PDA

View Full Version : Re: the Oracle's Predictions

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-09, 07:44 PM
I was thinking about the oracles predictions today. I'm not entirely sure, why, the mod squad haven't had to lock any threads for bringing up that subject lately, but the point is it was on my mind. It occurred to me that for the most part the oracle's predictions really aren't that useful. In fact I can only remember one instance wherein the little orange weirdo was that much use.

Haley asked how she would get her speech back. Not only was the answer vague, but it wasn't anywhere on her mind when she did get her speech back. I think we can safely assume (or at least I can safely assume) that given what happened and her state of mind when it did happen, she would have gotten her speech back at that moment if she had asked a more reasonable question (such as "Why are people so obsessed with decoding my crypograms).

V asked when he would receive ultimate arcane power, but whether or not said four words have been spoken, his actions and his decisions have been made without regard to that prediction. Plus, his bird didn't even TRY using gingko bilboa.

Even the prediction of Belkar's death (the less said about which the better) gave a timetable, but no actual cause or other useful information. In fact the timetable itself is still being argued about (among many...many...many other things in regards to that particular prediction.

Even when Roy asked a reasonable question, his preparation for that it had him so paranoid that he goofed the question up, and more to the point, he found out which gate Xykon was going for all too well without the oracle's help.

So what we have is a group of people going through a whole big hullabaloo of body, mind and heart trails, paying up a small bag full of gold coins (I assume they were gold coins and not bottlecaps) to get vague answers that in the end rarely ever help. My opinion, therefore, is that a trip to the oracle is a bit like spending five minutes trying to come up with a good anaology for wasting one's time. It's time consuming and unnecessary when you can just say "It's a waste of time."

Anyway that's my take on the situation, what's y'alls?

Kish
2009-12-09, 07:51 PM
You didn't specify which answer you consider to have been useful. Beyond that...

If not for the Oracle saying "Girard's Gate" in response to Roy's silly question (and, incidentally, he did his best to convince Roy to ask a less-silly one), the Order would have only a coinflip's chance of being on their way to the same gate as Xykon now. If not for the Oracle telling Eugene that the sorcerer who had killed Fyron was named Xykon, the entire plot of the comic wouldn't work. So, no. The Oracle isn't altruistic or friendly, but he's far from useless.

silversaraph
2009-12-09, 07:57 PM
Well... that's just a personality trait of the oracle. He likes being as vague and useless as possible while still technically predicting something true. Otherwise he would have told everyone the specific answers in step by step detail, but honestly, that's no fun, is it?

Edit: I understand what you're trying to say, as in why do they bother to go. I think the answer is that they don't remember anything else, but if they remember the prophecy and "When they gift horse comes, don't look it in the mouth" they'll *know* it's significant and eventually come back. They don't know the context of the situation and why the answer was bad.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-09, 07:57 PM
Plus, his bird didn't even TRY using gingko bilboa.

He has a name, you know.

And not that we've seen. :smalltongue:

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-09, 08:00 PM
You didn't specify which answer you consider to have been useful. Beyond that...

...If not for the Oracle telling Eugene that the sorcerer who had killed Fyron was named Xykon, the entire plot of the comic wouldn't work. So, no. The Oracle isn't altruistic or friendly, but he's far from useless.

That's the one that I figured was actually usefull, and you're right he can be useful (especially if you're a dragon), but for the MOST part he's not particularly usefull. I mean you're talking about two successful answers amid several more somewhat less successful ones. Not that he's useless, just that for the most part he hasn't been that much help.

Kish
2009-12-09, 08:01 PM
"Could it be because I don't like you? You dangled me out a window!"

No, he's not nice. What of it? You can't accurately say going to see him was useless for the Order or for Eugene.

Harr
2009-12-09, 08:03 PM
So what we have is a group of people going through a whole big hullabaloo of body, mind and heart trails, paying up a small bag full of gold coins (I assume they were gold coins and not bottlecaps) to get vague answers that in the end rarely ever help. My opinion, therefore, is that a trip to the oracle is a bit like spending five minutes trying to come up with a good anaology for wasting one's time. It's time consuming and unnecessary when you can just say "It's a waste of time."

Anyway that's my take on the situation, what's y'alls?

It probably does amount to scant more than a waste of time to anybody who's not a chromatic dragon.

But my take is, when you're desperate you're desperate, and when you can't think of anything else, watcha gonna do? Even the tiniest bits of help that you can possibly squeeze out of the visit can make a difference (and as posted above, they have made a difference a few times).

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-09, 08:05 PM
"Could it be because I don't like you? You dangled me out a window!"

No, he's not nice. What of it? You can't accurately say going to see him was useless for the Order or for Eugene.

Good point, Kish. The mother black dragon practically received a Google map directions to V's place, but Roy's crew received the cryptic treatment.

EDIT: Plus it was usefull for Eugene. The Order, though, I agree less. Everyone but Roy has been given vague, unhelpful advice.

Another EDIT: So my point isn't necessarily that seeing him is completely useless, just that it's not as much use as alternate methods such as just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Harr
2009-12-09, 08:10 PM
Good point, Kish. The mother black dragon practically received a Google map directions to V's place, but Roy's crew received the cryptic treatment.

Plus the mother dragon specifically told V "My people have an oracle, given to us by our goddess." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0628.html)

So it could stand that the oracle, while bound to answer completely and truthfully to Tiamat's creatures, has no obligation or even inclination to do so for anybody else (but won't turn down a little extra cash when it's ok with the boss-lady :smallwink:)

Sir_Elderberry
2009-12-09, 10:17 PM
Actually, according to that strip, the Oracle just gave Mom the name "Vaarsuvius." The dragon's quite capable divination sorted out the rest.