PDA

View Full Version : Warlock questions

Demons_eye
2009-12-09, 09:00 PM
If you are a Illumian warlock and have the improved Krau (magic) Sigil what happens? I know it says you can not use meta magic on your EB but the Sigil says that it is effected as if it was under the heighten spell.

Can you take craft feats?

If you take a PrC that advances spellcasting that advances warlocks EB and Invokes right?

Is hideous blow a trap and if so how else can I get it as a melee weapon?

Maybe more to come.

Edit: Does far shot work with EB?

Ryuuk
2009-12-09, 09:03 PM
I'm only really sure about Hideous Blow. Yes, it's a trap, and yes, there is a better invocation for melee. Look for Eldritch Glaive, I think it's in Dragon Magic. It acts a a reach weapon that gets iterative attacks, although there's no base weapon damage, just pure eldritch blast.

Crafty Cultist
2009-12-09, 09:09 PM
Warlocks can take craft feats but cannot create magic items that requirespells until 12th level

They do get an increase in EB/ invocations from caster boosting prestige classes.

Not sure about the illumian sigils

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-09, 10:02 PM
Warlocks can take craft feats but cannot create magic items that requirespells until 12th level

This is only partially true. Before Warlock 12, they can't create magic items that require spells without someone else providing said spell. In such a case, the warlock would still be spending all of his time, money, and XP creating the item (Although, to be fair, I do think an FAQ, errata, or one of the later "core" books clarified that you could split the XP cost any way you like among people involved).

Master_Rahl22
2009-12-09, 10:28 PM
Eldritch Blast doesn't have a range increment, it just has a range. Far Shot will not work with it. Grab the Eldritch Spear blast shape if you want range.

Tokiko Mima
2009-12-09, 11:08 PM
If you are a Illumian warlock and have the improved Krau (magic) Sigil what happens? I know it says you can not use meta magic on your EB but the Sigil says that it is effected as if it was under the heighten spell.

The Improved Sigil (Krau) feat asks you to choose a number of spells to effect. Since a warlock doesn't know any spells, this feat is useless for a warlock. The Krau racial sigil itself increases the warlocks caster level for the purposes of item creation feats, spell resistance rolls, and any level dependent effects on Invocations.

You can use metamagic feats on your Eldritch Blast, but it has to be metamagic specifically for SLA's. For example, Quicken Spell-Like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability feats from MMI are fantastic for warlocks.

Can you take craft feats?

Yes, your Invocation caster level is as good as any caster level. You will have to find a way to get the spells needed to actually craft the items, or at least you will until you get your 12th level class ability.

If you take a PrC that advances spellcasting that advances warlocks EB and Invokes right?

Yes, as long as it advances arcane spellcasting, or any spellcasting. Remember that Invocations do not count as spells, so you don't qualify for classes that require 'Ability to cast Xth level spells' as prerequisites.

Is hideous blow a trap and if so how else can I get it as a melee weapon?

It is. The great thing about Eldritch Blast is that it's a touch attack. If you use Hideous Blow it becomes a regular attack roll, which is much worse. In addition, you can only use Hideous Blow as a Standard Action, and it's still an SLA; you provoke AoO's unless you make a Concentration check, and it can be disrupted.

You cannot use Hideous Blow as a full attack, and the weapon damage is minimal compared to the increased miss chance. If you wish to use your Eldritch Blast in melee, Eldritch Glaive from Dragon magic is ideal once your BAB allows a second attack. You won't be able to add weapon damage, but that's incidental compared to the bonus of doing Eldritch blast damage several times in a round.

Maybe more to come.

Not the Feat, no. The Feat only effects projectile weapons, not SLA's. However, you might look into Complete Mage and see about buying Horizon Goggles, which have the same effect, but specifically do work for SLA's.

nekomata2
2009-12-09, 11:11 PM
This is only partially true. Before Warlock 12, they can't create magic items that require spells without someone else providing said spell. In such a case, the warlock would still be spending all of his time, money, and XP creating the item (Although, to be fair, I do think an FAQ, errata, or one of the later "core" books clarified that you could split the XP cost any way you like among people involved).

This article (http://http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a) from WoTC has a few different way of splitting the costs.

gorfnab
2009-12-10, 02:24 AM
I would suggest reading through this for more insights on the Warlock: Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-10, 04:59 AM
If you are a Illumian warlock and have the improved Krau (magic) Sigil what happens? I know it says you can not use meta magic on your EB but the Sigil says that it is effected as if it was under the heighten spell. It'll do nothing at all, because it is a Spell-Like Ability, not a spell

Can you take craft feats? Yes. In fact, a Warlock12/Chameleon2 is the ultimate crafter, because he can make Spellcraft checks for the spells, and use the floating feat from Chameleon2 for the item creation feat required.

If you take a PrC that advances spellcasting that advances warlocks EB and Invokes right? Yes, but qualifying may be difficult since you don't cast x level spells

Is hideous blow a trap and if so how else can I get it as a melee weapon? Yes, it is. Use Eldritch Glaive instead.

Maybe more to come.

No, but Precise Shot does.

taltamir
2009-12-10, 05:04 AM
the warlock can also use UMD and a scroll / wand to provide the spell for crafting. Crafting rules allow use of scrolls.