49 AM
Why doesn't it work? You might as well say it won't give bonus damage to every target in aoe spells.

I think it should work. Even if you subscribe to the notion (which I don't) that a "damage roll" is only a damage roll if it preceded by an attack roll, then it still works because the gloves mention "damage", not "damage roll". If it doesn't work that way, then it's pretty weak for an item daily.

Colmarr
2009-12-10, 04:45 PM
I think it should work.

By RAW, I agree.

However, I doubt that was the intention behind the item so I have no problem with a DM ruling the other way.

EDIT: Let me clarify. I have no problem with the item doing +d6 to every target in an AoE. It's the sustainability that I suspect is the problem.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-12-10, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I got it for every target in the AOE, just not for the rest of the battle.