PDA

View Full Version : Marlowe and Noirbot: Private Investigators (PEACH)

Talbot
2009-12-11, 03:41 AM
This is the near-culmination of several threads' worth of development for my back-up character who will almost inevitably replace my unfortunate Soulknife in a campaign I'm playing in. Below is what I have so far for both my character and his cohort, although their ability scores and HP are likely to shift slightly as I have no intention of using the rolls I have currently (since the DM didn't see me roll them). These are both still works-in-progress, so any further help and/or advice would be much appreciated, particularly with regards to what sort of loot I should look into buying for each.

Marlowe

Male Gray Elf Factotum 10
Neutral Good

Stats:

Strength 12 (+1)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 9 (-1)
Intelligence 22 (+6)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 16 (+3)

HP: 97 (rolled 9 d8 + max first level + 6 Int per level-1 flaw HP per level)
AC: 16 before magic loot
Ref: 11
Will: 9
Fort: 2
Initiative: 10

Feats and Flaws:

Feat 1: Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Int to HP instead of Con)
Flaw 1: Frail (-1 HP per level) for Font of Inspiration (+1 Inspiration point)
Flaw 2: Vulnerable (-1 AC) for Keen Intellect (Int to Will and certain checks)
Feat 3: Font of Inspiration (+3 total Inspiration points)
Feat 6: Font of Inspiration (+6 total Inspiration points)
Feat 9: Leadership (see Noirbot, below)

Skills:

Bluff (13 Ranks)
Diplomacy (13 Ranks + 2 Bluff +2 Sense Motive)
Gather Information (13 Ranks + 2 Knowledge Local)
Hide: (10 Ranks)
Intimidate (5 Ranks + 2 Bluff)
Knowledge: Local (5 Ranks)
Listen (13 Ranks +2 Elf)
Move Silent (10 Ranks)
Profession: Detective (5 Ranks)
Search (13 Ranks +2 Elf)
Sense Motive (13 Ranks, uses Int instead of Wis)
Sleight of Hand (6 Ranks +2 Bluff)
Spot (13 Ranks +2 Elf, uses Int instead of Wis)
Autohynosis (1 Rank)
Iaijutsu Focus (8 Ranks)

DM Dependent:

The DM likes to give a Skill related Bonus Feat at first level, and in this case I'll probably request either Negotiator or Investigator. I'm also going to try and get him to let me trade in Trapfinding for the other one.

Strategy and Playstyle

Marlowe is going to generally hang back both in combat and in RP, as, like any good Private Eye (or any good Batman Wizard), he doesn't want to advertise how good he is or what he knows. He'll rely chiefly on ranged attacks when he can, throwing out the occasional SLA as needed. When forced into melee combat, he's likely to carry both a rapier and a sap. The rapier, combined with his Iaijutsu focus, is used to defend himself in life-or-death situations, while the sap can be used in ambushes or the like (backed by several Inspiration points worth of sneak attack) to quietly and non-fatally subdue someone when the situation calls for it. With a rank in Autohypnosis, he's able to memorize things at any roll of six or higher once per day, or any roll of 12 or higher whenever he wants. He carefully conceals his true motives and alignment through use of Bluff and Diplomacy, and keeps high Search, Spot, Sense Motive, Gather Information, and Listen scores in order to aid him in his role as a detective.

Background:

When he was much younger, Marlowe was happy and in love. He and his mate partook in the Faerie Mysteries ritual, but she manipulated and abandoned him, and left him bitter and cynical, forever unable to forget her over his long, long life while charged by their ritual. He left his homeland, traveled the world, and established himself as a detective, forever searching for answers. Eventually, he settled in a mix-matched community of other outcasts. He wasn't there too long before they were invaded and murdered by Rikalo the Troll King's forces. He traveled across the sea, and took a few high-profile cases in the Mageocracy. There, he met Noirbot and took the angst-ridden Warforged in as his partner/muscle.

Noirbot

Warforged Feat Rogue 4/Urban Barbarian 4
Neutral Good

Stats:

Strength 17 (+3)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Charisma 10 (+0)

HP:54
AC: 20 before magic loot
Ref:7
Will:1
Fort:7
Initiative:2

Feats and Flaws:

Feat 1) Mithril Body
Flaw 1) Shaky (-2 Ranged attack) for Mithril Fluidity
Rogue 1) Improved Unarmed Strike
Rogue 2) Improved Grapple
Feat 3) Superior Unarmed Strike
Feat 6) Combat Expertise
Rogue 4) Improved Sunder

Skills:

Bluff (7 Ranks)
Diplomacy (5 Ranks +2 Bluff)
Disguise (11 Ranks)
Gather Information (8 Ranks)
Hide (11 Ranks)
Intimidate (11 Ranks +2 Bluff)
Jump (5 Ranks +4 Speed)
Listen (9 Ranks)
Move Silent (11 Ranks)
Profession: Detective (1 Rank)
Search (5 Ranks)
Sense Motive (3 Ranks)
Spot (7 Ranks)

DM Dependent:

Hopefully he'll let me trade away Trap Finding for Urban Tracking, and Trap Sense for an extra Feat or some skill points. As mentioned above, he's fond of giving a skill-related Bonus Feat at first level, and in this case I would request either Stealthy or Skill Focus: Disguise.

Strategy and Playstyle:

Noirbot will only be with the party part of the time, often sent off on reconnaissance and/or research type missions, or left behind to guard someone. When he does participate in combat, he'll focus mostly on grappling and sundering, making good use of his embedded Battle Fist. He may occasionally intimidate as well. Outside of combat, he'll be rather quiet, so as not to detract from the other players, mostly only speaking when spoken to or when he has something useful to contribute. He's taken a lot of ranks in Disguise to allow him to pass for another race when necessary.

Background

Noirbot was a Warforged with more existential angst than most. Marlowe took him under his wing to give his life something resembling a purpose; as such, he's fiercely loyal to Marlowe... although he still questions the meaning and value of his sentience. He has a very dry and pessimistic outlook.

Talbot
2009-12-11, 08:07 PM
Sorry for the Double Post/Bump (and I won't do it again), but I'd love any advice for tweaking/equipment/massive flaws I've overlooked. The whole reason this (these) characters is (are) likely to be needed is that my initial character came out a bit too under-optimized/underpowered, and I'd like to avoid a similar fate here.

Flickerdart
2009-12-11, 08:32 PM
You might want to consider giving Noirbot some Unarmed Swordsage or Scout levels instead of what you've got now. Unless it's flavour reasons, I think they'd work better than Barbarian and Rogue.

Talbot
2009-12-11, 08:51 PM
You might want to consider giving Noirbot some Unarmed Swordsage or Scout levels instead of what you've got now. Unless it's flavour reasons, I think they'd work better than Barbarian and Rogue.

I'm not super familiar with either one of those classes (although I do want to avoid arcane or divine stuff for flavor reasons), could you please explain what they do/what the upside would be?