PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mystic Cobra Form [Discipline] show those polearms some lovin'

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 03:18 AM
I've begun working on my pole-arm focused Martial discipline. This is in conjunction with my martial version of the Sohei. Which can be found here:
Martial Sohei (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7465208#post7465208)

I'll be posting sets of maneuvers as I finish them.

Mystic Cobra
Mystic Cobra maneuvers are swift and deadly much like the lunging strike of the snakes for which the style is named. The naginata (glaive), guisarme, halberd, ransuer, spear and long-spear are the preferred weapons of the Mystic Cobra discipline. The long reach and piercing capabilities of these weapons make them ideal for the in and out strikes favored by Mystic Cobra practitioners. Balance is the key skill for Mystic Cobra allowing the initiator to stay poised while shifting his weight in swift, lunging strikes. Mystic Cobra maneuvers are only usable by Sohei unless you take the Martial Study feat.

For your viewing pleasure Levels 1 and 2!

Level 1
Coiled Bite (stance) - can use a reach weapon in close combat
Uncoiled Strike (strike) - swiftly move in and out of range while attacking
Quick Set (counter) - instantly set pole-arm against a charge

Level 2
Serpent Scales (boost) - gain immediate bonus to AC and Escape artist checks
Deep Fang Lunge (strike) - drive your weapon deeply into an opponent
Guarding the Nest (counter) - use AoO to stop enemies movement

Level 3
Flashing Frenzy (stance) - gain one extra attack at full BAB
Green Asp Strike (strike) - deal 4d6 extra damage and daze enemy
Spitting Cobra Spray(strike) - ranged touch attack deals acid damage, blinds enemies

Level 4
Penetrating Fang Lunge (strike) - rip at your opponent as you quickly move in and out
Dance of the Striking Cobra (boost) - dance through combat with consummate skill

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 03:27 AM
Levels 1 through 4 Expanded Maneuvers.

Level 1

Coiled Bite
Mystic Cobra (Stance)
Level: Sohei 1
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Duration: Stance

You have mastered using a pole-arm in close combat. With a quick shifting of your hands your range alters significantly.

While in this stance your reach weapons lose their reach function but can be used on enemies which would normally be inside your effective threat.

Uncoiled Strike
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One creature

With a sudden blinding move you lunge forward attack, and retreat too quickly for your opponent to act.

As part of this maneuver make a Balance check with a DC equal to your enemies Initiative Modifier +10. If the check succeeds you make a five-foot step to bring your enemy into range and a make normal attack with your Int Modifier as a damage bonus. You may then step back into your previous position. Using this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you fail the check you may still attack but without the damage bonus and you incur attacks of opportunity normally.

Quick Set
Mystic Cobra (Counter)
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action
Target: One Weapon

Charging enemies are surprised to find you ready for them.

You are so familiar with the basic traits of pole-arms that you can instantly set your weapon against a charge. Use this maneuver anytime a enemy charges you. Your weapon counts as set against the charge and does the appropriate extra damage as a result. You must be wielding a weapon which can be set against a charge to use this maneuver.

Level 2

Serpent Scales
Mystic Cobra (Boost)
Level: Sohei 2
Target: You
Duration: End of turn

Your skin seems to harden and your form subtly shift as you slip away from your opponent.

When you activate this boost you gain a +10 to Escape Artist checks and a Natural Armor bonus of +2 as your skin appears to become scaly for a quick moment. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Guarding the Nest
Mystic Cobra (Counter)
Level: Sohei 3
Target: One Creature

You've learned how to use your chosen weapon as a barrier to impede the movement of your enemies.

Use this counter when an enemy would provoke an attack of opportunity by moving through your threat zone. Instead of your normal attack of opportunity make a melee touch attack, if this attack is successful you stop your opponents movement in the square from which the attack of opportunity was provoked.

Deep Fang Lunge
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 2

You stab your enemy deeply and then twist the blade adding insult to injury.

As part of this maneuver make a single standard attack for this attack treat your weapon as if it had both the wounding and keen weapon enchantments. The effects of the maneuver do not stack with similar effects of any kind.

