PDA

View Full Version : Does Roland ever sleep?

silversaraph
2009-12-09, 07:49 PM
Here's how I imagine it: There's a team of squirrels, pigeons, and monkeys, all looking for a place in Roland's heart. To compete, each one gets a computer screen, slowly rolling over the OOTS threads. When one when spots an invalid keyword, usually a squirrel, it takes an acorn and chucks it at his head, no mater what he's doing at the moment.

Then Roland punches in something about "this is still a banned topic" into the iphone sewed into his chest and goes back to sleep, only to wake up ten minutes later.

There is absolutely nothing about updates in this thread. At first, I wanted to make a thread like this WITH an update complaint at 2:30 in the morning and see how long it took him to lock it. Then I realized it was immoral, though more importantly could have banned me again.

Could someone do me a favor and mention something update related at 2:30 in the morning?

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-09, 07:54 PM
You're wrong. It's ferrets, not squirrels. I mean do you know how much money the Squirrel's Union demands for the employment of just ONE squirrel?

Ashtar
2009-12-09, 07:56 PM
It's Nuts! We ask for nuts!

Starscream
2009-12-09, 07:57 PM
What you fail to realize is that the St. in Roland's name is not a joke. Like St. Cuthbert he has ascended to godhood (modhood is a variant on this). As such he need not sleep and sees all.

If he delays his response for a while it's only because he's giving us a chance to reconsider our transgressions and relent before he hits the Lock button and writes our names in the Great Book of Noob.

Ted The Bug
2009-12-09, 07:58 PM
Roland St. Jude doesn't sleep. He waits.
Hold on...think I'm confusing gunslinging crusaders for justice.

silversaraph
2009-12-09, 08:05 PM
Is that how he powers his iphone?

Edit, to avoid a double post. But seriously, if you dislike humor, this thread does have a point. Godness speculation aside, he literally closes threads round the clock after 10-20 minutes of idling, max. How?

And by my count, it's been 16 minutes. I wonder if he'll notice before his twenty minutes are up.

Conuly
2009-12-09, 08:28 PM
Maybe he's on some kind of round-the-clock super sleep schedule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep)?

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-09, 08:30 PM
Is that how he powers his iphone?

Edit, to avoid a double post. But seriously, if you dislike humor, this thread does have a point. Godness speculation aside, he literally closes threads round the clock after 10-20 minutes of idling, max. How?

And by my count, it's been 16 minutes. I wonder if he'll notice before his twenty minutes are up.

Well if you want a serious answer it's probably just that he's usually on at the same time you're on. I've seen a few locked threads go for up to five pages before the inevitable smack is layed down on the forbidden topic.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-09, 08:31 PM
well there's this one guy who's gone 11,700 days without sleep. Maybe that's Roland!

Illven
2009-12-09, 08:45 PM
well there's this one guy who's gone 11,700 days without sleep. Maybe that's Roland!

Where did you hear this I must know

SurlySeraph
2009-12-09, 08:58 PM
Roland is above such pitiful human concerns as sleep. He can smell lies and taste fear, and he can hear the thoughts of men on the wind. Nothing escapes his notice, whether the most ephemeral real-world politics discussionor the most cunningly concealed update question. He watches the desert and follows the tracks of the dead. Your thoughts are known to him, and he reads inside your soul.

Or maybe you just notice whenever he's on and don't notice when he isn't.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-09, 09:02 PM
Guess you have to be here awhile before you learn the truths.

Roland is not but one man. He is in actuality two women and a bullfrog.

BRC
2009-12-09, 09:02 PM
Why do I have the urge to make Roland a Judge Dread avatar...

Optimystik
2009-12-09, 09:03 PM
I report spam frequently, so I guess that makes me a "squirrel."

Atronach
2009-12-09, 09:11 PM
First: even if Roland does take his place as administrator (right?) so seriously that he stays up late at night watching the forums, why discuss it? It really should not be discussed just for the purpose of throwing about a few jokes.
Second: I do not believe we can discuss things like this in this forum.

