PDA

View Full Version : Drow Backstory

Fastmover
2009-12-10, 01:33 PM
I'm creating a backstory and also a personal personification kind of char that I want to last to epics. Basically almost making a book about him.

What I have so far for the backstory:

He is a relatively midlevel guard who has hidden his favored soul magical abilities from everyone and only uses physical strength and cunning as a means of getting higher in rank. He has an infatuation with a female drow from another house who holds a particularly high rank. She actually (through some activity not thought of yet) notices the guard. She begins to notice him more and more till one fateful day he suddenly surprises and overpowers her when she is alone. After this little transgression, though having enjoyed the encounter, she finds a way of punishing the guard repeatedly. Through the beatings she finds herself starting to feel the weakness of "Love," so instead of beating him she sends him into the gladiatorial to basically have him killed. But he continues to live and prevail.
Then there is a war (yes a random war). Since she had failed to kill him in the gladiatorial, he is instead sent out into the war. A while passes and when he returns from the war. He is even stronger and at a very high rank, practically rivaling her own. When they meet again face to face it is at a celebration of battles won, where he again "infiltrates" her. During this encounter she finally submits to the weakness.
But there is a problem he is from a rival house and they do not wish to conjoin. So the two leave, the Soldier and the fiend-blooded Sorceress to try and create a life for themselves.

Questions:

Can a male drow create his own house with the help of a companion?

Can he be so fed up with his status in drow society to break away from it and no longer be treated as a second class citizen?

Is there anything in there that is blatently wrong among drow and needs to be changed?

Are there any suggestions you might have to help me write/make these chars?

Also can a male Drow become a Favored Soul of Lolth??

jiriku
2009-12-10, 01:58 PM
Questions:

1. Can a male drow create his own house with the help of a companion?

2. Can he be so fed up with his status in drow society to break away from it and no longer be treated as a second class citizen?

3. Is there anything in there that is blatently wrong among drow and needs to be changed?

4. Are there any suggestions you might have to help me write/make these chars?

1. No, only a female could potentially lead a house; the best he could hope for is to become chief consort. You should be whipped for even suggesting that a male could lead a drow house. In fact, you shall be whipped. You are allowed to grovel pathetically while you beg for a swift death, male. But be sure you don't spill your blood on the carpet.

Unfortunately, by choosing to flaunt the authority of her matron mother and flee with a male, while dirtying herself with feelings of love and affection for the cad, your girl has shamed the matron mother of her house, who will hunt her daughter unto death to demonstrate to the other drow houses that she is strong enough to maintain control of her house. Anything less would be a demonstration of weakness that would invite destruction upon the entire house. Thus, your lover's chance of leading anything other than a sacrificial rite (as the, ahem, guest of honor) are slimmer than an incompetent slave's chance of receiving mercy.

2. He could certainly break away from drow society, but then he'll simply be a second-class renegade instead of a second-class citizen.

3. It's a little odd that she didn't have him killed for his insolence, but I suppose she admired his impetuousness. Anyhow, it makes a good story. I'd say go with it. However, be advised that any drow couple seeking true love, happiness, and acceptance by a peer group are headed for something like a cross between 'Romeo and Juliet' and the Kobayashi Maru scenario (except with leather, and pain).

4. Whatever you do, don't do (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050710.html) this (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050711.html).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-10, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, by choosing to flaunt the authority of her matron mother and flee with a male, while dirtying herself with feelings of love and affection for the cad, your girl has shamed the matron mother of her house, who will hunt her daughter unto death to demonstrate to the other drow houses that she is strong enough to maintain control of her house. Anything less would be a demonstration of weakness that would invite destruction upon the entire house. Thus, your lover's chance of leading anything other than a sacrificial rite (as the, ahem, guest of honor) are slimmer than an incompetent slave's chance of receiving mercy.

The only way the two could survive is by fleeing and possibly allying themselves with a powerful band of wanderers who have a propensity to beat up people and take their stuff.

The J Pizzel
2009-12-10, 02:27 PM
The only way the two could survive is by fleeing and possibly allying themselves with a powerful band of wanderers who have a propensity to beat up people and take their stuff.

You see what he did there?

Grumman
2009-12-10, 02:51 PM
A band of wanderers who will no doubt buy you drinks whenever they're in town, once they realise you're the reason dozens of goblinoids (thereafter referred to as "fragile sacks of XP") have tried to murder them in their sleep.

Fastmover
2009-12-10, 03:58 PM
1. No, only a female could potentially lead a house; the best he could hope for is to become chief consort. You should be whipped for even suggesting that a male could lead a drow house. In fact, you shall be whipped. You are allowed to grovel pathetically while you beg for a swift death, male. But be sure you don't spill your blood on the carpet.
:smallfurious: I will not be flogged like some lowly servant! I shall leave this Underdark and increase my power and raise and army so massive that it will drink the rivers dry. And when I return, if you are still living, you shall be taken from your bed and brought to my lair so that you yourself be whipped for my entertainment.

:smalltongue:

Unfortunately, by choosing to flaunt the authority of her matron mother and flee with a male, while dirtying herself with feelings of love and affection for the cad, your girl has shamed the matron mother of her house, who will hunt her daughter unto death to demonstrate to the other drow houses that she is strong enough to maintain control of her house. Anything less would be a demonstration of weakness that would invite destruction upon the entire house. Thus, your lover's chance of leading anything other than a sacrificial rite (as the, ahem, guest of honor) are slimmer than an incompetent slave's chance of receiving mercy.Hmm... that would be a problem now wouldn't it...especially since we're planning on children. Hmm...

2. He could certainly break away from drow society, but then he'll simply be a second-class renegade instead of a second-class citizen
Well... I'll have to find a way around that.

3. It's a little odd that she didn't have him killed for his insolence, but I suppose she admired his impetuousness. Anyhow, it makes a good story. I'd say go with it. However, be advised that any drow couple seeking true love, happiness, and acceptance by a peer group are headed for something like a cross between 'Romeo and Juliet' and the Kobayashi Maru scenario (except with leather, and pain).

Yeah I sorta wanted them to have a story somewhat like that. Though I wanted them to live. I kind of want them to make thier own society, their own country. I would try and convince a few male drow from the military that the main char served with (Promise them power) and basically try to create our own little Rome. Taking or buying drow slaves (Promising them power) and having them fight to create a new Drow society, one in which the Priesthood will most likely not like I'm sure.

Not sure how well this idea will go though. Anyone wanna help me do it or... at least try not to be killed doing it?

4. Whatever you do, don't do (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050710.html) this (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050711.html).

No... definately not.

jiriku
2009-12-10, 06:13 PM
If your current setting is both A) the Forgotten Realms and B) ignoring the timeline development in which Eilistraee is dead, then drow worshippers of Eilistraee are your best bet. Followers of the Cute Little Dancing Drow praise concepts such as freedom, peace, free love, and the legalization of marijuana. They'll surely follow you, as long as you promise them that you're headed down to 7-11 to pick up some munchies.

Oh, and get an item that casts detect poison at will. Use it on everything you eat or drink. For the rest of your life. The matron mother has a long reach and an even longer lifespan.