Level 3

Flashing Frenzy
Mystic Cobra (Stance)

You have learned how to distract and unbalance your foes with quick slashes and thrusts in rapid succession.

When you take a full attack action with a reach weapon (or a halberd), while in this stance you gain one extra attack at your full BAB, without penalty.

Green Asp Strike
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 full round action

You channel the might of your inner spirit into one mighty thrust, leaving your opponent dazed in your wake

As part of this maneuver make a Balance check with a DC equal to the targets AC and a single attack at your highest BAB. You deal 4d6 extra damage and if you passed the Balance check your opponent must save on a Fortitude save equal to DC 13 + your Wis modifier or be Dazed for 3 rounds.

Spitting Cobra Spray
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Range: 15 ft.

You make a strange hacking sound followed by a sibilant hiss and you spray a stream of venom into your enemies face. The sounds he makes are even less pleasant.

As part of this maneuver make a ranged touch attack, if this attack succeeds you deal 2d4 acid damage and the target makes a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 13 + your Wis modifier. If the target fails their save they are blinded for the remainder of the round. At the beginning of each round after they make another Fortitude save with a cumulative bonus of +2 per round, as soon as they make a save the effect ends. This maneuver does not provoke an attack of opportunity from its target but otherwise provokes attacks of opportunity normally.
This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Level 4

Penetrating Fang Lunge
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 4

You step forward plunging your weapon into his insides then pull back violently tearing at his insides.

As part of this maneuver make a Balance check with a DC equal to your enemies Initiative Modifier +10. If the check succeeds you make a five-foot step to bring your enemy into range and a make normal attack with your Int Mod as a damage bonus, treat your weapon as if it had both the wounding and keen weapon enchantments for this attack. The effects of the maneuver do not stack with similar effects of any kind. You may then step back into your previous position. Using this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you fail the check you may still attack but without the damage bonus and you incur attacks of opportunity normally.

Dance of the Striking Cobra
Mystic Cobra (Boost)
Level: Sohei 4
Duration: End of Turn

You move across the battlefield seamlessly combining attacks and blocks, the haft of your weapon providing protection and reach simultaneously.

Through endless practice at complicated sequences of movement you have learned how to both move and fight simultaneously changing footing and striking opponents almost as if it were a dance.
This round you can make a move action and a full attack simultaneously. You cannot attack more than twice from the same square, you must move and attack.
As part of this maneuver make a Balance check with a DC equal to 10 + your BAB. If you succeed your movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity and you ignore difficult terrain this round.

Eldan
2009-12-10, 03:42 AM
For Coiled Bite, you should specify what you mean by giving up five feet of reach: while in the stance, can you automatically threaten adjacent enemies, but lose reach for as long as you are in the stance, can you do it for one strike and lose reach for a turn, or some other mechanic? I assume the first, but it's not entirely clear.

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 07:49 PM
New wording for coiled bite is as follows:

"While in this stance your reach weapons can be used to attack opponents adjacent to you, but not as reach weapons."

alchemyprime
2009-12-11, 01:43 AM
Shyftir:

Two things.

1. When you are done, would you mind if I incorperated this into my warlord class (a martial marshal type) for Prime20?

2. Over in Prime20, I added in Gobbos and Hobgoblins just for yous.

But seriously, I think a polearm martial discipline is a great idea. And I think would fit my warlord well. Please?

elliott20
2009-12-11, 01:56 AM
and of course, as soon as this is done, it's going RIGHT into the Tob Netbook.

Shyftir
2009-12-11, 04:38 AM
I'm okay with both of those things, and level 3 should come tomorrow, and will include at least one stance and two strikes (haven't decided on boost or counter for the 4th maneuver)

Eldan
2009-12-11, 10:37 AM
Well, let me make some suggestions:

With polearms, you can generally do Haft strikes... give them the ability to make a second blow, dealing bludgeoning damage. Though that's not worth a third level maneuver, I think. Maybe as a boost, in combination with other maneuvers. Perhaps if you allowed the haft strike and the normal one as a boost, in one single attack action with another maneuver.