Temotei
2009-12-09, 09:13 PM
First: even if Roland does take his place as administrator (right?) so seriously that he stays up late at night watching the forums, why discuss it? It really should not be discussed just for the purpose of throwing about a few jokes.
Second: I do not believe we can discuss things like this in this forum.

If not, we shall soon see, shall we not?

EDIT: If it's not closed, I bet it'll be moved. The Order of the Stick forum isn't the place for this.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-09, 09:13 PM
No. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-e0uZfooQ)

Why do I have the urge to make Roland a Judge Dread avatar...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/RolandStJ/path10195.png

Temotei
2009-12-09, 09:15 PM

:smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-09, 09:28 PM

I can so see you shouting "I AM THE LAW"

And then we'll ask you, "You're the... log?"

AshDesert
2009-12-09, 09:32 PM

First of all, amazing Judge Dred avatar. Second, ZOMG Roland responded to well, Random Banter, and he didn't lock it. Probably because none of us has mentioned the mind con- There is no mind control citizen. Go back to your fun.

There is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

Sewblon
2009-12-09, 09:42 PM
St. Roland does not exist. A series of highly advanced scripts that target posts referencing "updates" "when is new comic?" and "Giant's Health" create the illusion of a human moderator, because it is more easy to fear and respect a fellow human being than it is a computer program, but no human being could muster the time, energy, and swift typing necessary to lock all the threads complaining about how long the next comic is taking... Also, this computer program known as St. Roland is totally awesome and sexy(please don't punish me.)

lio45
2009-12-09, 10:52 PM
In fact, it's quite a realistic possibility that the "Roland St. Jude" account is shared by an East Coaster and an Australian, both having mod status...

Instead of having two different mods, you make them share a password and username, and create a legend of a guy who is REALLY online around the clock or almost. :)

Conuly
2009-12-09, 10:55 PM
In fact, it's quite a realistic possibility that the "Roland St. Jude" account is shared by an East Coaster and an Australian, both having mod status...

Instead of having two different mods, you make them share a password and username, and create a legend of a guy who is REALLY online around the clock or almost. :)

That's actually possible (novel concept :smallwink:)... but wouldn't it be easier to just have two (or three, or four) mods with two (or however many) usernames?

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-09, 10:56 PM
OR, he just doesn't sleep. That, or he's a robot sent from the future. The Rolandinator. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2009-12-09, 10:59 PM
Doesn't this belong in Friend Banter or Board/Site Issues?:smallconfused:

The Extinguisher
2009-12-09, 11:02 PM
OR, he just doesn't sleep. That, or he's a robot sent from the future. The Rolandinator. :smalltongue:

Sent from a future where the Giantitp forums are a wretched hive of scum and villainy? A future so bleak one man must make the ultimate sacrifice.

Coming this summer, Action Hero is.... Roland St. Jude.

kpenguin
2009-12-09, 11:05 PM
Old Image is Old:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/kpenguin222/SuperModerator1.gif

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-09, 11:10 PM
Flames, Trolls, and SPAM, oh my!

veti
2009-12-09, 11:23 PM
Of course, O-Chul doesn't sleep either. And have you noticed, we never see the two of them in the same strip?

littlequietguy
2009-12-09, 11:37 PM
Roland is never going to lock this. I've seen it before. If a moderator thinks a thread wants to be locked he won't lock it. After a few days of this being on the front page it gets kinda funny.

Kish
2009-12-09, 11:38 PM
More to the point, what rule is this thread breaking?

...It probably should be moved to Friendly Banter, but not locked, in any event. :smalltongue:

DEG
2009-12-09, 11:58 PM
This is the matrix, and Roland is, in fact, Neo.

Temotei
2009-12-10, 12:00 AM
This is the matrix, and Roland is, in fact, Neo.

Maybe he's the MitD?

EDIT: Never mind. That wouldn't make any sense. He never sleeps.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-10, 12:17 AM
The Leonidas of Moderating, maybe?

