PDA

View Full Version : Durid/Ninja

Runeclaw
2009-12-09, 07:06 PM
I play a melee-heavy Druid in a Pathfinder game with all 3.5 books allowed. We're also using the UA class-based Defense optino, which means giving up armor is very little drawback (I don't bother with the stuff anyway, because at level 11 I've already got a +7 class-based defense bonus which doesn't stack with armor).

While I know I should be hesitant to give up caster levels, given this set of houserules, would one level of Ninja (can't do Monk for alignment reasons) for Wisdom-to-AC be a good investment? I can probably make the fluff fit. A +7 or so (even higher as I go up levels) to my AC seems awfully tasty. Pathfinder nerfed Monk's Belt, so that's not an option.

Eldariel
2009-12-09, 07:14 PM
No, Ninja isn't a bad option, really. It even gets you Trapfinding; Able Learner Ninja 1/Druid 19 is an excellent solo-character for D&D 3.5; you have control and offensive casting, melee capability, companion, skill monkeyism and the ability to generate extra combat help quite easily. Oh, and the whole "defensive casting"-shtick.

So yeah, go for it if you intend to spend a lot of time in the frontline.

Mongoose87
2009-12-09, 07:15 PM
If you're willing to spend a few feats, Fist of the Forest with get you CON to AC, instead, and it's much more Druid-ey.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-09, 07:38 PM
Monk's Belt. Adds Wis to AC for cash instead of class levels.

Eldariel
2009-12-09, 07:43 PM
Monk's Belt. Adds Wis to AC for cash instead of class levels.

Would be nice except:

Pathfinder nerfed Monk's Belt, so that's not an option.

Human Paragon 3
2009-12-09, 09:33 PM
I say go for it. You can trade trapfinding for track (it's a ranger alternate class feature in dungeonscape) and have it fit perfectly.

Zaq
2009-12-09, 11:15 PM
With a couple exceptions (damn you, Planar Shepherd!), anything that isn't MOAR DRUID makes you strictly weaker than if you went straight-class. Druids are plain just that good. However, since they ARE that good, you can afford to lose a single level and still probably be the strongest person around, assuming you're not partying with Clericzilla, an Artificer, and a properly PrC'd Wizard.