PDA

View Full Version : Good Wizard items [3.5]

Kokaka
2009-12-10, 04:44 PM
Hi all.

I'm about to create a lvl 12 wizard and everything is fine until I come to the part where to pick magic items. The items that increase my Int are a no brainer but are there others? Preferable items that raise my caster lvl

Tyndmyr
2009-12-10, 04:47 PM
Orange Ioun Stone is great. If you have solid wisdom, monk's belt isn't a bad idea.

Metamagic rods are quite handy. Hewards Handy Haversack, for mitigating your likely crappy strength.

Wand bracer. Eternal wand of CLW. Healing belt if you opt out of the monk's belt. Goggles of the Golden Sky(MiC) for immunity to blindness cheaply. If you get more of the set, you get resistances too.

Don't buy stat boosting items...buy items that grant abilities or immunities, and add the stat boosts to them, via MiC rules.

aje8
2009-12-10, 04:50 PM
I knew of items that raise caster level. However, here are some good items for a caster:

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Sclupt (Assuming you're a battlefeild control based Wizard)
Belt of Battle (MiC)
Heward's Handy Haversack (For all characters, but worth mentioning)
Heward's Foritifying Bedroll
Boccob's Blessed Book

Tyndmyr
2009-12-10, 04:53 PM
The bedroll is indeed awesome.

I'd suggest a nice assortment of scrolls of rarely cast, situational spells where CL isn't a big deal. Wands or eternal wands of frequently cast spells of the same type.

Eldariel
2009-12-10, 04:54 PM
Con increases are handy too, as are Dex. And yeah, listed stuff is pretty good (although Eternal Wands of CLW don't exist as they're Arcane-only) and Healing Belt can be just equipped when you need healing. Also, AC is hardly your best defense so Monk's Belt is kinda wasted anyways without some way to pick up Int to AC.

Don't forget:
- Ring of Enduring Arcana [CMage]
- Ring of Spell-Battle [MiC]
- Ring of Arcane Power [MiC]
- Robe of Arcane Might [MiC]
- Orange Prism Ioun Stone
- Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (no need to breathe; very, very useful)
- Beads of Karma (from Strand of Prayer Beads provided you have UMD)
- Hand of Glory

Draz74
2009-12-10, 05:40 PM
(although Eternal Wands of CLW don't exist as they're Arcane-only)
Bard?

and Healing Belt can be just equipped when you need healing.
Or just added to another magic belt. Makes the Healing Belt cost a whole whopping 1125 gp instead of 750!

Also, AC is hardly your best defense so Monk's Belt is kinda wasted anyways without some way to pick up Int to AC.
Yeah, Monk's Belt might be worth it at, like, Level 18. Not at Level 12.

- Beads of Karma (from Strand of Prayer Beads provided you have UMD)
In my book the interpretation of UMD that allows this is pretty shaky ... and cheesy.

- Hand of Glory
:smallconfused: Just because you suggested three Rings? Because again, you can combine the Rings' effects for a little extra gold ... and even if that's not being allowed in this campaign, the Neck slot itself is too valuable IMHO to waste on Hand of Glory.

Otherwise I support Eldariel's suggestions. :smallsmile: And I'll throw in another supporting vote for cheap Metamagic Rods ... Extend is best, but Silent is terribly useful too, and there may be more.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-10, 05:43 PM
Tunic of steady spellcasting.
Stonefire ring (not super powerful, but I'm a fan of it)
Dust of sneezing/choking
dust of disappearance

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-10, 05:55 PM
If you have any feats left, consider grabbing a few Item Creation feats and Extraordinary/Legendary Artisan, so you can cut down on the XP/GP you're spending. Even if you're behind a level, you can quickly catch up on the XP Gravy-Train.

Get the aforementioned +Int items, and see about nabbing yourself some Crafted Contingencies (from Craft Contingent Item). Heward's Handy Haversacks are always great, and you may wish to consider a Necklace of Adaptation (become immune to all gas attacks, drowning, and suffocation; not bad for 9000 gp or less). Don't worry about a cloak of resistance if you have access to the superior resistance spell (+6 to all saves!), though maybe you should consider buying some spellcasting from higher level casters (especially divine spells), though you may just want to cast some planar binding spells instead to get the spells from minions.

