PDA

View Full Version : REALLY complicated weapons?

subject42
2009-12-10, 10:35 AM
Are there any weapons in D&D that require more than two arms to wield? I've been mucking with the insectile template on a fighter and it seems like there should be some type of weapon that is designed for multi-armed races.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-10, 10:38 AM
savages species has one.

dsmiles
2009-12-10, 10:42 AM
I believe it's called a scissors sword. Wielded primarily by Mariliths (Type Vs for us old guys).

LibraryOgre
2009-12-10, 11:07 AM
Are there any weapons in D&D that require more than two arms to wield? I've been mucking with the insectile template on a fighter and it seems like there should be some type of weapon that is designed for multi-armed races.

The 2nd edition book "Thrikreen of Athas" had some interesting weapons for multi-armed folk, though none designed for use with more than 2 arms at once. The two I remember were best suited for use against others with chitinous exoskeletons, the lajav and ko*.

The lajav was designed to be wielded by the arms on one side, and looked a lot like a short-chained nunchuk or a nutcracker. It worked by one arm extending the lajav, and the second arm catching it and smashing the two sides together. Catch a chitinous arm between those and you've broken the exo-skeleton.

The ko* looked like two stone-age hand axes, and worked about the same. With one stone working as a hammer, and the other as an anvil, it would drive a hole in the chitin (or flesh). Since Chitin damage takes a while to heal, it was pretty effective.