As a boost, perhaps a block move with the haft? Could work, I think. A small shield bonus against one attack.

Shyftir
2009-12-12, 01:45 PM
things are a bit busy this weekend will try to get this up by Monday night, I was thinking the haft strike thing would make a better connected feat than maneuver. Also using the haft to get defensive abilities was in my mind for the level 3 stance.

LunarWolfPrime
2009-12-12, 07:30 PM
I can't say much right now, it seems good.
I will be able to say more when you have the whole thing done.

Nero24200
2009-12-13, 06:18 AM
Good luck with this, I've always through polearms needed a little love. If you're looking for a few ideas, could it be possible to add a stance that lets you use a polearm one-handed? So you can finally have the Spear'n'Shield legonarie-esc warriors.

Eldan
2009-12-13, 09:45 AM
Well, let's see what I can come up with for that feat.

Feat Name [Tactical]

Prerequisites: Other mystic cobra feat, balance 9 ranks, two Mystic Cobra maneuvers
BEnefits: This feat grants you the use of three tactial options:

Two-fanged Serpent: Whenever you use a Mystic Cobra weapon to make a full attack against an enemy not adjacent to you, you may also immediately make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against any enemy adjacent to you. This attack deals 1d4 bludgeoning as base damage, plus any damage bonuses your weapon would normally grant.
Shielding Coils: Whenever you use the full defence action while wielding a Mystic Cobra weapon, you gain a +2 shield bonus to AC.

Needs also a third option, but I think it might work.

Shyftir
2009-12-13, 02:51 PM
Good luck with this, I've always through polearms needed a little love. If you're looking for a few ideas, could it be possible to add a stance that lets you use a polearm one-handed? So you can finally have the Spear'n'Shield legonarie-esc warriors.

Well actually that can already be done with short spear and shield which is pretty consistent with the Spartan style. As for the Roman Legions, they used gladius (short sword) and tower shields on the first row and varying lengths of spear farther back, they were all trained to step forward into the next row when the person in front of them went down. So they didn't use shield and longspear together either. They had a shield on their backs while they worked the spear then pulled their short swords and shields when they needed to step up.

As for the tactical feat I like it so far, maybe add some kind of shield pinning as a third option, say:

Shield Constrictor: You may use a Mystic Cobra weapon to neutralize an opponents shield bonus to AC by succeeding on a melee touch attack followed by an opposed strength check, this effect lasts until the target succeeds an opposed strength check or you voluntarily end it. You cannot attack with your weapon while maintaining this effect.

Also I don't like how the wording feels on a couple of my Level 3 maneuvers if anyone can suggest better wording I'd be very grateful.

Edit: Tactical Feat Name Suggestion : "Wise as a Serpent"

Knaight
2009-12-13, 03:08 PM
Except for the Spartan style used spears estimated to have 8 foot length, and because of counterbalancing held them so that there were still 6 feet in front of the hand, furthermore they probably used the underhand style. So they need reach for the style to work properly, and currently they don't have it.

Eldan
2009-12-13, 03:15 PM
Actually, it seems to me that your style is, partially, more based on the snake aspect than on polearms... Serpent Scales, Flashing Frenzy and Green Asp, as examples, don't really seem polearm-ish to me, rather than just general strikes. As an example: I can't really see why a polearm should be especially apt at leaving enemies dazed.
Effects I would add:
Penetration: polearms should work relatively well against armor. Perhaps add the ability to make a touch attack strike?
Keeping the enemy away from you: the setting against charge is a good beginning. Perhaps a chance that gives you improved attacks of opportunity, or a coiunter that lets you use an AoO to deny an enemy's movement?
Reach: perhaps a stance that further increases reach by 5 feet?

Surgo
2009-12-13, 03:25 PM
How would you feel about uploading these to the wiki in my signature when you finish all nine levels? We're trying to bootstrap a martial disciplines section.

