PDA

View Full Version : [v3.5] Do spells target bodies or souls?

Ravingdork
2009-12-09, 09:04 PM
If I am in someone else's body via a magic jar spell, then cast death throes (Spell Compendium) on the body, and then coup de grace myself (or get killed by an attacking enemy) does the death throes spell activate? The body clearly dies, freeing the original soul to the afterlife, but I don't (technically) die as my soul goes back to the magic jar. So does this work since the target of the spell (the body) dies? Or does it not work, since I was the target and I (technically) didn't die.

In other words, does magic target the soul of a person, or their body? For the purposes of targeted effects, which one is considered me? If I had ongoing effects already cast on me, then I took a body via magic jar or some similar effect, would those ongoing spell effects follow me into the new body as well?

If spells stay with the body, then a pre-cast death throes may well activate the moment I cast magic jar (since my body then becomes lifeless).

If they follow me into the new body, then I can use death throes over and over again with near impunity.

Skeletor
2009-12-09, 09:06 PM
Positive it's body death that matters, not souls moving on etc etc.

erikun
2009-12-09, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure if it matters in this case, as either way, you have died (been reduced to -10 HP). Just because Magic Jar keeps you from passing on doesn't mean you haven't died.

Taking a quick look at the spell:

"If the host body is slain, you return to the magic jar, if within range, and the life force of the host departs (it is dead). If the host body is slain beyond the range of the spell, both you and the host die. Any life force with nowhere to go is treated as slain."

In this case, 'slain' clearly means dying.

Fizban
2009-12-09, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna say you don't have line of sight or line of effect to a soul.

bosssmiley
2009-12-10, 07:40 AM
Consult your DM. It's his game you're inflicting these shenanigans on, so you have to abide by his ruling on the matter. What we internet ghost-people think is naught but dust and air next to the iron word of your DM. :smallamused:

Optimystik
2009-12-10, 08:18 AM
In other words, does magic target the soul of a person, or their body? For the purposes of targeted effects, which one is considered me? If I had ongoing effects already cast on me, then I took a body via magic jar or some similar effect, would those ongoing spell effects follow me into the new body as well?

Most spells that act on a soul target the body (like Soul Bind.)

Consult your DM. It's his game you're inflicting these shenanigans on, so you have to abide by his ruling on the matter. What we internet ghost-people think is naught but dust and air next to the iron word of your DM. :smallamused:

Any seasoned roleplayer knows they are not limited by the rulebooks. Anything is possible as long as they can justify it to the DM. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=740)

Ravingdork
2009-12-10, 11:46 AM
Anyone else care to weigh in?

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-10, 12:28 PM
I'd say spells target the body, unless they state otherwise.