DEG
2009-12-10, 12:30 AM
THIS! IS! a thread breaking the forum rules. be careful with what you post, and don't troll.
<<
>>
*BAM* kicks into hole

HotAndCold
2009-12-10, 12:31 AM
Old Image is Old:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/kpenguin222/SuperModerator1.gif

Flamer, troll, spambot, adbot, religion, politics.... Can't place EB or the MP guys off the top of my head; what're those supposed to be?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-10, 12:33 AM
THIS! IS! a thread breaking the forum rules. be careful with what you post, and don't troll.
<<
>>
*BAM* kicks into hole

:smallsigh: You have to say "THIS IS PLAYGROUND!"

DEG
2009-12-10, 12:34 AM
dont know bout EB, but I think MP are multiple post.

maybe EB stands for enormous Batman?

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-10, 12:44 AM
I've got it! EB is Emotional Baggage!
.... Right?

Setra
2009-12-10, 12:50 AM
<<
>>
*BAM* kicks into hole
I see it more like this

THIS! IS! GITP!

*Six Guns*

kpenguin
2009-12-10, 12:54 AM
I've got it! EB is Emotional Baggage!
.... Right?

External Baggage, but close enough. Thus the suitcase head.

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-10, 12:55 AM
External Baggage, but close enough. Thus the suitcase head.

Hooray! What's my prize?

kpenguin
2009-12-10, 12:57 AM
I'd give you an internet, but I uzed it.

RebelT
2009-12-10, 12:58 AM
The only thing that picture is missing is the grammar police.

DEG
2009-12-10, 01:00 AM
...Why is he running away from them in the picture? in reality he would just cast epic-curb-stomp on them:smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2009-12-10, 01:01 AM
...Why is he running away from them in the picture? in reality he would just cast epic-curb-stomp on them:smallbiggrin:

He's not running away. He's moving back so he can pull out his epic banhammer.

Hann
2009-12-10, 01:03 AM
Note the similar hat in the picture. I'm convinced Super-Mod was originally titled the Roland St Jude Story.

Kalaska'Agathas
2009-12-10, 01:08 AM

"Obey the forum rules if you want to live."?

DEG
2009-12-10, 01:10 AM
forgive the noob question, but where does the term six-gunned! come from? is it a pop culture reference?

Haven
2009-12-10, 01:38 AM
forgive the noob question, but where does the term six-gunned! come from? is it a pop culture reference?

He's a gunslinger. Gunslingers carry six-guns (guns that have six shots).

Anyway, I keep thinking this topic is a fanclub for Roland Itiative (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html).

Mariel Dragon
2009-12-10, 02:14 AM
Maybe we can get this locked by derailing the thread. Someting completely unrelated:

Do you think, Roy was morally justified in letting Belkar die by granting V ultimate arcane power?

Setra
2009-12-10, 02:18 AM
He's a gunslinger. Gunslingers carry six-guns (guns that have six shots).

Anyway, I keep thinking this topic is a fanclub for Roland Itiative (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html).
*blinks slowly*
I.. don't recall ever reading that specific strip before.. How could I have missed that?

Maybe I should read the whole thing from start to finish again

Conuly
2009-12-10, 02:36 AM
*blinks slowly*
I.. don't recall ever reading that specific strip before.. How could I have missed that?

Maybe I should read the whole thing from start to finish again

Always a good idea. Especially when you have an itchy posting finger and just want to ask... the forbidden question. (But I'm being good. I won't ask. I won't, I won't, I won't.)

skywalker
2009-12-10, 02:48 AM
That's actually possible (novel concept :smallwink:)... but wouldn't it be easier to just have two (or three, or four) mods with two (or however many) usernames?

Dude, you know, we tried that...

Generally, I would tell you guys when it seems most likely that he sleeps, but it is more fun to watch people glancing over their shoulder (and acting like it's sarcasm that they're scared. He's just a mod/admin, guys. Kinda like a cop. Don't do anything wrong and you can actually be friends and treat him like a human being. Do something little and silly wrong, and you can still be friends while writes your ticket. Take a shot at him? Why you gotta be silly like that?).