Shyftir
2009-12-13, 03:55 PM
Well, I don't want it to be so entirely one dimensional that it only works with pole-arms because none of the "classic" disciplines ONLY work with their weapons although looking back on it I need to add that the newest stance only works with Mystic Cobra weapons. (All of which are polearms only the halberd is non-reach.)

And actually the dazing is supposed to feel Stunning Fist like, remember this is being designed specifically with my new Martial Sohei class in mind, who traditionally use polearms. The idea I'm going for is a discipline which favors pole-arms best but isn't totally exclusive.

Also the "Guarding the Nest" power? It has a snaky name but its basically the classic "the guards cross their spears in front of the gate and stop the hero" thing. The theme is a group of dedicated guards who use polearms. This is the martial style that grew connected to it. I want "this is good" mixed with "this is REALLY good with reach."

Edit:
Um Eldan, "a counter that lets you use an AoO to deny an enemy's movement?" Read "Guarding the Nest" that is exactly what it does.

Eldan
2009-12-13, 04:41 PM
Huh. You know... I thought "Well, there should be more maneuvers like guarding a nest."
Next, I thought "Maybe as a stance."
And finally: "Or as a counter."

Yeah.. I tend to forget stuff fast.

Shyftir
2009-12-16, 12:31 PM
Level 4 is up a boost and a strike for your viewing pleasure!

DracoDei
2009-12-16, 01:41 PM
Coiled Bite should be reworded to remove the word "Adjacent" in my opinion. It needs to make the weapon not count as reach while you are in the stance, but for large and larger opponnents that doesn't always mean "adjacent".

Shyftir
2009-12-17, 12:16 PM
Coiled Bite, rewrite, again.

"While in this stance your reach weapons lose their reach function but can be used on enemies which would normally be inside your effective threat."

How is that Draco, better?

DracoDei
2009-12-17, 03:50 PM
It is, indeed, better.

Shyftir
2009-12-18, 07:20 AM
Moved Guarding the Nest to Level 2, for various reasons mostly influence from reading other homebrewers work, I also think I'll add another Level 4 maneuver, only 2 at a level seems like too few. (even if it follows precedents from ToB)

lightningcat
2010-01-02, 12:53 AM
I like this idea, and hope that it gets finished.

DracoDei
2010-01-16, 04:40 AM
Stopped in here to check out a few things for my Leap Dragoon PrC (see my sig or extended sig).

I dunno about the wording for Serpent's Scales or the acid spitting one.

The first one should probably last until the begining of your next turn.

The spitting one should have them save at the end of each of their turns probably... it should also be supernatural.

DracoDei
2010-01-16, 07:00 PM
From a PM:

This reminds me that I must once again get back to working on Mystic cobra, I kinda have a block on it trying to come up with good new stuff.
Maybe a boost where you use the butt of the spear for pole-vaulting? And/or a strike that is the same thing, but relies on hitting them to use the point as the fulcrum (you would generally end up on the opposite side of them, with no AoOs)?

If you want to get really mystical about it, you could have it conjuring one or more shadowly pikemen who fight like you do, but can't initiate maneuvers or use stances. The higher level versions of this boost would turn you into a full on (admittedly small, but full on) pike formation. They would go behind you (to fill in the space inside your reach without having to use the first level maneuver) or beside you.... or does Army of One have such maneuvers already?

You need some TWF maneuvers since you have the "hit with the back end" class feature, but you dropped Tiger Claw.

One POSSIBILITY is that it might not GO all the way to 9th level... but that would be kinda lame.

NEW IDEA:
Perhaps a teleportation maneuver that allows you to "bookmark" the location you are in with a full round action (which doesn't expend the maneuver), then any time within 1 minute of leaving that spot, you can teleport back to that point by expending the maneuver as a move action. This would handle a gaurd;s problem of mantaining mobility (good to do in D&D I hear), without worrying about getting lured out of position. Maybe a sequel that lets you return as a swift action. Perhaps say that it must be the FIRST thing you do on your turn when you use it.

Shyftir
2010-02-20, 03:01 AM
I'm abandoning this project as I just don't feel I have the know how to finish it. If anybody else would like to take it and make use of it I merely ask that you mention that I had a hand in the concept creation.

