PDA

View Full Version : Norway Phenomenon

golentan
2009-12-09, 08:40 PM
So, if you haven't heard the news already, you can get a summary here. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/09/norway-spiral-watch-stran_n_386281.html)

Strange lights in the sky, a spiral of light, just before an event that's an international symbol of hope...

It's a lagann!!!

Okay, seriously I'm most inclined to believe the failed rocket test explanation. But I'm sort of hoping it's aliens. Just because the other week Britain closed down their UFO hotline because "the official position of the British government is there aren't aliens."

SurlySeraph
2009-12-09, 08:51 PM
Hey, anything that raises the possibility that Metal Wolf Chaos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8) might come true is a good thing in my eyes.

Kneenibble
2009-12-09, 09:19 PM
In some videos, it looks heavenly and strange, as if a portal to the crystal towers of the machine elves got opened. In other videos it just looks like smoke.

I'm going to keep an eye on what the conspiracy folks have to say about it, and believe that -- since the most interesting and fantastical explanation ought to be true.

Serpentine
2009-12-09, 10:05 PM
I don't know what it is (though it does look like what an out of control rocket might do), but it's purdy.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-09, 10:24 PM
In some videos, it looks heavenly and strange, as if a portal to the crystal towers of the machine elves got opened. In other videos it just looks like smoke.

I'm going to keep an eye on what the conspiracy folks have to say about it, and believe that -- since the most interesting and fantastical explanation ought to be true.

First thing I've found:

This is the opening of the atmospheric release valve that purges "greenhouse" gases periodically to regulate our climate. I saw it in a hacked email that was marked for deletion.

They don't want anyone to know about this little naturally-occurring phenomenon.

(from here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html)).

Jacklu
2009-12-09, 10:55 PM
We interrupt this thread to present you with stunning new evidence in this case. Here, for the first time anywhere, is a transcript of a conversation caught on a security feed in an undisclosed military research facility near where the spiral light was sighted, moments before the phenomenon started:

Unknown Male 1: Are you sure we are alowed to do this? I mean, we could be fired...

Unknown Male 2: Dude, its a freakin jet pack! Who cares if we get fired??? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

UM1: I don't know...

UM2: Don't wimp out on me now, man. Lets light this sucker up!

UM1: Fine... Fine. But how do we know it will even work, I mean, this is only in the test stages, isn't it?

UM2: Hey, a monkey flew it last week. I think you can fly it at least as good as a trained monkey.

UM1: Yeah, I guess...

*Faint rising whining noise*

UM1: Um... the controls aren't responding... Dude! The controls aren't- *indistinguishable behind sudden roaring noise*

*Sound of something crashing*

*Loud laughter, presumably coming from UM2*

*feed ends*

Coidzor
2009-12-09, 11:05 PM
No not a discussion of seeing dirty(or otherwise coherent) shapes/things in otherwise random structures such as geography, smoke, the stars.

Darn.

Interesting occurence though...

reorith
2009-12-09, 11:08 PM
the stars are right. is anyone else ready for the ascension of R'yleh? brb von däniken.

ApeofLight
2009-12-09, 11:32 PM
I don't really get it. I mean we have things like the aurora borealis (aka The Nothern Lights) but as soon as one new phenomenon pops up, it's aliens. Why can't people get it right. All things seen in the sky are actually portals to other dimensions. Like the sun, not actually a ball of fire, its actually where we get our daily supply of oxygen for the earth.

Serpentine
2009-12-10, 04:47 AM
brb von däniken.Don't crash your chariot.

thubby
2009-12-10, 06:02 AM
a meteor maybe? those things can look pretty weird.

for that matter, what would cause a camera to create a swirling effect like that?

UnChosenOne
2009-12-10, 06:21 AM
Heard that it's just result of a failed russian missile experiement.

Eldan
2009-12-10, 07:00 AM
for that matter, what would cause a camera to create a swirling effect like that?

Mounting it on a carrousel and spinning it in a circle?

Nameless
2009-12-10, 07:31 AM
Spiralling lights in Norway? Looks like nature is up to her ol’ tricks again.
Cheeky bugger. :3

golentan
2009-12-10, 02:06 PM
a meteor maybe? those things can look pretty weird.

I was told that it wasn't an artifact of the camera by my friends in norway who alerted me to the fact. Giant, swirling light (larger than the moon), appears in the sky and vanished.

Like I said, the current explanation is an unstable rocket. Like some of the early, unmanned nasa launches (32 bit guidance on 16 bit controls. 17 point course correction and... whoops! If you know what happens when you have a maximum value in computer science, I'm sure you can figure out the rest).

So that's what I'm going with. But I still like the Lagann explanation, not least because it gives us ANOTHER excuse to bomb the moon. (Sorry phase)

Erloas
2009-12-10, 03:00 PM
According to this link (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Russia-Rocket-Norway-Spiral-Lights,news-5310.html) the Russian government did confirm that it was a failed rocket attempt.

rayne_dragon
2009-12-10, 03:37 PM
I'll admit I'm not up to date on my rocket science, but if that's what it is, how come it's blue? I'm not saying it can't be a rocket, I'd just really like to know why it's a different colour than I'd expect for one.

Erloas
2009-12-10, 03:42 PM
I'll admit I'm not up to date on my rocket science, but if that's what it is, how come it's blue? I'm not saying it can't be a rocket, I'd just really like to know why it's a different colour than I'd expect for one.

What color would you expect it to be? If it were red or orange it would mean its not very hot, and white is possible but maybe too hot. Blue is a common color for flames because the color changes based on temperature.

FinalJustice
2009-12-10, 04:05 PM
I did take the week off to sharpen my swords, clean my guns and generally have a nice time with my arsenal, just in case.

Flickerdart
2009-12-10, 04:20 PM
I did take the week off to sharpen my swords, clean my guns and generally have a nice time with my arsenal, just in case.
Why, to cut down the missiles when they come? Now you're thinking with Spirals!

Jacklu
2009-12-10, 08:06 PM
The question nobody seems to be asking is why Russia was firing missiles at Norway.

A joke, people. I'm still throwing my vote in with jetpacks.

dangerprawn
2009-12-10, 08:36 PM
I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

thubby
2009-12-10, 09:04 PM
I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

i prefer to welcome such guests with lead.

Jimorian
2009-12-11, 02:29 AM
i prefer to welcome such guests with lead.

Good choice, that's their favorite snack.

kpenguin
2009-12-11, 02:51 AM
That's pretty cool. Those lucky Norwegians...