Anyway, it's not like it matters. He will see your "problem thread" eventually. It's not really a question of needing to get to it fast in most cases.

Mariel Dragon
2009-12-10, 03:20 AM
*blinks slowly*

The last sentence in your signature explains it.

Setra
2009-12-10, 03:28 AM
The last sentence in your signature explains it.
I don't know why but this made me burst out laughing.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm up to just before the Dirt Farmer Mini-Arc

Prowl
2009-12-10, 04:54 AM
Requests a medium sigh icon
Starts drinking heavily
Creates new accounts and bans them for fun
Writes more plot for his own "Guy with a Halberd" spin-off
Uses an alias to create an alignment argument thread
Demands a raise
Practices his "Dirty Harry" imitation
Edits his own Wikipedia article
Slyly provokes someone into posting a link to TVTropes
(add your own here)

i6uuaq
2009-12-10, 05:18 AM
Note the similar hat in the picture. I'm convinced Super-Mod was originally titled the Roland St Jude Story.

shush! you're betraying his secret identity!

Solaris
2009-12-10, 05:34 AM

I'd doubt that, considering I too have noted periods where he seems to not be around. Not many, though. I certainly wouldn't want his job.

factotum
2009-12-10, 07:44 AM
I already *have* his job (on another forum, admittedly) and no, you probably wouldn't want it... :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2009-12-10, 08:02 AM
Alrighty.. finished reading the archive from start to finish current... only took me about 6 hours, minus an hour or two from distractions anyways.

It would seem that was the only strip I had missed, but it was nice to refresh my memory of the rest of ... um.. I forgot my sentence.. I should probably be asleep by now..

TriForce
2009-12-10, 09:27 AM
i vote for the drinking heavy, if it doesnt work, you didnt drink enough

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 09:35 AM
Do Mods get paid for moderating, or is it a labour of love/excuse to wield unimaginable power from the safety of ones own home?

Just curious.

Ichneumon
2009-12-10, 09:38 AM
Do Mods get paid for moderating, or is it a labour of love/excuse to wield unimaginable power from the safety of ones own home?

Just curious.

He gets paid. A LOT.
The currency in "fun".

BRC
2009-12-10, 09:38 AM

Just curious.
Not directly, but Roland is currently writing a new-age internet thriller novel called "All Things in Moderation" about a forum moderator which he plans to use to make his fortune.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 09:40 AM
Not directly, but Roland is currently writing a new-age internet thriller novel called "All Things in Moderation" about a forum moderator which he plans to use to make his fortune.

Ah I should have known.

I thought he was some kind of Succubus type creature who survived off the fear of those on the forum.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-10, 09:43 AM

Considering that the brain dies after about 270 hours without sleep, I must ask where you got this one.

ScottishDragon
2009-12-10, 10:08 AM
Roland doesn't need to sleep anymore,so he could easily create that record.

Acero
2009-12-10, 10:21 AM
Requests a medium sigh icon -okay...
Starts drinking heavily-enjoy that
Creates new accounts and bans them for funnot a good idea
Writes more plot for his own "Guy with a Halberd" spin-offplease no
Uses an alias to create an alignment argument threadplease no
Demands a raisewhy not?
Practices his "Dirty Harry" imitationplease no
Edits his own Wikipedia articleokay..
Slyly provokes someone into posting a link to TVTropesplease no
(add your own here)

Keris
2009-12-10, 11:15 AM
Requests a medium sigh icon
We already have a regular sigh smiley.
:sigh:

DEG
2009-12-10, 11:34 AM
I vote for lose insanity and run "invisible" in the street, screaming about noobs and update threads.

TriForce
2009-12-10, 02:14 PM

11700 days is just over 32 years, meaning he would be without sleep longer then most of us have been alive..... the brain starts shutting itself down after staying awake too long, this starts after 32 hours, and after about 90 you have little chance of actually being consious anymore, 11700 isnt humanly possible at all, so wherever you got that one, its nonsense

Haven
2009-12-10, 02:16 PM
Alrighty.. finished reading the archive from start to finish current... only took me about 6 hours, minus an hour or two from distractions anyways.

