PDA

View Full Version : Building an illusionist [3.5]

penbed400
2009-12-10, 11:58 PM
Hey everyone, so I'm planning on building an illusionist and was wondering if you guys could help me out. PrC suggestions, good feat suggestions, item suggestions and whatnot.

Any sourcebook is fine as long as you list which one its from and its WotC material. I don't want anything particularly cheesy, in fact I was thinking of a more jester-like feel being put into it if you know anything that would help with that it would be most appreciated.

Current idea was to go Wizard 5/Shadow Adept 2/Shadowcraft Mage 3 and continue on from there, any thoughts?

Any other information that you would like, just ask and I'll edit it into the original post.

erikun
2009-12-11, 01:57 AM
Shadowcraft Mage is absurdly good, from what I hear.

I've only played with illusions a bit, but here's what I've found. Gnomes +1 DC is handy, especially with the Spell Focus feats. Heighten Spell metamagic will increase the DC of illusions indirectly, and you don't always need the extra features of higher level illusions. Casting an illusion outside of a monster's melee reach can be just as effective as overcoming its saving throw, especially when the rogue needs a square to hide in. (Remember that there are no saving throws if you don't interact with it!) Everyone who saves against an illusion (including you, if desired) can see right through it.

Most lower level illusions require concentration, so you can't do anything else.

Wizard 4/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3) with Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer) loses two Wizard spell levels, but allows you to spend Sorcerer spell slots for metamagic on Wizard spells. Quite handy when needing to cast a Still, Silent spell without notice. Wizard 4/Bard 1/Ultimate Magus gives a bit more versality in exchange for spell slots, including skills Use Magic Device.

[EDIT] Nevermind, the Bard doesn't learn Forgery. UMD is also a Magus skill, though.

BobVosh
2009-12-11, 02:34 AM
I can't find it in a quick google seach, but deadly gnome is a great build. 100% real illusions. Actually I think it eventually gets to 120%. Also gnome substitution levels from Races of stone are good for the wizard route.

Keld Denar
2009-12-11, 03:28 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864158/Shadowcraft_Illusionist__Killer_Gnome

Note, that with Earth Spell, you qualify for ScM after level 5, meaning you could play a Wiz5/ScM5.