PDA

View Full Version : Odd sensations

Setra
2009-12-11, 03:12 AM
Alright there's already a thread on agony, so this one is more about 'some of the oddest things you've felt'.

The oddest thing I've felt recently, would probably be that.. well I recently got two teeth removed, and they haven't filled in with skin or gum or what have you yet, and whenever I hiccup with my mouth closed, somehow my cheek is temporarily sucked into the gap where the teeth were.. It's definitely an odd sensation.

Faulty
2009-12-11, 03:19 AM
Having my stomach pumped. It's painful, but it's also immensely bizarre to have a slick wet tube shoved up your nose and down your throat. They had to hold me down.

Yarram
2009-12-11, 03:30 AM
I find touching velvet really creepy. You know the shivering feeling you get when nails go down a blackboard or a Soprano sings out of tune?
I don't get it from nails, but from touching velvet.

golentan
2009-12-11, 03:36 AM
I find touching velvet really creepy. You know the shivering feeling you get when nails go down a blackboard or a Soprano sings out of tune?

I get it from both.

The oddest feeling I've ever had was one of my weird neurological moments that have never been successfully explained. I couldn't move my legs, and felt like I was wrapped in dry cotton *and* was wet.

rayne_dragon
2009-12-11, 11:20 AM
Getting my tattoo - it's a very unique sensation that I don't think I've heard properly described very often.

Falling in love can be a really weird feeling as well.

Linkavitch
2009-12-11, 11:25 AM
When I hit my open palm against the base of my skull, my entire nervous system feels like it suddenly got midly shocked with electricity. Probably not the best thing I could do to my nervous system.

Dogmantra
2009-12-11, 11:34 AM
Nostalgia is a really weird and strangely strong feeling for me. Normally emotions don't have that much of a physical feeling, but nostalgia makes me feel almost like I'm going to be sick, but somehow in a good way.

Another weird sensation, also related to teeth, is when you have teeth extracted. The anaesthetic dulls the pain, but you can still feel them moving. Ugh.

Gullara
2009-12-11, 11:43 AM
When I got my braces removed (after 2.5 years) my teeth felt so smooth. I couldn't stop running my tongue over them.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-11, 11:51 AM
When my brain accidentally recognizes short-term memories as long-term memories. It makes me feel like I've seen the future.

Deadly
2009-12-11, 12:23 PM
Waking up in the middle of the night with a dead arm because blood flow had been cut off. Really, really creepy and odd. It's like a big, heavy, gelatinous thing attached to your shoulder. It feels like you could bend it in all sorts of impossible ways, or swing it around like a big rubber club (or a giant dead fish), and there's just no feeling in it at all. Good thing it returns to normal fairly quickly, the first time I totally freaked out.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 12:36 PM
When I twisted my ankle, and I could feel the blood flowing under my skin forming the bruise. I ripped off my sock and shoes, sure I was bleeding externally the sensation was so strong.
Silent explosions in my head when I am falling asleep or just dreaming. I think it might something literally called exploding head syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome). Less terminal then you would expect from the name.

Deadly
2009-12-11, 12:41 PM
Silent explosions in my head when I am falling asleep or just dreaming. I think it might something literally called exploding head syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome). Less terminal then you would expect from the name.

That's happened a few times to me as well. Always wondered what it was... thanks for the link.

CDR_Doom
2009-12-11, 03:21 PM
I had to have all my wisdom teeth surgically removed(instead of growing up, out of the gums; they grew sideways towards the front of my mouth underneath the gums making normal extraction impossible). After the procedure I had four holes in my mouth that had to be kept clean of food that would get stuck in them. shooting warm salt water out of a syringe without a needle into a hole in your jaw is one of the weirdest things I've ever felt.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 03:28 PM
That's happened a few times to me as well. Always wondered what it was... thanks for the link.
Yeah, it puzzled me for years before I found out. Glad I could help. :smallsmile:

Ilena
2009-12-11, 03:51 PM
Me? Feeling what feels like an entirely differnt body not my own, and when i move it feels like it should be moving and not my own ... done it with a human body and a centaur body, could feel EVERYTHING, it was ... amasing to say the least :P

