PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Plane Trippin': Or, I've Never Seen That Before...

Deth Muncher
2009-12-11, 07:37 AM
So here's how it is:

Currently, my players have been planeshifted to a place that's not-quite Eberron and also has influences from Dragonmech. (It is, effectively, as close as I could make to something out of Warmachine without going and buying the Iron Kingdoms book because I am a broke college student. I actually went so far as to get help to stat Karchev (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133430&highlight=Karchev).) They're doing this to hunt down a suitably ambiguous interplanar threat. They'll eventually get 'ported to a Faerun-y area too. But all of that is merely fluff, and bares little import on the thread at hand - little, but not none.

My thoughts are more pertaining to "what doesn't work where." Example: To the best of my knowledge, to cast in the Forgotten Realms you've got to have established some sort of ability to interact with the Weave, and also not have pissed Mystra off. As well, in Eberron, there...aren't really any of the standard D&D gods, are there? So the issue becomes "Wait, can I DO that here?" Personally, I'm of the inclination to make it a plot point that no, you CAN'T do that here - until you've fulfilled something. I.e. the party sorceror learns about the Weave. Except...I don't know how to deal with that in the case of the divine characters, that is if Eberron doesn't have the other gods.

The other thing I'm wondering about is setting-specific magic: for example, should a scepter work in Eberron? Should an Eternal Wand work in Faerun?

And yeah, okay. I know this is unnecessarily complicating things, but I was already kind of toying with this thought, and the players made it final for me when they thought the same thing and started testing out their stuff to make sure it worked.

So, thoughts?

tonberrian
2009-12-11, 08:02 AM
Eberron has the advantage that it is unclear whether or not the gods actually exist, and that someone can worship a god yet act contrary to the tenet's of the god's religion and still gain spells. "Foreign" character's beliefs should be enough to grant them spells, as clerics of concepts still work in Eberron and that other gods (usually) objectively exist, just somewhere else.

As for the Weave, make it a plot point.

In general, as a player I would be upset if there was no way to do my schtick in a setting, but I would be willing to work for it.

Also, eternal wands are not setting specific. They are in the Magic Item Compendium too.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-11, 08:09 AM
Eberron has the advantage that it is unclear whether or not the gods actually exist, and that someone can worship a god yet act contrary to the tenet's of the god's religion and still gain spells. "Foreign" character's beliefs should be enough to grant them spells, as clerics of concepts still work in Eberron and that other gods (usually) objectively exist, just somewhere else.

In general, as a player I would be upset if there was no way to do my schtick in a setting, but I would be willing to work for it.

Also, eternal wands are not setting specific. They are in the Magic Item Compendium too.

In FR you do not need to know about the weave... just having an understadning of it helps with casting that is all. and it allows you to grab weave esc feats...

Though i would stress the descriptions (like how you describe a spell effect) to be different from the ebberon equivelent.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-11, 08:21 AM

Oh right. I forgot that MiC took a bunch of stuff from the setting books.

And yeah, I wouldn't be like "Oh hey, arcane casters, BOOP you, no spells for you, they don't work on this plane." But I probably would make it a plot point for them to meet Big E if they were in Faerun, and he'd explain why they couldn't cast, help em out, etc.

EDIT:

In FR you do not need to know about the weave... just having an understadning of it helps with casting that is all. and it allows you to grab weave esc feats...

Though i would stress the descriptions (like how you describe a spell effect) to be different from the ebberon equivelent.

Actually, this brings up an interesting point - what happens if a caster takes a Weave-related feat and then isn't in FR? I suppose I should just give them a "Setting Specific Rotating Feat" or something.