PDA

View Full Version : Solo Campaign

KingVic
2009-12-10, 08:13 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to make a solo campaign for my bro. I'm currently using the Pathfinder core rulebook and bestiary. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks and advance.

Skeletor
2009-12-10, 08:18 PM
If he's interested in playing a thief type, you can shrink the scope and have him do a sort of solo banditry of a city. Starting with his initial life as a poor pick pocket to legendary thief. If he gets creative he can get involved in theif guild politics or even start his own thief guild stuff.

Eldariel
2009-12-10, 08:22 PM
Well, class is gonna be big. Few classes can solo traditional campaigns (pretty much Clerics, Druids, Wizards and maybe Sorcerers and Rogues), but each class offers some options not normally available when soloed.

A Thieves'/Assassins' Guild game could be extremely interesting for Rogue, Bard or Ranger and some manner of Mages' Guild-game could be likewise interesting for Sorcerers and Wizards.

Overall, playing classes in their logical professions instead of adventurers (but in active role as enforcers or the like to still keep the D&D feel in it) could make for a very nice solo campaign. Though especially a Druid or a Cleric can be a one-man adventuring party so if you want a traditional game, that's a good plan.

Also, Gestalt and Leadership are things to consider; when you're alone, having a cohort to handle the "other side" and having two-class progression to cover multiple things really helps.

Edwin
2009-12-10, 08:35 PM
Another big thing about doing a Solo adventure is the opportunities the PC has, something he wouldn't normally be able to do when in a group.

When one PC is running a guild, to use a crude example, the other players will rarely find the duties the guildmaster administers as fun as the guildmaster himself.

But, as I said, that's very crude. Your PC can get possession of an airship, lead an army, be a dragon, search ancient dungeons for powerful spellbooks, you name it.

Hat-Trick
2009-12-10, 08:39 PM
Listen to all advice given so far, but remember that encounters have to be easier, CR is figured for a four man team. Something to remember.

Koury
2009-12-10, 08:46 PM
Speaking of CRs, traps can be good for XP, if you let them award them.

Extended Bane Trap: CR 3; magic device; proximity trigger (Detect Good); automatic reset; spell effect (Extended Bane, 3rd level cleric, DC 13 Will save negates); Search DC 27; Disable Device DC 27

DC 13 will save defeats a CR 3 'encounter'. 900 XP quick, if you want to get your brother some XP early. And the consequence for failing isn't death, which is always nice.

crimson77
2009-12-10, 09:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to make a solo campaign for my bro. I'm currently using the Pathfinder core rulebook and bestiary. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks and advance.

If you are new to DMing or your brother is new to D&D then I would suggest you play a fighter NPC that is traveling with your brother. The fighter is there to help him overcome too strong of monsters for a single character.

I also really like the idea presented by Eldariel, a thief campaign can be very fun for a single player. If this is his first game then just roll up a balanced 1st level thief for him. This way you do not detract from his enjoyment by having him spend an hour(s) learning how to make a character.

Another option would be to run him through a tutorial on how to do things, like they do in many video games. You could have the thieves guild have a practice mission for him where he would have to use some skill checks, some fighting, grappling, etc. They could even catch him sometimes and make him do things over (e.g., if he failed a hide check).

Just my two cp

KingVic
2009-12-10, 10:05 PM
This isn't my bro's or my first time playing but were fairly new (but i know all the rules by having read the player's handbook twice. now all I'm missing is reading the new pathfinder rules).

My brother usually likes to play warrior type characters but maybe i could convince him to be a rogue (or ranger since it's pretty close to being a warrior/rogue).

btw i really like your ideas crimson77 and Eldariel gestalt and a quick in game tutorial to get some fast xp (and teach him to do other things than roll a die for a normal hit)

Also, if anybody has any, i need some tips for converting a normal adventure from pathfinder (4 to 6 players) to a solo one (1 to 2 players)

just a site note but is there a way to convert pathfinder adventures to the new pathfinder core rulebook rules?

BooNL
2009-12-11, 04:51 AM
Honestly, I'd ask your brother what he wants to play. Then you create a campaign based on that.
Do not 'force' a class on him because you have a campaign idea. Let him take the first step.

This is the biggest difference between solo and party play. In a party you're accomodating to 3-8 players, in a solo you're accomodating only 1.

That said, gestalt is an excellent suggestion. Also, starting a bit higher than 1st level is recommended, as extra option are always nice. Lastly, warrior types are fine and all, but most of them do not have any abilities beyond combat.

Myrmex
2009-12-11, 05:12 AM
Regardless of what he chooses to play, never have him fight multiple creatures that are near his CR, at least until he has around 5 HD. Have him fight 4 weak goblins (give them crude equipment, disease affliction, etc), or one level 1 human warrior at level 1.

Balance is far less important, too. He can get exposed to all sorts of magic that lets him do cool things. Maybe he gets the ability to shadow jump 10 feet/day at level 3, despite being a rogue1/paladin2. Or he gets a small repertoire of sorcerer spells, even though he's a fighter. You could even let him acquire a template or something later on, without having to worry about LA.

Don't be afraid to award him bonus skill points, letting him get access to more skills, feats, etc.

crimson77
2009-12-11, 11:32 AM
Also, if anybody has any, i need some tips for converting a normal adventure from pathfinder (4 to 6 players) to a solo one (1 to 2 players)

I would suggest not converting an adventure to a solo one. This will take you just as long as writing up a new adventure. Additionally, things will get kind of lost in the translation because most adventures are based around one player's strengths balancing anothers' weakness. One character will have many faults.

You could either give him more characters to play, but this will most likely result in him getting fatigued from trying to remember everything. You could increase his level to account for only one player but this will unbalance the adventure.

One option would be looking for another adventure that is designed for solo play.

One thing that I will typically do with solo games is just ask the character, so what do you do? Then I will react to the player's decisions and before long we have an adventure brewing. However, you have to be good thinking on your feet.

KingVic
2009-12-11, 06:17 PM
One option would be looking for another adventure that is designed for solo play..

I've seen a few of those for 2nd edition but never for third/pathfinder edition. Do you guys know any?