Hmmmm anything else? Oh riding a horse doing a, dam ... forgot the name of what its called, but basicly where they use their shoulder and turn to the right or left, but basicly keep walking forward, shoulder pass but they dont stop. Its ... an amasing floating on air feeling.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-11, 04:00 PM
occasionally I'll imagine I'm falling, it will feel like I actually am and my body reacts involuntary

Dragor
2009-12-11, 04:27 PM
I hate, hate the feeling of cotton balls. It just makes me writhe my fingers with that "MUST GET RID OF THAT SENSATION" feeling.

Also, I hate wearing gloves. It feels... weird. I really can't describe it. Kind of like the cotton buds sensation, but it's a more numbing feeling. It's the way the material lightly rubs against my hand, it irritates it.

Pyrian
2009-12-11, 04:33 PM
It's not uncommon for me to somehow "trip" while lying in bed falling asleep. :smalltongue: Very annoying!

Ikialev
2009-12-11, 04:50 PM
Yeah, tripping in bed is odd. Especially when I'm not even asleep. Touching a file with nails. Getting a syringe in my eye.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-11, 04:52 PM
Forgetting you're friends with somebody, talking with them for a while and then having a ''oh yeah'' moment.

Really weird feeling.

Ilena
2009-12-11, 04:56 PM
Forgetting you're friends with somebody, talking with them for a while and then having a ''oh yeah'' moment.

Really weird feeling.

Thats just a ... whats wrong with you, moment :D Hehe :P

SMEE
2009-12-11, 05:06 PM
Waking up in the middle of the night with a dead arm because blood flow had been cut off. Really, really creepy and odd. It's like a big, heavy, gelatinous thing attached to your shoulder. It feels like you could bend it in all sorts of impossible ways, or swing it around like a big rubber club (or a giant dead fish), and there's just no feeling in it at all. Good thing it returns to normal fairly quickly, the first time I totally freaked out.

Yeah... that's an odd sensation. :smalleek:
It happens to me once in a while. Last time was two days ago. :smalleek:
You can't move your own arm. I shake my shoulder violently to make the blood flow to it faster and I can regain my arm back. :smalleek:

Altaria87
2009-12-11, 05:32 PM
The wierdest sensation I've experienced is occasionally, I will be able to feel a single blood vessel pumping in my head.
Also when I'm half-awake, half-dreaming and will randomly try to elbow somehting that isn't there.

Thajocoth
2009-12-11, 05:44 PM

For me, I just get pain from touching certain fabrics, velvet among them. Last a little afterward. I don't get it as badly as my aunt though.

-----

I got that once. Felt like my arm was next to my arm. I beat my arm against the wall until my arm and where my brain thought my arm was were the same place and it stopped being numb. Was very weird.

-----

It's not uncommon for me to somehow "trip" while lying in bed falling asleep. :smalltongue: Very annoying!

I hate that! The sudden jolt of adrenaline doesn't exactly help me fall asleep either... It's good to know I'm not the only one.

-----

When I'm really tired and I lay down and close my eyes, I'll feel like I'm spinning and falling (both quickly) even though I know I'm not. At first, it caused me to be all like "Oh crap!", but after the first few times, now my reaction's "Oh, good, I'll be asleep within a minute or two." 'cause that's the general trend I've noticed for that feeling.

Kneenibble
2009-12-11, 08:01 PM

That is so cute! :smallbiggrin:
*chases down to rub with a square of velvet for selfish pleasure*

I think...
yeah. A really involved session of contact improv is one of the oddest sensations I can think of.

Oh, and putting on clothes after shaving your legs or chest or anything else. It's like you've never really worn clothes before. Especially if the hair has grown for a while.
Oh, and the same as having long fingernails for a long time, and then cutting them, your fingertips are so sensitive.
Very odd sensations.

Edit Oh yeah! And having a little cute birdie nibble your ear. That's right odd. And so right.

