PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rate these three races

Thurbane
2009-12-09, 10:25 PM
Just idle curiosity, how would you rank these 3 races in terms of overall power/usefulness:

Drow (MM) LA +2
Half-ogre (RoD) LA +2
Karsite (ToM) LA +2

...obviously, they are suited to different classes, but generally, how would you rank them? Which do the most to earn their +2 LA?

Anonanimal
2009-12-09, 10:34 PM
Hmm. Well, Drow certainly does the least. Karsite and Half-Ogre are probably fairly balanced against each other.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-09, 10:36 PM
Yeah, Drow just have... decent bonuses to their stats, and SR. Their spell-like abilities are nothing to write home about. I'd say Drow as +1 LA is pretty fair, actually.

Half-Ogres are on the stronger side of LA+2. They are beastly things. Much better than playing a straight Ogre. Scary in gestalt.

Karsite... I'd have to dust off ToM. If I recall, they're better than Drow. Not as immediately scary as a Half-Ogre, though.

HCL
2009-12-09, 11:27 PM
Half ogre - strong for melee

drow - generally bad

karsite - so so

assuming LA buy off

awa
2009-12-10, 12:02 AM
ill second the mention that the drow are weak. Their powers have no real synergy they get bonuses to mental stats, but casters should avoid them like the plague due to the level adjustment. The added range on the dark vision just doesn't come up often enough. Their spell like abbilities just aren't very useful especial at high level. Hand cross bows are lousy weapons inferior to long bows.
They get a bonus to will saves from certain things but the two lost levels would be better for your saves in the long run. All they have of real value is the spell resistance.

Temotei
2009-12-10, 12:03 AM
All they have of real value is the spell resistance.

Which makes the race even worse for casters.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-10, 12:03 AM
ill second the mention that the drow are weak. Their powers have no real synergy they get bonuses to mental stats, but casters should avoid them like the plague due to the level adjustment. The added range on the dark vision just doesn't come up often enough. Their spell like abbilities just aren't very useful especial at high level. Hand cross bows are lousy weapons inferior to long bows.
They get a bonus to will saves from certain things but the two lost levels would be better for your saves in the long run. All they have of real value is the spell resistance.

....And then spell resistance isn't all that valuable to begin with, especially at higher levels.:smallsigh:

erikun
2009-12-10, 12:09 AM
Note that the reason Half-Ogre are good is because they're good at melee. Their high Strength and reach give them a big benefit, generally making up for the +2 BAB loss and bonus abilities from class.

Drow, reguardless of their abilities, aren't going to make up for the 2 lost caster levels (which is what they're generally geared towards). It's really difficult to compare the two to each other, as they generally won't be using the same classes.

I'm not familiar with the Karsite.

Myrmex
2009-12-10, 02:00 AM
What does RoD Half-Ogre have going for it? +8 str or something? Losing 2 HD is pretty rough.

The Karsite looks pretty bad. I could see it getting some use in niche builds, but that +2 LA is rough and doesn't net you anything that progresses any classes you would want to take. I would give it LA +1.

Which makes the race even worse for casters.

No; it makes the race worse for anyone who's not a caster. Casters automatically overcome their own SR when targeting themselves with spells. To be the recipient of spells not cast by yourself, you have to spend a standard action lowering your spell resistance.

dsmiles
2009-12-10, 05:45 AM
Personally, big fan of the half-ogre. (Get it...big fan? Big...awwwww...you guys are no fun.)

Akisa
2009-12-10, 05:53 AM
All they have of real value is the spell resistance.

Actually they're more of a burden then a value. Generally opponents you face will tend to have a higher caster then your HD or your allies caster levels. Also it would mean you might not receive that crucial buff or heal thanks to your spell resistance. Generally in my opinion it's something tacked on that should lower the race's power.

Partysan
2009-12-10, 09:34 AM
Drow can be ok as skirmishers. A dex-int build works for them, like Daring Outlaw, or ToB is nice as well. The SLAs are not too great, but darkness can help you catching someone off guard and faerie fire is nice against invisible enemies if you are not a caster.
Especially in a solo campaign or a campaign with few players the charisma becomes more useful since you won't have a dedicated party face, and without party casters the SR is a lot better as well, and you don't have to worry about lowering for buffs.

I'm not saying Drow are great, and they should definitely be LA+1 but there is a certain niche for them. Unfortunately it's a very Drizztly one.

Mongoose87
2009-12-10, 09:40 AM
I'm not saying Drow are great, and they should definitely be LA+1 but there is a certain niche for them. Unfortunately it's a very Drizztly one.

Hey, now, they don't have to be Drizzt. All glory to the Spider Queen!

Grumman
2009-12-10, 09:56 AM
Hey, now, they don't have to be Drizzt. All glory to the Spider Queen!
I agree. Personally, I think that self-reliance and an unwillingness to lower their SR to receive "buffs" or "healing" (read: Disintegrates) would be quite in character for any drow that actually spent any meaningful amount of time among the drow.