PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Still working on my level 1 gestalt...

Zovc
2009-12-10, 11:57 PM
I'm thinking about gestalting a Crusader. I'm making a level 1 character and I want to have as much endurance (/healing) as possible.

I'm considering just adding druid to get an animal companion so that I can benefit from using white raven maneuvers.

What would be the best thing to gestalt with a Crusader? Trapfinding would be nice, but I'm willing to cut it if it means becoming a significantly better character overall.

Draz74
2009-12-11, 12:21 AM
If the Animal Companion is the only reason you want Druid (i.e. because you're never going to get chances to rest and recover your spells), then just take the Wild Cohort feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) instead.

If resting to recover spells normally isn't an option, then the only class that can really add healing ability at Level 1 to what the Crusader already has is Dragon Shaman. It's not a very good class as you get into higher levels, though.

I'd suggest Factotum overall. Its overall versatility is terribly nice for a solo character. (You mentioned Trapfinding?) It eventually gains non-broken spellcasting for whatever magic needs you find yourself with. And at Level 5 it even gets some decent backup healing abilities.

Tanaric
2009-12-11, 12:35 AM
Trust me, for what he's making the character for, you'll want as much broken spellcasting as you can get your paws on.

Factotum is still a solid choice, of course.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 12:38 AM
Trust me, for what he's making the character for, you'll want as much broken spellcasting as you can get your paws on.

Factotum is still a solid choice, of course.

Then again, so long as I make it two floors, I can always make a new character, right? Not trying to 'abuse the system', but that is how things work, right? :P

Tanaric
2009-12-11, 12:39 AM
I've amended it to being able to recreate on each floor, due to massive amounts of character deaths. So yeah.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 12:42 AM
I've amended it to being able to recreate on each floor, due to massive amounts of character deaths. So yeah.

Oh snap, bracing for epic.

Also, Wild cohorts are handled as move actions, not free actions. :(

Draz74
2009-12-11, 12:45 AM
They still don't suck. Especially since many White Raven maneuvers you'll be wanting to use are either a swift or a standard ... I don't think any White Ravens are a full-round action.

Tanaric
2009-12-11, 12:45 AM
If you don't want Druid, you could always take something that gets a familiar and swap it for a (delayed progression) animal companion with the UA variant.

Druid gets you an AC and wands of vigor, though.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 12:48 AM
Your wording for how dual progression classes confused me, Tanaric--could you rephrase them?

Just curious.

Tanaric
2009-12-11, 12:51 AM
Instead of outright banning them, they're available as long as all levels of both classes to be progressed are on the same side of the gestalt.

Thus, wizardX/ClericX/MTheurgeX//Whatever is okay, but WizardX/WhateverX//ClericX/MTheurgeX isn't.

Zovc
2009-12-11, 12:58 AM
Okay, that makes sense, thanks.

What about something like:

Class X/Geomancer Z
Gestalted with
Cleric 3/Wizard 3/MT Y/Spellcasting PrC z

...is it okay to later spill progression over to the other side? I guess that is a better way to ask.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-11, 01:05 AM
I also wondered that...do I need all levels of class x on that side, or just enough levels to fulfill the requirements?

The first option makes it relatively easy to screw yourself out of PrCs if you're not careful, the latter option just makes you wait to get in.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-11, 02:22 AM
Well, for starters, I like Dread Necro/Warlock with Tomb-tainted.

Unlimited healing, unlimited offense.

Once you do the swap out, if you can Gestalt one side?

Dread Necro 6 / UrPriest 2 / MT 8 / Dread Necro +3 /// Sorceror 17 / Archmage 3

Now you have 9/9/9 casting (Cleric at level 15, Sorceror at 18, Dread Necro at 20), a boatload of spells (for long duration between rests), limitless healing, and access to DMM on both Arcane (Dread Necro) and Divine (UrPriest).

Grumman
2009-12-11, 04:31 AM
Warforged Artificer / Crusader. You get adamantine full plate at first level, at the cost of a feat, and have two sources of healing. And Artificer gives you trapfinding.

Zaydos
2009-12-11, 04:45 AM
Well, for starters, I like Dread Necro/Warlock with Tomb-tainted.

Unlimited healing, unlimited offense.

Once you do the swap out, if you can Gestalt one side?

Dread Necro 6 / UrPriest 2 / MT 8 / Dread Necro +3 /// Sorceror 17 / Archmage 3

Now you have 9/9/9 casting (Cleric at level 15, Sorceror at 18, Dread Necro at 20), a boatload of spells (for long duration between rests), limitless healing, and access to DMM on both Arcane (Dread Necro) and Divine (UrPriest).

How does this qualify for UrPriest at that level? It needs +3 base Fort to enter and Dread Necro 6//Sorcerer 6 only has +2 base Fort.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-11, 05:16 AM
You can just as easily do D.N. 9 / Ur priest 2 / MT 8 / DN +1 .

Or, if you don't mind throwing things around a bit:

Paladin of X 2 / DN 5 / Urpriest 2 / MT 8 / DN +3 // Sorc 7 / DN +2 / Sorc +8 / Archmage +3

Now you end up as a DN 10 (+8 MT levels), an Ur priest 2 (+8 MT levels), and a Sorc 15 (+3 Archmage levels).

Cleric 9 by level 15
Sorc 9 by 20
DN 9 by 20

Cha to saves, as well.