It would seem that was the only strip I had missed, but it was nice to refresh my memory of the rest of ... um.. I forgot my sentence.. I should probably be asleep by now..

!

Sorry my offhand remark led you to doing that.

Zanaril
2009-12-10, 02:27 PM
11700 days is just over 32 years, meaning he would be without sleep longer then most of us have been alive..... the brain starts shutting itself down after staying awake too long, this starts after 32 hours, and after about 90 you have little chance of actually being consious anymore, 11700 isnt humanly possible at all, so wherever you got that one, its nonsense
Needless to say, such a person's sleeplessness is probably due to an abnormality. I think I have read about this somewhere else.

But yeah, most people can't say awake without going crazy.
I only managed three days before I started hallucinating. The worst part by far is that you lose any sense of 'today' and 'yesterday' and 'tomorrow'; eternity just seems to stretch out in all directions. Especially at four in the morning when you're sitting in front of your computer and no-one else in online. :smallannoyed:

Gamerlord
2009-12-10, 02:30 PM
Roland is a robot. That much is obvious. Either that or he can use the force to sense update threads.

Merry Christmas Roland...please don't force choke me :smalleek: .

Daefos
2009-12-10, 02:33 PM
I vote for lose insanity and run "invisible" in the street, screaming about noobs and update threads.

If you lost your insanity, you'd be less likely to do those things. :smalltongue:

silversaraph
2009-12-10, 02:44 PM
No idea if this was an accident, or something done for fun by roland, or I took the wrong medication, but is there another thread in the same forum that links to this one? Something about smallsighs?

Also, I think it's ridiculous how many people posted to this.

Zanaril
2009-12-10, 02:46 PM
No idea if this was an accident, or something done for fun by roland, or I took the wrong medication, but is there another thread in the same forum that links to this one? Something about smallsighs?
That one got merged with this one.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-10, 02:53 PM

http://www.thanhniennews.com/features/?catid=10&newsid=12673
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/2838949-man-goes-11700-nights-without-sleep
http://rparmanik.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/longest-period-without-sleep/

I'm not sure how reliable these are but I'm sure I can find more.

Ridureyu
2009-12-10, 02:57 PM
When Roland sleeps, does he dream of electronic sheep?

Silverraptor
2009-12-10, 03:51 PM
For some reason, this thread has inspired me to make some christmas comics starring Roland himself. When I have time of course.

Something to look forward to Roland.:smallwink:

Pronounceable
2009-12-10, 07:11 PM
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/2838949-man-goes-11700-nights-without-sleep

I feel the need to comment: This is bull****.

Edwin
2009-12-10, 07:20 PM

And yet, somehow, so funny. :smalltongue:

33 years without a night of sleep? The Sandman better bring out a bigger gun, I reckon.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-10, 07:22 PM

can you explain why you say that?

silversaraph
2009-12-10, 07:22 PM
And yet, somehow, so funny. :smalltongue:

33 years without a night of sleep? The Sandman better bring out a bigger gun, I reckon.

That's Roland too. It's a part time job.

Also, that's an unconfirmed source, as in he just claims that and there's been no testing. As I recall, there was a guy who claimed to live off the sun alone, and when they tested him, he said he needed pea soup for the photosynthesis, or something like that, yet he still hung on to credibility.

I'm not saying it's absolutely not true, just incredibly unlikely to live without a certain amount of REM sleep.

Unless you're Roland, of course. Obviously, isn't that the point of the thread?

Edwin
2009-12-10, 07:33 PM
That's Roland too. It's a part time job.

Also, that's an unconfirmed source, as in he just claims that and there's been no testing. As I recall, there was a guy who claimed to live off the sun alone, and when they tested him, he said he needed pea soup for the photosynthesis, or something like that, yet he still hung on to credibility.

