PDA

View Full Version : What's the dc to climb a building

Akisa
2009-12-10, 06:10 PM
I have question what are the typical dc to climb various kinds of buildingS?

Skeletor
2009-12-10, 06:12 PM
With or with out equipment (think grappling hook and rope)?

Siosilvar
2009-12-10, 06:13 PM
I don't know, you tell me. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm)

Most walls are probably going to be between 15 and 25.

Temotei
2009-12-10, 06:13 PM
Climb (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm). Certain items will provide bonuses.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Emmerask
2009-12-10, 06:14 PM
DC25 a rough surface, such as a natural rock wall or a brick wall

but would largely depend on the building I think ;)

Curmudgeon
2009-12-10, 06:34 PM
If it's smooth stone wall with mortar, figure DC 30. That's a base DC of 25 for a rough wall, with a +5 DC for the stone being slippery and having only the joints for hand/footholds.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-12-10, 08:37 PM
Of course, if your building is made of monolithic slabs of polished marble you're not getting up there without a grappling hook and rope.

BRC
2009-12-10, 08:38 PM
While a building with lots of windows near each other, broken bricks to make handholds, decorations, or other protrusions from the wall is going to be significantly easier to climb.

JellyPooga
2009-12-10, 08:39 PM
Well for most multi-storey buildings, I'd suggest a DC of 0...stairs aren't that hard to climb :smallwink:

Myrmex
2009-12-11, 04:20 AM
If you can climb an edge or in a narrow alley, take -5 or -10 off the DC (climbing a chimney & a corner [called an arete in climbing lingo], respectively).

Dixieboy
2009-12-11, 05:03 AM
Well for most multi-storey buildings, I'd suggest a DC of 0...stairs aren't that hard to climb :smallwink:

That very much depends on the stairs and floor in question. :smallannoyed:

hewhosaysfish
2009-12-11, 10:11 AM

Lower. A -5 or maybe a -10 even. Or else it would be practically impossible for the guy with the full-plate and the tower shield to get up.

*imagines paladin tumbling head over heels down a staircase*

Heeheehee. Stupid paladins.

Optimystik
2009-12-11, 10:49 AM
The climb isn't the hard part, it's the jump check at the end:

http://everydaygamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/assassins-leap.png

JellyPooga
2009-12-11, 11:12 AM
Lower. A -5 or maybe a -10 even. Or else it would be practically impossible for the guy with the full-plate and the tower shield to get up.

*imagines paladin tumbling head over heels down a staircase*

Heeheehee. Stupid paladins.

I dunno...have you ever tried climbing stairs in full plate and carrying a tower shield? Given the prediliction for medieval style stairs to actually be quite narrow and steep, I'd imagine it's quite difficult.

gallagher
2009-12-11, 11:17 AM
if you are a dire ape (size huge) it would be much simpler, as one could easily climb the empire state building

taltamir
2009-12-11, 02:16 PM
I dunno...have you ever tried climbing stairs in full plate and carrying a tower shield? Given the prediliction for medieval style stairs to actually be quite narrow and steep, I'd imagine it's quite difficult.

they weigh less than a modern soldier's backpack, and are distributed about the body...
It is about as unwieldly as your highschool backpack.

From the SRD: — A perfectly smooth, flat, vertical surface cannot be climbed.

Really? it is only a DC85 escape artist for a medium sized humanoid to squeeze through a 2 inch hole... and a DC105 to "pass" through a solid wall of force.

Besides which, suction cups, pick + studs, etc allow you to climb a perfectly smooth flat surface.

Eloel
2009-12-11, 02:27 PM
Also from the SRD, from the part where you got your 'pass from wall of force' thing.

70 A perfectly smooth, flat, vertical surface
100 A perfectly smooth, flat, overhang or ceiling

tonberrian
2009-12-11, 02:28 PM
they weigh less than a modern soldier's backpack, and are distributed about the body...

Really? it is only a DC85 escape artist for a medium sized humanoid to squeeze through a 2 inch hole... and a DC105 to "pass" through a solid wall of force.

Besides which, suction cups, pick + studs, etc allow you to climb a perfectly smooth flat surface.

Actually, it's "only" DC 70 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#climb), or an even 100 for perfectly smooth ceilings. I wanna play Spiderman now.

EDIT: Ninjas.

NEO|Phyte
2009-12-11, 02:28 PM

Since we're quoting Epic numbers and all...

Climb
The character can climb otherwise unclimbable surfaces.
DC Surface
70 A perfectly smooth, flat, vertical surface
100 A perfectly smooth, flat, overhang or ceiling

taltamir
2009-12-11, 02:29 PM
so doing a spiderman on a perfect smooth marble ceiling is mere DC100? sweet!

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 02:31 PM
Epic Skill uses should not function in an anti-magic field.

that is all

taltamir
2009-12-11, 03:38 PM
Epic Skill uses should not function in an anti-magic field.

that is all

... epic magic explicitly CAN ignore AMF, while non epic magic cannot.
If epic skill uses is "magical", then it should fall under the same umbrella.

ericgrau
2009-12-11, 05:18 PM
Not all things done or owned by epic characters are epic spellcasting. Not even a lot of things done by epic spellcasters. IIRC even epic magic items would still be affected.

I think epic skill checks are really stupidly impossible extraordinary non-magical feats so they wouldn't be affected... even though I'd hate to play with such crazy rules. But either way the point is moot because you'd need crazy magic items to reach such DCs and they would be negated in an antimagic field.

Back on topic: The PCs will most likely want to bring rope and grappling hooks to make the climbing easier. And whether they do or don't use those, also remind them to take 10's when they're not in combat, rather than making the game devolve into "The 3 Stooges meets skill check rolls".