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-11, 08:09 PM
When I was realy little, I had a bunch of stuff stacked up so I could get a boardgame. My stack collapsed and I actualy saw my short life flash before my eyes. I also feel wierd, like I can't stay still whenever I play dodgeball.

Pocketa
2009-12-11, 08:13 PM
Being hit in the solar plexus.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-12-11, 08:20 PM
muscle spasms in the lower lip. not painful, just really really annoying.

being sick; waking up one morning and not being able to open an eye because it is so crusted over. Kinda disgusting... but it is something that happens.

new eyeglass / contact prescription ; kinda trippy feeling.

One more... being so unbelievably tired and not being able to fall asleep...

FoE
2009-12-11, 08:22 PM
I get a strange weightless feeling sometimes when lying in bed, like you're about to lift off the covers and levitate across the room.

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-11, 08:30 PM
I get a strange weightless feeling sometimes when lying in bed, like you're about to lift off the covers and levitate across the room.

Oh my god, me too. It's so wierd!

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-11, 08:36 PM
Sometimes what happens when I'm sleeping. If I want to, I can make it feel like gravity goes sideways. I feel like I'm about to fall sideways.

And when I'm sick, and I put my head on a pillow. It feels, like... Well, I guess a flexible metal ring pushing against the side of my head would be the best way to explain it.

Krade
2009-12-13, 01:00 PM
Sometimes when I have a fitful sleep (just happens sometimes, dunno exactly why) I'll be in one of those half-dreaming, half-awake feelings where, for some reason, there are way too many pillows on my bed. My subconscious tells me these are extradimensional versions of my regular pillows and they are comfortable no matter how they are moved. Yeah...

onthetown
2009-12-17, 06:54 AM
Hmmmm anything else? Oh riding a horse doing a, dam ... forgot the name of what its called, but basicly where they use their shoulder and turn to the right or left, but basicly keep walking forward, shoulder pass but they dont stop. Its ... an amasing floating on air feeling.

Half pass or shoulder-in/out?

The feeling you get when you're awake but your body still thinks it's asleep, so you can't move... Usually if I just wake up or right before I fall asleep if I get woken up by a sound... you know you're awake and you want to scream at your body to move, but you can't. It freaks me out.

Oh, and the feeling you get when you're almost asleep, have the sensation that you're walking somewhere (for some reason I visualize mist or fog), then suddenly fall and you wake up thinking you fell out of your ceiling or something. :smallbiggrin:

I almost forgot! When I was younger, I tried chewing on jeans. The feel of the fabric against my teeth freaked me right out and felt reeeeally weird... now every time I look at denim I think about that feeling and shiver. It's like the touching velvet thing (which I can't stand either).

Deadbolt
2009-12-17, 07:33 AM
I hate it when my internal temperature and external tempurature conflict each other. Such as when I feel overheated, but my skin is cold to the touch. A more common example would be when my skin is sunburnt, but my flesh is cold.

As a side note, I really like velvet. I just thought I should mention that in case a velvet maker or some sort of velvet golem started reading this thread and started to get their feelings hurt. :smallwink:

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-17, 10:45 AM

Socks on linoleum.

The whole "shudder down the spine from out of nowhere." This one I can semi-voluntarily induce, with a specific type of "swallowing" action. It doesn't always work when I swallow my saliva, but if I focus on doing it and swallow, at least 70% of the time, there'll be chills and gooseflesh. Gotta be useful for something, although I haven't quite figured out what yet.

Sudden high-pitched squeals in my ear. I attribute most of these to the fact that I'm a little more sensitive than the average person to things like short-range radio waves or similar(walkie-talkies, mobile phones, etc.).

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-17, 03:39 PM
I recently started working as a Package handler at FedEx. Because of the work I now have thick calouses on my hands.

It's weird because my fingertips can't feel anything and whenever I run my hand against something that's less abrasive than burlap it soft and silky. It's actually pretty awesome.

Also sometimes when I used to stand up to fast and not get enough blood to my brain, there would be swimming black dots and an intense feeling of unreality. It was extra weird.

Also also, sometimes when I lift heavy objects in a certain way, my lip curls into a Elivs type sneer.