~Corvus~
2010-04-09, 11:57 AM
Hey Shyftir,

I came up with an acid/snake based discipline a while ago, and I have been entertaining the use of poles for a while. Perhaps I could help you out? I don't want to take ultimate credit for starting or finishing this project but I have a bunch of ideas...

PM me and let's talk?

~Corvus~
2010-04-20, 04:48 AM
Okay, so I offered to take over this project for Shyftir. We've had some communication, and here's what I've cleared with Shyftir with so far. More to come soon.

Smelling The Air
Mystic Cobra (Stance)
Prerequisite: 1 Mystic Cobra maneuver
Range: personal
Target: you
Duration: stance

Snakes all have a potent sense of smell. An initiate of Serpent's blood is taught how to focus his mind to heighten this sense.

You gain the scent special ability as long as you are in this stance (see MM 314).

Level 5

Black serpent's Bite
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 5
Prerequisite: Two Mystic Cobra maneuvers

Your eyes darken momentarily as you stab at your foe, as you wish him the gravest of thoughts.

Make an attack as normal. If you hit, you deal 1d6 Dexterity damage in addition to your normal weapon damage. This ability is a supernatural ability.

Earth Cobra's Grace
Mystic Cobra (Stance)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action.
Range: personal

Your body and mind focus as you remember your training. The earth, your spirit and your body are all one.

While you are in this stance, you gain a +15 insight bonus on all Balance checks. If you switch from this stance to the Coiled Spring stance (see lvl 7), your maximum number of 5-foot steps increases to your dexterity bonus, to a maximum of your initiator level (while in the Coiled Spring stance).

Jade Asp Bite
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action.
Target: One creature.

You quickly focus your body and spirit into one mighty thrust, catching your opponent off-balance.

As part of this maneuver make a single attack at your highest BAB. If you hit, you deal 5d6 extra damage and you make a Balance check as a Trip attempt (DC = opponent's opposed roll). This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you succeed with your Balance check, your opponent falls prone.

Level 6

Dancing Fang
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 6

You shift your body as you swing your weapon, and your weapon sneaks past your opponent's defenses.

Take a balance check with as part of this attack, with the DC equal to your opponent's AC. If your Balance check succeeds, you deal normal damage plus the total of your Balance check. If your check fails, you make your attack at a -2 penalty and you deal no additional damage.

The Snake Sheds its Skin
Mystic Cobra (Counter)
Prerequisite: 2 maneuvers.
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action.
Range: special
Target: personal.
Duration: 2 turns.

In a split second before your opponent would strike, you move and illusory copies of your body appear to move in different directions, giving you time to escape.

If an opponent attacks you, you may initiate this maneuver before the results of the attack are known. Take a Balance check with a +10 bonus with a DC equal to your opponent's attack roll.

For every amount of 5 that you beat the balance DC, you may move away from your opponent 5 feet and you may make an illusory copy of yourself that also moves away from the opponent in a different direction. These illusory copies look, smell and feel exactly like you in every way, except that they simply take no actions after they have moved to their target squares. All movement you and your copies take provoke attacks of opportunity for movement as usual. Both you and your illusory copies may make Tumble checks accordingly if you have ranks in that skill.

Your copies are barely substantial: they have 1 hp, no hardness, and can be dispersed by any forceful wind like a gust of wind spell, but they have AC equal to your AC and spell resistance equal to your character level +10. These illusory doubles dissipate at the end of your next turn or if reduced to 0 HP.

This ability is a supernatural effect. Only an opponent with True Seeing or tremorsense knows that these illusory copies are indeed fake.

Level 7

Coiled Spring
Mystic Cobra (Stance)
Level: Sohei 7
Prerequisite: Three Mystic Cobra maneuvers
Initiation Action: swift action
Duration: Stance (special, see below)

You tense your muscles and spread out your consciousness. As opponents pass by, you leap out, strike, and re-tense.