I'm not saying it's absolutely not true, just incredibly unlikely to live without a certain amount of REM sleep.

Unless you're Roland, of course. Obviously, isn't that the point of the thread?

Wasn't there a vietnamese women who said she lived off a diet consisting exclusively of dirt? That was pretty wack, too.

silversaraph
2009-12-10, 07:38 PM
Actually, dirt eating is much more common than you'd think, just not for energy, but for minerals. Humans start to have weird cravings when they're missing essential vitamins/minerals, such as phosphorus and sulfur.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no8/03-0033.htm

Uh, Roland taking advantage of squirrels to lock threads has turned into people eating dirt.

Oh well, at least it's not Roland forcing squirrels to eat dirt.

i6uuaq
2009-12-10, 07:45 PM

I'm quite impressed that Thanh has set up his own news site. I understand it's a fairly good way to keep up morale among the resistance... anyway, since it's a paladin that published it, it must be true!

Half-blood
2009-12-10, 08:04 PM
no no no. Roland relies on the Uber-man sleep schedule (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720).
It also explains how a few bad threads can survive for more than a few minutes.

Ladorak
2009-12-10, 08:14 PM

This is a truly compelling counter argument, I have been won over, well done.

I mean there's an actual medical disorder recognised by health authorities that causes (In extreme cases) periods of wakefulness that can go on for months or, in one case, even years. (See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold-Chiari_malformation))

But you can say bull****, so you have my unswaying support.

Edwin
2009-12-10, 08:29 PM
Actually, dirt eating is much more common than you'd think, just not for energy, but for minerals. Humans start to have weird cravings when they're missing essential vitamins/minerals, such as phosphorus and sulfur.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no8/03-0033.htm

Uh, Roland taking advantage of squirrels to lock threads has turned into people eating dirt.

Oh well, at least it's not Roland forcing squirrels to eat dirt.

Sure, people eat all sorts of weird crap when they lack basic survival requisites. And for other reasons. There was a guy who ate an entire air plane over a couple of years. Yes, an airplane.

Anyway, this woman ate nothing but dirt, which is what I found weird. (or, most weird) :smallsmile:

silversaraph
2009-12-10, 08:50 PM
no no no. Roland relies on the Uber-man sleep schedule (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720).
It also explains how a few bad threads can survive for more than a few minutes.

Except that the person who did that is female.

Unfortunately, that's begging a "Roland is female debate".

Sure, people eat all sorts of weird crap when they lack basic survival requisites. And for other reasons. There was a guy who ate an entire air plane over a couple of years. Yes, an airplane.

People will do anything to get into "Ripley's believe it or not" or some other equivalent. When you hear something ridiculous like that, there's some 90% chance that that was the motive.

Hey, I can eat an airplane! I just have to crumple it after the folds are done... Oh WAIT...:smalltongue:

Edit: I'm keeping that last sentence for some reason, even though I just realized it wasn't funny.

Edwin
2009-12-10, 08:58 PM
Well the guy did make it into Guinness World records, so yeah..

mikeejimbo
2009-12-10, 09:02 PM
I think Roland outsources sleep by getting people to sleep extra for him.

Edit: After careful consideration I totally volunteer for this.

veti
2009-12-10, 10:44 PM
11700 days is just over 32 years, meaning he would be without sleep longer then most of us have been alive.....

Speak for yourself. And get off my lawn!

Damn kids...

Setra
2009-12-10, 11:00 PM
If a human being can eat a plane, then a human being can stay up for who knows how long without sleep.

All it requires is the right disorder, incidentally I wish I had that disorder... Well maybe not right now, I'm gonna be sleeping as much as I can the next week or so.. ugh my teeth

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-10, 11:47 PM
Would sleeping with one eye open and one hand on a mouse count? :smalltongue:

factotum
2009-12-11, 02:46 AM
All it requires is the right disorder, incidentally I wish I had that disorder... Well maybe not right now, I'm gonna be sleeping as much as I can the next week or so.. ugh my teeth

You can train yourself to need less sleep--my colleague at work usually manages on only 4 hours sleep a night. Not sure I could ever reduce my requirements that low, though!

