PDA

View Full Version : So, Steeldance. [3.5]

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 01:26 AM
It's just one of those spells that I've never really payed attention to until I sat down and read it today. It's interesting, if not particularly amazing. I have this mental image of a gish wading into combat with a dozen greatswords whirling through the air slashing at anything that comes close. As is, that would seem a pretty massive waste of actions to animate that many on a regular basis, to say nothing of the squandered spell slots.

So, a question.

Aside from lugging around and then animating a pair of Colossal+++ greatswords for each encounter, which seems to be against the spirit if not the letter of the spell, are there any respectable ways to make something decent* out of one or two castings of the spell?

*Boilerplate disclaimer acknowledging the inferiority of hp damage as a means of accomplishing things goes here. Extend disclaimer to include gishes in general if you're feeling uppity tonight and plan on starting another Wizards vs X debacle.

Myrmex
2009-12-10, 02:24 AM
I think the most efficacious way to have them do anything interesting is to be Giant Sized when you cast that spell.

Whirling Blade has a better wording that lets you stack all kinds of craziness on your weapons, and then use shape spell to blast in novel ways.

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 02:42 AM
Eh. Might as well just buy the larger swords at the get-go then. :smallwink:

Some sort of cheese to persist the spell a couple times + Brilliant Aura?

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-10, 02:45 AM
I love Steeldance. One of the best uses for it is to trick the enemy into thinking your something other than a squishy caster, like a twf ranger.

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 02:46 AM
Disguise yourself as a solar and pretend to have its dancing sword?

I know I'd run if I saw it. :smallwink:

Myrmex
2009-12-10, 02:49 AM
The spell is, strangely, a Medium ranged one, despite it targeting what you hold in your hands. I guess just use incantatrix, eh? Persist a crapton of those low level spells that add bonus damage on them, like Dolorous Blow, Blades of Fire, Sonic Weapon, and Weapon of Energy.