When you initiate this stance, you must forfeit any remaining actions during your turn. While in this stance, your melee threat range extends an extra 5 feet, but you do not gain any additional reach; 5-foot steps provoke attacks of opportunity from you; and you may take any number of Attacks of Opportunity granted by an opponent's movements up to a maximum number equal to your initiator level.

If you would take an attack of opportunity, you may instead take a 5-foot step (if able) and take a single attack (not a strike) against that opponent followed by a Balance Check. You deal additional damage equal to your Balance check. If you moved, remain in your new spot. If your attack misses, you must take another balance check DC = the former balance check made for your attack) or fall prone.
Hmm. What would you say if i removed the Balance Check part and instead allowed a single-attack strike as an option, as DracoDei proffers as an idea? Too powerful?

As long as you remain in this stance, you may not take any full-round actions, standard actions or move actions not granted by this stance. If you do take any of those actions, then the stance ends immediately. If you are forced to move (someone grapples you, if you unsuccessfully make a balance check, if you are blasted by wind, etc) then the stance also ends immediately.

Special: If you switch from Earth Cobra's Grace (see level 5) to this stance, your maximum number of 5-foot steps while in Coiled Spring stance increases to your dexterity bonus, with a maximum of your initiator level.

Impaling Fang Lunge
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Prerequisite: Three Mystic Cobra maneuvers.

You step forward and thrust the entire length of your blade into your opponent's body, then pull your blade out and return to your position.

You must make a Balance check as a part of this maneuver, with a DC equal to your opponent's Initiative Modifier +14. If the check succeeds, you may make a five-foot step to bring your enemy into range and a make a single attack. If you hit, you deal three times your normal melee damage. You may then step back into your previous position.

Using this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you fail the Balance check you may still attack but without the additional damage and you incur attacks of opportunity normally.

If your strike is a critical hit, you stack the multipliers as normal (see PHB 304).

Night snake's Grasp
Mystic Cobra (Strike)

Your face and weapon both darken momentarily as you stab at your foe, and the air chills momentarily as you strike.

Make two attacks, both at your highest base attack bonus. Each of these attacks must be made against the same opponent. If you hit, you deal 1d6 Dexterity damage in addition to your normal damage with each attack, and your opponent must make a fortitude save (DC 17 + your Wisdom modifier) or be slowed until the beginning of your next turn. This ability is a supernatural ability.

Level 8

Emerald Asp Bite
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 8
Initiation Action: 1 move action.

As you move, you subtly move your weapon with you and jab it into your opponent with a quick, simple thrust that takes your foe off guard.

As you move, you must make a Balance check opposed by your target's initiative modifier +15. If you succeed, you may make a single attack at a -5 to hit. If you hit, you deal 8d6 extra damage and you make a Balance check as a Trip attempt (DC = opponent's opposed roll). This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you succeed with your Balance check, your opponent falls prone.

The Cobra Moves Quick
Mystic Cobra (Boost)
Initiation Action: Instant Recovery activation
Duration: 1 round

Only a fool underestimates your speed. As you recover your maneuvers, your body surges with energy.

Your base land-speed doubles, and you may make two additional attacks this round at your highest Base Attack Bonus. This extraordinary ability stacks with other modifiers of your speed, such as haste. Your additional attacks do not, however, stack with other modifiers of the number of attacks you may receive per round, such as haste or multiple applications of this maneuver.

Level 9

Death Cobra's Kiss
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Level: Sohei 9
Prerequisite: Four Mystic Cobra maneuvers

You swing at your foe, and though it seems you barely make contact, your foe seems to lose all control of his body.

Make a melee touch attack against your opponent. If you hit, you deal twice your base weapon damage (without enchantments, etc) to your opponent as Dexterity damage. If you make a critical hit, stack multipliers as normal (see PHB 304).
This is a supernatural ability.

DracoDei
2010-04-20, 06:50 AM
Level 6

The Snake Sheds its Skin

Mystic Cobra (Counter)
Prerequisite: 2 maneuvers.
Initiation Action: swift action.
Range: special
Target: personal.
Duration: 2 turns.

In a split second, you move and illusory copies of your body appear briefly, giving you time to escape.