Setra
2009-12-11, 03:09 AM
You can train yourself to need less sleep--my colleague at work usually manages on only 4 hours sleep a night. Not sure I could ever reduce my requirements that low, though!
The thing about sleep is, even if you get all the required 'rest' from the uberman sleep schedule (Which is 2 hours a day iirc), you also heal your body during regular sleep, and with as often as I get injured, I don't think I'd want to go without that.

silversaraph
2009-12-11, 03:40 PM
If this thread actually gets up to 100 posts, that would be RIDICULOUS.:smallyuk:

Edit: Oh, crap. It just did.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-11, 03:42 PM
If this thread actually gets up to 100 posts, that would be RIDICULOUS.:smallyuk:

Edit: Oh, crap. It just did.

You're lucky Roland's asleep or you'd be in troublllllllle :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-12-11, 03:49 PM
okay. the Human being eating a plane I believe is actually well documented. There are also other metal eaters.

doliest
2009-12-11, 03:51 PM
Of course Roland doesn't sleep; don't you know? He get's paid 87.50 per thread locked, he's losing money if he sleeps.

Mr. Mud
2009-12-11, 03:59 PM
Roland doesn't sleep; he waits. :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2009-12-11, 07:44 PM
How could I not see this before? O'Chul is based upon Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris figured out how to be Chuck Norris from Roland.

Vemynal
2009-12-11, 11:15 PM
I always presumed that Roland's account was accessed by multiple people who are supposed to moderate the forums at specific hours, shifts for the account if you will

skywalker
2009-12-12, 03:12 AM

The older a person gets, the less sleep they tend to need. True story.

I always presumed that Roland's account was accessed by multiple people who are supposed to moderate the forums at specific hours, shifts for the account if you will

No, and your assumption really doesn't give the man the credit he deserves.

Zeful
2009-12-12, 04:23 AM
I always assumed Roland simply Cloned himself and set them up in houses around the world (one in each timezone) so that he could moderate the forum 24/7. Every year they all buy a round trip ticket to the Bahamas, swap keys and live each other's lives for a year.

:smallconfused:...

Wait... that could have also been the plot to a fanfiction I read.

Eh. Whatever.

Finn Solomon
2009-12-12, 07:43 AM
Roland's a girl? That would be so totally hot.

Jaxon
2009-12-12, 08:32 AM
Except that the person who did that is female.

Actually it has been done by a number of people. In fact I started a few weeks ago, and I gotta say; IT'S FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

Asta Kask
2009-12-12, 02:23 PM
Isn't Roland on his way to the Dark Tower?

lio45
2009-12-12, 06:27 PM

I personally find the idea of a girl who's stuck sitting in front of a computer closely monitoring message boards 24/7 quite unappealing.

To each his own, I suppose.

silversaraph
2009-12-12, 08:49 PM

You, good sir, have just given me a migraine banging my face against the table.

Posts have been slowing down on this useless thread in the wrong section. Let it be a dumpoff for modified Chuck Norris and O-Chul quotes.

theinsulabot
2009-12-12, 09:35 PM

Posts have been slowing down on this useless thread in the wrong section. Let it be a dumpoff for modified Chuck Norris and O-Chul quotes.

oooh, ooh, i love chuck norris jokes, let me try one!

*ahem*

chuck norris is a washed up old has-been who ran out of money late in life and now does crappy, low budget, fitness adds on poorly rated, after hours cable tv channels!

M I DOIN IT RITE GAIZ??

silversaraph
2009-12-13, 08:14 AM
Nope. It's more like changing any chuck norris or O-Chul joke into a Roland one, just so everyone else can understand the awesome.

Finn Solomon
2009-12-13, 08:30 AM

I'm just saying man...a girl with a penchant for Western gunplay in a cowboy hat and boots...totally.

