PDA

View Full Version : Thirty Years

Stealthdozer
2009-12-10, 04:25 AM
I've been kicking in doors and killing monsters for almost 30 years now.

I was a jock in High School. I moved to a new school my senior year – 1980-1981, across the river from my old school. Due to a series of fights, detentions, and suspensions, and the close proximity of the two schools, many of my new classmates knew I boxed.

My friends Mark and Todd introduced me to Stephen, the smartest student at my new school. Stephen was keen on hearing my opinions regarding boxing as they related to “pummeling” (what Unarmed Combat used to be called). Stephen was obsessed with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons apparently. Under Stephen’s enthusiastic guidance I soon created my first character, a Monk. It wouldn’t be long until I was playing Fighters however. In the thirty years I’ve been playing, I’ve managed to play each of the main character types. I enjoy Fighters best.

When I first played AD&D groups were exclusively male. We were shocked when Heather came to watch her boyfriend Nathaniel play. Heather didn’t stay, but soon other girlfriends, sisters, and such girls started joining in.

After graduation I worked a series of construction jobs before eventually joining the military. Most of my friends went off to various colleges.

Duty comes first in the military, though I still managed to get some game time in too. I started playing other games: GURPS, Palladium, etc. We always seemed to return to D&D – or AD&D Second Edition as it was eventually known.

Role-Playing Games serve as a beacon to the maladjusted, and we learned to exclude anti-social players from our groups. Sure as bricks some people don’t take hints. If I confronted the anti-social, negotiations were over: no bargains. I know it sounds tough, and it’s hard to watch grown men cry over a game, but it was always for the best. The games became more enjoyable, and one can hope being booted worked as a wake-up call for the excluded. Therapy is available, just not by me.

After 12 years Active Duty I reconnected with my long lost civilian gaming friends. Most were married, several had children. As it turns out I now know more female than male players. Wives, daughters, sisters: women have flocked to pen & paper RPGs. I didn’t notice if I adjusted my play style. The theatrical prefer role-play to roll-play. I like to kick in doors. Several of the girls mention they liked combat too: girls aren’t often encouraged to hit things apparently. One mistake I think our culture makes – not just gamers – is ignoring what women have to say.

Male gamers sometimes ask if the female gamers I play with are hot. The females I game with are the wives, mothers, sisters, or daughters of some of my oldest and closest friends. “Hot” isn’t on the radar.

The core of my old group still games too: Nathaniel, Josh, Seamus. We joined the migration to 3.5 a few years ago, and will likely wander into Pathfinder territory together.

Thank you for reading my rambling rumination. Next time I’ll try and have a point.

Cheers.

Boo
2009-12-10, 04:34 AM
A merry unbirthday to you, and a delightful link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117748) too!

May you have many more of both!

Wait, this was a birthday thread? Oh....? Happy birthday? The "almost" is throwing me off.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-10, 04:34 AM
The females I game with are the wives, mothers, sisters, or daughters of some of my oldest and closest friends.
So, uhm... Are they hot? :amused: Go on, answer the question man!
Anyway... congratulations on your anniversary :smallsmile:

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-10, 09:02 AM
Happy Birthday! I hope one day I too can say I've gamed for almost 30 years :)

Quincunx
2009-12-10, 09:39 AM
I'd thank you for the speech, and it does resonate strangely like a parting speech, but I'm busy rearranging Don Julio Anejo's cranial plates with an EMP cannon (bah to ranged attacks, melee is where it's at).

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-10, 09:40 AM
If this is a birthday thread, happy birthday!
If this is a 30-year anniversary of starting to play D&D, which is what it sounds like, congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

Ilena
2009-12-10, 09:46 AM
Ive got many years to go to catch up to you :P Ive only been playing ... *counts her fingers* 3 years :P yes ... im sure 3 years ... ok relitively sure ... at least 2 for sure :P *suffers from an extremely poor memory on things :P*

bosssmiley
2009-12-10, 10:47 AM
This 'having a point' thing is over-rated, and probably Belgian (if it had a point, it wouldn't be a hobby :smallwink:).

Cheers for the insight into the world of Stealthdozer!!! (the greatest cheesy tech thriller novel never made into a straight-to-video movie). Here's to many more years of "shut up and roll!"

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-11, 02:03 AM
I'd thank you for the speech, and it does resonate strangely like a parting speech, but I'm busy rearranging Don Julio Anejo's cranial plates with an EMP cannon (bah to ranged attacks, melee is where it's at).
I take it you 1. Don't know too many men :smallbiggrin: and 2. (potentially worse than #1), don't watch How I Met Your Mother? :barney:

Gullara
2009-12-11, 10:17 AM
That was the longest birthday post ever:smalleek: Happy birthday!!