If an opponent attacks you, you may initiate this maneuver before the results of the attack are known. Take a Balance check with a +10 bonus with a DC equal to your opponent's attack roll.

For every amount of 5 that you beat the balance DC, you may move away from your opponent 5 feet, and you place an illusory "copy" of yourself in it the square you have vacated. These illusory copies look, smell and feel exactly like you in every way, except that they appear dazed. The illusory doubles are barely substantial: they have 1 hp, no hardness, and can be dispersed by any forceful wind like a gust of wind spell, but they have spell resistance equal to your character level +10. These illusory doubles dissipate at the end of your next turn or if reduced to 0 HP.

This ability is a supernatural effect. Only an opponent with True Seeing or blindsense knows that these illusory copies are indeed fake.

Problem with this is that anyone who can make the appropriate Martial Lore roll knows that you have to be in the last square that one of you appears to have entered and/or that you have to be the one who isn't dazed (although you could try a Bluff roll to fake it...). Even "One of these things is not like the others" yeilds that second situation. You need to make it so you can have your doubles continue the chain, and specify that they don't LOOK dazed, they just can't take any actions...

Level 7

Coiled Spring
Mystic Cobra (Stance)
Initiation Action: swift action
Duration: Stance (special, see below)

You tense your muscles and spread out your consciousness. As opponents pass by, you leap out, strike, and re-tense.

When you initiate this stance, you must forfeit any remaining actions during your turn. While in this stance, your melee threat range extends an extra 5 feet, but you do not gain any additional reach; 5-foot steps provoke attacks of opportunity from you, and you may take any number of Attacks of Opportunity granted by an opponent's movements up to a maximum number equal to your initiator level.

When you take an attack of opportunity, you may also take a 5-foot step (if able) and make a single attack against that opponent followed by a Balance Check. You deal additional damage equal to your Balance check. If you moved, remain in your new spot. If your attack misses, you must take another balance check DC = the former balance check made for your attack) or fall prone.

As long as you remain in this stance, you may not take any full-round actions, standard actions or move actions not granted by this stance. If you do take any of those actions, then the stance ends immediately. If you are forced to move (someone grapples you, if you unsuccessfully make a balance check, you are blasted by wind, etc) then the stance also ends immediately.

Special: If you switch from Earth Cobra's Grace (see level 5) to this stance, your maximum number of 5-foot steps increases to your dexterity bonus (while in the Coiled Spring stance).
Move the bolded part to a seperate sentence somehow since that isn't a forced movement.

"When you take an attack of opportunity, you may also take a 5-foot step (if able) and make a single attack against that opponent followed by a Balance Check."
Change "also" to "instead" and specify it can't be a Strike (or explicitly specify it CAN be a strike, in which case you should specify that explicitly and this is a REALLY powerful stance). Come to that I don't see why you didn't just say "once per turn you may take a 5-foot step before making an attack of opportunity (but see below for how you can do this more often).".
For "prior art" see this feat of mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113722).

Impaling Fang Lunge

Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Prerequisite: Three Mystic Cobra maneuvers.

You step forward and thrust the entire length of your blade into your opponent's body, then pull your blade out and return to your position.

You must make a Balance check as a part of this maneuver, with a DC equal to your opponent's Initiative Modifier +14. If the check succeeds, you may make a five-foot step to bring your enemy into range and a make a single attack. If you hit, you deal three times your normal melee damage. You may then step back into your previous position.

Using this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you fail the Balance check you may still attack but without the additional damage and you incur attacks of opportunity normally.

If your strike is a critical hit, you stack the multipliers as normal.

Tripple damage is nice and simple... which means that the fact that the original ToB never used it makes me suspicious there might be something seriously wrong with the idea. Only suspicious, but it is worth looking into.

Level 8

Emerald Asp Bite
Mystic Cobra (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 move action.

As you move, you subtly move your weapon with you and jab it into your opponent with a quick, simple thrust.

