PDA

View Full Version : Foamfighting (Bel/Dag) in the playground?

Force
2009-12-10, 07:06 PM
Just curious as to whether or not anyone else here foamfights (AKA participates in Belegarth/Dagorhir-style activities). Started recently myself after participating in a mini-event with two friends who've been talking it up to me for years.

13_CBS
2009-12-10, 07:08 PM
I'd like to, but I have no idea whether or not there are any reputable and populous groups in Philadelphia.

Icewalker
2009-12-10, 07:17 PM
I'd like to, but I have no idea whether or not there are any reputable and populous groups in Philadelphia.

There is, in fact. One of the couple of player-made groups set up in the style of The Wayfinder Experience. I don't know the details about it myself, as I've only been to the New York based full Wayfinder summer stuff one year, and I go to another similar group out here in the bay area (Westfinder), but I should be able to find an email address or some such for them.

May be a slightly different setup, but it's the same basic concept.

They run standard Capture the Flag (with swords):
-Sat. 1-4 in Clark Park, 43rd and Baltimore.

-Sun. 1-4 at Allen's Lane Art Center in Mt. Airy, Allens Lane and McCallum St.

- Star Garden, Thursdays at 6th and Lombard. 3-5 pm.

And try the email philly(at)wayfinderexperience.com. No guarantees that'll work.

Linkavitch
2009-12-10, 09:18 PM
I went to a birthday party where we did dagorhir stuff, and I played with my cousin a few times, but that's about it. When I did play, though, I owned.

Force
2009-12-10, 09:27 PM
The Wayfinder Experience looks a bit more like a LARP then what I'm used to, but yeah, something like that.

@13_CBS: There is a Dagorhir unit in your area that meets at 'Pennypack Park' called Taurendor. Looks to be pretty sizeable. http://taurendor.bravehost.com/

@Icewalker: What do you fight with, latex?

Pocketa
2009-12-10, 09:53 PM
I go to a group which uses the Amtgard rule book. Not that flurby (into roleplaying that is), we're stick jocks. Weapons are made of PVC covered in FunNoodle, or anything that follows code (no eyepokingout, etc.).

Body is made of quadrants. Torso, arms, legs. 1 torso shot kills you, 2 shots on the same arm can kill you, 2 shots on any limb can kill you. Armor adds a certain amount of armor points (shots you can survive in an area) to the area it is worn. Headshots are illegal/discouraged.

You gain credits, 1 credit per week, a maximum of 5(?) credits per month (so you can't just grind all month), every 12 credits is a level. You take a level test and if you answer q's about your class correctly, you get to go to the next level. 6 levels total, over a year to master a class but it's way worth it and you'll be ridiculously great at the game. You can switch your first 4 credits to the class of your choice, encouraging experimentation during the first month.

Half the counties in Texas have a group.

http://www.amtgardrecords.com/atlas/

Link to their "atlas".

WalkingTarget
2009-12-11, 09:31 AM
I participated in the Numenor group in Champaign for a few years back before the Belegarth/Dagorhir split. Went to a few Octoberfest events, but otherwise just did the Saturday morning sessions. I was strictly sword-and-board, personally, but never got around to investing in armor. It was fun, but I never got into it as much as other people did. It was a way to get some exercise and work off school stress.

Icewalker
2009-12-11, 11:43 AM
We use a specific variety of ethofoam, I don't remember exactly what, bends well so it won't injure but still makes sturdy weapons.