PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in the Playground!

Eon
2009-12-10, 09:55 PM
Hey, this is my second week of the swim team and I figured it might be fun to see who else likes to swim!

So... who likes to swim!?

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-10, 10:02 PM
I do! Not good at it though... (I mean I'm not fast.)

Zocelot
2009-12-10, 10:06 PM
I used to swim a lot, but never enjoyed it much. I stopped for about a year, because I got all the certification I could get before I was 16. However, I recently turned 16, so it looks like I'm going to start swimming again in January.

Copacetic
2009-12-10, 10:09 PM
I like swimming but I wasn't really into the whole competitve thing. So I'm going to get certified as a life guard and work at a pool.

scsimodem
2009-12-10, 10:25 PM
I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years and received several mid-level awards at the state level during that time. I loved every minute of it, and my knowledge is at your disposal.

Mr. Mud
2009-12-10, 10:29 PM
I've swam for almost 14 years now, 12 competitively...

Last summer I had a 00:25:03 50m Freestyle... *shrugs*

CDR_Doom
2009-12-10, 10:44 PM
I like to swim non-competitively. It's good exercise and I enjoy it far more than I do running here in Florida, so I tend to spend a lot of time in the water.

Haruki-kun
2009-12-10, 11:46 PM
Swimming in the Playground!

Why would you swim in the playground? Wouldn't it make more sense to swim in a pool? Or in the ocean for that matter? :smallconfused:

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-11, 12:13 AM
I love to swim, particularly at the beach.

Boo
2009-12-11, 12:35 AM
Why would you swim in the playground? Wouldn't it make more sense to swim in a pool? Or in the ocean for that matter? :smallconfused:

You've probably never heard of street-swimming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGQyMF5a_0).

rayne_dragon
2009-12-11, 01:22 AM
I love swimming, just not this time of year. I'm a water sign, though, so I've always loved (almost) anything to do with water.

Eon
2009-12-11, 10:23 PM
I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years and received several mid-level awards at the state level during that time. I loved every minute of it, and my knowledge is at your disposal.

Any tips for improving my entry dive?

Roukon
2009-12-11, 10:28 PM
I love to swim and would swim more to keep in shape, but no pool around here has free swim hours when I can use it.

Got to keep people safe with lifeguards, I guess.

Later Days,
Roukon

Jack Squat
2009-12-11, 10:33 PM
I scuba, does that count? It's basically swimming, but we kinda cheat - what fins and all.

Eon
2009-12-11, 10:57 PM
I scuba, does that count? It's basically swimming, but we kinda cheat - what fins and all.

what are you talking about? Fins are fun!:smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2009-12-11, 11:04 PM
what are you talking about? Fins are fun!:smallbiggrin:

oh, they definetly are; especially when you've got the slotted ones that propel you about twice as far as the fixed ones, and take less energy to use. Of course, most of the time I don't really even kick and just float and poke around at stuff.

SCUBA diving - The extreme sport of being lazy :smalltongue:

Copacetic
2009-12-11, 11:08 PM
Those fins are great fun to play with in the water. They let you move deceptively fast, if not very effeciently.

Mr. Mud
2009-12-11, 11:39 PM
Any tips for improving my entry dive?

[insert bascis here], and don't forget your toes, curled over the edge of course, should leave the block last. Try to touch the flags, and look up, and at the very last second, point your head down and take in your air. But don't go too shallow or deep, so you're have the perfect amount of water resistance in your streamline.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-11, 11:55 PM
You've probably never heard of street-swimming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGQyMF5a_0).

I can't tell whether I should click on this or not.

Swimming is best when it's nice and cool.

Serpentine
2009-12-11, 11:55 PM
I live in Australia.

Alarra
2009-12-12, 12:01 AM
I was on swimteam for 6 years. Definitely my favorite type of exercise. When we were looking for a gym to join, one of the requirements was that it have a pool. We used to swim almost every morning, although we've been lazy since August. Must get back to gym. :smallsmile:

Recaiden
2009-12-12, 12:48 AM
I swim! I've been on my high school swimming team for 4 years. I'm still not really good, but I enjoy it, and am still getting better.
I somehow ended up being good at breaststroke. :smallconfused:

llamamushroom
2009-12-12, 07:56 AM
Well, I just got back from my friends birthday party, where we spent 4 hours in his pool. Night swimming is fun. So is Marco Polo.

Eon
2009-12-12, 10:11 AM
[insert bascis here], and don't forget your toes, curled over the edge of course, should leave the block last. Try to touch the flags, and look up, and at the very last second, point your head down and take in your air. But don't go too shallow or deep, so you're have the perfect amount of water resistance in your streamline.

