PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Light Blindness...

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:16 PM
"Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area."

The word abrupt confuses me. Could you, over the course of a week, or even longer adjust a Drow's eyes to sunlight? The change wouldn't be 'abrupt'...

Temotei
2009-12-09, 11:26 PM
Abrupt is really subjective. I would rule that for the first round the drow is exposed to sunlight, they're blinded, but then they're dazzled. You could always do what R.A. Salvatore did for Drizzt Do'Urden. The drow would stare at the sun every sunrise to "cleanse" himself, and to hopefully distance himself even more from his kin. He never got perfectly used to the sun, but he was far more comfortable than other drow.

erikun
2009-12-09, 11:34 PM
I read "abrupt" to mean "suddenly exposes to it for within one round." If a drow saw a Sunbeam in the middle of a forest and moved towards it, they wouldn't be exposed to it abruptly and wouldn't be blinded. Also, being awake in morning hours wouldn't blind them, as the change from night > dawn > day is gradual.

If they were sleeping in a cave and stepped out into the morning sun, though, they would be temporarily blinded.

Also, there is a feat for overcoming Light Blindness, for those characters who, over the years, do try to get their eyes used to sunlight.

Temotei
2009-12-09, 11:35 PM
I read "abrupt" to mean "suddenly exposes to it for within one round." If a drow saw a Sunbeam in the middle of a forest and moved towards it, they wouldn't be exposed to it abruptly and wouldn't be blinded. Also, being awake in morning hours wouldn't blind them, as the change from night > dawn > day is gradual.

If they were sleeping in a cave and stepped out into the morning sun, though, they would be temporarily blinded.

Also, there is a feat for overcoming Light Blindness, for those characters who, over the years, do try to get their eyes used to sunlight.

Yeah, that.

Zovc
2009-12-09, 11:38 PM
I wonder if adjusting them would make them lose their darkvision? Seems like it would (not necessarily permanently), but I guess I'm just used to my eyes having to adjust to stuff.

Temotei
2009-12-09, 11:58 PM
I wonder if adjusting them would make them lose their darkvision? Seems like it would (not necessarily permanently), but I guess I'm just used to my eyes having to adjust to stuff.

Going to the literature again, Drizzt had his darkvision eventually blurred to the point of blindness. That's probably what he got for not having the feat.

Tiki Snakes
2009-12-10, 12:10 AM
Going to the literature again, Drizzt had his darkvision eventually blurred to the point of blindness. That's probably what he got for not having the feat.

Or, you know.
For staring at the Sun a lot?

Temotei
2009-12-10, 12:20 AM
Or, you know.
For staring at the Sun a lot?

That too. Let's go with both.

Crafty Cultist
2009-12-10, 01:44 AM
Just wear sundark goggles

gorfnab
2009-12-10, 02:06 AM
Or take the feat Daylight Adaptation (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Daylight_Adaptation)

Grumman
2009-12-10, 05:30 AM
Or destroy the sun!

...yeah, Sundark Goggles work too.

BenTheJester
2009-12-10, 08:18 AM
Dragonborn of Bahamut works too.

Although you can forget about all your class features(except the stats)