PDA

View Full Version : [Eberron] Brainstorming: Plot Ideas at the Court of Fairhaven

Naturax
2009-12-10, 09:39 PM
For many months now I've really, really wanted to run a game in which each of the players takes on one of the key personalities at the royal court of Fairhaven:

Aurala ir'Wynarn, Queen of Aundair, Commander of The Royal Eyes of Aundair
Adal ir'Wynarn, Warlord and Minister of Magic of Aundair
Darro ir'Lain, Lord of Aundair's Knights Arcane
Sasik d'Vadalis, consort of the Queen of Aundair, brother to Baron Dalin d'Vadalis
Baron Kwanti d'Orien
Baron Jorlanna d'Cannith
Firstborn Esravash d'Lyrandar

I really want the game to happen in two different spheres: the personal relationships between these individuals, and the political relationships between the organizations they represent. What I really want is to contrive some kind of situation that will cause conflict between the players in different ways in both spheres. I know that currently the situation is tense, what with Aurala/Adal/Darro all wanting to pull the military in different directions, but I want that to be one of many factors that the players have to consider as they navigate dangerous political waters.

But something has to be at stake. I'm not sure what I can do to "set off" a situation that will get each of these factions involved. I'd love to hear any thoughts that you might have.

The only thing I've got in mind so far is the Ashbound getting themselves with Lycanthropy and threatening to start the spread of Lycranthropy again as they begin a massive campaign of attacks on House Vadalis, but I'm concerned that it's too far removed from the individuals listed above to work. I'm looking for some other ideas to add/consider.

AslanCross
2009-12-11, 06:56 AM
One of Aundair's biggest enemies is its neighbor, Thrane. An invasion could be a very powerful catalyst for instability.

There was also Dragon Magazine article that said one of the Rakshasa Rajahs was buried somewhere under Aundair. The presence of a powerful Lords of Dust cabal infiltrating Aundair could be another way to sway the teetering balance.

Naturax
2009-12-15, 03:23 PM
One of Aundair's biggest enemies is its neighbor, Thrane. An invasion could be a very powerful catalyst for instability.

There was also Dragon Magazine article that said one of the Rakshasa Rajahs was buried somewhere under Aundair. The presence of a powerful Lords of Dust cabal infiltrating Aundair could be another way to sway the teetering balance.

Thanks for this, Aslan!

I have done some more thinking and reading about this, and I definitely want to focus on the waning power of the Korth Edicts. I'd love for the Houses to really test the royalty's resolve by trying to get away with something HUGE. Like Lyrandar trying to wipe out Orien, or maybe something less predictable.

I'm looking for suggestions, though! Lyrandar amassing a fleet of airships is great and all, but what are they planning to do with them?