Immunities, contingencies, CL increases, Int bonuses (including a high-level casting of polymorph any object to turn you into a sarruhk for 30 base-Int goodness), and scrolls are where the majority of your money should go, really. As well as any cool stuff you can find (see: ring of the darkhidden; combine with the darkness cantrip from BoVD and the Invisible Spell feat, and get perma-invisibility).

jiriku
2009-12-10, 06:01 PM
Circlet of rapid casting from MiC is nearly as good as a lesser metamagic rod of quicken, but costs much less. Put a +Int enchant on it.

For my wizzies, I always get the best cloak of resistance I can afford. Your hit point total is too low to ignore your two poor saves. For that matter, put a +Con enchant on your neck item. You greatly need both the extra hit points and the improved Fort save.

An eternal wand of false life will be useful for you forever if there isn't a cleric in the party casting heroes' feast every day. Depending on DM interpretation of temporary hit point stacking, it might still be useful even then.

the previously-mentioned tunic of steady spellcasting is quite helpful to ensure you can cast defensively without chance of failure.

The anklet of translocation from MiC is dirt cheap but will let you teleport 10 feet twice per day as a swift action. That's useful for escaping grapples, getting away from a creature with reach, or getting out of a monster's stomach if you've been swallowed.

taltamir
2009-12-10, 06:11 PM
bocob's book is abuseable as heck too :)

it has 1000 pages, it costs nothing to scribes spell into them. The book gains in value based on that, and can be sold for half price.

So for 12,500 gp you get a book that can be filled with 1000 pages for free raising its value by 100000gp, total value 112,500gp. Sell it for half price (because spell books sell for half price, because each person's spell notation is unique to them). Repeat ad nasium.
Of course, no way your DM will let that fly. :)

Keep your old spell books btw... each level of wizard put your new free spells into regular books (giving them value of 100gp per spell level), then copy those into blessed book (free, adds the same value per spell).

Anyways, items...
I actually suggest a +2 con item. the extra health can save your life (enemy gets a surprise round and hits you with something). I would always have feather fall and ruin delver's fortune (from spell compendium) prepared.

Getting many cheap synergetic items beats buying one expensive item. For example, if you want to get +3 to AC, a ring of +1 deflection, bracers of +1 armor, and necklace of +1 natural would be a lot cheaper.

Other than that, the good essential items have all been mentioned already.
Oh wait... pearls of power!
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower

I think the SRD saying CL17 to craft is erroneous, its only for a spell level 9 pearl that you need CL17, besically you need to be able to cast spells of the level you want to craft the pearl for. A level 1 pearl is only 1000gp.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-10, 06:14 PM
How about a wand (or eternal wand) of Rary's mnemonic enhancer?

Free spell levels every day? Yay!

sofawall
2009-12-10, 06:35 PM
How about a wand (or eternal wand) of Rary's mnemonic enhancer?

Free spell levels every day? Yay!

Eternal wands are 1-3 only.

taltamir
2009-12-10, 06:39 PM
Eternal wands are 1-3 only.

make it "generic item of Rary's mnemonic enhancer" / day

sofawall
2009-12-10, 06:43 PM
make it "generic item of Rary's mnemonic enhancer" / day

So we depart into the silly and fairly useless land of custom item rules.

Gorbash
2009-12-10, 06:45 PM
Don't bother with Cloak of Resitance, though. Just cast Superior Resistance every day. It's better and it doesn't cost you anything except a spell slot.

I'm surprised that anyone didn't suggest Greater Rings of Counterspelling. They're awesome.

Ioun Stone you should defintely skip at lvl 12. Ring of Arcane might is 10k cheaper and it's the same thing.

Anklet of Translocation is good for any character. Get out of grapple as a swift action for 1400gp? Sold!

Also, as a wizard, you have high Int, so buy Goggles of Minute Seeing! They're dirt cheap, anyways. And Search is a class skill for Archmage (god knows why), so there.

Zaq
2009-12-10, 08:01 PM
I like initiative boosting items. Sure, you have Nerveskitter, but every bit helps. Sandals of the Vagabond are only 4k.

Items of the Diamond Mind save boosters are basically one free autosave per encounter. Very useful.