PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the Slopes in the Playground

Thajocoth
2009-12-10, 08:41 PM
I've been looking forward to riding my snowboard for a while. Trips to Windham Mountain were canceled on the 6th due to lack of cold enough weather to make snow. Now... Just as I'm about to sign up for the trip on the 13th, which Windham IS open for... The page vanishes! The bus going there has been canceled due to lack of interest! My friend and I, who both want to go, are severely disappointed. We'd rent a car, but neither of us drive, so now we're trying to think of somebody else we could get to come with us who'll also drive us.

I brought up all my gear this morning, made sure it still fit and stuff... I've been looking forward to this since March 15th (last time I rode my snowboard). Every Tuesday & Thursday for the past several weeks, while at the train station, there's been this poster up advertising the very mountain I was signing up to get to. The mountain's open, the bus just isn't going there this Sunday. So frustrating!

Anyone else really looking forward to hitting the slopes this season?

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-10, 08:44 PM
If I'm, ironically, lucky, I'll be going with my friends during the holidays.

The reason it's ironic is because I live in a frikkin' resort town. There's a ski resort a few minutes out of the area. :smalltongue:

Not to mention the Marinas, Beaches, Golf Courses...

thubby
2009-12-10, 08:59 PM
i hope i get up on the slopes this year. i missed out last year and it's been killing me
(the slopes are so far away it's a weekend affair)
my stuff is probably buried under halloween stuff by now :smalleek:

Linkavitch
2009-12-10, 09:16 PM
Hopefully I'll be going to the local ski resort next month sometime. I have no details though.:smallfrown:

Thajocoth
2009-12-10, 09:59 PM
Update: They canceled both the 12th & 13th initially. However...
Due to interest, trip for 12/12 to Windham has been reinstated, pending participation. They reinstated the wrong day!!! Tomorrow night, I'm seeing a bunch of friends I haven't seen in months in Manhattan, and will be there until probably about 2am, which makes returning to Long Island to catch a 4am bus to Windham impossible! And if I wait for the bus to reach Manhattan instead, bringing my equipment to the party, I would not be able to get enough sleep. The 12th is a logistical nightmare for me! (I would also have to cancel a D&D session scheduled for that day.)

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-10, 11:13 PM
Will probably go to Whistler once or twice during the break but I'm not a big fan of freezing my ass off.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-10, 11:20 PM
My family used to ski all the time. Now they plan trips for when I'm not there, for reasons I can't fathom. I mean, they spent a bunch of money on ski equipment for us and I never get to go because I go back to college.

13_CBS
2009-12-10, 11:26 PM
I tried several times to figure out how to snowboard. I've ridden skis before, and I picked them up pretty quickly (though I'm still too much of a coward to handle anything beyond a bunny slope, even though my technique is good enough so that I theoretically could), but snowboards...

...now I know how my computer-illiterate mom feels like when she's trying to figure out how to use the Mac. :smalleek: How do I ride snowboard? (http://techoffensive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/shotweb.jpg)

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-10, 11:50 PM
Will probably go to Whistler once or twice during the break but I'm not a big fan of freezing my ass off.

Considering you are also from Canuckistan, I would expect you to be accustomed to cold weather. :smalltongue:

I've never been to Whistler. What's it like there?

THAC0
2009-12-11, 12:43 AM
I don't mind going to our little local place. It's cheap and there's nothing really above my skill level. But the husband wants to go to Alyeska, which I am not a huge fan of because it's expensive and he'll try to trick me into going to the top of the really big mountain again and I will have to slowly and painstakingly inch my way down again before calling it a day and sitting in the bar for the next few hours.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-11, 01:59 AM
Considering you are also from Canuckistan, I would expect you to be accustomed to cold weather. :smalltongue:

I've never been to Whistler. What's it like there?
Well, considering I'm also Russian, my friends expect me to wear a t-shirt when it's -20 so I would expect myself to be accustomed to the cold.. :smallsigh:

However, my post did say I don't like freezing my ass off, implying I'm not very good and have to sit on my ass for a significant amount of time... :smalltongue:

That said, Whistler is really nice. The ride down can take you something like 30 minutes at the very-very least if you're good and carve. If you suck, it's something like an hour. Driving there is a pain though - windy snowed in mountain roads that are blocked what seems like every second day I want to go there (although that's just my luck).

drakir_nosslin
2009-12-11, 03:55 AM
My sister is going on a trip to some resort place in France for two weeks after christmas, and now I'm wondering if that's what I should spend my hard earned money on. It's that or stuff for a new apartment.
I haven't been snowboarding since last december, so I really would love to go, and I've never been to the alps.
On the other hand, it would be really cool to buy this awesome blackboard/bookshelf combo that I had in mind. And a new couch.
We'll see, but if I go, I'm gonna have a Nessus of a time!