As you move, you must make a Balance check opposed by your target's initiative modifier +15. If you succeed, you may make a single attack at a -5 to hit. If you hit, you deal 8d6 extra damage and you make a Balance check as a Trip attempt (DC = opponent's opposed roll). This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you succeed with your Balance check, your opponent falls prone.

The Cobra Moves Quick
Mystic Cobra (Boost)
Initiation Action: Instant Recovery activation
Duration: 1 round

Only a fool underestimates your speed. As you recover your maneuvers, your body surges with energy.

Your base land-speed doubles, and you may make two additional attacks this round at your highest Base Attack Bonus. This extraordinary ability stacks with other modifiers of your speed, such as haste. Your additional attacks do not, however, stack with other modifiers of the number of attacks you may receive per round, such as haste or multiple applications of this maneuver.

Will probably E.A.C.H. the 8th level stuff later...

~Corvus~
2010-04-20, 08:14 PM
Problem with this is that anyone who can make the appropriate Martial Lore roll knows that you have to be in the last square that one of you appears to have entered and/or that you have to be the one who isn't dazed (although you could try a Bluff roll to fake it...). Even "One of these things is not like the others" yeilds that second situation. You need to make it so you can have your doubles continue the chain, and specify that they don't LOOK dazed, they just can't take any actions...

Updated.

"When you take an attack of opportunity, you may also take a 5-foot step (if able) and make a single attack against that opponent followed by a Balance Check."
Change "also" to "instead" and specify it can't be a Strike (or explicitly specify it CAN be a strike, in which case you should specify that explicitly and this is a REALLY powerful stance). Come to that I don't see why you didn't just say "once per turn you may take a 5-foot step before making an attack of opportunity (but see below for how you can do this more often).".
For "prior art" see this feat of mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113722).

It should be better now. I like your feat in its concept, but I think it, too, is a bit wordy. I'm not sure if there's an easy way around it....

Tripple damage is nice and simple... which means that the fact that the original ToB never used it makes me suspicious there might be something seriously wrong with the idea. Only suspicious, but it is worth looking into.

You are right that ToB doesn't have any triple-damage maneuvers. I searched every maneuver, but looking at Diamond Mind for a reference... Sapphire Nightmare Blade (+1d6 dmg) is level 1 (CL 1), Ruby Nightmare Blade (x2 dmg) is 4th level (CL 7) and Diamond Nightmare Blade (x4 dmg) is 8th level (CL 15).

The 6th-level Greater Insightful Strike deals double concentration check as damage, but that's pretty good with decent Con (14), max Concentration ranks for an 11th-level character (14), and an average roll of 10... 2x(2+14+10) = 52 damage.

Remember, this follows the standard Multipliers Increase rule, so a critical hit and x3 damage from this maneuver are not as devastating as you think.

When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple.
...thus, the x3 multiplier from the maneuver would become a x4 modifier in the case of a 2x crit weapon or x5 in the case of a x3 crit weapon

It should be fine.

DracoDei
2010-04-20, 08:45 PM
If the only big difference between it and Ruby Nightmare Blade is the multiplier, then I totally retract that objection.

~Corvus~
2010-04-20, 09:44 PM
If the only big difference between it and Ruby Nightmare Blade is the multiplier, then I totally retract that objection.

There's the optional (free) five-foot step to attack your opponent, which is why I placed the maneuver at 7th level, not 6th. But yeah, that's basically it ^^

DracoDei
2010-04-20, 10:13 PM
Probably just fine then.

~Corvus~
2010-04-26, 08:29 PM
Updated the maneuvers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8336928#post8336928)! What does everyone think?

DracoDei
2010-04-27, 03:43 AM
Are you sure you want to duplicate the Tiger Claw stance like that?

~Corvus~
2010-04-27, 03:55 AM
Are you sure you want to duplicate the Tiger Claw stance like that?

To me it makes sense, but if duplicating other disciplines' stances is taboo I can remove it...

DracoDei
2010-04-27, 11:17 AM
To me it makes sense, but if duplicating other disciplines' stances is taboo I can remove it...

It isn't... White Raven and Devoted Spirit do it with 1st level strikes.