>>
<<
i think the basics is where the problem is :smalleek:

Perenelle
2009-12-12, 08:12 PM
I'm on my High School's swim team. Though I have never swam competitively until now, I'm really enjoying it and doing much better than I expected. My events for the meets are the 200 meter freestyle and a relay that I swim freestyle in as well. Fun stuff. :smallbiggrin:
I was a little nervous diving off the block at first, but now I've gotten used to it. I'm still learning how to do flip turns right though.

skywalker
2009-12-13, 04:23 PM
I live in Australia.

Yes, and?

Well, I just got back from my friends birthday party, where we spent 4 hours in his pool. Night swimming is fun. So is Marco Polo.

Night swimming is the best!

In the summertime, my to-do list generally includes "swim" about 6 days out of the week. Love the ocean, love the lake, love the pool. Not an incredible swimmer, tho. I just like the wetness.

Maelstrom
2009-12-13, 04:57 PM
SCUBA diving - The extreme sport of being lazy :smalltongue:

You don't dive much, do you?

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-13, 08:22 PM
Haven't really swum in close to 12 years(Maybe twice when I was in basic training back in the army 10 years ago). Used to be a lot more active up till about the age of 16, when studies and other stuff took up too much of my free time. Could I have swum competitively? Maybe. But given the land shortage, most neighbourhood schools could at best, provide only the most rudimentary swimming lessons, no real dedication to build a swimming team.

Jack Squat
2009-12-13, 08:53 PM
You don't dive much, do you?

Not as much as I like, but enough...couple trips per year at the very least. And since I'm landlocked (and broke), that pretty much means the going to the quarries around here or the lake, no cool reefs to poke through (though I did learn to dive the first time round in Cozumel).

I was really just joking that in most extreme sports (i.e. BMX, skateboarding, surfing, trick skiing, etc.) you're working towards doing some big new physical activity, or doing something in a faster time. With scuba, you buy equipment so you don't have to work as much at getting around (special fins, sea-scooters, etc.) and work more towards things that will let you stay down longer, which means using less air, which means moving around less. I'd actually compare it more to hiking along a nature trail than a "true" sport. Sure there's physical activity and you're better off if you're in better shape, but the point is to look at the scenery, not get through it the fastest.

Tek diving differs from recreational, of course. And I've no experience with it, only being OWII & Nitrox cert'd.

Groundhog
2009-12-16, 10:04 PM
I swam in middle and high school, and it was awesome.

KilltheToy
2009-12-16, 10:43 PM
I don't do much competitive swimming. Given I didn't really learn how to swim till I was 14, and couldn't do a backstroke till this summer, I think you see why.

It really didn't help that the idea of drowning terrifies me to no end. Diving boards were a challenge, given they combined the only things I'm actually afraid of, drowning and falling to my death. I have yet to willingly jump off a diving board without a brief moment of freaking out.

ThreadKiller
2009-12-17, 01:30 AM

Heh, a '90s cartoon - what blast from the past!

I don't swim, unfortunately. I probably should, since it's a useful skill.

Groundhog
2009-12-17, 07:52 PM
I don't do much competitive swimming. Given I didn't really learn how to swim till I was 14, and couldn't do a backstroke till this summer, I think you see why.

It really didn't help that the idea of drowning terrifies me to no end. Diving boards were a challenge, given they combined the only things I'm actually afraid of, drowning and falling to my death. I have yet to willingly jump off a diving board without a brief moment of freaking out.

That's kind of funny, because what motivated me to learn to swim was the fact that I nearly drowned one summer when another kid jumped on my back in the pool. Before that, the only thing I could do was doggy-paddle.

Arutema
2009-12-18, 03:18 AM
I swim non-competitively, mostly in an attempt to lose weight and get/keep fit.

Not at the beaches though, the San Francisco Bay is icy-cold.

Amiel
2009-12-18, 03:21 AM
I like swimming, find it relaxing and enjoyable; I like swimming at the beach or in pools. We used to have a pool, seriously not worth it, unfortunately :(
I like exploring rock pools.

As an Australian, I am obligated to point out that every Aussies is capable of swimming, probably before they are able to walk and are good swimmers to boot; being surrounded by water as an island does tend to produce good swimmers.

Mary Leathert
2009-12-18, 06:41 AM
I have recently started to go to the local swimming hall about once a week as a part of my project to lose some weight and get more fit.

But...I don't actually swim there, I water jog. It's quite fun, and I like the fact that because my head is over water all the time, I can keep the sense of my surroundings easily. When swimming, I might not notice that I'm about to bump into something or someone.

Zanaril
2009-12-18, 06:46 AM
I used to be in a swimming club, so I can swim pretty well... but I've never really enjoyed it. I just hate water too much.