Ladorak
2009-12-13, 08:40 AM
chuck norris is a washed up old has-been who ran out of money late in life and now does crappy, low budget, fitness adds on poorly rated, after hours cable tv channels!

M I DOIN IT RITE GAIZ??

Yes, oh yes, you are so doing it right.

Setra
2009-12-13, 11:09 AM
Yes, oh yes, you are so doing it right.
Hating on Chuck Norris jokes is already as annoying as the jokes themselves you know.

All the cool kids hate the hating of the hate :smallcool:

Asta Kask
2009-12-14, 06:16 AM
Why, man, he doth bestride the forum world
Like a Colossus, and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonourable graves.

theinsulabot
2009-12-14, 08:36 AM
Hating on Chuck Norris jokes is already as annoying as the jokes themselves you know.

All the cool kids hate the hating of the hate :smallcool:

nah, see somethings in this world are have reached a level of pointlessness and stupidity that it never stops being ok to mock them. like mullets. or the KKK. chuck norris jokes have reached that level

Setra
2009-12-14, 08:54 AM
nah, see somethings in this world are have reached a level of pointlessness and stupidity that it never stops being ok to mock them. like mullets. or the KKK. chuck norris jokes have reached that level
Except there is a point to them, people find amusement in it, and it doesn't hurt anyone.

If you dislike them, ignore them. I hate Christmas music because I hear it constantly two months straight every year, while I may complain about it, I won't mock it, I just get good at tuning it out.. and it's a LOT harder to tune out Christmas music.

theinsulabot
2009-12-14, 09:01 AM
why ignore peacefully what you can mock mercilessly? especially since there are enough people who recognize that Chuck Norris jokes are as obsolete and used up as he himself is, that i usually get at least as many compliments on that bit then i do negative remarks. so its entertaining to, in its own way

Setra
2009-12-14, 09:30 AM
why ignore peacefully what you can mock mercilessly?
I'd come up with an answer to this, but that would assume humans are good.

I am a realist.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-14, 09:51 AM
Almost back on topic, I'd say the random banter may end up with this thread being locked once Roland awakes....if he ever sleeps that it :smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-14, 10:52 AM
He obviously doesn't sleep, except powernaps during the daily forum back-up.

Hurkyl
2009-12-14, 11:10 AM
He obviously doesn't sleep, except powernaps during the daily forum back-up.
I knew it seemed odd that it would have to bring the forum off-line every day... it all makes sense now....

Ladorak
2009-12-14, 12:43 PM
Except there is a point to them, people find amusement in it, and it doesn't hurt anyone.

By your own argument you cannot fault the mocking of Chuck Norris jokes, assuming someone laughed (And I did).

Speaking for myself, my objection to Chuck Norris memes is similar to my objection to a number of means, including 'That's what she said.' 'So's your face.' 'Your momma's (Repeat whatever was just said).'

My objection is more philosophical then comical, heavily influenced by Plato. To put it simply every man is an island in his own thoughts, totally isolated until outside contact in the form of personal experience or conversation changes his perspective. If no one ever spoke to you and nothing ever happened to you you could be forgiven for thinking that, for example, the Sun orbited the Earth, or that members of a certain ethnic group or inheritable wrong, assuming that was something that was taught to you in the distant past. After all, how would you know better?

So it is by communication that we better ourselves, through reasoned discourse our existing views are challenged, we can test out our own viewpoints on external thinkers, we can learn of other viewpoints we never would have thought of otherwise. A thousand minds will find more flaws in an argument then one.

Now, assuming there is some universal truth (And being a realist, this will be an assumption for you, so try to think of it metaphorically) every false viewpoint that is cast aside brings us closer to the truth. And therefore betters us. It should be highlighted that this happens constantly in conversation.

Now memes which are automatic (Such as 'That's what she said' and to a lesser extent the 'Chuck Norris could...' line) take that self improvement out back and shoot it in the face. Chuck Norris jokes are retarding the social development of a series desperately in need of said development

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-14, 02:03 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Say goodnight, Gracie.